RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] How different is College from High School?
Username Offline
Drunkard

Given 228 thank(s) in 166 post(s)

(10-05-2014 06:20 AM)TheCancer Wrote:  Cool.

Not really.

Quote:I've never been employed

Quote:Although I'm possibly going to be hired at a pet store

Hmmm...
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2014 07:17 AM by Username.)
10-05-2014 07:16 AM
Find all posts by this user
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

Given 233 thank(s) in 157 post(s)
RE: How different is College from High School?

(10-05-2014 07:16 AM)Username Wrote:  

Not really.

Hmmm...
Lol why the fuck are you still here? Seriously? Rolleyes Shouldn't you be on DnE with the rest of the windowlicker rejects who don't even care about SS or its movement?

Seven crappy hours of our lives.
10-05-2014 08:24 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Plz feel free to lock this at your leisure. Smile

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
10-05-2014 10:02 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)
RE: [split] How different is College from High School?

Am I the only one who posts here who isn't a mod?

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
10-05-2014 10:21 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 31 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

Well to be honest very few people are a mod, most people are Forum Helpers(Which I have stated I do NOT like the way it is run, and would prefer an overhaul of the forum helpers.)

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
10-05-2014 10:56 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Are you a Forum Helper?

What don't you like about how the site is run?

Captain Beefheart
10-05-2014 11:05 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 31 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

I'm actually an Admin, and am a 'Manager' as Soul put it. Also I actually don't like how Forum Helpers is run. I could technically change it, but SoulRiser did put together the Forum Helpers herself and there is procedure to follow as well.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
10-05-2014 11:17 AM
Gwedin Offline
dumb shithead

Given 559 thank(s) in 410 post(s)

(10-05-2014 08:24 AM)SirMarty Wrote:  

Not really.

Hmmm...
Lol why the fuck are you still here? Seriously? Rolleyes Shouldn't you be on DnE with the rest of the windowlicker rejects who don't even care about SS or its movement?

>implying he isn't on DnE
>implying there's an SS movement
10-05-2014 11:49 AM
 Thanks given by: NiteRaidah , Username
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

I dun really use my Samaritan powers.

Don't see what's wrong with us forum helpers. Are you elitist bourgeois trying to squelch the power of the tribunal third estate? Razz

I posted here when I wasn't a helper FYI. I think I even have some threads that show me as the one starting it(implying I was pretty much the primary cause of the split).

Much rep.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
10-05-2014 11:50 AM
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

Given 233 thank(s) in 157 post(s)

(10-05-2014 11:49 AM)Gwedin Wrote:  

Not really.

Hmmm...

>implying I give any fucks Rolleyes

Lol seriously, with the exception to that, I'm not even going to type like that right now. It's stupid. I'm sick of these "edgy" SS rejects and the attacks, so if you're going to act like a douche then I'm going to treat you like one.

Seven crappy hours of our lives.
10-05-2014 01:01 PM
 Thanks given by: KFC Nyan Cat
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Your gonna put him in a vagina?

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-05-2014 01:04 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

Much troll-feeding
Such flame
Wow

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
10-05-2014 01:16 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Welkommen to Das Split.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-05-2014 01:19 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

And it wasn't even me who split it this time! Wow. I am in awe.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
10-05-2014 01:25 PM
Gwedin Offline
dumb shithead

Given 559 thank(s) in 410 post(s)

(10-05-2014 01:01 PM)SirMarty Wrote:  
(10-05-2014 11:49 AM)Gwedin Wrote:  

Not really.

Hmmm...

>implying I give any fucks Rolleyes

Lol seriously, with the exception to that, I'm not even going to type like that right now. It's stupid. I'm sick of these "edgy" SS rejects and the attacks, so if you're going to act like a douche then I'm going to treat you like one.

Finally, I get called edgy. That's all I wanted out of life... ;_;
10-05-2014 01:56 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Ya. Im no longer a split virgin. Receieved it but first time giver.

Oh yeah.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-05-2014 02:21 PM
Username Offline
Drunkard

I wasn't even attacking him/her/tender gender at all, well it wasn't my intention at least, but I can't be the only one to see that having no job and being so rigid not to get one to pay the bills is.. well, bad, for the lack of a better word.
Reminds me nothing but Rillian.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2014 09:40 PM by Username.)
10-05-2014 09:29 PM
 Thanks given by: xcriteria
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

I actually do think that's fair but you should have gone about it in a more constructive way. I've also scoffed at people on here who are old enough to work but instead still live off their folks and then even have the audacity to complain about it.

Captain Beefheart
10-05-2014 10:34 PM
 Thanks given by: xcriteria
Username Offline
Drunkard

(10-05-2014 10:34 PM)TheCancer Wrote:  I actually do think that's fair but you should have gone about it in a more constructive way. I've also scoffed at people on here who are old enough to work but instead still live off their folks and then even have the audacity to complain about it.

More constructive how?

I can't wrap my head around a person, who wants to be a cosplayer, which is an already tough field to live off of if you're male, let alone one that isn't a bodybuilder. At the same time, he wishes to be a pro-gamer.. at what game, he won't say. To top it off, he wants to direct, not make or create, but direct machinima, which is a half-dead, underground medium, for a game that hasn't had a "mainstream" machinima series in over two years.
If all that sounds gibberish to you, he hath posted some time ago, that he won't work unless the job starts at noon. The reasoning behind it being that waking up in the morning for work reminds him of school.
Of course, when I call him out on his bullshit, I get banned, but those who agree or feel sorry him, get little "Thanks" under their posts for their immense contribution to society.

Good lad.

Hidden stuff:
Now THAT was a fucking attack
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2014 11:19 PM by Username.)
10-05-2014 10:57 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

Alright... TheCancer summed up my thoughts on both sides of this.

(10-05-2014 10:34 PM)TheCancer Wrote:  I actually do think that's fair but you should have gone about it in a more constructive way.

@Username, to be fair, Marty has been actively exploring what to do next, including thinking about jobs other than his dream jobs. The pet store one is an example.

@SirMarty, I've asked people "why are you here?" before, too, but there's certainly a better way to do it than insulting people. It sets a bad example... it shows an ugly side of things to visitors (especially who aren't familiar with all the subtext...) and it sends a mass insult to a whole group of people, who really do differ from each other as people... and aren't all bad.

Plus, people can change if they come to see things in a different way. Being harsh usually doesn't help make that happen (though, granted, there may be some rare instances where it does.)

In short, it's possible to "call people out on their bullshit" in more effective ways.... and show a better side of SS to the many people who won't come near the site in the first place, let alone stay...

Ultimately, one of the big challenges for most people here is to figure out how to transition from being dependent on their parents, to some kind of independent life. I think we could do a better job of helping each other figure out how to do that... on a path not only of "survival," but actually doing things we each want to do.

I think that's a reasonable goal... living a good life... but figuring out how isn't necessarily a simple task.

Username Wrote:More constructive how?

I can't wrap my head around a person, who wants to be a cosplayer, which is an already tough field to live off of if you're male, let alone one that isn't a bodybuilder. At the same time, he wishes to be a pro-gamer.. at what game, he won't say. To top it off, he wants to direct, not make or create, but direct machinima, which is a half-dead, underground medium, for a game that hasn't had a "mainstream" machinima series in over two years.
If all that sounds gibberish to you, he hath posted some time ago, that he won't work unless the job starts at noon. The reasoning behind it being that waking up in the morning for work reminds him of school.
Of course, when I call him out on his bullshit, I get banned, but those who agree or feel sorry him, get little "Thanks" under their posts for their immense contribution to society.

That was more productive... last least it provides a better explanation of where you're coming from.

I think it's worth looking at things like all that as more than "bullshit" and "gibberish." But, it is worth challenging people's ideas, and in fact having one's thinking challenged can be one of the best ways to evolve it...

And school does mess with people. The key is to figure out how to make the most of life despite that... personally and in terms of supporting (or confronting) others. PirateSadhugScratchchin

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
10-06-2014 12:18 AM
 Thanks given by: no , Ky
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Damn it guys. My parents aren't giving me money while I live with them. I don't want a job cuz I wanna cruise like a bohemian but I need them to give me money.

Y THEY NO GIV ME DER MONIES?

Irrelevant to what I posted:See, productive criticism leads to walls of text. I call it the General Relativity Theory of Brain.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-06-2014 02:26 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

I'm more worried about how moderate Student Voice seems at least by glancing over their online presence and the lack of furious immaturity on these threads.

Captain Beefheart
10-06-2014 02:35 AM
Username Offline
Drunkard

(10-06-2014 02:35 AM)TheCancer Wrote:  I'm more worried about how moderate Student Voice seems at least by glancing over their online presence and the lack of furious immaturity on these threads.

The lack of?
10-06-2014 02:47 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Yes. Wasn't there a time when these threads were littered with teen angst and profanity laden diatribes almost completely devoid of meaning? This place used to roll like an over-crowded ninth grade behavior unit. Now it's like a bunch of grannies at a foldables workshop.

Captain Beefheart
10-06-2014 03:03 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Lack of immaturity on SS?

Hrm....
Hrm....

Interesting...

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-06-2014 03:12 AM
Username Offline
Drunkard

(10-06-2014 03:03 AM)TheCancer Wrote:  Yes. Wasn't there a time when these threads were littered with teen angst and profanity laden diatribes almost completely devoid of meaning? This place used to roll like an over-crowded ninth grade behavior unit. Now it's like a bunch of grannies at a foldables workshop.

The hugbox and overall pussifying of the Internet have dulled a great many teen minds.
10-06-2014 03:21 AM
Missile Offline
с гордостью девственница

Given 112 thank(s) in 82 post(s)

I agree ^^^

Wake up people, and look at life around you
http://debunking911.com/?no_redirect=true

[Image: DK3ygqj.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 04:03 AM by Missile.)
10-06-2014 04:02 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

I thought the world was pussyfying.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-06-2014 04:11 AM
Username Offline
Drunkard

(10-06-2014 04:11 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  I thought the world was pussyfying.

It is.
10-06-2014 04:22 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

No man today will ever make it to Valhalla. Why should they when there no men on Earth left!

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-06-2014 07:51 AM
Thread Closed