RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. Send me a message if you'd like to keep in touch with me & Steve.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Abolish Compulsory Schooling Movement
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 31 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

-sighs- Alright I've stayed away from this for long enough but I have to say something. I agree with Hansgrohe.

First off SS IS NOT A MOVEMENT SS is, to be a Support site first and foremost, which is what it says on the front page. So Sir Marty I am unstickying this and I am requesting it is NOT restickied. If YOU want to start a movement, then that's fine, but do it elsewhere.

And also we still need Public Schools, at least for the time being, will there be a time in the future when they are absolutely no longer needed? Maybe, however RIGHT NOW IS NOT THE TIME. It is still necessary, you can not force a societal shift overnight, every-time it occurs gradually, even if it doesn't seem like it, it does.

However I do agree that compulsory school is not necessary, and that it should be removed, but at this time we CAN NOT do so because of the fact that, again society needs to change first. Yes a State removing their Compulsory Schooling requirements or relaxing them would help, and would help VERY, VERY much in starting it, but the reality is this:

THIS PROBABLY WON'T HAPPEN ANY TIME SOON.

Now am I saying that it absolutely won't, no there may just be a chance occurrence with the right people elected that causes this to happen.

So I will repeat:
  • School-Survival is not a Movement it is a Support Site/Forum first and foremost (Taken from the front page
  • The Abolition of Public Schooling in it's entirety is a horrible idea, at least at this time.
  • While I do agree that Compulsory Schooling needs to go, and I do recognize the benefits, it's unlikely to just go away.
  • SirMarty you are as likely to jump-start a revolution here as RebelNerd was.
  • This thread is being unstickied, if you want to log the 'progress' of this so called 'movement' do it in the Blog Section of the forums.
  • If you want to resticky this thread then please PM me and we will talk

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
10-09-2014 10:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Alistoriv , KFC Nyan Cat , chained to desk
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

Given 233 thank(s) in 157 post(s)
RE: The School Survival Movement: Abolish Compulsory Schooling

(10-09-2014 10:07 AM)DoA Wrote:  That's the primary focus, indeed - if anything is to happen at all, it should be no less than a viable "escape route", so to speak, for cognitive refugees and other malcontents within the public school system. State legislatures across the United States (and nations across the world) should consider making school voluntary after the elementary (or equivalent) level at the very least; people should not be forced to attend school, considering most will be thrust into the public environment - and one size, as they say, does not fit all.
This. All of this. No words—only this gem of a gif—can explain how I feel on what DoA, TheCancer, and SoulRiser have to say.

[Image: yZFub9K.gif]

Anyways, I'm re-sticking this whether you like it or not, Chanku. Soul's position > yours. I asked her for this, NOT you. It seems that she fully supports this movement and would love for School Survival to endorse it, and it seems that the majority of SS members would endorse something similar as per DoA's poll.

Hell, even some of you guys would endorse an end to compulsory schooling, but for some ludicrous reason(s) feel the need to take moderate stances or go as far as to echo pro-school doctrines. Stop being hypocrites. Don't say you're for something and then continue saying or implying things that your typical pro-schooler would say.

I will get back to this thread later because I am hungry and I want to enjoy my food and also get back to a few other threads, specifically DoA's goodbye thread. DoA, I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I really don't want you to leave as it'll make this and my time here on SS a lot more difficult. I'll add-on more when I post in your goodbye thread.

Additionally, and lastly, Chanku, the reason why this thread shall remain here is because it's blogging about SCHOOL-TALK-RELATED discussions. This forum also gains a lot more traction than a mere subforum, and with Soul's permission—again, a lead admin—will have this thread remained stickied and continue to use the School Survival name in order to promote and market this movement and actually start a social change to abolish compulsory schooling. Because ya know, "Uncle Sam isn't going to do anything!", like he didn't with gay rights and marriage. Rolleyes

Seven crappy hours of our lives.
10-09-2014 12:46 PM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 31 thank(s) in 18 post(s)
RE: The School Survival Movement: Abolish Compulsory Schooling

(10-09-2014 01:01 PM)TheCancer Wrote:  Marty - I don't even know what emotion or what type of reaction your GIF is supposed to relay. I don't know if it's surprise, grief, joy, or what.

Chanku- I really can dig where you're coming from. I think I'm coming from an angrier more radical place but I want you to know that I strongly believe that if your ideas were implemented (assuming you're American) America would be a much, much better place to live.

Heh thanks. To be honest if those were implimented then getting rid of Public Schools as a whole would be easier, but for the time being still necessary for a transition period as well.

And Marty, you do realize that Soul stepped down of Moderating SS, and instead put me, xcrit, and night as the administration team, with somewhat complete control over the forums(minus a few things), meaning unless Soul comes in here and clears things up, Soul willingly resigned her power to be head admin, and instead only owns the site's servers, along with the data that is on the servers(at least this is my interpritation), so as an admin, unless you wish to take it up with the other two this is being unsticked because of the following:
  • It does not meet the implied criteria to be stickied, which is it is of high-quality or high-importance, which I do not view this thread as. While the discussion that is contained in this thread is a bit important, the way it was done was not
  • It is misleading as to the Purpose of SS(Which is clearly stated on the front page)
  • It 'steals' the SS name, if you want you can choose a different name to use, but do not use SS as SS is simply, first and foremost, for Supporting Students who do not fit within the Current System, are stuck in it, and do not like it(albeit no one has to meet those criteria, although that's my interpretation of how the Site's Purpose says it)

Besides while this is a blog about school, it is first and foremost a blog, (I view things like this one way, the category of what it is chooses the section, not what it's about, especially if it acts as a blog functionally. Excluding grey areas) therefor this belongs in the grey area.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

10-09-2014 01:48 PM
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

The School Survival Movement: Abolish Compulsory Schooling

Chanku, in regards to "that" I'm going to unapprove my post. Feel free to delete it if you wish since it really is supposed to be a secret.

TheCancer, I doubt it's because you can't be trusted. Don't worry about it, but I can PM the info to you if you wanna know.

Anyways, to move on to the more important topic at hand; Chanku, I don't answer to you or Night. xcriteria is a different story in the sense that he will 99.9% of the time he'll never use the admin powers that Soul bestowed onto him. Soul, on the other hand, is the one that gave me the authorization to have this thread stickied. She in fact stickied the thread herself; therefore, overruling your decision on keeping this unstickied.

Moreover, I am not "stealing" the SS name. In fact, I was going to name this something else but I wanted to stick to the School Survival name due to what DoA told me in PM, and pretty much SoulRiser endorses our approach to this even when she hasn't seen what DoA and I discussed before I drafted the jump-start to this movement.

I don't agree with the rest of your assessments, and TBH it seems as if you're using your admin powers to try and justify your reasons as to overrule mine. Again, I don't answer to you. IDK why Night is an admin (she doesn't really strike me as a mod- or admin-type but whatever, I got no issues with her) but she's rarely ever here, xcriteria almost never utilizes his admin powers, and Soul is, and will for a long time, remain to be THE lead admin of SS.

Sure, she mentioned to be "retiring"—notice the quotation marks around the word retiring—however, she never explicitly abdicated her position to xcriteria, you, Night, or anyone else. And even if she LOOSELY did, that would automatically fall to xcriteria as he was the one she stressed that would handle mod- AND admin-type duties like she did.

So with that, I am going to re-sticky this. Please stop un-stickying this. If you have a problem with this take it up with Soul. Thanks. Smile

10-09-2014 02:51 PM
 Thanks given by: Ky
Alistoriv Offline
Sanity Not Included

Given 169 thank(s) in 114 post(s)

Let's be clear here, I'm not advocating that we ban Marty or anything but god damn. Marty, I respect your opinion and can definitely see where you're coming from, but that does not allow you to be a patronizing asshole every time this happens. People have valid reasons that they might not agree with you and you can't just cover that up by screaming pro-school doctrine and acting like they just want to start shit and take no blame in this.

RIP GORE GOROTH
RIP SAINTVICIOUS
(03-20-2013 05:08 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Stand up with pride and say "No! I will not be a McDonalds employee. I WILL BE A GARBAGE MAN!"

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 11:41 PM by Alistoriv.)
10-09-2014 11:40 PM
 Thanks given by: (´・ω・`) , Username , chained to desk , Gwedin
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

I split all of this due to derailment and no more constructive discussion.

10-10-2014 05:31 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The School Survival Movement: Abolish Compulsory Schooling MrAnonymous 5 1,382 11-01-2014 05:32 AM
Last Post: GamerGurl
  [split] The School Survival Movement: Abolish Compulsory Schooling chained to desk 9 1,779 10-29-2014 12:19 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  The School Survival Movement: Abolish Compulsory Schooling Gwedin 5 1,283 10-27-2014 12:49 PM
Last Post: Sharpie
  The School Survival Movement: Abolish Compulsory Schooling Username 2 978 10-20-2014 12:26 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  [split] The Abolish Compulsory Schooling Movement James Comey 30 5,325 10-14-2014 01:01 PM
Last Post: TheCancer