RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we know someone who definitely decided not to go to uni and still lived?
stevehein Offline
Pariah

Given 327 thank(s) in 188 post(s)

Is there anyone on here who knows someone who definitely decided they didn't want to go to uni and were able to move out of their parents' house and live independently?

I am asking for some possible inspiration to those who don't want to go to a university.

I know there are some ideas here and there on SS for how to avoid uni, but I am looking to summarize them for my site and here both. Any help is appreciated.
02-02-2015 07:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sharpie Offline
Banned

Given 169 thank(s) in 113 post(s)
RE: Do we know someone who definitely decided not to go to uni and still lived?

I live with someone who never bothered with college and is quite successful at his sales job. Within six months of beginning the job he became the boss of nearly everyone there; people who have degrees and have been there for years.
02-02-2015 07:52 AM
 Thanks given by: stevehein
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

I know quite a few people who didn't attend college and did/are doing well. Around 40% of Americans between the ages of 25-60 have at least the equivalent of a two year degree. The other 60% aren't all starving on the street.

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
02-02-2015 07:58 AM
Dead Offline
Goon

Given 288 thank(s) in 176 post(s)

If soldiers count.

Which I guess they should, if they make it out alive.
02-02-2015 09:00 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

My doppleganger didn't go to uni but then got hit by a bus after HS graduation.

On a serious note, I have a friend who "dropped" because he really screwed up his first year and now goes to community college. He still lives with parents though, and is working hard to study...so nope.

BUT some guys in the warehouse of my last job never went to uni. They were like 24-26. One was the warehouse manager and making about 1.2k a week(~5k a month) despite never even finishing highschool. His brother was with him, also didn't finish. They lived together in some small sublet room in a low-class neighborhood.

They might not be very smart in terms of education, but they were pretty cool guys and seemed to be pretty well off(if you didnt factor in the amount they spent on their "suped-up" car and partying habits).

The common result is just being stuck in a hard grimey blue-collar job that often involves significant physical effort. You'll live but the odds of becoming really really rich is not as high, unless you start a very successful business based off your experiences.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
02-02-2015 01:46 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I know a guy. He skipped college/uni entirely and studied and passed the A+ computer technician course thing, and got a job at a computer store right out of high school. Now he runs his own business setting up and managing people's internet connections.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-02-2015 11:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

I dropped out, multiple times, because I felt I wasn't learning effectively. I found a good programing job after I first quit, pretty serendipitously. But they certainly didn't care about a degree.

Then I realized, programming wasn't for me, and went about trying to figure out this education thing.

A lot just comes down to what you're willing to do, or able to do without being miserable. There's a lot of work to be had that doesn't require credentials. Part of it is about connecting with people and finding it... part is about finding what will be a good fit, etc.

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2015 02:31 AM by xcriteria.)
02-04-2015 02:31 AM
vonunov Offline
Badgrr

Given 186 thank(s) in 126 post(s)

brainiac3397 Wrote:I have a friend who "dropped" because he really screwed up his first year and now goes to community college.

Good, he should do two-year at community college anyway. It's only a shame he spent money on first-year university.

You can learn pretty much any specialized trade instead of getting a 4+ year degree and earn good money. You might have to go to some form of a school, take courses, maybe get certifications, but it's all practical, maybe the kind of thing you'd like if you think you wouldn't enjoy university.

For my reply, see the bottom half of this: http://forums.school-survival.net/showth...#pid550819
02-16-2015 12:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: xcriteria , stevehein
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

Me. I went to colleges and dropped out multiple times. I got some things out of it, at least my first year, but these are all things that can be accomplished in more than one way.

Many 'unskilled" jobs don't require college, obviously, as well as various specialized trades, like vonunov mentioned, and all kinds of freelancing. There's a shift in many companies toward temporary contract-based workers, which has pros and cons, but it means a disruption in the "get a degree and work for one company for the rest of your life."

What really matters is figuring out the range of options out there, and what you enjoy, or at least tolerate, doing... and develop and demonstrate skills and ability and willingness do do things.

Certain careers do generally require degrees, of course, but even if you want to pursue those, all the disruption in higher ed, and the range of forms college can take, mean you don't need to buy into college-as-usual if you're not into it.

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
02-21-2015 12:48 PM