RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
teacher benefits
bigaloof Offline
Rebel

Given 5 thank(s) in 3 post(s)
teacher benefits

I think PERA should be taken away from teachers altogether. They don't contribute enough to deserve such a nice benefits package. And I think professors shouldn't get tenure. I've seen too many educators live such an easy life and do so little in return.

The meta-message students get from this is that you should pretend to be doing good, while all the while you should sponge off the government as much as humanly possible.
10-18-2014 06:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: KFC Nyan Cat
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
RE: teacher benefits

Getting a PhD isn't an easy task, referring to professors.

As well as the fact teaching isn't really a financially rewarding job compared to what could be earned doing some other job having studied something else.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
10-18-2014 10:08 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

I'm ashamed to think I might be earning the ability to retire someday. How selfish of me.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
10-19-2014 01:33 AM
 Thanks given by: no
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

Given 244 thank(s) in 167 post(s)

(10-19-2014 01:33 AM)TheCancer Wrote:  I'm ashamed to think I might be earning the ability to retire someday. How selfish of me.

My dad probably works harder than you, plus getting his money unfairly taken by butthurt police because they want to park in his loading zone and he'll probably never be able to retire unless it comes from future me's pocket because he makes less than a teacher.

This is the only time I will say this with any sincerity: check your privilege.

City YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/kfcnyancat
City Tumblr: http://kfcnyancat.tumblr.com (no longer operational due to personal issues)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" - Donald Rumsfeld

For anyone who remembers me going on an archive binge: Thank you all. I know I ended it being a drama queen, I don't really agree with the ideology anymore, and I'm really not the same person I was (I went through a neopagan phase!) but still this site was the first online community I was in. I graduated from school and turned 18. Time flies. KFC Nyan Cat, June 20, 2019.
10-19-2014 02:32 AM
 Thanks given by: Evan92
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

OK

I'll set my limit as to what I expect in terms of pay and benefits based on what your dad earns.

Captain Beefheart
10-19-2014 02:46 AM
Username Offline
Drunkard

Given 228 thank(s) in 166 post(s)

I'm quite certain that my English teacher gets a nice bonus from my olympiad results.
I'm not sure I'm perfectly okay with that, seeing as she is a shit teacher.
Can't believe she once asked me if castle was spelled as "chastl"

But as for bigaloof, do you dream of a world without teachers?
10-19-2014 03:23 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Lets point out that physical labor is not a comparable reference with administrative, educational or intellectual labor.

Something tells me your father would be ill-equipped to not only educate, but also prepare for the task of being a teacher. Especially without the proper training and qualification.

Do please avoid the sophmoric arguement of "my muscles hurt so I do more work".

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
10-19-2014 04:11 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

All workers should be provided with a livable wage, health care, and retirement. Instead of suggesting I should have less, let's get smart and advocate for hard working men like Cat's father to be justly rewarded and respected for his labor.

Brain

I'm sure Cat's father does things I can't do and those are things we need done for our society to function. We need to respect all labor. No man should work his whole life and end up without a pension. That's obscene.

Captain Beefheart
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2014 05:18 AM by TheCancer.)
10-19-2014 05:14 AM
Username Offline
Drunkard

The good teachers, who actually love their job and try to mix up the curriculum actually put a fuckton of hours into their work and enjoy educating children.
Coal miners are a replaceable pair of limbs sewn together with muscles and fat. Try finding a person that likes a subject enough to be enthusiastic talking about it, loves dealing with children and is willing to accept shit pay.

Meh-tier arguments, but fuck it, I can't be bothered.
10-19-2014 05:23 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Coal miners aren't just fat and muscle. They're people with families and human beings with emotions and concerns. And they provide a service of bringing energy to the people that we cannot live without. We could not live this life without them.

Captain Beefheart
10-19-2014 05:29 AM
Username Offline
Drunkard

(10-19-2014 05:29 AM)TheCancer Wrote:  Coal miners aren't just fat and muscle. They're people with families and human beings with emotions and concerns. And they provide a service of bringing energy to the people that we cannot live without. We could not live this life without them.

If all the existing coal miners were to evaporate, we'd hire more coal miners or better yet, we could completely transition into a better renewable energy source and wouldn't have to worry about the crippling unemployment that getting rid of coal as a widely used energy source would cause.
EZ
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2014 05:34 AM by Username.)
10-19-2014 05:32 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

I'm not saying he shouldnt have a pension. Im saying its erroneous to assume that just because a man doesn't exert significant physical effort in his labor, doesn't make him less deserving of his earning.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-19-2014 10:43 AM
Evan92 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 69 thank(s) in 42 post(s)
teacher benefits

Oh yes the struggle of teaching oooooh the oppression of teachers. Strike for 3 months and bitch, bitch, bitch. They deserve nothing except a swift kick in the balls. Poor things making only 80k a year it must be tough and the horror of having a summer off I just don't know how they sleep at night.
10-19-2014 12:51 PM
Sharpie Offline
Banned

Given 169 thank(s) in 113 post(s)

Where are you getting 80k a year lol teachers don't make anywhere near that
10-19-2014 02:03 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

I don't even make half that.

I love summers off though. I'm not even going to lie. You can't put a price on free time.

I'm just saying instead of hating on teachers we should support all workers. But I guess haters gonna hate. Honestly, I don't even know what "check your privilage" means. It sounds like the type of slogan you might hear from people who major in whiny victimhood or women's studies or crybaby lit or white people suck or whatever they're calling it these days.

Captain Beefheart
10-19-2014 03:07 PM
bigaloof Offline
Rebel

teacher benefits

I apologize for picking on you, Cancer. (Cute name. Are you like William B Davis on the X-Files?)

"I'm ashamed to think I might be earning the ability to retire someday. How selfish of me."

That's the kind of meta-message I'm talking about. Students look up to teachers like they look up to parents. Can you imagine saying that to your children?

"I'm taking care of you so that one day you can support me; otherwise, I really don't care about you."
10-19-2014 04:27 PM
Username Offline
Drunkard

(10-19-2014 12:51 PM)Evan92 Wrote:  Oh yes the struggle of teaching oooooh the oppression of teachers. Strike for 3 months and bitch, bitch, bitch. They deserve nothing except a swift kick in the balls. Poor things making only 80k a year it must be tough and the horror of having a summer off I just don't know how they sleep at night.

all of mah w0t?
10-19-2014 09:45 PM
bigaloof Offline
Rebel

teacher benefits

Over on "Abolish Compulsory Schooling", they (we) seem to just be saying "let's get rid of compulsory schooling", but not offer any plans, not that that's a bad thing: this is a radical idea, and it's good to talk it through.

I started this thread because I felt this could be a practical way to end public schooling. There are many people outside of SS who are outraged by the benefits of public school and university educators. If you took those away, the pool of teachers left over, still willing to teach, might not be enough to support education as it exists today.

Username, I don't think bad teachers or students are the problem, just a symptom. I'm not even sure if public education is the main problem, although I think it's much closer. We live in such a factory-like world, and school is just one of those factory-like things that surround us. How much mass production is good? None, some, all? That's what I think of when I think of the world we should build.
10-19-2014 10:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Benefits of listening to music in class, statistical information ..V.. 2 2,886 09-18-2013 05:05 AM
Last Post: 154bmag
  The Benefits of Homework SoulRiser 18 4,829 08-04-2008 03:03 PM
Last Post: The Desert Fox