RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How important is school compared to the rest our lives?
threeweekSlater Offline
Defiant

Given 3 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

Today, I was bored and I decided to calculate: "Excluding sick days, if I was do the minimum required schooling of my country (up until the age of 16), how much of my life would I have spent sitting behind a desk, listening to a teacher?", then adding the extra two years I could be doing in high school.

My results:
The minimum schooling requirement: 7 years (and a bit more)
... with the two extra years: 8 years 4 months 6 days 15 hours 12 minutes

On both of these... they equate to nearly half my life. (bleh, is really that long? Goingcrazy) I still have the compulsory exams of my country to do this year, and then I've got 3 options. I can either: get a job, vocational schooling, or suck up to my school for two more years to get the grades for going to a university. Since finding out this personal statistic, I've been wondering about how much I would really get out of school. I would like to do be some sort of designer/artist (architecture, art, engineering, e.t.c.) and I really don't want to work in a soul-crushing monotonous atmosphere of an office.
I'm interested to ask a few questions to users:

1) To what extent was/is listening to a teacher useful in your normal life?
2) How did you get to working your job? (If you don't have a job, feel free to skip this question.)
3) If you've left school, do you still keep in contact with your high school friends? If not, tell how long it took to stop contacting each other.
4) How useful is going to uni? (I would be very interested in the employability rates of a graduate.)
5) How long after leaving school did it take to forget "school"?
6) If you have a job/go to school, how do you manage not to get your soul crushed?

I ask those questions, since at school, you cannot "see" completely of your options by relying on one answer completely, especially if the person speaking to me did a completely different field to what you want to do Confused, or is inclined to lie (e.g. teachers). If I keep being told about the relevance of high school, on either side of the argument and am intelligent enough to know that a qualification might be worthless for getting a job, how relevant is school v.s. the rest your our lives?

EDIT: I accidentally edited the OP's original post and had to restore it. Sorry bout that.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2014 01:15 PM by James Comey.)
10-31-2014 07:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: xcriteria , SoulRiser , James Comey
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
RE: How important is school compared to the rest our lives?

Listening is always important. Course doesnt mean your teacher is saying the right stuff.
I got ma job via references and kept it with skillz
I keep in phone contact. Most of classmates were pretty close in friendship.
While I think benefits of uni are overexaggerated, unfortunately its true that uni will make a difference.
Depends on how much of a soft unpassionate obedient slave you are. True revolutionaries never forget, never surrender!
I sometimes hated going to work, but I loved doing ma job. Course now Im back in uni and its soul angering. I just find a solution to make things more towards my liking, and if unable I will harass the people in charge who can enact change

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
10-31-2014 07:12 AM
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

Given 233 thank(s) in 157 post(s)

Eh, probably only my 8th grade core teachers and a few outside 9th grade were worth listening to IMO. The rest were either quite hostile and/or to boring for me to ever think they could actually say anything useful.

So, to answer your question, probably slim to none.

2) How did you get to working your job? (If you don't have a job, feel free to skip this question.)
I got it by walking into the business a lot. Became a regular face in a few weeks, and an associate in the department I wanna work in is leaving in about a week so I will be her replacement.

3) If you've left school, do you still keep in contact with your high school friends? If not, tell how long it took to stop contacting each other.
Eh, only a very few on FB. I have a very few more on FB that I've added to keep up with them in the event they wanna talk to me but that's it. Not really a whole lot. School relationships, for the most part, are very forgettable and aren't that meaningful.

4) How useful is going to uni? (I would be very interested in the employability rates of a graduate.)
The usefulness of going to college/uni is grossly exaggerated, but in general it's projected you gain a lot more advantages continuing going to school than doing something unconventional (making a hobby a career). I will not be attending school ever again after my GED.

Honestly, I'll never forget it. I've left it, but all of the hate and pain that's been caused by the system has left it's mark. They say that with time things get better, but they don't. The mental images and emotional scars will always be there.

6) If you have a job/go to school, how do you manage not to get your soul crushed?
Not sure how it will be crushed since I'm going to like my job, but there will be days where I'll most likely not wanna go. I'll have to suck it up though, for the sake of my paycheck.

Seven crappy hours of our lives.
10-31-2014 02:32 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I don't remember much of what they said... so I'm guessing not much.

By starting this website (the one you're looking at right now). Then I starting learning stuff about making money from ads. Then I made a few more sites.

I kept in touch with 2 of them for a couple of years. They changed phone numbers, moved, etc. It kinda faded away. I still have them on Facebook, for what that's worth.

I have no idea. In my case it was only useful for finding an awesome bunch of friends, but of course, your mileage may vary.

I still haven't. (14 years later). Although I'm not entirely sure how to interpret this question?

I'm self-employed, so if I'm crushing my soul, it's entirely my own fault and I need to do something about it.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-01-2014 04:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: TasmSpectacular
Ami Offline
Renegade

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

It was not, as far as I can remember. It was often detrimental.

I translate for university students. Gf offered the idea and put some advertisement for me.

I keep contact with about 4.

I never went there, so I can't tell you. My long term goal is to work and create more democratic schools. Don't need uni for it, so didn't go. If you feel you need uni for something that's interesting for you and you don't want to learn it by yourself, I think it could be great.

Not sure about the question, but I think I stopped having bad dreams about it like 2-3 years after it, near the end of army service.

Self employed like soul riser, I play starcraft 2 until I can be arsed to translate more. No timetable except my own.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2014 09:42 PM by Ami.)
11-03-2014 09:41 PM
raingi Offline
Rebel

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I think what have I learn is the time when you left school,all you rememberd is what you learned.I left school when I was 17,but go back school when I am 19,make some new friends and start solve math problem again.sorry for the bad english,now I am doing my homework…eww,think I can defeat math , I guess.
11-03-2014 10:50 PM
mehr672 Offline
Spambot

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

School is important for every one to complete education and improve live standard. It is the easy way to learn many things about the world, society, culture etc.
11-29-2014 08:40 PM
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

Given 233 thank(s) in 157 post(s)

(11-29-2014 08:40 PM)mehr672 Wrote:  School is important for every one to complete education and improve live standard. It is the easy way to learn many things about the world, society, culture etc.
Hi, I'm posting this from my 3DS.

This post gave me Ebola...

Seven crappy hours of our lives.
11-30-2014 04:44 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Note the hyperlinked word to a suspicious link. Most likely spam. Not to mention the suspicious posting pattern with vague generalized replies.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
11-30-2014 10:48 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Sad Two teachers are refusing to let me do exams in the Hall with the rest of the class Marlena403 14 3,159 05-20-2017 05:36 AM
Last Post: Marlena403
  Important stuff school does not teach you. Michio-kun 17 5,556 01-30-2017 01:06 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  Lunch detention for the rest of the year awesomejuan36912 3 1,837 02-20-2016 09:50 AM
Last Post: Cianna200
  We'll be working at Mcdonalds the rest of our lives? HawkbitAlpha 3 2,521 03-19-2013 04:57 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  School is so important Prince Rilian 5 2,087 03-26-2012 03:56 PM
Last Post: Dirtbikemike
  School compared with government azlemegahottie 4 1,249 08-12-2010 05:29 PM
Last Post: LOON_ATTIC
  School chairs result in pain for the rest of the day KnowWhy 15 4,121 04-06-2009 11:47 AM
Last Post: AnonymousDragonkin