RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Truancy A word for ditching school without a good excuse
MurkScribe Away
Revolutionary

Given 111 thank(s) in 79 post(s)

Writing is rather personal and uncomfortable for me personally so I have a hard time writing even for something short but I feel that I need to address and confront my problem. I've been quite depressed for a long time ever since I resisted against schooling. Theres quite alot of baggage and backlash from my parents, threatening to take away my computer and stuff that I cherish while yelling at me telling me that I need a high school degree or else I can't get any job, even though I'm very calm and deliberate telling them that simply is a myth and there's many ways you can get a job without a degree. I refused to go to school at the beginning of the school year and when I did go to school, I would usually skip classes and try to learn things I wanted read, my current reading list is Leo Tolstoy's work so I can tell everyone that this guy understands The Bible. But then I got into a shit ton of trouble and then they reevaluated me to see if there was something wrong with me. A child social worker came to my house, because I refused to go to school I was sent to a psychiatrists to be reevaluated and in the report I have Opposition Defiant Disorder and Narcissism. I was sent to the alternative "therapeutic" school because I refused to go to school and cut classes. My Dad said if i don't go to school unless i'm sick then hes gonna call the cops, he told me not to oppress me, but to aggressively let me be informed. I can't really find any alternatives to homeschooling since I'll need supervision, I'm pretty much gonna have to stick going to school until 16 when I can take the GED. The alternative school is slightly better as in you have no homework and you get to play music at the end of the school day, but its still heartbreaking and emotionally damaging to sit there for 4 hours straight and do busy work. I feel to emotionally exhausted to do anything when I get home from school. The only time when I enjoy school is lunch, since I get to sit with the people I have in common with. I'm still trying to find alternative and ways to get me out of school, and I would love ways to make my school experience better.

Goddamm it posed it twice.

MurkScribe's Mental Health Status:
[Image: calvin+and+hobbers.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2014 11:23 AM by MurkScribe.)
11-23-2014 11:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: xcriteria , James Comey
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)
RE: Truancy A word for ditching school without a good excuse

Wow. Tolstoy changed my life and taught me so much about pacifism. I wish I were there to advocate for you. Stay strong and keep reading!

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
11-23-2014 12:04 PM
 Thanks given by: MurkScribe , xcriteria
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

I find it hilarious that people have so strongly ingrained the belief that the public school system is the grand and infallible concept of "normalcy" and anyone who resists or opposes has some sort of psychiatric problem.

Ya wanna know who's crazy? The idiots who childishly believe in the utopian idea that public school solves all social ills and that it is the natural will of god and science for it to exist as it does...despite it's many pitfalls and fallacies.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
11-23-2014 12:32 PM
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII , xcriteria , schoolsux
MurkScribe Away
Revolutionary

Quote:Wow. Tolstoy changed my life and taught me so much about pacifism. I wish I were there to advocate for you. Stay strong and keep reading!
Keep reading? Thats something my teacher would say, nonetheless thanks. It Literally put a smile in my face.

11-23-2014 01:16 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

Where I teach, it's probably less than 5% of the teachers who have actually read Tolstoy. But they sure kind sing and dance about how important reading is. Not that they bother reading anything of note themselves.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
11-23-2014 02:01 PM
 Thanks given by: MrAnonymous
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Interesting observation there.

How many teachers who shove books down our throats really practice what they preach?
or how many admins? how many politicians? how many corporate scumbags taking advantage of the system?

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
11-23-2014 03:21 PM
Mo the jo Offline
fighting the war

Given 63 thank(s) in 30 post(s)

Yeah. Schools don't practice what they preach. They preach democracy all the time, yet they aren't even democratic.
11-24-2014 04:26 AM
 Thanks given by: xcriteria , KFC Nyan Cat
Rule_BreakerXVIII Offline
Revolutionary

Given 271 thank(s) in 168 post(s)

Do you want advice? Or were you just venting? Because, if I were to tell you something, it'd be this- a fake surrender. As you pointed out you have to somehow stand this shit until you're 16, and even if I don't know how long that is, stop fighting and conserve your energy for now. I think, with the way your parents are acting, it'll be a struggle to get GED since to them school is "god". It's obvious that they don't care or don't want to care about you.Sadhug Don't waste your time on them; focus on yourself. I wish you Das Beste.

Don't play chess with pigeons-they'll just knock over the pieces, shit on the board and strut about like they won anyway.
-the Internet

Quote:May the days and months of flowing bitterness be rewarded...
To forget!?

Unforgivable!!
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2014 12:49 AM by Rule_BreakerXVIII.)
11-25-2014 12:43 AM
Username Offline
Drunkard

Given 228 thank(s) in 166 post(s)

I don't actually understand truancy laws, they don't make those that bunk off suddenly not do that. Just punishes those who do their shit, but need a break.
11-25-2014 03:13 AM
MurkScribe Away
Revolutionary

A combination of both really, I really needed to vent out on the atrocities and get advice on what to do on the path of defiance towards the system. It's honestly gonna suck having to deal with school for another 1 or 2 years.

11-25-2014 09:34 AM
MrAnonymous Offline
Armed with a Keyboard

Given 70 thank(s) in 42 post(s)

If school makes you hate it so much that you decide to skip it, then it has problems.

"If you wanna know how not secure you are, just take a look around. Nothing's secure. Nothing's safe. I don't hate technology, I don't hate hackers, because that's just what comes with it, without those hackers we wouldn't solve the problems we need to solve, especially security."

-Fred Durnst

[Image: vipersig.jpg]

███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
███▓███████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███▓▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬▓█
███████▓█████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓╬╬▓█
████▓▓▓▓╬╬▓█████╬╬╬╬╬╬███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█
███▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓██╬╬╬╬╬╬▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
████▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
███▓█▓███████▓▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███████▓╬╬╬╬▓█
████████████████▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█
███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬▓▓▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
████▓▓▓╬╬╬╬▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
███▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██
█████▓▓▓▓▓████▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██
████▓█▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓▓██╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██
████▓▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█▓╬▓╬╬▓██
█████▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█▓╬╬╬╬╬▓██
█████▓▓█▓███▓▓▓████╬▓█▓▓╬╬╬▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬███
██████▓██▓███████▓╬╬╬▓▓╬▓▓██▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███
███████▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬████
███████▓▓██▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓████
████████▓▓▓█████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█████
█████████▓▓▓█▓▓▓▓▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓██████
██████████▓▓▓█▓▓▓╬▓██╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███████
███████████▓▓█▓▓▓▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓████████
██████████████▓▓▓███▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██████████
███████████████▓▓▓██▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███████████
11-25-2014 01:13 PM
 Thanks given by: xcriteria
MrAnonymous Offline
Armed with a Keyboard

Given 70 thank(s) in 42 post(s)

Every time the students in Science class oppose the teacher's decision, our teacher says school is a dictatorship rather than a democracy.

Then there is this anonymous survey that asks about the school. One question of the survey asks, "How much of a voice do you feel you have in school (scale of 1-5)?" Oh boy... -_-

"If you wanna know how not secure you are, just take a look around. Nothing's secure. Nothing's safe. I don't hate technology, I don't hate hackers, because that's just what comes with it, without those hackers we wouldn't solve the problems we need to solve, especially security."

-Fred Durnst

[Image: vipersig.jpg]

███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
███▓███████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███▓▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬▓█
███████▓█████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓╬╬▓█
████▓▓▓▓╬╬▓█████╬╬╬╬╬╬███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█
███▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓██╬╬╬╬╬╬▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
████▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
███▓█▓███████▓▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███████▓╬╬╬╬▓█
████████████████▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█
███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬▓▓▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
████▓▓▓╬╬╬╬▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
███▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█
█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██
█████▓▓▓▓▓████▓▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██
████▓█▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓▓██╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██
████▓▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█▓╬▓╬╬▓██
█████▓███▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬█▓╬╬╬╬╬▓██
█████▓▓█▓███▓▓▓████╬▓█▓▓╬╬╬▓▓█▓╬╬╬╬╬╬███
██████▓██▓███████▓╬╬╬▓▓╬▓▓██▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███
███████▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬████
███████▓▓██▓▓▓▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓████
████████▓▓▓█████▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓█████
█████████▓▓▓█▓▓▓▓▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓██████
██████████▓▓▓█▓▓▓╬▓██╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███████
███████████▓▓█▓▓▓▓███▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬▓████████
██████████████▓▓▓███▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬██████████
███████████████▓▓▓██▓▓╬╬╬╬╬╬▓███████████
11-25-2014 01:25 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
11-25-2014 02:20 PM
MurkScribe Away
Revolutionary

Theres something wrong with society forcing kids to school, where they are already are confident, happy, confident, optimistic, good people turned into robots.

12-06-2014 02:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Lightbulb What makes a person think school is good? Lucas Gallindo 6 3,868 08-22-2016 10:35 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  How are most people good at school? MusicAndFruits1092 12 6,989 07-19-2016 01:45 AM
Last Post: the Analogist
Information Don't Stay In School (spoken word) xcriteria 11 6,399 02-24-2015 05:30 PM
Last Post: xcriteria
  a good analogy for the public school system Mo the jo 10 8,072 10-01-2014 03:41 PM
Last Post: TheCancer
  Your thoughts on truancy laws ..V.. 21 12,480 11-13-2013 11:45 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Education and School spoken word ..V.. 3 2,947 10-27-2013 04:13 AM
Last Post: xcriteria
  Truancy is deliquency James Comey 8 4,642 09-30-2013 03:58 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  School + me = not good. Ginormously 34 7,618 08-07-2013 11:29 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  "Intelligent Uniform" stops students from doing truancy Luizao876 35 19,494 10-09-2012 06:13 AM
Last Post: Trekkie_Aspie
  I may be good in school... jackrb 10 3,988 06-04-2012 11:05 AM
Last Post: SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT