RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My School's Anti-Free Time Policies
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

Given 244 thank(s) in 167 post(s)

Today my school had a (false alarm of a) carbon monoxide leak and we had to sit in the high school auditorium for two and 1/2 hours. I learned that my school has a policy that states that students cannot do non-academic things during their spare time. And by non-academic, I mean anything that doesn't directly have anything to do with classes. This means that the teacher can call you to the office for: reading articles/magazines/non-AR books, playing games, drawing, basically anything that has nothing to do with schoolwork or Accelerated Reader. I'd already noticed that teachers were putting more restrictions on spare time earlier this year, but today I got confirmation.

During the false alarm, The principal told everyone "WE'RE IN SCHOOL NOW, SO PUT ALL OF YOUR ELECTRONIC DEVICES AWAY." He then made us read for 15 minutes......which turned into 30 minutes, and then put on that extremely staged Dateline bullying video that I've watched 3 times now and all of the 8th graders at least two. The principal said it's because "this situation isn't ideal but it still needs to be educational." After doing a little research, I actually found out that this is a rule. That's just wrong in my view.

City YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/kfcnyancat
City Tumblr: http://kfcnyancat.tumblr.com (no longer operational due to personal issues)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" - Donald Rumsfeld

For anyone who remembers me going on an archive binge: Thank you all. I know I ended it being a drama queen, I don't really agree with the ideology anymore, and I'm really not the same person I was (I went through a neopagan phase!) but still this site was the first online community I was in. I graduated from school and turned 18. Time flies. KFC Nyan Cat, June 20, 2019.
01-10-2015 03:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: xcriteria
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Almost everything is educational... their definition of learning is just horribly broken.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
01-10-2015 11:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: xcriteria , Superkamiguru , Avatar Korra
Missile Offline
с гордостью девственница

Given 112 thank(s) in 82 post(s)

Welcome to the gulag

Wake up people, and look at life around you
http://debunking911.com/?no_redirect=true

[Image: DK3ygqj.gif]
01-10-2015 11:52 PM
 Thanks given by: KFC Nyan Cat
lisafromjackson Offline
Revolutionary

Given 119 thank(s) in 76 post(s)
RE: My School's Anti-Free Time Policies

(01-10-2015 11:22 PM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Almost everything is educational... their definition of learning is just horribly broken.

Education is a consequence of experience....once you look at it that way, you see how much negative learning goes on along with the "positive."

It's like a prescription medication. It was engineered to take away migraines but it also makes you puke. You don't advertise, "Take this pill and you will puke!" You call that a side-effect.

Same thing with learning. You're taught a lesson in something, and you find it difficult. So maybe you are learning a little bit about the content, but you've also learned that learning that thing is unpleasant and difficult.

Dialogue On Education ... where students and adults meet to hash out issues related to school.
01-11-2015 02:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: KFC Nyan Cat , xcriteria
MrAnonymous Offline
Armed with a Keyboard

Given 70 thank(s) in 42 post(s)

Learning doesn't have to be unpleasant.

"If you wanna know how not secure you are, just take a look around. Nothing's secure. Nothing's safe. I don't hate technology, I don't hate hackers, because that's just what comes with it, without those hackers we wouldn't solve the problems we need to solve, especially security."

-Fred Durnst

[Image: vipersig.jpg]

███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
███▓███████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███▓▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬▓█
███████▓█████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓╬╬▓█
████▓▓▓▓╬╬▓█████╬╬╬╬╬╬███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█
███▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓██╬╬╬╬╬╬▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
████▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
███▓█▓███████▓▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███████▓╬╬╬╬▓█
████████████████▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█
███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬▓▓▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
████▓▓▓╬╬╬╬▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
███▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██
█████▓▓▓▓▓████▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██
████▓█▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓▓██╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██
████▓▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█▓╬▓╬╬▓██
█████▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█▓╬╬╬╬╬▓██
█████▓▓█▓███▓▓▓████╬▓█▓▓╬╬╬▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬███
██████▓██▓███████▓╬╬╬▓▓╬▓▓██▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███
███████▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬████
███████▓▓██▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓████
████████▓▓▓█████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█████
█████████▓▓▓█▓▓▓▓▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓██████
██████████▓▓▓█▓▓▓╬▓██╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███████
███████████▓▓█▓▓▓▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓████████
██████████████▓▓▓███▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██████████
███████████████▓▓▓██▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███████████
01-11-2015 04:14 AM
 Thanks given by: KFC Nyan Cat , xcriteria
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

Given 244 thank(s) in 167 post(s)

(01-11-2015 04:14 AM)MrAnonymous Wrote:  Learning doesn't have to be unpleasant.

This is a simple statement. One that nobody gets. Learning doesn't have to be unpleasant. But nobody with authority understands this. All of the fun ways of learning will sadly not get you a job (lets' be real, as good of an idea unschooling is, nobody will take it seriously until the anti-school movement gains enough traction to be constantly reported on and isn't taken seriously right now) because they weren't administered by a guy in a suit who makes six figures at the expense of millions of kids.

City YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/kfcnyancat
City Tumblr: http://kfcnyancat.tumblr.com (no longer operational due to personal issues)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" - Donald Rumsfeld

For anyone who remembers me going on an archive binge: Thank you all. I know I ended it being a drama queen, I don't really agree with the ideology anymore, and I'm really not the same person I was (I went through a neopagan phase!) but still this site was the first online community I was in. I graduated from school and turned 18. Time flies. KFC Nyan Cat, June 20, 2019.
01-11-2015 11:32 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Gotta screw em at their own game. Bring something educational but not related to your grade level(like some higher level stuff). Wait for them say nor educational or someshit. Then point out how and why its educational and that the board of ed will be hearing about their comment you recorded on a device.

If board of ed ignores. Write all members a letter. Then write to city council and mayor. Then state legislature. Then governor. Then representative of district. Then senate. Then to dept of ed. Then to white house.

And write.write.WRITE! till they finally freaking undersrand.

Worked in Shawshank redemption....

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
01-11-2015 01:40 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

That's horrible, KFC. There are obviously so many ways for learning to happen. And free time has benefits that go beyond traditional learning, too, like learning how to make choices about your own use of time.

(01-11-2015 11:32 AM)KFC Nyan Cat Wrote:  
(01-11-2015 04:14 AM)MrAnonymous Wrote:  Learning doesn't have to be unpleasant.

This is a simple statement. One that nobody gets. Learning doesn't have to be unpleasant. But nobody with authority understands this. All of the fun ways of learning will sadly not get you a job (lets' be real, as good of an idea unschooling is, nobody will take it seriously until the anti-school movement gains enough traction to be constantly reported on and isn't taken seriously right now) because they weren't administered by a guy in a suit who makes six figures at the expense of millions of kids.

It's worth noting that some people, including people in authority, do understand this. Maybe not in your school, but there are schools that are run in very different ways.

Also, many people do take the idea of unschooling and interest-based learning seriously. More people are learning about better ways to promote learning, and we can be part of that trend.

But it's true that in many cases, people need a nudge, and there needs to be a lot more reporting about all this. We can be part of that, though. Show people you know some of the articles and videos and websites that show how learning can work.

How that applies to the most oppressive schools, is a harder question, but even then, I encourage people to ask why authorities set the policies they do, discuss other ways to do things, and report back here about what you learn. That could be a step toward developing better materials and reporting, that might reach more people in authority.

Thoughts?

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
01-11-2015 09:35 PM
lisafromjackson Offline
Revolutionary

My daughter had her computer confiscated because she was doing research on a video for John Greene's Campaign for Awesome. She was researching charities and causes that she could make a video for. The principal was doing one of those remote monitoring things, found that she wasn't doing "school work" and confiscated her computer for 2 days.

Now, to be brutally honest, it's my fault, or partly so, because as a school board member I voted for a policy that says school computers are only to be used for school work.

However, I'm not sure that as a principal I would have enforced the policy in this particular instance.

I do think that the policy needs to change, though.

Dialogue On Education ... where students and adults meet to hash out issues related to school.
01-11-2015 11:36 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

By confiscate 2 days, do you mean to say that the school took and withheld property that did not belong to them?

In most societies...that would be called theft.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
01-12-2015 02:47 AM
lisafromjackson Offline
Revolutionary

It was a school computer. Interesting though....if we had an open device policy we'd probably have rules governing that as well.

01-12-2015 02:54 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

My HS once did something pretty controversial. They used Bluetooth on their phones to determine who had a device on them.

Course students later stopped leaving their Bluetooth on...

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
01-12-2015 02:57 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

Wow

That's pretty sinister

I hate those situations where there's some kind of perceived danger. Bomb threat, intruder, gas leak, or whatever. I usually have to keep my students in a confined space, limit or completely forbid mobility, and insist on calm and silence. And on top of that I feel a real sense of responsibility for my students' well-being, especially on the off chance that something serious really was happening.

It seems weird to forbid phones though because games and texting or whatever keeps the students occupied with something non-disruptive. But then some students get furious when they can't use their headphones but I have to keep them at the ready to receive instruction. Anyway, I find it very stressful.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
01-15-2015 12:47 PM
FUCKSchoolKCUF Offline
Not a confused teenager

Given 15 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

I don't see how that school district is not being boycotted. Prisoners get treated better than that.

Minimum security prisoners housing violent Massachusetts criminals

[Image: 62068445059.jpg]

Hidden stuff:

[Image: 9ie56Hv.jpg]
01-25-2015 05:44 AM
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru
Superkamiguru Offline
Resistance Leader

Given 84 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

(01-11-2015 09:35 PM)xcriteria Wrote:  Also, many people do take the idea of unschooling and interest-based learning seriously.

But,those really ought to be taken infinitely more seriously than everything else,by just about everyone,then and only then can we say we've had our first major victory.

Hidden stuff:
"CONSENSUAL incest is not wrong. (Abuse victims: being abused by a relative does not make it wrong for others to have consensual incest, any more than rape by a stranger makes all sex wrong. Sex and assault/molestation are two different things.) An aversion became common in humans that aided in population growth as one disease couldn't wipe out the human race. That's not a problem anymore.

Consensual incest is very common. You know people who have been involved, whether you know it or not.

There is no rational reason for keeping laws or taboos against consensual
incest that is consistently applied to other relationships. Personal disgust or religion is only a reason why one person would not want to personally engage in what I call consanguinamory, not why someone else shouldn't do it. An adult should be free to share love, sex, residence, and marriage with ANY consenting adults. Youthful experimentation between close relatives close in age is not uncommon, and there are more people than you'd think out there who are in lifelong healthy, happy relationships with a close relative. It isn't for everyone, but we're not all going to want to have each others' love lives, now are we? If someone thinks YOUR love life is disgusting, should you be thrown in prison?

Some people try to justify their prejudice against consanguineous sex and
marriage by being part-time eugenicists and saying that such relationships inevitably lead to “mutant” or “deformed” babies. This argument can be refuted on several fronts. 1. Some consanguineous relationships involve only people of the same gender. 2. Not all mixed-gender relationships birth biological children. 3. Most births to consanguineous parents do not produce children with significant birth defects or other genetic problems; while births to other parents do sometimes have birth defects. 4. We don’t prevent other people from marrying or deny them their reproductive rights based on increased odds of passing along a genetic problem or inherited disease. It is true that in general, children born to consanguineous parents have an increased chance of these problems than those born to nonconsanguineous parents, but the odds are still minimal. Unless someone is willing to deny reproductive rights and medical privacy to others and force everyone to take genetic tests and bar carriers and the congenitally disabled and women over 35 from having children, then equal protection principles prevent this from being a justification to bar this freedom of association and freedom to marry.

Some say "Your sibling should not be your lover." That is not a reason. It begs the question. Many people have many relationships that have more than one aspect. Some women say their sister is their best friend. Why can’t their sister be a wife, too?

Some say “There is a power differential.” This applies least of all to siblings or cousins who are close in age, but even where the power differential exists, it is not a justification for denying this freedom to sex or to marry. There is a power differential in just about any relationship, sometimes an enormous power differential. To question if consent is truly possible in these cases is insulting and demeaning.

Some say “There are so many people outside of your family." There are plenty of people within one’s own race, too, but that is no reason to ban interracial marriage. So, this isn't a good reason either. Let consenting adults love each other the way they want!"-Keith Pullman

01-16-2017 07:50 AM
 Thanks given by: The man
Geicosuave Offline
Gay Ass Demon

Given 69 thank(s) in 40 post(s)

I fucken hate policies like this, I feel like there are levels to this:

Do whatever you want
Do something related to school
Do something related to this class

in most cases, kids just do whatever they want unless its really enforced

well would you look at the time its time to gay
01-16-2017 07:56 AM
ColossalBlocks Offline
Rebel

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

My old school district enforced this policy. When someone called in a bomb threat, we had to be evacuated to the church across the street. While we were sitting in there, the principal made us read copies of the bible, i was an atheist by then, and i found this has utter bullshit. Got my phone taken away, as did tons of other kids for not reading the bible. The guy was trying to get passwords out of phones for accounts, but mine was dead and locked. Same person also did "cleavage checks", which led to his demise.
01-19-2017 12:40 PM
Superkamiguru Offline
Resistance Leader

Given 84 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

(01-19-2017 12:40 PM)ColossalBlocks Wrote:  My old school district enforced this policy. When someone called in a bomb threat, we had to be evacuated to the church across the street. While we were sitting in there, the principal made us read copies of the bible, i was an atheist by then, and i found this has utter bullshit. Got my phone taken away, as did tons of other kids for not reading the bible. The guy was trying to get passwords out of phones for accounts, but mine was dead and locked. Same person also did "cleavage checks", which led to his demise.

That's disturbing...

Hidden stuff:
"CONSENSUAL incest is not wrong. (Abuse victims: being abused by a relative does not make it wrong for others to have consensual incest, any more than rape by a stranger makes all sex wrong. Sex and assault/molestation are two different things.) An aversion became common in humans that aided in population growth as one disease couldn't wipe out the human race. That's not a problem anymore.

Consensual incest is very common. You know people who have been involved, whether you know it or not.

There is no rational reason for keeping laws or taboos against consensual
incest that is consistently applied to other relationships. Personal disgust or religion is only a reason why one person would not want to personally engage in what I call consanguinamory, not why someone else shouldn't do it. An adult should be free to share love, sex, residence, and marriage with ANY consenting adults. Youthful experimentation between close relatives close in age is not uncommon, and there are more people than you'd think out there who are in lifelong healthy, happy relationships with a close relative. It isn't for everyone, but we're not all going to want to have each others' love lives, now are we? If someone thinks YOUR love life is disgusting, should you be thrown in prison?

Some people try to justify their prejudice against consanguineous sex and
marriage by being part-time eugenicists and saying that such relationships inevitably lead to “mutant” or “deformed” babies. This argument can be refuted on several fronts. 1. Some consanguineous relationships involve only people of the same gender. 2. Not all mixed-gender relationships birth biological children. 3. Most births to consanguineous parents do not produce children with significant birth defects or other genetic problems; while births to other parents do sometimes have birth defects. 4. We don’t prevent other people from marrying or deny them their reproductive rights based on increased odds of passing along a genetic problem or inherited disease. It is true that in general, children born to consanguineous parents have an increased chance of these problems than those born to nonconsanguineous parents, but the odds are still minimal. Unless someone is willing to deny reproductive rights and medical privacy to others and force everyone to take genetic tests and bar carriers and the congenitally disabled and women over 35 from having children, then equal protection principles prevent this from being a justification to bar this freedom of association and freedom to marry.

Some say "Your sibling should not be your lover." That is not a reason. It begs the question. Many people have many relationships that have more than one aspect. Some women say their sister is their best friend. Why can’t their sister be a wife, too?

Some say “There is a power differential.” This applies least of all to siblings or cousins who are close in age, but even where the power differential exists, it is not a justification for denying this freedom to sex or to marry. There is a power differential in just about any relationship, sometimes an enormous power differential. To question if consent is truly possible in these cases is insulting and demeaning.

Some say “There are so many people outside of your family." There are plenty of people within one’s own race, too, but that is no reason to ban interracial marriage. So, this isn't a good reason either. Let consenting adults love each other the way they want!"-Keith Pullman

01-21-2017 08:39 AM
 Thanks given by: The man

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How do you pass time in school? Depression101 13 6,175 05-04-2017 12:51 AM
Last Post: the Analogist
  Time to arrest students for skipping school/class, UnschoolShqiponjë 26 14,423 04-27-2017 06:27 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  Why Does the Anti-School Crowd Lean Left? Aureate 8 4,513 02-15-2017 06:56 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  What would your school free life be like? LiptomaticMate 23 10,658 01-16-2017 03:03 AM
Last Post: HSHARK
Bug I think it's time for us to do something about the school system. rockstarjim22 25 11,355 07-28-2015 01:18 PM
Last Post: thesupremeanarchist
  Anti-School Yet Pro School MurkScribe 2 2,537 07-08-2015 12:29 PM
Last Post: Dikont5
  my school's tardy policies are full of bs c00ldud3 10 4,107 03-31-2015 09:47 AM
Last Post: Martins
  Starting to Homeschool Session 1: Why Should I Homeschool? (free for a limited time) xcriteria 1 1,864 03-03-2015 09:43 AM
Last Post: Eidolon
  Reflections: Looking back on my time on School Survival James Comey 3 2,943 02-21-2015 12:43 PM
Last Post: xcriteria
  school is anti-night people craxyguy562 12 4,645 01-17-2015 08:42 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397