RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
The School Survival Movement: Abolish Compulsory Schooling
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Erm, guys?

I've noticed a few of you using "we" a lot. Who is "we"? Whoever they are, they seem to be different "we" 's, because they disagree a lot. I think using "we" is adding to the misunderstanding here because it gives the impression that you're each referring to a mysterious number of people whose viewpoints you're representing (which may or may not be the case).

Also, this:
(10-08-2014 03:24 PM)Sub Wrote:  Also, DoA and Hansgrohe, you are both really intelligent individuals, with different ideas. That's all. I don't like seeing the two of you hurling accusations at each other and condesending each other. All that matters is thst you both have ideas on how to make education better, and we would all benefit more if you talked about it together, rather than bitch about who's right.

So, let's shift this conversation to something more useful. Let's just lay this out right now. What needs to happen in society before a non traditional (good) form of education can be the norm? What would that model look like? What role does SS play in making that model come to life as the norm?

Can we focus on what we agree on and have in common, rather than arguing about differences in a few things? I'd like to think you guys have more in common than you actually disagree on.

Grouphug

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-09-2014 03:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Ky , no , mpoole , KFC Nyan Cat , Michael Merging , Alistoriv , GamerGurl , xcriteria , sswbm
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
RE: The School Survival Movement: Abolish Compulsory Schooling

We, The Brainiac Conglomeration, disagree with everything including disagreements.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
10-09-2014 03:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: no
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

(10-09-2014 03:35 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Can we focus on what we agree on and have in common, rather than arguing about differences in a few things? I'd like to think you guys have more in common than you actually disagree on.

We all dislike school, at least as it is. We're all concerned about those the school system is wronging. We want to help students survive for as long as possible in an institution that seeks to indoctrinate them, and hopefully help them break free of it. Don't we?

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
10-09-2014 05:33 AM
 Thanks given by: GamerGurl , sswbm
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

Given 233 thank(s) in 157 post(s)

Okay, so I was overreacting on the unsticky. I thought someone was doing that to spite me and this movement I'm trying to jump-start. Thanks for the clarification. And that was also exacerbated from some of the backlash to this.

Anyways, yes, there are some on SS who preferably want the abolishment of the public school system in totality and replaced with something a lot more efficient, but some of you guys are misconstruing this part in order to further back-up your argument. I'm only advocating for the abolishment of COMPULSORY schooling, meaning that going to school shouldn't be forced and that this type of "education" should be a CHOICE. Furthermore, there should be no punishments whatsoever for not attending and that there should be no positions for enforcing attendance and executing the punishments.

Seven crappy hours of our lives.
10-09-2014 05:44 AM
 Thanks given by: Ky
Ky Offline
Shadow

That's the primary focus, indeed - if anything is to happen at all, it should be no less than a viable "escape route", so to speak, for cognitive refugees and other malcontents within the public school system. State legislatures across the United States (and nations across the world) should consider making school voluntary after the elementary (or equivalent) level at the very least; people should not be forced to attend school, considering most will be thrust into the public environment - and one size, as they say, does not fit all.

10-09-2014 10:07 AM
 Thanks given by: GamerGurl
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

Even though I do advocate abolishing public school altogether I agree that focusing on the compulsory component makes sense and I want to express my solidarity with anyone who supports that aim even if you do not support abolishing public school altogether. For whatever that's worth.

Anything less than abolishing the compulsory component puts someone on an entirely different page than me. Abolishing the compulsory part is the fundamental core of why I feel inclined to express my opinions here. That doesn't mean I don't respect you or your opinion if you disagree but it does mean we have limited common ground. Respectfully.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
10-09-2014 10:19 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Et tu, Chanku?

10-09-2014 11:03 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

* brainiac3397 plunges knife into the tyrannical DoA

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
10-09-2014 11:16 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Why should the lack of likelyhood of fruition compel anyone not to voice their opinion?

If anything, the fact that it's unpopular is more reason to scream it from the rooftops.

Also, I'm surprised there's not more support abolishing public school as well. Maybe you have to be a teacher to see how completely broken and unfixable the whole thing is. It's like a brain dead vegetable on life support. Pull the plug for Pete's sake.

Captain Beefheart
10-09-2014 11:20 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 31 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

To be honest, the Public Education system is completely broken, however before we get rid of it, we need a replacement, and to be honest I'd rather replace the broken one with a non-broken one.

Edit: Should we talk about this? Yes. Should we do it in the way that has been done here? No.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
10-09-2014 11:28 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

I can't understand why you want to replace it. Someone with AIDS doesn't want to replace it with cancer.

Captain Beefheart
10-09-2014 11:31 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

This is because, even though the current system is broken, it's broken due to the fact that it's old. Besides right now a form of Public Education is needed, and if we were going to remove it, we would have to replace it. Besides with no Public Education system you are essentially causing the shift of knowledge to the elite, while the people whom are poor, but want an education(but can't afford anything to get an education) would be unable to get one.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

10-09-2014 11:35 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Poor people are not being educated through public "education". They're managing to educate themselves in spite of it.

Captain Beefheart
10-09-2014 11:48 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Well some people actually function good in the current school system(although I do agree that the school system atm does nothing to help people learn, it only helps with memorization), however if we removed the Public Education, then some people would be unable to learn anything and thus be stuck where they are.

10-09-2014 11:53 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

I'm curious what grade you're in if you're still in school.

I would also like to know if there is anything you've learned in school that you couldn't have just gone to a library and taught yourself.

Once you know how to read and to count and read numbers what is it that you can't learn without a professional instructor?

Captain Beefheart
10-09-2014 12:22 PM
 Thanks given by: sswbm
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

I'm not stating that a professional instructor is necessary, however we do need a form of a public education system or have the ability to remove late fees from libraries, setup a comprehensive bus system in a city, and allow cheap(or free) internet access then we need public schools.

Also I'm a Sophomore in High School.

10-09-2014 12:46 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Marty - I don't even know what emotion or what type of reaction your GIF is supposed to relay. I don't know if it's surprise, grief, joy, or what.

Chanku- I really can dig where you're coming from. I think I'm coming from an angrier more radical place but I want you to know that I strongly believe that if your ideas were implemented (assuming you're American) America would be a much, much better place to live.

Captain Beefheart
10-09-2014 01:01 PM
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

(10-09-2014 01:01 PM)TheCancer Wrote:  Marty - I don't even know what emotion or what type of reaction your GIF is supposed to relay. I don't know if it's surprise, grief, joy, or what.

Chanku- I really can dig where you're coming from. I think I'm coming from an angrier more radical place but I want you to know that I strongly believe that if your ideas were implemented (assuming you're American) America would be a much, much better place to live.
I'm surprised you couldn't tell. You're the only person who's asked me that. The gif expresses jubilation. Smile

10-09-2014 01:04 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

When I take those Emotional Intelligence tests where they ask look at this face how does this person feel, well, I'm not good at that.

Captain Beefheart
10-09-2014 01:09 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Quote:DoA, I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I really don't want you to leave as it'll make this and my time here on SS a lot more difficult. I'll add-on more when I post in your goodbye thread.

What? Is that in some forum I don't have access to?

Captain Beefheart
10-09-2014 01:31 PM
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

(10-09-2014 01:31 PM)TheCancer Wrote:  
Quote:DoA, I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I really don't want you to leave as it'll make this and my time here on SS a lot more difficult. I'll add-on more when I post in your goodbye thread.

What? Is that in some forum I don't have access to?
Surprised you've been on SS for so long and don't have access to it! Yeah, it's a private forum so more controversial topics can be hidden from the general internet and SS populace.

10-09-2014 01:36 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

I know I'm a teacher but it's hard for me to accept I'm not a trusted member of this forum.

Captain Beefheart
10-09-2014 01:41 PM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

(10-09-2014 01:41 PM)TheCancer Wrote:  I know I'm a teacher but it's hard for me to accept I'm not a trusted member of this forum.

Keep in mind that Soul controlled that group for the longest time. However it's just that you aren't particularly the most active user, and you can be rather harsh at times. Plus the fact that well I don't think anyone has thought about giving you access to that forum(although the existence is supposed to be a secret)

10-09-2014 01:50 PM
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

Given 317 thank(s) in 184 post(s)
RE: The Abolish Compulsory Schooling Movement

Chanku, you need to calm down. We're all working on the same goal here, making education better. SirMarty wants to do that just as much as you do. We (Members of SS.) need to make sure that we remember that.

Now, I don't think that SS is a movement, rather a product or a resource for people who are a part of the "anti-school" movement. Now, does that mean I take offense to the name? No. Not at all. Because it is just a name after all, and there's genuine feelings behind the idea of it.

The language you're using is frightening me, to be blunt. "If you continue to act in defiance of me I will remove your powers." Why the hell would you do that? Remember, Soul approved this. And don't tell someone to leave SS, when they clearly care about it.

Everyone, calm the fuck down...

Sub's Mental Log!
We've had a lot of fun, guys.
Fulltime Member, 2013-2014

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
10-09-2014 03:46 PM
 Thanks given by: Ky , GamerGurl , SoulRiser , sswbm , schoolsux
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
The Abolish Compulsory Schooling Movement

I'm going back to the OP for a bit:

Quote:I have recently started a division of School Survival that will be sponsored by the community called Abolish of Compulsory Schooling. The name speaks for itself, but in general our main goal is to abolish compulsory school attendance laws and eliminate all legal punishments for not attending school.

This is the main and pretty much only aim of this movement, right?

If this is the ONLY change that ever happens to schools... not much will actually change. If parents still think school is best, they will still make their kids go, because they still have power over them.

In order for things to actually get better, other things need to change too, public perception being a big one. Viable alternatives are already there, and getting better, so really... people just need to be made aware of them more.

Maybe the compulsory-ness will get taken away once the viable alternatives become more widespread anyway, who knows.

I think people are taking this the wrong way...

Take a step back everyone... don't be so quick to think you understand what someone else is saying. Most likely you don't... try to understand them before you start judging (or, even better, don't judge at all).

Does it still need a name change? Yeah, maybe.

The end goal is good. On its own it won't revolutionize anything, actually. But it makes perfect sense when combined with more public knowledge of alternatives (which is something other people are working on).

We don't all have to have the same focus... and shouldn't.

Different people, different approaches, same fundamental problem.

Quite frankly any constructive approach to try to change something about it is more than welcome... even if it doesn't succeed in its end goal. In the process of trying to change things, more people will find out about it, and that in itself is already a good thing (as long as you can explain your reasons for doing it to them in a way that they can understand).

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-09-2014 10:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: (´・ω・`) , Ky , GamerGurl
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

How about ya'll enjoy a snickers bar and stop taking shit personally?

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-10-2014 01:50 AM
 Thanks given by: vonunov
(´・ω・`) Offline
Pariah

Given 100 thank(s) in 72 post(s)

Hah, Brainiac.

I just had half a Hersheys bar myself (split with my mom, of course).

Hidden stuff:

Quote:<sug> i dont think ive ever been an atheist
<sug> i worship the superplayer

Returned after years hiatus.
10-10-2014 02:11 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

By the powers vested in me by Soul (I think), I have hereby decreed a total of 20 posts to be split. The tortutous task of sifting through 70+ posts to determine the extremities causing turbulence was not amusing. Please direct all complaints to an admin for I shall stand behind the necessary and objective choice of selection and action in order to maintain the stability of this thread and whatever remaining sanity of those posting here.

Honorably,
Sir B3K7, Lord of Random and Deus Ex Machina.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-10-2014 05:25 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

Split posts to Split Discussions. Discuss it there:
http://forums.school-survival.net/forumd...php?fid=53

10-10-2014 05:30 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Id have preferred those remained since they were not entirely provacative. It was flammable opinions I was after, not opinions that were sharp and somewhat stingy.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-10-2014 05:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Official School Survival Book? James Comey 53 20,899 04-14-2017 03:57 AM
Last Post: James Comey
Rainbow Bill introduced to abolish the Department of Education! Zeta 44 17,205 02-17-2017 03:44 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  School Survival mentioned by a youtuber MurkScribe 10 6,180 01-15-2017 12:54 AM
Last Post: vonunov
  How to promote School Survival at School? HSHARK 5 3,521 08-03-2016 01:18 PM
Last Post: HSHARK
  School Survival Pledge HSHARK 12 7,194 08-03-2016 12:44 PM
Last Post: Ky
Rainbow My school survival story autisticdragonkin 3 3,186 04-18-2016 09:28 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  video- Compulsory Schooling Must Be Abolished - Cevin Soling stevehein 0 1,949 04-11-2016 09:00 AM
Last Post: stevehein
  Research project - school survival kit robotjox 22 10,970 02-22-2016 09:14 AM
Last Post: DreamRebel
  my school is about to shut down school survival awesomejuan36912 8 9,685 01-13-2016 02:18 AM
Last Post: Azine
  Compulsory schooling and Conscription: Modern day slavery ComradeDaryl 21 11,791 11-13-2015 07:11 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397