RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] The School Survival Movement: Abolish Compulsory Schooling
chained to desk Offline
Renegade

Given 88 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

Hansgrohe, you're right that beefs are killing SS, but it's hard to get over beefs if a certain someone splits every "un constructive" post. Personally I support the concept of making school uncompulsory, but some things that have been said and done shouldn't stay unaddressed, like
the constant thread splitting and presumptious behavior
"I personally think DoA and I are the heart of SS". -SirMarty
10-29-2014 03:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Username , Gwedin , Alistoriv
Username Offline
Drunkard

Given 228 thank(s) in 166 post(s)
RE: [split] The School Survival Movement: Abolish Compulsory Schooling

ehh
if me and sharpie and gwedin left the forums it would just be just xcrit, brain, sirmarty and.. someone else

wee.

ye, but whoever split this is a giant fag
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2014 04:06 AM by Username.)
10-29-2014 04:05 AM
Gwedin Offline
dumb shithead

Given 559 thank(s) in 410 post(s)

(10-29-2014 03:32 AM)chained to desk Wrote:  Hansgrohe, you're right that beefs are killing SS, but it's hard to get over beefs if a certain someone splits every "un constructive" post. Personally I support the concept of making school uncompulsory, but some things that have been said and done shouldn't stay unaddressed, like
the constant thread splitting and presumptious behavior
"I personally think DoA and I are the heart of SS". -SirMarty

>read this
>notice thread is a split

this made me laugh a great hearty southern laugh
10-29-2014 05:08 AM
Sharpie Offline
Banned

Given 169 thank(s) in 113 post(s)

Yh i figured it'd be funny so i split it, do sumthin about it.
10-29-2014 05:42 AM
chained to desk Offline
Renegade

Given 88 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

wow that was quick, I made that as non-aggressive as possible, heck I even said I supported non-compulsory schooling.(which is true...)

Literally the only things I can remember thinking might be slightly pushing a few buttons were "a certain someone"," constant"," and "presumptuous behavior".

It must have been that quote that got it split, but honestly
if anyone is the " heart of SS",that's got to be xcriteria, he's been posting interesting, informative, and helpful things here as long as I can remember, SirMarty hasn't been around most of this forum for that long, I remember at some point he said for a long time he had only looked at School Talk and Venting.

I suppose I'll need to tiptoe very,very, carefully if I want to ever confront someone without getting split within 2 hours of posting...

EDIT:exact quote I meant to use is "DoA and I felt that we are the heart of this forum "
I'd like to hear a justification for this split, as i in no way see how i was trolling, attacking, or doing anything else that deserves a thread split. SirMarty in his movement for getting rid of compulsory schooling seems to be arguing for choice and essentially students deserving an educational institution that they would choose to go to because it can justify itself with logic of some sort.

Why then, does this post split not deserve a logical explanation?
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2014 07:46 AM by chained to desk.)
10-29-2014 05:47 AM
Username Offline
Drunkard

Given 228 thank(s) in 166 post(s)

(10-29-2014 05:42 AM)Sharpie Wrote:  Yh i figured it'd be funny so i split it, do sumthin about it.

vow of silence
10-29-2014 05:58 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Vhy was this split I dunt know.
At least when I split Gwedin's gif, it's because I was a faggot.

Srsly, step 1=can't moderate threads you create due to conflict of interest. This is just more evidence.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
10-29-2014 06:07 AM
 Thanks given by: no
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

It's worth noting that new people visit the site every day. A lot of them doing visit or join the forums... but from the site survey, there are a lot more people out there who aren't happy with school.

The question I'm asking is, what can we actually do about this?

Student Support Network and Student Voice are starting to get some momentum. If anyone wants to get involved in the conversations, let me know. A big goal is to actually helps students talk to their parents and teachers and show everyone what's wrong with school-as-usual and how education can be done in much better ways.

Maybe a network of outside support could help with that for some people stuck in school...

SS is definitely more than the core people on the forums... and I think if we produce some results, more students will be interested in becoming part of a community and network.

What do you think?

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
10-29-2014 06:25 AM
 Thanks given by: Alistoriv
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 31 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

To be honest, this rampant thread splitting is just something that is showing to me that the Forum helpers are just a failed experiment, good in theory, but bad in practice. Then again even the Moderators and Admins aren't doing a good job.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
10-29-2014 08:02 AM
 Thanks given by: Gwedin
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Oh plz stahp generalizing.

Otherwise moderators are abominations that should cease to exist!

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
10-29-2014 12:19 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [split] The State of School Survival, and beginning a Golden Age KFC Nyan Cat 23 12,712 11-07-2014 11:20 AM
Last Post: Missile
  The School Survival Movement: Abolish Compulsory Schooling MrAnonymous 5 4,279 11-01-2014 05:32 AM
Last Post: GamerGurl
  The School Survival Movement: Abolish Compulsory Schooling Gwedin 5 3,601 10-27-2014 12:49 PM
Last Post: Sharpie
  The School Survival Movement: Abolish Compulsory Schooling Username 2 2,875 10-20-2014 12:26 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  [split] The Abolish Compulsory Schooling Movement James Comey 30 17,343 10-14-2014 01:01 PM
Last Post: TheCancer
  The Abolish Compulsory Schooling Movement Chanku 5 4,092 10-10-2014 05:31 AM
Last Post: GamerGurl