RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok guys, this is important.
Zstriker Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)
Ok guys, this is important.

http://www.school-survival.net/blog/p/c ... d-boy/1715

I was late to the game reading this, but it is just as important that we do something about this. Even if nobody is from Sweden, and even if the majority of us are minors, spread around the world, we have to so something to help these people. And the people like them. I'm tired of sitting around and taking it as the world throws punch after punch at the freedom of choice and the ability of parents to teach their children. They can't even leave the country, like that! So get your hug, get your guns, and get moving. There are people that need to be helped, and I'm opening recruitment to all of you.

Hug
Shooting
Nospam

*Insert awesome signature here*
Goingcrazy
"You can fight with only 2 things, your wits and your weapons."-Zach Eckard
Soldier1-"Remember the Alamo!"
Soldier2-"Didn't everyone die at the Alamo?"
Soldier1-"Don't remember that part!"
07-30-2010 08:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)
Re: Ok guys, this is important.

And I had though about living in Sweden Rolleyes
Hopefully this shit will end if, and when the Swedish Pirate Party takes over.

What will we do? Make internet petitions? That probably won't do shit. What do people in Sweden think about this?

[Image: glorious666.png]
07-30-2010 08:56 AM
Zstriker Offline
Revolutionary

Well, Sweden is a member of the UN, right? And the UN fights for freedoms and rights, supposedly. All we have to do is call attention to this kind of thing on a broader scale, and somebody is gonna catch on that we're serious.

Goingcrazy
07-30-2010 09:08 AM
KittyKatBlack Offline
Resident Brony

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

I don't think Sweden will care about what some Americans think, regardless.
07-30-2010 09:21 AM
Zstriker Offline
Revolutionary

Sweden as a country doesn't have to. If the people of Sweden hear that the people of another country are trying to stand up for somebody else's rights, it could convince them to do something as well. Nobody ever wants to make the first move.

Goingcrazy
07-30-2010 09:42 AM
KittyKatBlack Offline
Resident Brony

Zstriker Wrote:Sweden as a country doesn't have to. If the people of Sweden hear that the people of another country are trying to stand up for somebody else's rights, it could convince them to do something as well. Nobody ever wants to make the first move.
I think they'll view it more as Americans trying to be the world police and putting their noses where they don't belong. If Swedes want the right to home school their kids, they're gonna have to fight for it themselves.
07-30-2010 09:45 AM
Zstriker Offline
Revolutionary

The idea is more that if it can happen there, what's to stop it from happening here? And it wouldn't just be the US. We have members from other countries, right? Even Soulriser isn't in America, if I remember correctly.

Goingcrazy
07-30-2010 10:13 AM
KittyKatBlack Offline
Resident Brony

Zstriker Wrote:The idea is more that if it can happen there, what's to stop it from happening here? And it wouldn't just be the US. We have members from other countries, right? Even Soulriser isn't in America, if I remember correctly.
I don't think they'd care what country it was coming from unless it were there own, and how many active Swedish members do we have?
Plus, what they do over there has nothing to do with us unless it actually affects us, and it doesn't. We can't start telling other countries what to do because it *might* happen here. And if it does happen here, it probably won't be because of Sweden. Lots of Americans don't think home schooling is a good idea without the influence of other countries.
07-30-2010 10:57 AM
Zstriker Offline
Revolutionary

It's not even that issue, really. What they did was illegal. Taking the child away, and denying the parents the custody of their child even when the child was shown to not be suffering from any sort of negligence or abuse? It's against their own laws, if I remember correctly. It's not about that something similar could happen here. It's that once one country feels like it doesn't need to follow its own rules, nobody really does anything. It's like the old question, who polices the police? Or, to take a lame quote from a movie, who watches the watchmen? I could care less what country I live in. If it helped, I could move to Sweden. (However, even if I did live there, I'd leave immediately if something like the linked news story were to come up.) It's the idea that the government, any government, cannot do what it wants, when it wants, because it wants to. That child should have been returned to his parents, and the story would be done and over with. But that didn't happen. The state (seems to fit) refuses to admit they are wrong, and it is hurting that boy. As humans, how can any of us stand for such blatant disregard for civil rights?

Goingcrazy
07-30-2010 12:53 PM
KittyKatBlack Offline
Resident Brony

Zstriker Wrote:It's not even that issue, really. It's not about that something similar could happen here.

Then why the hell did you bring it up? Stick with the issue or don't.

It's not America's job to govern other countries unless you like the idea of imperialism. It doesn't matter what you do in the name of civil rights, they don't care what you think because you are not a citizen of the country, you are not effected by it, and it is not your job to tell them what they should do. Let Sweden deal with what Sweden does. It's their citizen's responsibility to hold their government accountable, not ours.
07-30-2010 01:05 PM
Zstriker Offline
Revolutionary

I meant the specific event. Maybe the same thing wont happen, but that our government could get even more ideas. And you know, I don't really care that they don't care what we have to say. And you know, it's amazing, the people on this site. I have had, and read, some of the greatest, most inspired conversations in my life on this site. I don't want my country to do or say anything about it. I'm making a stand as an individual. Look, I'm an American. But if I was living in Sweden, a thing I could do on any given day simply by buying tickets, then it would be ok for me to complain that they can't do the right thing? How does me living in a different country have anything to do with the fact that they screwed up? Why does me being American factor into the equation at all? I am concerned that a country's government has stepped outside of its bounds. I'm concerned that my country's government could do the same thing.
Heck, I know mine has. And I doubt that couple would turn down any sort of assistance in getting their child back.

Goingcrazy
07-30-2010 01:15 PM
KittyKatBlack Offline
Resident Brony

Zstriker Wrote:I meant the specific event. Maybe the same thing wont happen, but that our government could get even more ideas. And you know, I don't really care that they don't care what we have to say. And you know, it's amazing, the people on this site. I have had, and read, some of the greatest, most inspired conversations in my life on this site. I don't want my country to do or say anything about it. I'm making a stand as an individual. Look, I'm an American. But if I was living in Sweden, a thing I could do on any given day simply by buying tickets, then it would be ok for me to complain that they can't do the right thing? How does me living in a different country have anything to do with the fact that they screwed up? Why does me being American factor into the equation at all? I am concerned that a country's government has stepped outside of its bounds. I'm concerned that my country's government could do the same thing.
Heck, I know mine has. And I doubt that couple would turn down any sort of assistance in getting their child back.

You're completely missing the point. You cannot, will not make a difference as an individual or anything else because their affairs don't concern you and they know that. While some of the Swedish who support homeschooling will appreciate the support, the very most you can do is encourage the Swedish to stand up for themselves.. Your energy is best aimed at something that will actually make a difference. It is not your government that stepped out of line; it's not your business to correct them. It's the Swede's. It doesn't matter if you want to fight the battle with them; you can't, no matter how many guns you have.
07-30-2010 01:24 PM
Zstriker Offline
Revolutionary

More important than correcting the government would be doing something, anything, to assist that family in getting their child back. If that involves sweeping reform, then sure, bring it on. But it does concern me. I'm human. I have Swedish blood in my veins. I'm under 18, if only for a few more months. As a free person, I may move from any one country to any other. If nobody will stand with me, and everyone believes as you have stated, then yea, nothing will happen. But the value of a number of people standing for what is undeniably the right thing is more powerful than the sum of its parts. Why so against the idea? I get that America as a country has overstepped its bounds before. But something happening to somebody because of the pride and ignorance of their government does affect me. Perhaps not directly. That I'll concede. What happens over there may not directly influence me or my stuff. But is that really an excuse to let that go without any sort of assistance from me? When did doing the right thing only apply when it affects you? I guess I missed that class....

Goingcrazy
07-30-2010 01:34 PM
KittyKatBlack Offline
Resident Brony

Zstriker Wrote:More important than correcting the government would be doing something, anything, to assist that family in getting their child back. If that involves sweeping reform, then sure, bring it on. But it does concern me. I'm human. I have Swedish blood in my veins. I'm under 18, if only for a few more months. As a free person, I may move from any one country to any other. If nobody will stand with me, and everyone believes as you have stated, then yea, nothing will happen. But the value of a number of people standing for what is undeniably the right thing is more powerful than the sum of its parts. Why so against the idea? I get that America as a country has overstepped its bounds before. But something happening to somebody because of the pride and ignorance of their government does affect me. Perhaps not directly. That I'll concede. What happens over there may not directly influence me or my stuff. But is that really an excuse to let that go without any sort of assistance from me? When did doing the right thing only apply when it affects you? I guess I missed that class....

Then tell me what exactly your plan is. What are you gonna do to change a foreign government's mind and get those people their kid back?
07-30-2010 01:37 PM
Zstriker Offline
Revolutionary

Honestly? I don't yet have a plan. That being said, it's only been a matter of hours since reading the news article. That's where I need the assistance of you, and the others. Any suggestions are appreciated. There have been many, many ideas thrown about on this forum. You are all* obviously intelligent people. I'm sure this will get some sort of negative response, being so sure of needing to do, and not sure of what to do, and then asking for ideas, but isn't that what the site is for?

*Not all forum users apply. See "Troll" for details.

Goingcrazy
07-30-2010 01:55 PM
KittyKatBlack Offline
Resident Brony

Perhaps you can start by finding out if there are any youth rights or other pro-home school organizations in Sweden.
07-30-2010 02:26 PM
Zstriker Offline
Revolutionary

Now that's a plan. I'll post back with any findings in a few days, probably after the weekend.

Goingcrazy
07-30-2010 02:28 PM