RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how can parents explain to the school that they support their kid in 'dropping out'?
eerie138 Offline
Rebel

Given 47 thank(s) in 20 post(s)
Bug how can parents explain to the school that they support their kid in 'dropping out'?

So I need advice on how to withdraw my son from high school. His guidance counselor and the school psychologist are relentless. I can't imagine what a pain in the arse this will be. Haven't started the process yet, but my son told the GC what his plan is and of course she called me straightaway.
What's the best thing to say to get them off my back?? Argh
01-17-2015 12:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
RE: how can parents explain to the school that they support their kid in 'dropping out'?

You are the parent. If kid can legally be withdrawn/dropout and you support it, you walk in their and tell those bastards to sod off because it's your kid as well as the fact your kid can legally be withdrawn.

Parents these days fail to realize its YOUR CHILD. The admins didn't procreate,gestate,carry and deliver said kid. Hell they do a bad enough job teaching em.

Best way is simplest way,and pardon my language, by telling em to "Fuck Off".(assuming they become pain in ass if you state your support and intention to allow kid to dropout. Remember, most GC and Shrinks are materialistic scumbags brought up in a dog eat dog screw everyone else capitalist utopia. I'm more towards the side that in their mind, the dropout of your kid isn't a moral dilemma but a "oh shit this is gonna affect my record/school record and possibly reduce my pay thanks to current US education policy so like a debt collector I'm gonna bullshit and harass to prevent it from happening".

Then again I am pretty distrustful of GCs because I believe they are deceitful bastards who never properly lay out ALL the options as well as take credit for things the student accomplished(eg "I got this student into Harvard!" When in fact the student himself/herself had sufficient whatever to get in)

I see them as parasites, unnecessary spending, the last defense of a corrupt system taking advantage of the vulnerably unaware and confused students. They make college applications sound harder than filing taxes, they make up lies, spread myths, exaggerate, omit and manipulate. Their very existence and supposed importance(lots of colleges want GC signature and recommendation) makes them vile demons(if it hasn't occurred to you yet, I am generalizing all GCs as demons, thus demonizing). You aren't human to them, you're just a student...a statistic, one more reason they might get a raise to buy a new home while they ship you off to an expensive college and leave you in crippling debt because they didn't want to dissuade you by involving finances nor did they want to go through the trouble of explaining it.

That help ya? Biggrin

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
01-17-2015 01:27 AM
 Thanks given by: Dikont5 , KFC Nyan Cat , Rule_BreakerXVIII , eerie138 , Superkamiguru
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
how can parents explain to the school that they support their kid in 'dropping out'?

It's you and your son's decision... it's not up to them. You don't have to please them, and you don't have to care about anything they say.

Just tell them that he's leaving school, and that the decision has already been made, and there's nothing they can do to change your mind. Be polite, but firm.

If they still nag on after that, then do what Brainiac suggested. Razz

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
01-17-2015 02:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII , eerie138
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

Usually there's a formal process for withdrawing a student from school, to homeschool, and/or to "drop out."

For Ohio, here's the info: http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/School-...-Schooling

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
01-17-2015 07:01 AM
 Thanks given by: eerie138
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

Here's some more detailed information from that site:
http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/School-...-Schooling

It could be useful to get in touch with homeschooling/unschooling groups in your area, who can help with the specifics. One place to ask for advice and support is Lisa Nielsen's Homeschooling/Unschooling FB group.

EDIT: Here's a form you can use for the Superintendent notification:
http://education.ohio.gov/getattachment/...m.PDF.aspx

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2015 07:10 AM by xcriteria.)
01-17-2015 07:08 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)

Googled "Ohio homeschool notification sample letter" and got this site at the top. http://peachhomeschool.org/wp-content/up...-Form1.pdf

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
01-17-2015 09:25 AM
timf Offline
Revolutionary

Given 152 thank(s) in 65 post(s)
RE: how can parents explain to the school that they support their kid in 'dropping out'?

What's the best thing to say to get them off my back??

You can tell them it is a family decision and that while you appreciate their concern, in the last analysis it is your family and your decision.

If they persist, you can tell them it is for religious reasons and ask them if they want to hear about Jesus. That is usually sufficient to get most people to lose interest in you real quick.
01-18-2015 02:29 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)
ow can parents explain to the school that they support their kid in 'dropping out'?

How old is he and what state are you in?

Or are you outside the United States?

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2015 02:45 AM by TheCancer.)
01-18-2015 02:44 AM
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

Given 192 thank(s) in 120 post(s)
RE: brainiac3397

(01-17-2015 01:27 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  materialistic scumbags brought up in a dog eat dog screw everyone else capitalist utopia.

siiiiiiiigh BoredCuckoo
01-18-2015 03:40 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

It's a fun criticism. Razz

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
01-18-2015 03:51 AM
eerie138 Offline
Rebel

(01-17-2015 01:27 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  You are the parent. If kid can legally be withdrawn/dropout and you support it, you walk in their and tell those bastards to sod off because it's your kid as well as the fact your kid can legally be withdrawn.

Parents these days fail to realize its YOUR CHILD. The admins didn't procreate,gestate,carry and deliver said kid. Hell they do a bad enough job teaching em.

Best way is simplest way,and pardon my language, by telling em to "Fuck Off".(assuming they become pain in ass if you state your support and intention to allow kid to dropout. Remember, most GC and Shrinks are materialistic scumbags brought up in a dog eat dog screw everyone else capitalist utopia. I'm more towards the side that in their mind, the dropout of your kid isn't a moral dilemma but a "oh shit this is gonna affect my record/school record and possibly reduce my pay thanks to current US education policy so like a debt collector I'm gonna bullshit and harass to prevent it from happening".

Then again I am pretty distrustful of GCs because I believe they are deceitful bastards who never properly lay out ALL the options as well as take credit for things the student accomplished(eg "I got this student into Harvard!" When in fact the student himself/herself had sufficient whatever to get in)

I see them as parasites, unnecessary spending, the last defense of a corrupt system taking advantage of the vulnerably unaware and confused students. They make college applications sound harder than filing taxes, they make up lies, spread myths, exaggerate, omit and manipulate. Their very existence and supposed importance(lots of colleges want GC signature and recommendation) makes them vile demons(if it hasn't occurred to you yet, I am generalizing all GCs as demons, thus demonizing). You aren't human to them, you're just a student...a statistic, one more reason they might get a raise to buy a new home while they ship you off to an expensive college and leave you in crippling debt because they didn't want to dissuade you by involving finances nor did they want to go through the trouble of explaining it.

That help ya? Biggrin

Haha well yea I think I can see where you stand on this whole GC issueLaugh

The afternoon after I posted this thread proved to be quite interesting because I spoke with this GC for nearly an hour. She actually agreed that dropping out of school is a viable option; that homeschooling and unschooling are good things. Needless to say I was shocked. Also, after I told her about how horribly my son has been treated throughout his entire 'scholastic career', she apologized for everyone&eveything. Like that makes it any better? No. But still, this is not how I anticipated this conversation going at all, especially after all the crap she was saying in our first discussion.

I think the greatest reason I need help with doing this is that I bought into this way of thinking my entire life. Didn't I hate school and think it was such a waste of time? Absolutely, but I was afraid of being beaten for disobeying. So I shut my mouth, went to school, and subjected myself to all the unthinkable abuse there because I knew it would be 100x worse at home.

You're right, though, this whole school thing is just something fabricated to keep the masses in line. No one neds to adhere to this way of thinking anymore.

I hope that in finally recognizing this, I can encourage my son to embrace the words of Robert Frost:

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
01-19-2015 10:03 PM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , xcriteria
eerie138 Offline
Rebel

(01-17-2015 02:32 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  It's you and your son's decision... it's not up to them. You don't have to please them, and you don't have to care about anything they say.

Just tell them that he's leaving school, and that the decision has already been made, and there's nothing they can do to change your mind. Be polite, but firm.

If they still nag on after that, then do what Brainiac suggested. Razz

I think what kids--especially teenagers--don't understand is that parents are often just as lost as they are. Most definitely those who are like me. I had so many aspirations that were trampled on so many times when I was growing up that eventually they simply atrophied and became some niggling little thoughts in the back of my mind that came out a few times a day, then once a day, then once a week, then once a month, then....nothing. My spirit was gone because I believed everything I was told about school by my parents and teachers. Because I felt I had no other choice.

So, that's why it's difficult for me to do this. It's a whole new way of thinking. And it will take a lot to find support from those people in his life who are closest to him. But I will forge ahead and help him through this because I don't want to see what happened to me, and so many of my friends, happen to him.

And, as you said, if that doesn't work I'll just tell them to go fuck themselves Smilewinkgrin

(01-17-2015 07:08 AM)xcriteria Wrote:  Here's some more detailed information from that site:
http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/School-...-Schooling

It could be useful to get in touch with homeschooling/unschooling groups in your area, who can help with the specifics. One place to ask for advice and support is Lisa Nielsen's Homeschooling/Unschooling FB group.

EDIT: Here's a form you can use for the Superintendent notification:
http://education.ohio.gov/getattachment/...m.PDF.aspx

Thanks for links! Razz I've been reading up on all this info so I feel much more empowered. And the support group is fanastic
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2015 10:17 PM by eerie138.)
01-19-2015 10:14 PM
 Thanks given by: sswbm , SoulRiser , xcriteria
eerie138 Offline
Rebel

(01-18-2015 03:40 AM)Jop Wrote:  
(01-17-2015 01:27 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  materialistic scumbags brought up in a dog eat dog screw everyone else capitalist utopia.

siiiiiiiigh BoredCuckoo

I think that just about sums it up
Thumbsup
01-19-2015 10:21 PM
lisafromjackson Offline
Revolutionary

Given 119 thank(s) in 76 post(s)

If you make this move I truly believe you will find there is support out there for what you are trying to do -- You don't know me from Adam but I believe you can make this work!

Dialogue On Education ... where students and adults meet to hash out issues related to school.
01-20-2015 02:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
eerie138 Offline
Rebel

(01-20-2015 02:26 AM)lisafromjackson Wrote:  If you make this move I truly believe you will find there is support out there for what you are trying to do -- You don't know me from Adam but I believe you can make this work!

Thanks lisafromjackson Smile I have found so much support already. It's sad that the majority of it is from people who aren't involved in his day-to-day life. But we'll take what we can get!

(01-17-2015 09:25 AM)Trekkie_Aspie Wrote:  Googled "Ohio homeschool notification sample letter" and got this site at the top. http://peachhomeschool.org/wp-content/up...-Form1.pdf

Thanks! This is extremely helpful Biggrin

(01-18-2015 02:44 AM)TheCancer Wrote:  How old is he and what state are you in?

Or are you outside the United States?

He's 16 and we live in Ohio
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2015 09:19 PM by eerie138.)
01-20-2015 09:16 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)
can parents explain to the school that they support their kid in 'dropping out'?

I didn't realize so many states, including Ohio, raised the dropout rate to 18. It's amazing to me how many people think school is the right place for everyone. I was hoping I could just tell you to go down to the school and just tell them. I'm glad others here have some good ideas but to me it almost seems like more trouble than it's worth. Especially since they reserve the right to get up in your business about it. That really sucks. Good luck.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
01-21-2015 10:19 AM
 Thanks given by: eerie138 , SoulRiser
eerie138 Offline
Rebel

TheCancer:

yea that's the overwhelming feeling I've had, this is too much hassle because they want to try to be so strict about it here in Ohio. I think I've found some loopholes, though, so I'm optimistic this will come to fruition. Thanks for looking into it ☺️ The information I've found here is invaluable!
01-21-2015 11:47 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Seeking people have dropped out of high school without parent support (for interview) xcriteria 4 1,397 05-05-2017 04:14 AM
Last Post: the Analogist
  My parents think im selling pills at school. L0KI 8 2,940 02-22-2017 01:19 AM
Last Post: L0KI
  Parents wanting school to be demolished. DrGordonFreeman 4 2,612 01-14-2017 06:43 AM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  What would your parents do to you if you got in a fight at school? Let's Pretend This Account Never Existed 15 4,395 09-19-2015 02:05 PM
Last Post: James Comey
  Considering dropping out of school. Dead 26 6,016 07-04-2015 09:08 PM
Last Post: xcriteria
  Hangout tonight (Friday, 3/20) @ 7PM: How to talk to your parents about school xcriteria 2 1,689 03-21-2015 09:10 AM
Last Post: xcriteria
  How to talk to your parents about school lisafromjackson 1 1,139 03-05-2015 12:08 PM
Last Post: lisafromjackson
Exclamation parents have made my school experience 100% more hellish. c00ldud3 32 12,060 11-13-2014 08:27 AM
Last Post: Missile
  School just called my parents for bullshit rockstarjim22 7 3,709 04-02-2014 04:56 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Parents who have a crush on school Cianna200 4 4,623 02-14-2014 11:29 AM
Last Post: James Comey