RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Kill an Emperor [CLOSED]
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
To Kill an Emperor [CLOSED]

The Sea Land Interregnum is an event I briefly touched upon during the main story of GoSS - at some point in Sea Land's history, the Seastriders (a dynasty of Emperors descended from the empire's magically-powerful founder) were removed from power by the Fawsums (an opportunistic noble family who claimed to be direct descendants of the Empire of Sea Land's first Empress).

This text-based adventure, though, is much unlike the main story and existing sidegames to Geography of SS, and is intended to be a largely self-contained story.

The object of this game is simple: All interested players (that means you, forum users) will control the actions of a single character. I will be the GM (Game Master) who relays the results of your actions to you, and keeps track of the status of this character. The objective of this character is simple: Kill would-be Emperor Faustus Fawsum by any means necessary, as a message to the rest of his family not to betray the will of the people. Fulfillment of this objective will not be easy - the new Emperor has every advantage whereas the player character is merely a greenhorn adventurer. In the likely event that the character dies, a new one will be created with the same objective.

Anyone may join and submit actions, though bear in mind that I prefer formats like "Head north." or "Ready my weapon." or "Cast 'Soul Tear' on the lowly beggar.", not "okay go 2 were da emprer guy is and kill im". Also, I reserve the right to ignore the inputs of trolls or spammers.

If you have questions, I'll answer them as best I can. Anyway, shall we get started?

You awake in your bed, at home. After weeks of preparation, you have collected ten packs of long-lasting food rations that should keep for several weeks, a canteen full of fresh water, the commoner's clothes you are currently wearing, and fifteen pieces of silver with which to buy more equipment.

Your home is rather small, consisting of only one room. The door outside is on the east side of the house.

Hitpoints (your health, which falls when you take damage, abbreviated as HP): 20/20 (full)
Mana points (your magic - used up to cast spells, should you learn any - abbreviated as MP): 8/8 (full)
Silver (your money, spent when buying and received when selling goods with traders): 15

Inventory:
Homemade Food Rations (10)
Canteen (full)
Generic Clothes - equipped

Spells:
None

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2015 03:10 PM by Ky.)
12-03-2014 03:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ky Offline
Shadow

(RP, Open) To Kill an Emperor

Tl;dr version - This is a generic text adventure that you can participate in by saying things like "I head east." or "I search the room for supplies.", and then I write the thing

12-04-2014 02:36 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Walk East>Leave House

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
12-04-2014 02:59 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

You exit your house and stand just outside your front door.

You notice that your mother is working the fields just north of you. She glances your direction as you step outside.

There's farmland, trees, and dirt roads around, as far as the eye can see, with the exception of the distant cities and a large gravel road a short walk to your east.

HP: 20/20
MP: 8/8
Silver: 15

Inventory:
Canteen (full)

Spells:
None

(This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 03:14 AM by Ky.)
12-04-2014 03:13 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Wave to mother>Say "I'm heading to the market I'll be back soon!">Walk East

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
12-04-2014 03:15 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

She waves back with a smile and returns to her work.

You walk to the gravel road, the directions of which appear to correspond almost directly with north and south. If your memory serves, the northbound path will lead you to the village of Elmwood, while heading south will eventually take you to the industrial City of Granite.

Though this road seems to be a common thoroughfare for merchants, none have currently passed by at this time of morning.

Inventory:
Canteen (full)

Spells:
None

12-04-2014 03:22 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Walk North>Whistle a tune

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
12-04-2014 03:32 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

You walk along the road towards Elmwood, whistling as you go. Now that's a catchy tune!

As you make your way north, you begin to see less farmland and more forest on either side, though you can spot the town on the near horizon.

Strangely, you still haven't encountered any travelers on the road, and no horse-drawn carts have passed you by.

Inventory:
Canteen (full)

Spells:
None

12-04-2014 03:38 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Continue North, with caution>Keep eye on forest

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
12-04-2014 03:44 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

You continue north, ever watchful of your surroundings.

Your caution has paid off - you can see battered merchant carts and a fallen tree blocking the road in the distance, and can barely make out at least one huddled figure in the adjacent brush. This has all the signs of an ambush...now to hope that they haven't seen you!

Inventory:
Canteen (full)

Spells:
None

12-04-2014 03:50 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Take off Shirt>Tie arms around head>Hide food and coins in thick brush>Find thick branch>Begin walking north whistling totally oblivious to surrounding(a bit loose in the head is what your after)

OOC:FYI this'll be my last. Gotta go to class soon. Hopefully it'll be picked up. If not I'll be back in a few hours Smile

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
12-04-2014 04:37 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(OOC: I hope someone picks it up too. Also, I'm willing to take suggestions on how to be a better GM.)

You wear your shirt as a headband of sorts and loosen your facial muscles in order to appear less sane. As you discreetly hide your valuables in the brush, you come across a discarded tree branch that could be somewhat useful as a temporary blunt weapon. You holster your makeshift club in a belt loop as though it were a ceremonial sword, completing the illusion that you've completely lost your marbles. Once that's done, you head north with a swagger in your step, seemingly without a care in the world, and whistle loudly. Now that's a catchy tune!

As you near the roadblock, two bandits spot you and yell "Cacaw" as they leap from the brush. (You mentally note that their bird calls are unconvincing.) Four more bandits approach from the other side of the roadblock and vault over it to join their two comrades. Each are decked out in a mish-mash of rags, tanned fur, and scraps of leather armor, and possess various weapons made of rusty iron. You are outnumbered and ill-equipped in comparison.

"Stand and deliver!" the meanest-looking sonofabitch among them demands. A few of his fellow bandits feel uneasy about your appearance.

Your 15 silver pieces, 10 homemade food rations, and full canteen are safe in the brush.

You are slightly thirsty. You are slightly hungry.

Silver: 0

Inventory:
Generic Clothes - equipped + modified
Makeshift Club - equipped

Spells:
None

12-04-2014 04:56 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(OOC: Come on, guys, try it. It's fun. What have you got to lose?)

12-04-2014 01:59 PM
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

Given 317 thank(s) in 184 post(s)
RE: (RP, Open) To Kill an Emperor

(OOC: Do I just pick up where the other person left off?

Sub's Mental Log!
We've had a lot of fun, guys.
Fulltime Member, 2013-2014

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
12-04-2014 03:06 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(OOC: Yep, pretty much.)

12-04-2014 03:28 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Say "Deliver and stand!" with a creepy smile

(OOC:HAH! Too late Sub. Look who's the 6in now)

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
12-04-2014 03:41 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Pick a number between 1 and 10

12-05-2014 02:41 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
12-05-2014 04:42 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Player response: 7; desired response: 6; difference: 1; result: marginal success

The brute looks at you menacingly and opens his mouth to speak; however, he does not say anything. Instead, he turns to the bandit next to him and mutters, "Uh, this is supposed to be the part where the guy gives us money. What am I supposed to say to that?" The skinnier bandit shrugs.

"Yeah, well, uh, listen up," says the brutish bandit. "You can go about your business, but don't tell anyone what we're doing here, got it? Or, uh, uh, yeah!"

With that, the six bandits chatter between themselves and slowly return to their positions in the brush alongside the roadblock. You can continue north unharassed.

Your 15 silver pieces, 10 homemade food rations, and full canteen are safe in the brush a short distance to the south.

You are slightly thirsty. You are slightly hungry.

Inventory:
Generic Clothes - equipped + modified

Spells:
None

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 06:20 AM by Ky.)
12-05-2014 06:11 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Continue North to Village> Put shirt back on>Upon arrival report the bandits(I'm assuming a militia will form to beat the suckers?)

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
12-05-2014 07:20 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(OOC: That it will, probably. Read on.)

You vault over the roadblock and continue heading north. Along the way, you put your shirt back on.

It isn't long before you arrive on the outskirts of Elmwood. It is a frontier village established in a large clearing between dense woodlands, dotted with log cabins serving as homes and businesses, countless wooden barricades roughly surrounding its perimeter, and even a few crumbling stone walls near a small stone fort on the far northeast side of town.

You inform the first guardsman you come across that the bandits have established a trap along the main road to the south.

He nods gravely and says, "Yes, some game hunters told me as much early this morning. I'd like to clear them out, but we've been hard-pressed to keep the peace here ever since the disappearance of Emperor Eustace Seastrider a few months ago. We just haven't had enough guardsmen to simultaneously defend the trade routes and prevent rioting within the town."

You left your 15 silver pieces, 10 homemade food rations, and full canteen behind in the brush along the road south of you.

You are thirsty. You are hungry.

Inventory:

Spells:
None

(This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 07:35 AM by Ky.)
12-05-2014 07:35 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Suggest "Why not tell townspeople that the bandits plan to sneak in here and rob them, and ask them to defend themselves? Instead of rioting against the guards, they can riot against the crooks that threaten their very lives?"

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
12-05-2014 11:00 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

The guardsman mulls it over.

"Well, yeah, I suppose that could work," he says, "but that would run the risk of some of them getting killed. Still, it's a better plan than waiting around for something to happen - if you want to see it put in action, I'd start by bringing it to the attention of the Captain of the Guard. You'll find him at the derelict fort, can't miss it." He points to the aforementioned fort in the northeast corner of the town as he says this. He starts to resume patrolling, then turns back to you and adds, "Oh, and stay safe, citizen. These are dark times."

Though the road to the south of you is gravel, the streets become a mix of gravel and dirt within the limits of Elmwood. There appears to be a tavern and a small marketplace directly to your north, though there's nothing you can buy there without the silver you left behind. There is also a path northeast that would take you straight to the fort.

Inventory:

Spells:
None

12-05-2014 02:30 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Walk NorthEast to Fort>Find Captain of Guard>Present idea to defeat bandits>Ask for some water and food

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
12-06-2014 02:19 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(OOC: Feel free to join anytime, guys.)

You walk along the northeast path and enter the fort.

You locate the captain in the main hall, identifiable due to his distinctive cape and ceremonial longsword, and relay your idea to him along with a request for supplies. Unlike the other guard you talked to, he does not appear to be the friendly sort.

"Great," he grunts. "Just what we need, another outsider telling us how to do our jobs, and begging us for food, no less. See, I'm the one who comes up with the plans here, and we're doing just fine so far. We might lose a few days' trade, but I'm sure those bandits will pack up and leave eventually if we keep a strong guard presence in the town. And as for your request for free supplies...hell no. Get lost!"

You're starting to see why the guards are worried about rioting.

Inventory:

Spells:
None

12-06-2014 02:58 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Travel to Tavern>Listen to hear of riot rumors

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
12-06-2014 06:32 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

You leave the fort and head southwest into the town. In what looks to be Elmwood's town square, you find a building called the Shrouded Hedgehog Tavern, and enter.

The innkeeper eyes you as you walk in. Of all the gossip among the drunken townsfolk gathered there - including that regarding those bandits you encountered earlier - you have not yet overheard any talk of rioting.

You are quite thirsty. You are quite hungry.

Inventory:

Spells:
None

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2014 07:16 AM by Ky.)
12-06-2014 07:16 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Take a gamble at getting something to eat/drink with "Anyone want to hear of how I fooled those bandits on the way here? For a drink and some bread, you'll get a lovely story!"

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
12-06-2014 08:34 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Pick a number between 1 and 6

12-06-2014 09:15 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
12-06-2014 11:13 AM