RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forced into Sports by Parents
flann Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

We all seen it: Kids that don't want to play sports forced into it by their parents or even their school.

Some kids are already into one sport but don't want to play any more, but their parents make them.

1 month ago, a friend's friend was playing football. He liked playing football. But his parents also forced him into baseball. He really didn't want to play baseball. 1 month ago, however, he was hit by a baseball to his face. He couldn't see for a day. He saw in yellow for a week. He cannot even play football because of his injury. All because his parents forced him into a sport he did not want to play.

As for me, I am being forced into soccer. I usually LOVE soccer. I spend a portion of the day practicing by myself for soccer. However, I didn't want to join my new school's soccer team. I didn't want to because, even though soccer isn't really a 'rough' sport, it, at times, gets physical, and I am too small right now to play without getting hurt. But that's not really the only reason. It's because for conditioning I have to wake up at 5:00 AM on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I am already suffering because on those days I headache all day. It was supposed to be my summer, my peace from prison, and I am already suffering from school effects even though I am not in it.

Meanwhile, What's your opinion on forced sports?

Me hate.

War is stupid.
07-20-2011 01:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)
Re: Forced into Sports by Parents

Fucking hated the on year I did it because its just work with no pay.
Wasn't forced because lucky for me mom had custody of me.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
07-20-2011 01:52 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

A few times I ended up in sports, though I wasn't ever really forced, I always fucked shit up. I was signed up into Judo lessons IN FIRST GRADE yet I never wanted to do rolls or whatever, I just wanted to get into fighting or something. I didn't understand that it was for physical conditioning/etc, that is was serious business rather than just fighting for fun. I ended up getting kicked out.
Also I got signed up for playing a soccer game, also in first grade... without any practice or anything whatsoever that I can remember. I just stood in one side looking at the grass, walking around... until somehow, I got hit in my belly by the soccer ball and fell to the ground. And that's when the game ended, I don't know if I made my school lose or some shit.
I also got into basketball lessons but it was pretty boring and useless in the end, as much as I wanted it to be. I was never good at basketball.

[Image: glorious666.png]
07-20-2011 01:53 PM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

Heehee, I don't get forced into sports cause I'm a girl :troll:
Hidden stuff:
inb4 the "staying in the kitchen is a sport" comments

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
07-20-2011 02:00 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

.Manicrose. Wrote:Heehee, I don't get forced into sports cause I'm a girl :troll:
Hidden stuff:
inb4 the "staying in the kitchen is a sport" comments

Yeah shouldn't you be with your cooking or knitting team? :troll:

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
07-20-2011 02:23 PM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

My dad doesn't force me to do sports, but he wants me to as a way of "getting out and meeting new people."

Previously known as Derchin.
07-20-2011 02:39 PM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

Derchin Wrote:My dad doesn't force me to do sports, but he wants me to as a way of "getting out and meeting new people."
tell him they are into drinking and drugs. trollolol
07-20-2011 02:42 PM
Conformist Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

My parents sent me to tae kwon do classes back in 5th grade using excuses such as me being fat, which might have made sense, if we didn't own a fucking treadmill. Anyway, Tae Kwon Do taught me many things: Determination; no matter how many times people told me to give up, I continued t complain about why I was going to tae kwon do when we had bought a fucking treadmill. Sportmanship; tae kwon do is a sport first and a fighting technique second, and there are rules on where you can kick and punch the opponent and what attacks are legal. In addition to these lessons, I also learned that I should be very afraid of yelling Koreans. Since the main fighting move in tae kwon do is knowing how to kick above the head, I am much more flexible than I was. Now that I am a black belt everyone else is either impressed or envious of me as demonstrated by sayings such as 'Hey that kid is as flexible as a girl!' and 'Look, that kid is a black belt! Let's go beat him up!'
/end sarcasm
While there are some benefits of forced sports that can be compared to encouraging children to play outside, and teaching kids why eating healthy is important without obligating them to do anything, most of them can be offset by encouraging children to play outside, and teaching kids why eating healthy is important without obligating them to do anything. I find, or at least hope that it is a generally accepted fact that people work harder at things they do of their own volition as demonstrated by a phrase teachers often use, "If you spent half as much time doing *insert topic teacher wants to force you to work on* as you do on *insert topic teacher wants to deprive you off*, then you would to well in *insert topic teacher wants to force you to work on*
Most children like to play and most children like to learn. School ruins kids by forcing them to think of learning as a selfish instructor and a rigid discipline. Forcing children to play sports as opposed to just letting them play just as wrong as it is to force kids into schools instead of just letting them learn.
07-20-2011 03:16 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

Forced to play sport is fucking retarded. I wasn't forced to do anything really. All my sports are what I chose.
Tried:
AFL - hated it
Soccer - Loved it, played for 6 years, now play indoor soccer
Swimming - Quit, because I finished all the training and I was pro enough, good to know how to swim!
Tennis - Played on and off for a few years, it was good, but didn't LOVE it.
Kickboxing - Did it for a year, found classes way to easy and basic after a year, then quit.
MMA Grappling+Muay Thai - Did for a month, LOVED IT! But classes were expensive and got repetitive. Now I'm looking for another place. But parents won't let me go now because "it's too violent". FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Kids shouldn't be forced to play sports by their parents. Instead, give them a list of sports they might like and respect their decisions, some kids just don't like sports, or might not like to play it competitively, respect that!

Some parents though overreact with soccer. Like my soccer coach screamed at us everytime we lost, calling us weak little shits and that we played like little girls. It's funny...because that guy was a fatass and didn't know shit about soccer. A monkey could think of better tactics and he yelled at us because we got tired of running 15 laps, when he couldn't even run 1. And he told me off for wearing gloves to training on a FREEZING night. Calling us pussies. Anyway, I went home that day, and I nearly caught frost bite, had to keep my hands in a bucket of hot water and move them so they wouldn't go black.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
07-20-2011 03:55 PM
alexander144 Offline
Revolutionary

My school has compulsory Saturday sport which I fucking hate, they say "if you don't like it then leave the school" so I don't think they put much thought into the people who didn't want to wake up fucking early on a Saturday to play a sport they don't like.
07-20-2011 04:19 PM
Super Max61 Offline
Renegade

alexander144 Wrote:My school has compulsory Saturday sport which I fucking hate, they say "if you don't like it then leave the school" so I don't think they put much thought into the people who didn't want to wake up fucking early on a Saturday to play a sport they don't like.

Anti party measure? Because playing sports with a hangover early saturday would be much, much, worse.

Just sayin.

Calra Franklin is possibly a whore. She does need to fuck off, though. I don't sue Facebook when someone insults me on Facebook.

You are free to do as you are told.

"You are free to say what you want, as long as it doesn't offend anyone." Me

Dear Society,
Don't like gay marriage? Don't get one. Don't like abortions? Don't get one. Don't like drugs? Don't do them. Don't like sex? Don't have it. Don't like your rights taken away? Don't take away anyone else's.
Sincerely, be glad we're all different.

If anyone wants to be my penpal or something like that or just wants to talk hit me up.
07-20-2011 04:34 PM
schoolsuxak47 Offline
Rebel

i dont play any sport, as i am a geek. but no geek organisations around here. so, i am forced into online geekery and such.

"If You're Going Through Hell, Keep Going"
> Winston Churchill
"I Have Not Failed, I've Just Found 10,00 Ways That Wont Work!"
> Thomas Alva Edison
"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
>Albert Einstein
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
> A Sign In Albert Einstein's Princeton Office
07-20-2011 09:23 PM
schoolsuxak47 Offline
Rebel

i dont play any sport, as i am a geek. but no geek organisations around here. so, i am forced into online geekery and such.

"If You're Going Through Hell, Keep Going"
> Winston Churchill
"I Have Not Failed, I've Just Found 10,00 Ways That Wont Work!"
> Thomas Alva Edison
"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."
>Albert Einstein
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
> A Sign In Albert Einstein's Princeton Office
07-20-2011 09:24 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

lol sports.
I never understood the fascination, really.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
07-20-2011 11:51 PM
Crow Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Discovering your own body and muscles and shit, I guess. My parents are pretty nice, never forced me to do anything. So I did absolutely no sports until 2 years ago, when tried trampoline. It was a pretty good choice, now I can do double backflips all over the place and it encouraged me to do other sports, like kickboxing. But I think if they had forced me, i would hate those sports.

I'm so sick of all these people but I'm scared to be alone...
07-21-2011 01:41 AM
Phrozen_Soul Offline
From Now Until Velociraptor

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

My parents forced me into football and baseball. Fucking hated it. Football and baseball both had practice everyday from right after school to 6:30 pm. Sucked because i basically had 2 or 3 hours of free time every freaking day. An hour most days after homework.

"Ask them no more questions, never hear them lying"

People say the problem with me is I have psychotic tendencies and care not about other human beings I don't like and or know. So?
07-21-2011 02:19 AM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

Sports is utterly useless for getting fit, because you can get fit at your own rate and motivation without being humiliated by faggots at a gym or at home or something
07-21-2011 03:05 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

I loved basketball, soccer, and baseball... my parents started getting crazy with it and I began to hate physical activity... took a while for me to like it again... Once that happened I began to enjoy sports again.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
07-21-2011 06:02 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

My parents never made me do anything like that. They made me clean my room.

Why don't you just not go? What will happen?

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
07-21-2011 11:04 AM
Phrozen_Soul Offline
From Now Until Velociraptor

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Prince Rilian Wrote:My parents never made me do anything like that. They made me clean my room.

Get beat and grounded until i do.

"Ask them no more questions, never hear them lying"

People say the problem with me is I have psychotic tendencies and care not about other human beings I don't like and or know. So?
07-21-2011 12:56 PM
flann Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Phrozen_Soul Wrote:
Prince Rilian Wrote:My parents never made me do anything like that. They made me clean my room.

^Sounds pretty damn close, if not exact.

The coach is the best so far in my life; team is ok; I still don't want to wake up that early.

War is stupid.
07-21-2011 02:58 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Phrozen_Soul Wrote:

Call CPS. Also, how old are you? Are your parents really that much stronger than you? I'm not trying to say that what you have to face isn't a big deal. I'm just trying to think of how you could get out of it.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
07-21-2011 03:08 PM
IhateschoolbecauseIhateusingeffort Offline
Defiant

RE: Forced into Sports by Parents

I am currently having that problem, My mom is forcing me to pick a sport. I stay fit and run with my dad and the only sport I like is horsebackriding. I only ride about once a week but run a lot with me dad. Although its not a matter of me staying fit that she cares about, she says its for me to be a well rounded person (I guess Im just naturally a square) I dont really like to be around people as much anymore (I was homeschooled through middle school) She only wants me to do a sport because she says it gives me a better chance of being picked by a college. Im not saying I dont want to go to college but I DONT want to do any sports!!! My dad is ok with me not doing a sport he just wants me to make sure I stay fit! I wish my dad could convince my mom but shes the one who rules the house.Pirate2 I really hate this because whenever I try to ask her she ignores me and tells me I HAVE to choose one. I really want to convince her to not make me do a sport BrickwallCry2ShootingThunder
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2016 08:00 AM by IhateschoolbecauseIhateusingeffort.)
02-14-2016 07:52 AM
DreamRebel Offline
Previously Lucky-Feet

Given 113 thank(s) in 77 post(s)

I had an issue with my grandmother and the Polish dance troop. It's not that I didn't want to join, or that she didn't want me to join, but freesh she's a nightmare of pressure when I have recitals. Nothing better than a school drama club, though; I just go to school without telling her that performance day means an all day dress rehearsal and I get to perform without the hassle of a stage granny.
Parents should just mind their own business; As contradictory to their duty as it may seem, it's actually better that way. They actually aren't here to boss us. We're all people, for the love of Pete.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2016 10:51 AM by DreamRebel.)
02-15-2016 10:49 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
RE: Forced into Sports by Parents

(02-14-2016 07:52 AM)IhateschoolbecauseIhateusingeffort Wrote:  I dont really like to be around people as much anymore (I was homeschooled through middle school) She only wants me to do a sport because she says it gives me a better chance of being picked by a college.

Why did they stop homeschooling you?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-15-2016 12:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Sad I did something bad during Sports Day and I think I'll get excluded from school. Marlena403 11 5,418 06-27-2017 05:13 AM
Last Post: James Comey
Sad I did something bad during Sports Day and I think I'll get excluded from school. Marlena403 0 1,826 06-24-2017 10:38 PM
Last Post: Marlena403
  At my school you need to have a 2.0 gpa to play sports c00ldud3 8 2,295 04-30-2015 10:03 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Schoolwork for sports? Dirtbikemike 15 4,062 01-18-2012 08:33 AM
Last Post: Dirtbikemike
Sad Extracurricular lessons FORCED on you by your parents Luizao876 11 2,742 11-26-2011 10:08 PM
Last Post: Efs
  [most girl excuse to get off sports class]FAILED!!!! Tears_Of_Wind 39 7,083 02-26-2010 02:03 AM
Last Post: AMomentOfClarity
  Sports teacher ends up cancelling sport for a month Stealth 16 2,905 08-26-2009 03:21 AM
Last Post: Amortisatie
  School Sports teams payback123 10 2,207 02-10-2007 09:27 AM
Last Post: payback123