RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I'm having a mid-life crisis. At 20.
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Given 160 thank(s) in 104 post(s)

I'm currently in college earning my BS in Biology (and later on in psychology) because I wanna become a neurosurgeon and psychiatrist. But I feel like I have too many ambitions. Ambition is good because it leads you to fulfilling a wonderful and meaningful life but I don't know if I can satisfy all my goals before I die. I've already used up about 1/5th of my life and I haven't achieved any of them. I mean, you wouldn't expect to, because yeah, only 20 years old. And about to be 21 this year. But I mean, I'm still in my prime (so to speak) I have alot of potential, because after about 30 your body begins to slowly decline, testosterone rates drop, spinal cord cells wear out easier, cells decrease in growth...I don't want to grow old, but I know it's an inevitability. So I want to spend as much time as I can doing what I want while I'm young and able. My primary plan was to become a neurosurgeon and just get a bunch of money together so I can build a fallout shelter to live in, and then open up a homeless shelter afterwards. But now I also want to complete a doctorate degree in both bio and psych and that takes lots of time, years. I don't wanna waste my entire youth studying. Somewhere down the line of life, I've stopped thinking in terms of what I want to do in the future, and now I can only think in terms of how much time I have left to do those things. My life is now literally a to-do list of things, with "die" at the end. I was thinking of putting off becoming a neurosurgeon until I got older and used my younger body now to become a private security contractor. Work for a private defense agency, like Academi. I could be a counter-terrorist or some other security expert. There's just so much to do and I don't know if I can do it all in one lifetime. My ambitions thus far are as follows:

-Become a neurosurgeon.

-Become a psychiatrist.

-Open a homeless shelter.

-Become a PDC (Private Defense Contractor).

-Start a revolutionary blend of FPS/RTS online game that doesn't suck, for once.

-Become a great artist.

-Attend a furry convention and start to get *actually* involved in the furry community. Also get a decent fursona, fursuit, etc. even maybe start designing them and artwork.

-Build a fallout shelter that I can live in. No, not because I actually think a nuclear war is upon us, but just because it seems cool.

-Write some novels detailing the struggle of youth, mental disorders, anarchism, things like that. i think I have alot of good ideas.

-Become a real activist in the youth rights and anarchist movements, rather than just spreading the word online and offering support. Though, I know even doing that is a big help to alot of others.

-Learn to *actually* DJ, not be some macbook pleb like most "DJs" consider themselves to be nowadays. Also, finish completing how to play piano. (I had lessons and my own piano as a kid but we had to move and my instructor moved away and we had to sell the piano because we couldn't take it with us. Thus, my learning was completely cut off and I never finished how to play it completely and read the sheet music.)

-Learn textile manufacturing and how to create customized clothing so I can do it myself with raw materials at home.

I think I might have some more but that's all I can think of at the moment. I have too many ambitions. Maybe I should just hold off on the becomin a doctor thing for awhile longer and devote my time to training to become a PDC. Thoughts? Advice?

Hidden stuff:
TRIGGER WARNING: THIS TRIGGER WARNING CONTAINS TRIGGER WARNINGS!

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

[Image: violator_blackbg_110x32.gif]
Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
Charles Manson Wrote:“Look down at me and you see a fool;
look up at me and you see a god;
look straight at me and you see yourself”
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
 Pirate Join the crew!Pirate
03-03-2015 03:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , vonunov , Missile , xcriteria
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
RE: I'm having a mid-life crisis. At 20.

Well most PDCs tend to have military or police experience. It's also a crap paying job with questionable benefits (they might sell you the whole good pay gig, but the minute you turn out to have some sort of problem, they cut you out and leave you to hang dry by yourself. Uncle Sam might be stingy but at least he looks after you...with some degree of what you may barely consider quality).

Make list of all ambitions, organize by potential time required to accomplish, then begin to outline the individual components required to achieve each one. See how the involvement in one ambition might affect the others. The best course of action for ambitious people is that which accomplishes as many opportunities within lifetime at a fair economical basis.

Once you do this analyzing, re-organize once more based on the amount of greater opportunistic growth each would give you. For example, becoming a PDC might not really give you much in the way of growth due to significant risk and questionable business ethics. Being a doctor might, but it takes a long time to become successful doctor and that can be considered a heavy cost you might not be willing to pay. (I know I could study med but I dont want to spend 10 years to finally become a doctor).

The problem isnt having too many ambitions. The problem is not analyzing each and every one to determine the most suitable options available from your decided ambitions. Plain ambition is a raw product. You must refine and manage it to actually benefit, or you might end up in your current situation wasting time worrying about wasting time!

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
03-03-2015 04:23 PM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

(03-03-2015 04:23 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Well most PDCs tend to have military or police experience.
True, but it's not a requirement. Some PDCs, like Academi, offer on-site training. If you do well you can get hired.

Quote:It's also a crap paying job with questionable benefits (they might sell you the whole good pay gig, but the minute you turn out to have some sort of problem, they cut you out and leave you to hang dry by yourself. Uncle Sam might be stingy but at least he looks after you...with some degree of what you may barely consider quality).
PDCs on average earn more money than a US soldier. Employment works on either a full-time or contract basis. Full-time is self-explanatory, whereas contract just means they deploy you to some place, you do stuff, if you survive at the end of the timespan you get paid and go back home. I plan to be contract only because I value a greater degree of freedom, and because I can deploy to many different places in the world. I think I want to get into travelling.
As for the army...eh, I never liked the idea of working for the government. Seems like it would be contradictory to my anarchist goals.

Quote:becoming a PDC might not really give you much in the way of growth due to significant risk and questionable business ethics
I'm prepared to take the risk. As for ethics, Academi is more tightly regulated than most other PDCs. And lets not forget that you cannot hold an entire organization responsible if sometimes a security official goes crazy and does something stupid. They'd fire that person if they did that. Besides, I'm responsible enough. I'm not some crazy murderer or religious zealot.

But yeah your other points you're right. I should see what I can do.

Hidden stuff:

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
03-03-2015 08:14 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Even if they provide training, you can't ignore the fact that a soldier or even a cop will be considered a better qualified candidate for the job. Their expertise, understanding of the business, and ease of obtaining a security clearance makes them rank higher in regards to hiring. This being the case, if you manage to get hired, you probably won't be paid as much nor will you have much good choices in jobs based on your inexperience.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
03-04-2015 02:11 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

(03-04-2015 02:11 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Even if they provide training, you can't ignore the fact that a soldier or even a cop will be considered a better qualified candidate for the job. Their expertise, understanding of the business, and ease of obtaining a security clearance makes them rank higher in regards to hiring. This being the case, if you manage to get hired, you probably won't be paid as much nor will you have much good choices in jobs based on your inexperience.

There's lots of openings and the jobs pay per day, with a percentage bonus for completing the entire contract. The higher ranking jobs usually require a degree for something in that matter but as for security work I believe the pay is the same all around. Besides, if I train there I can get jobs, and slowly prove my worth and move up to more challenging jobs as well. Contractors have to meet a certain set of criteria set by the PDA (Private Defense Agency) and once that's met they can go thru with a contract and take the job.

Even if my chances don't look so good I'm still determined to at least try. I REALLY want to be apart of a life like this.

Hidden stuff:

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
03-04-2015 09:25 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

What sort of life? One where you're generally considered despicable for "killing for money"?

"mercenaries" have historically never been popular with people. Regardless of what the marketing person might say, or what you think you might know, realistically PDC are NEVER well-liked by anyone. The fact you do said work for money makes you as an individual a very unpopular person.

So I personally think you're interest in becoming a PDC is based on misconceptions and an idealistic view of what in reality is a hard, uncertain and questionable career path that leaves you disliked, without support(any sign of PTSD and it's likely the company will drop you meaning you either hide your mental problems and soon end up committing some horrific act, or you seek help and get booted).

Honestly I'm not seeing what aspects of this area really makes you interested in it. I mean the reason lots of soldiers join is because not only the money, but they have skills only this sector really has any use for. It's one reason there are lots of ex-special forces guys working as PDCs simply because all their fancy special forces skills are for the most part meaningless in civil industry. The only options are train to fit into civil sectors, become PDC where they can use their skills, or become criminals.

You on the other hand have no such problem...

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-04-2015 09:43 AM
Aureate Offline
Renegade

Given 86 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

Before I begin, allow me to take this opportunity to possibly save you five minutes: if you are not an atheist, disregard all that follows. The existence of an afterlife dissolves your concerns with gusto, and you will not be able to benefit from my recounting of my own experiences.

As I address your unease, I will expend a significant block of text on what may seem like unrelated events from my life. I sense a connection, but if I seem off-topic, feel free to take them with a grain of salt.

When I was in third grade, I was introduced to an MMO by the name of Runescape. I quickly became lost in its pixelated plains and forests. I spent all of three years certifiably addicted. As my time away from the game grew increasingly infrequent, I began to rationalize the possibly wasted duration. I reasoned hopefully that the time spent bolstering my account and amassing a virtual fortune could, in rare cases, be pivotal in the real world. I fantasized about strange series of events that would lead to my success balancing on the virtue of my in-game achievements. I could not accept that the images of gold coins, numerous as they were, were but a mark of wasted time. For I had ambitions that far exceeded your own: I wanted (and expected) to become one of the richest people alive, discover and achieve immortality, and become a bestselling author.

I was eleven when two factors drove me to quit Runescape. Firstly, I became cognizant of the enormity of my pursuits. I too regarded my life as a checklist, and I was mortified to note that I was falling behind. Second, I realized that my extreme youth gave me a decisive advantage in writing novels. A well-written book by an eleven-year-old draws inordinate praise for the same reason the accomplishments of African American businesswomen in the 1950s were so widely acclaimed: my physical characteristics made me an unlikely--and so noteworthy--achiever.

I began work on a science fiction book immediately. I first wanted to complete it while I was still eleven, for optimal distinction, but I eventually accepted that I would be thirteen by the time it was published. This was a difficult concession to make, but my pace was simply irreconcilable with my hope.

As my writing improved with age, I began to notice that my earlier chapters were no longer on par with my standards. Every day I got better, and in contrast, the work behind me decayed. Also, I was exposed to gradually superior contemporary literature, which reminded me of my own unpracticed plot and style. I abandoned the manuscript after approximately 250 pages. It left an uncertain gap in my auspicious future, along with a blot on my departing past.

In the wake of that failure, I found it difficult to return to Runescape for any prolonged period of time, instead developing my views on major issues like politics, religion, and of course, compulsory education.

I didn't intend to leave my Catholic faith--only to strengthen it--but what I found in examining popular arguments for atheism was a validation of long-whispering doubts. It occurred to me that my focus on immortality had been a manifestation of those doubts. I had always been uncertain that another life awaited to render this one insignificant, and it now seemed that theologians' best defenses withered before the scrutiny of laymen.

At first, this thought didn't upset me. On the contrary, I found disbelief liberating: it meant that within the confines of my mind was a realm of total privacy. I could think about anything without fear of judgement. Further, I felt I understood a great deal more about the nature of my being. The average churchgoer holds that the keys to purpose and existence are buried in abstruse texts, from which even highly intelligent members of his religion can draw variant conclusions; he accepts that he cannot understand. I could now relay the exact process by which I derived my knowledge and confirm that it looked airtight.

But a trap had been set, and I was blissfully unaware until I wandered into it.

Ethereal immortality now utterly denied me, I needed to seek it in a different form. My odd dreams of curing aging became suddenly logical. I remember submitting an application essay for a prestigious boarding school (a bygone desire), in which I was required to describe an ambitious plan to change the world. I had only one. The essay began with me telling the reader he would surely be dead in 90 years and insisting that he was secretly terrified. How can one pursue change in society knowing that he will cease to care at all when he is dead? To affect others? Their corpses will not care how they were treated either! Without immortality, all accomplishments are equally void. Immortality is all that mattered, I wrote. Any person of wealth who does not pour it all into biological study is literally insane.

My fear of death, or rather the purposelessness it imposes upon its victims, soon became an obsession of its own. I made cynical remarks about aging and stayed awake at night to think about cancer and Alzheimer's.

In a flight of wishful thinking, I tried to convince myself again of an afterlife, this time with various "New Age" religions. I tried to push the Pragmatic Fallacy from my mind, but I have said before that belief is not a choice, and, indeed, one can only deceive himself for so long. I reverted to full-fledged atheism and dismayed.

Then I tried agnosticism. I reasoned that the mere possibility of an afterlife justified effort in this one. Maybe I could get away the Pragmatic Fallacy this time. The Dragon in my Garage, by Carl Sagan, helped put a swift end to that consideration.

I was going to age and die, and I could do little to even slow the inevitable march.

One needs some shadow of purpose to remain active, so I determined that I ought to work for a legacy. I should try to immortalize myself in memory, I decided, plastering my name in books, on products, and on libraries and community centers. To do those things, I needed at least a modicum of fame. With hesitant fervor, I renewed my struggle for prominence.

Then another two realizations:

(1) I wasn't going to be famous, in spite of the praise I received from adults.

Here are two random links that seem to have some scraps of relevance here.

- Book Publishings this Year

- A Slightly Exaggerated (and Somewhat Humorous) Description of said Plight

Like me, you were/are probably waiting for your lofty dreams to "kick off," after which you expect your life to launch suddenly into a chain of incredibly fulfilling exploits, but almost every major aim you listed requires great conscious effort, a substantial length of time, and remarkable luck. If you do not adjust your targets, you will probably find that you wait forever, and your "Midlife Crisis. At 20." will fade into an actual midlife crisis. Either you don't realize the incredible odds against making the money necessary to afford a fallout shelter, or you believe you will be an exception to the tune of one in a million. Starting a revolutionary online game is a life's goal in itself, towards which most fail, and it seems a single star amid your many constellations of dreams. People half your age are devoted to that one objective, and some can already program. Of those, we will never hear the names of 99 percent.

Sorry if that came off as dismissive, but I think you will find it increasingly accurate as you age and notice that the "kick off" point seems to wait ever at a distance. If you are going to aim for something, it should be narrower, and because your largest goals seem to take great amounts of time, I would caution you against rationing much-needed years away for credentials and security. You seem to want the success of a fortunate risk-it-all entrepreneur with the stability of a senior neurosurgeon. I don't think those overlap often.

But is it worth "aiming" for something at all in the traditional sense?

(2) It is impossible to be remembered.

To be fair, I don't know if legacy is important to you, but it was to me as I left agnosticism behind. I soon resolved to settle for any; even to be in a footnote at the bottom of a rarely read textbook is to secure a future for oneself. But my atheism had another, slightly different implication: the textbook would one day disappear. Even if I could accept the certain deaths of each individual, I could not, ultimately, produce any effect on the matter which was the medium for my potential longevity.

If I were to become the single most famous person ever to live, defy medical theory to persist for 10,000 years, and scrawl my name in every star of the Milky Way, the human species as a collective would eventually perish, our records would be destroyed, the stars would die out, and I would join Mozart and Einstein in the ranks of the forgotten*. A mathematician the likes of a deity could not reconstruct me or any of my works from the dead particles in the heatless abyss that is to replace our galaxy, planet, and persons.

*Here is one of the best essays ever written. Its author died in a car crash two days after graduating from Yale. Make of that what you will.

Your efforts, if you are to consider success preferable to failure, must not be temporal; what you achieve once you must regard as forever achieved.

If you say, for instance, "I want to be immortalized in my art," you have already failed. Your commitment, even if you defy all likelihood to remain popular for centuries, will be undone because of indubitable future destruction. Again, I don't know if you make that mistake, consciously or subconsciously, but I think learning to experience a joyful present, and recognizing that it matters only for the present, is a must. Your checklist mentality, not dissimilar to my own of the past, indicates to me that you want people to look back on your life with respect, but have you no further ambitions once those people are reduced to unthinking atoms? Who cares, then, whether they respected you?

Instead, say something like this: "I want to experience the passion of creating a work of art." Someday, it will not matter to anyone whether you did, but you lived in the present, and enjoyed the immense and enigmatic privilege that is temporary consciousness. When you have finished the work, you should be able to destroy it without remorse. Laboring to preserve it is dangerous, only because, like the construction of an eternal legacy, it is futile. It is to beg the universe for disappointment.

Your profile picture tells me you will appreciate this:

"Glance into the world just as though time were gone: and everything crooked will become straight to you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

As of late, with a philosophy akin to this--one of humility, present experience, and embracing of cosmic insignificance--I have been much more satisfied with my condition in life. I've not regained my grand purposes; I've lost them forever! And they have felt like nothing but burdens shed. I may yet become rich and famous, but it has been scratched from my checklist.

I now look back on my time playing Runescape as time well-spent. I was happy fighting mythical beasts on the slopes of imaginary mountains, and although I didn't make any lasting headway in life, I never really could have.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2015 07:26 PM by Aureate.)
03-04-2015 05:45 PM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , Sociopath
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Prioritize your list based on how badly you want to achieve each thing, and then re-prioritize the resulting list based on how quickly you can start working on each thing.

Basically, start on the most important ones that you can start on right now (or as soon as possible).

A lot of the things on your list are "become a __" ... is the end result the most important part? Or is it the process of getting there, like what Aureate said? If you only care about the end result but won't find any value in the journey... is it really worth the effort and time spent? Isn't there another way to get a similar result?

Maybe re-think those as "spend more time doing ___" ... as a result of doing it, you'll get better at it as well, but without needing to be so focused on "becoming" whatever the end result is... that way it doesn't look so much like a mountain, and is just one of many things you enjoy doing.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2015 05:17 AM by SoulRiser.)
03-05-2015 05:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Aureate , Sociopath , Missile
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

In combination with the advice given above, don't lose heart if you can't accomplish everything - the best things in life are a team effort.

I think it may be worthwhile to go out and meet people who represent each your ambitions. Rub shoulders with neurosurgeons and psychiatrists, invest your time (and money, if you have some to spare) in projects for the poor, and attend conventions or events that strike your fancy; participating in your favorite causes and learning more about your interests doesn't have to be a one-man job.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
03-05-2015 05:46 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , Sociopath
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I also agree with what DoA said - hang out with people who have already accomplished what you want to, and see what their lives are like. I've seen other people suggest this exact thing to people who want to be/accomplish something. Talking to people online can also work, but IRL would probably be better.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
03-05-2015 07:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(03-05-2015 05:15 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Prioritize your list based on how badly you want to achieve each thing, and then re-prioritize the resulting list based on how quickly you can start working on each thing.

Basically, start on the most important ones that you can start on right now (or as soon as possible).

A lot of the things on your list are "become a __" ... is the end result the most important part? Or is it the process of getting there, like what Aureate said? If you only care about the end result but won't find any value in the journey... is it really worth the effort and time spent? Isn't there another way to get a similar result?

Maybe re-think those as "spend more time doing ___" ... as a result of doing it, you'll get better at it as well, but without needing to be so focused on "becoming" whatever the end result is... that way it doesn't look so much like a mountain, and is just one of many things you enjoy doing.

Wut. Isn't that exactly what I said? :confused:

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-05-2015 01:38 PM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

(03-04-2015 09:43 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  What sort of life? One where you're generally considered despicable for "killing for money"?

"mercenaries" have historically never been popular with people. Regardless of what the marketing person might say, or what you think you might know, realistically PDC are NEVER well-liked by anyone. The fact you do said work for money makes you as an individual a very unpopular person.
I understand. But a few things:

1. Its unlikely anyone outside of work will know I'm a PDC unless I tell them personally.
2. I don't wanna sound like *that guy* but I don't care that much about others' opinions on this point specifically.
3. If the image is that bad maybe the field needs people "like me" (I can't really say that without sounding sanctimonious but oh well.) I could help change the viewpoints by being a living example.

Quote:So I personally think you're interest in becoming a PDC is based on misconceptions and an idealistic view of what in reality is a hard, uncertain and questionable career path that leaves you disliked, without support(any sign of PTSD and it's likely the company will drop you meaning you either hide your mental problems and soon end up committing some horrific act, or you seek help and get booted).
I've made a study on the subject and I can conclude that this life seems like what I want. Maybe it doesn't appeal to you, but it does to me. And yes the risk of PTSD is always there but again, its a chance I'm willing to take.

Quote:Honestly I'm not seeing what aspects of this area really makes you interested in it. I mean the reason lots of soldiers join is because not only the money, but they have skills only this sector really has any use for.
It just seems exciting. I know I'll sound like a blood knight here, but I just honestly like the thought of actually fighting for a good cause and the chance to fight people for it. Also the money. But don't take that the wrong way, I'm not some crazy murderer. Honestly, I would be OK in an cause-fighting life or something else like that which didn't include being a PDC. I would also go for other causes you could only fight for. Like, stopping the slave trade in Africa, rescuing captives from North Korea, rescuing abused kids from WWASP camps. Any of those I would gladly take over a PDA. But there's strength in numbers and joining a collective would give me more access to resources and opportunities. There's alot of bad in the world and sometimes I feel like I am the only person willing to help (notice I said willing, not aware). I mean sure, there's "legislation" and shit that supposedly does things...but that's all a load of crap. No law is going to stop actual slavery or stop WWASP camps from abusing helpless kids.

Also thanks to Soul for being understanding. You too, DoA.

And you, Aureate. Your post was like poetry in its purest form.

Popularity has its perks I suppose but I'm fine with being an obscure fade. As long as I know I did real work. Let the others say what they want, but I want to be personally responsible for saving lives, securing peoples' futures, or rescuing people from condemnation. I want to be a savior. Not like Jesus; I don't want to control peoples' lives. I just want to give them a chance to control their own.

Honestly, I don't know anymore...my future...

Also, it confuses me why the general populace has problems with PDCs but considering the armed forces okay. I mean, they are both getting paid, and both kill sometimes...

Hidden stuff:

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2015 01:59 PM by Sociopath.)
03-05-2015 01:57 PM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , Aureate
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Good that you don't care much of others opinions(seriously stated).

However I'd like to question how you intend to bring about a viewpoint change to an industry that's been viewed negatively for a time period that surpasses that of most existing religions?

As for Armed force, people don't view them negatively because they're doing there job for reasons other than money. A PDC explicitly does his or her job for the money. Regardless of their beliefs, their service is done for cash. In fact the armed forces dislikes PDCs more than the general public does(variety of reasons from envy to considering them unpatriotic)

I might be sounding negative here, but you're views of mercenaries is way too optimistic. Then again people learn in many ways, and trial and error can be one of them. All I can really say is good luck and hope it works out best for ya.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-05-2015 03:01 PM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

(03-05-2015 03:01 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  However I'd like to question how you intend to bring about a viewpoint change to an industry that's been viewed negatively for a time period that surpasses that of most existing religions?
Probably by just being a good person? By showing through actions and telling others that you can be a good PDC. I suppose. Open communication is a staple of getting people to accept others isn't it? I suppose there's not going to be some large scale acceptance "program" but oh well.

Quote:As for Armed force, people don't view them negatively because they're doing there job for reasons other than money. A PDC explicitly does his or her job for the money. Regardless of their beliefs, their service is done for cash. In fact the armed forces dislikes PDCs more than the general public does(variety of reasons from envy to considering them unpatriotic)
I suppose in perception the armed forces is viewed more positively than a PDA but is that outlook more justified? PDCs can also be counterterrorists and hostage rescue, just like a the armed forces can be. As for doing it exclusively for money, like I said, being an HRT or CT allows you to help people out just like the military doesn't it? If you think about the only real difference, or at least all I can see, is that one side, armed forces, is government supported. That to me seems like the only difference.

Quote:I might be sounding negative here, but you're views of mercenaries is way too optimistic. Then again people learn in many ways, and trial and error can be one of them. All I can really say is good luck and hope it works out best for ya.
I gave it some more thought, I'm still not completely sure. My other way of thinking is to go through with the doctor scenario and then just use the funds to secure "trips" around the world doing things.

Hidden stuff:

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
03-05-2015 03:18 PM
vonunov Offline
Badgrr

Given 186 thank(s) in 126 post(s)

Quote:-Attend a furry convention and start to get *actually* involved in the furry community. Also get a decent fursona, fursuit, etc. even maybe start designing them and artwork.

Oh, hi. :3

It helps a lot if you can get into a local scene and go to meets. I don't say "get into" like it's hard or anything. Just makes it easier to engage than joining forums or something.

What vague area do you live in?
03-05-2015 06:12 PM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

(03-05-2015 06:12 PM)vonunov Wrote:  
Quote:-Attend a furry convention and start to get *actually* involved in the furry community. Also get a decent fursona, fursuit, etc. even maybe start designing them and artwork.

Oh, hi. :3

It helps a lot if you can get into a local scene and go to meets. I don't say "get into" like it's hard or anything. Just makes it easier to engage than joining forums or something.

What vague area do you live in?

Indiana.

Hidden stuff:

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
03-06-2015 12:01 AM
Missile Offline
с гордостью девственница

Given 112 thank(s) in 82 post(s)

About the fursuits, they can be quite expensive and uncomfortable. Just a warning.

About being a PSC, does the company you want to join have the same training as the military?

Wake up people, and look at life around you
http://debunking911.com/?no_redirect=true

[Image: DK3ygqj.gif]
03-06-2015 02:51 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

(03-06-2015 02:51 AM)Missile Wrote:  About the fursuits, they can be quite expensive and uncomfortable. Just a warning.

About being a PSC, does the company you want to join have the same training as the military?

https://www.academi.com/

The website says their training has passed military standards as set by the US military. So, that means their training is greater than or equal to US military training.

You sound interested, Missile...do you think this is something you'd wanna do?

And yeah I know about the 'suits. Course, you can also buy these cooling packs that fit under the suit to keep your cool for hours on end.

Hidden stuff:

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
03-06-2015 11:21 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

If they mean minimum PT to pass, it's not a very high standard...

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-06-2015 12:55 PM
Missile Offline
с гордостью девственница

Given 112 thank(s) in 82 post(s)

(03-06-2015 11:21 AM)Sociopath Wrote:  
(03-06-2015 02:51 AM)Missile Wrote:  About the fursuits, they can be quite expensive and uncomfortable. Just a warning.

https://www.academi.com/

The website says their training has passed military standards as set by the US military. So, that means their training is greater than or equal to US military training.

You sound interested, Missile...do you think this is something you'd wanna do?

And yeah I know about the 'suits. Course, you can also buy these cooling packs that fit under the suit to keep your cool for hours on end.

I was planning on enlisting in the Marine Corps (or the Army) after high school, I may get into blackwater after they discharge me.

I had recruiters approach me multiple times in public, thinking that I'm an able-bodied adult.(people have told me that I look like a man until they see my face) and since I have some experience with firearms, I may be one of the first people drafted if we get into a major war at the end of the 2010s.

I always wanted to get a fursuit head with natural fox colors (my fursona is a fox) Almost all the fursuits I found always had colors that you wouldn't find on a normal husky/wolf/fox (like the rainbow ones). I did find a fursuit head that had regular Red Fox colors that I might get

Wake up people, and look at life around you
http://debunking911.com/?no_redirect=true

[Image: DK3ygqj.gif]
03-06-2015 01:08 PM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

I wouldn't recommend blackwater. They're very shady and caused a quite a few fuckups they tried sweeping under the rug. Why not become a merc in Academi or somewhere else instead of joining a state sponsored armed forces program? you'll make more money that way.

Hidden stuff:

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2015 01:20 PM by Sociopath.)
03-06-2015 01:19 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Uhm. Blackwater is Xe is Academi.

They changed their name a few times but it's the same people.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-06-2015 02:09 PM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

(03-06-2015 02:09 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Uhm. Blackwater is Xe is Academi.

They changed their name a few times but it's the same people.

Actually no, Blackwater SOLD the FACILITY to Academi, but academi is an entirely seperate group.

It says so on their website.

Hidden stuff:

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
03-06-2015 11:11 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Blackwater doesn't exist anymore. The founder kept the name, obvious copyright reasons, but when it comes down to it Academi is the successor of Blackwater. They changed leadership by selling to other groups(in fact they've been sold more than once to different groups). The founder isn't even in the business anymore.

Acadami is Blackwater+new name+new management.

So they've been hitting the reset button pretty hard.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-06-2015 11:33 PM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

I don't think that's fair. That's like saying if you sell a house you murdered someone in to someone else makes them partially responsible for the murder.

Hidden stuff:

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
03-07-2015 09:38 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Crisis Hotlines James Comey 9 4,853 04-21-2017 02:00 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  In a Crisis? Text "HOME" to 741-741 MusicAndFruits1092 14 8,312 04-18-2017 09:05 AM
Last Post: James Comey