RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. Send me a message if you'd like to keep in touch with me & Steve.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Liberals, Don't Homeschool Your Kids
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 67 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Quote:Could such a go-it-alone ideology ever be truly progressive—by which I mean, does homeschooling serve the interests not just of those who are doing it, but of society as a whole?

In her N+1 piece, Taylor struggles to answer this question in the affirmative. Drawing upon her own upbringing, as well as on the traditions of the radical private school the Albany Free School, Taylor calls on parents and students to “empty the schools,” which force students to endure “irrational authority six and a half hours a day, five days a week, in a series of cinder-block holding cells,” she caricatures.

This overheated hostility toward public schools runs throughout the new literature on liberal homeschooling, and reveals what is so fundamentally illiberal about the trend: It is rooted in distrust of the public sphere, in class privilege, and in the dated presumption that children hail from two-parent families, in which at least one parent can afford (and wants) to take significant time away from paid work in order to manage a process—education—that most parents entrust to the community at-large.

Take, for instance, Sonia Songha’s New York Times account of forming a preschool cooperative with six other brownstone-Brooklyn mothers, all of whom “said our children had basically never left our sides.” Indeed, in a recent Newsweek report, the education journalist Linda Perlstein noted a significant number of secular homeschoolers are also adherents of attachment parenting, the perennially controversial ideology defined by practices such as co-sleeping with one’s child and breast-feeding for far longer than typical, sometimes well beyond toddlerhood. Meanwhile, in suburban New Jersey, one “hippy” homeschooler told the local paper she feared exposing her kids to the presumably negative influences of teachers and peers. “I didn’t want my child being raised by someone else for eight hours out of the day,” she said.

Recent reports of teachers and teachers' aides in Los Angeles and New York molesting children only flame the fans of such fears. But these stories make news exactly because they are so rare; there's something creepy about giving in totally to the terrors of the outside world harming one's child. In a country increasingly separated by cultural chasms—Christian conservatives vs. secular humanists; Tea Partiers vs. Occupiers—should we really encourage children to trust only their parents or those hand-selected by them, and to mistrust civic life and public institutions?

Moreover, being your child’s everything—her parent, teacher, baby-sitter, and afterschool program coordinator—requires a massive outlay of labor. Songha’s pre-K cooperative hired a teacher, but parents ended up putting in 10 to 12 hours of work per week administrating the program. Astra Taylor’s father was a college professor, while her mother supervised the four children’s “unschooling.”

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/d...ives_.html

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
01-26-2015 07:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 566 thank(s) in 340 post(s)
RE: Liberals, Don't Homeschool Your Kids

It's funny that this supposedly "progressive" ideological guide doesn't mention just asking the kid if he or she wants to go to regular school or not.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
01-26-2015 07:50 AM
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII , SoulRiser , Aureate , Dikont5 , megawatt , schoolsux , Missile , Jop , Superkamiguru , The man
lisafromjackson Offline
Revolutionary

Given 119 thank(s) in 76 post(s)

I think that's really interesting. I'm pretty far on the left, myself, and definitely think choosing not to attend school is a perfectly find decision.

Dialogue On Education ... where students and adults meet to hash out issues related to school.
01-26-2015 08:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MurkScribe Offline
Revolutionary

Given 111 thank(s) in 79 post(s)

Like anarchist left? But yes Liberals still have the same base ideology of people and boils down to the same fanatic dogmas like the church.

MurkScribe's Mental Health Status:
[Image: calvin+and+hobbers.png]
01-26-2015 10:59 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

It doesn't have to be politics. This is just a case of people looking for the gold in the shit.

It's like everything in America has become some pseudo-political reaction. You made a left turn? you must be a liberal! You bought a red scarf? probably a conservative.

Bleh.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
01-26-2015 01:08 PM
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII , UnicornLionWolf , The man
Rule_BreakerXVIII Offline
Revolutionary

Given 271 thank(s) in 168 post(s)

I'm a pretty possessive person; I (sometimes literally) hiss and bite the people who try to take decisions regarding me or anything of mine- like my sister, my cell phone, or even my cat. So, this sentence really alarms me.

Quote:This overheated hostility toward public schools runs throughout the new literature on liberal homeschooling, and reveals what is so fundamentally illiberal about the trend: It is rooted in distrust of the public sphere, in class privilege, and in the dated presumption that children hail from two-parent families, in which at least one parent can afford (and wants) to take significant time away from paid work in order to manage a process—education—that most parents entrust to the community at-large.

Take, for instance, Sonia Songha’s New York Times account of forming a preschool cooperative with six other brownstone-Brooklyn mothers, all of whom “said our children had basically never left our sides.” Indeed, in a recent Newsweek report, the education journalist Linda Perlstein noted a significant number of secular homeschoolers are also adherents of attachment parenting, the perennially controversial ideology defined by practices such as co-sleeping with one’s child and breast-feeding for far longer than typical, sometimes well beyond toddlerhood. Meanwhile, in suburban New Jersey, one “hippy” homeschooler told the local paper she feared exposing her kids to the presumably negative influences of teachers and peers. “I didn’t want my child being raised by someone else for eight hours out of the day,” she said.

So, if a certain part of society cannot walk, will they force all of it into wheelchairs to make the disabled people feel better? There is no way in hell that I'd entrust anything important to the public; and parents really need to draw the line between private and public matters. It's the parents' child, not the society's.

Don't play chess with pigeons-they'll just knock over the pieces, shit on the board and strut about like they won anyway.
-the Internet

Quote:May the days and months of flowing bitterness be rewarded...
To forget!?

Unforgivable!!
01-26-2015 05:38 PM
 Thanks given by: megawatt , Superkamiguru , The man
megawatt Offline
Defiant

Given 8 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

What's not progressive about making your own decisions? Or does someone define progressiveness as collectivism?
09-02-2015 03:41 AM
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)

Life is so grand in our town....

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
09-02-2015 07:59 AM
Cianna200 Offline
Pariah

Given 366 thank(s) in 210 post(s)

(Hmph) Ah don't keep your children at home where they are more free, send them to us where we will restrict their freedom severely and crush their little minds so that they are ignorant enough to OBEY without question! "Sound trustworthy don't we?"
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2015 08:47 AM by Cianna200.)
09-02-2015 08:43 AM
 Thanks given by: Jop , Dikont5 , Superkamiguru , The man , Rule_BreakerXVIII
schoolsux Offline
fuck this school bullshit

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

Exactly what should happen. Not.

schoolsux's countdown until school ends:

177 days until i get out of freshman year (aka hell)
1280 days until I get out of prison (aka school)

(as of november 28, 2016)

also Fu school

Hidden stuff:

schoolsux's "k" Count: 60
09-02-2015 10:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 67 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

(09-02-2015 03:41 AM)megawatt Wrote:  What's not progressive about making your own decisions? Or does someone define progressiveness as collectivism?
Supporting certain public goods isn't inherently collectivist. It's fairly standard progressive belief to support things (e.g., public education) that equalize opportunity.

Saying that it might be bad politics to homeschool your kids is not equivalent to saying it shouldn't be allowed; it's not taking away that decision.

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
09-02-2015 11:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  the most homeschool/unschool friendly states soli 12 832 03-22-2017 04:32 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  CAN YOU HOMESCHOOL YOUR HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA adrianjones 2 1,229 05-09-2015 12:53 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  Considering Homeschool or Unschooling. Need advice Facehead977 4 1,728 10-03-2014 02:06 PM
Last Post: Facehead977