RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should teaching children religion be banned?
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)
Should teaching children religion be banned?

I know I know, but think about it for a second. Teaching children religion = brainwashing children into believing lies. Should parents/adults be allowed to trick children into believing lies? When children are young they believe what adults tell them, so isn't this a kind of abuse?

I don't actually have a desire for it to be banned, the thought just popped into my head and I'm curious what you all have to say about it.
08-01-2010 07:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
V.R. Offline
Revolutionary

Given 19 thank(s) in 13 post(s)
Re: Should teaching children religion be banned?

Religion should be the parent's job. If they want to preach it to their kids, so be it.
But if the SCHOOL wants to preach it, I'm totally against that.
08-01-2010 07:22 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

V.R. Wrote:Religion should be the parent's job. If they want to preach it to their kids, so be it.

But why should a parent have any more right to teach a kid lies? Do they "own" the kid?
08-01-2010 07:24 PM
V.R. Offline
Revolutionary

Given 19 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

psychopath Wrote:
V.R. Wrote:Religion should be the parent's job. If they want to preach it to their kids, so be it.

But why should a parent have any more right to teach a kid lies? Do they "own" the kid?

We really can't stop them, can we? How could we control this law? Like, if we see a child who exhibits religious belief, we call the CPS? Even if we COULD do it, it'd be far too strict and authoritarian.
Also, there's the possibility that a child will discover some religious literature sometime.
08-01-2010 07:36 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Yea, it would be extremely difficult to implement, and banning in general is a slippery slope.

V.R. Wrote:Also, there's the possibility that a child will discover some religious literature sometime.

The difference would be that it wouldn't be being force fed into their head.
08-01-2010 07:41 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

I know what your saying, parents always force beliefs onto their kids. It's shit. I don't think we can do anything about it though, and if the person is smart at all, they will eventually make their own decision. I grew up/am growing up in a house that goes to church every fucking week and I can't bring myself to believe a word of it. Although, when I was younger it was a bit harder to accept that my parents were wrong. Ah well.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
08-01-2010 11:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

I hate this shit. My aunt and uncle are super religious christfag bible thumping tea party racists from the south. Not even exaggerating that. My uncle is a pastor. Recently they adopted 2 fostor children, while having met the birth parents of one of the children I can say that they are in very good hands compared to the last ones but it just makes me sick all of the shit that gets shoved down these little kids throats. Like my aunt quizzes them on shit from the bible before they go to bed each night, they cant watch T.V. on sunday because its not worthy of the day of the lord and they have plans to homeschool them to keep them away from any secular views.
They home schooled my 2 blood cousins that way. Both of them have grown up and are married now. My cousin Isaac seems to hold their fanatical view of things but Hannah got married a few months ago and is planning to move across country to raise her kids the way she wants and keep them away from her nutjob parents. While My aunt and uncle are still family It just makes me sick when I think of what they stand for. It's disgusting.
08-02-2010 01:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Thought Criminal Wrote:I hate this shit. My aunt and uncle are super religious christfag bible thumping tea party racists from the south. Not even exaggerating that. My uncle is a pastor. Recently they adopted 2 fostor children, while having met the birth parents of one of the children I can say that they are in very good hands compared to the last ones but it just makes me sick all of the shit that gets shoved down these little kids throats. Like my aunt quizzes them on shit from the bible before they go to bed each night, they cant watch T.V. on sunday because its not worthy of the day of the lord and they have plans to homeschool them to keep them away from any secular views.
They home schooled my 2 blood cousins that way. Both of them have grown up and are married now. My cousin Isaac seems to hold their fanatical view of things but Hannah got married a few months ago and is planning to move across country to raise her kids the way she wants and keep them away from her nutjob parents. While My aunt and uncle are still family It just makes me sick when I think of what they stand for. It's disgusting.

Ugh foul.

Exactly why I hold parents in such low view.
I can't remember where I found it but I found a image of some people protesting the health care and taxes and it was a bunch of parents making their kids hold the signs and protest while they smiled like the ignorant fucktards that they are and for some reason it made me angry(they were wealthy).

Also I came from a christian grandma and all that so I know how full of shit the faith can be.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
08-02-2010 03:59 AM
jose Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

i think religion should be the kid's choice. if a kid wants to believe in god, let him believe in god. if a kid doesn't want to believe in god, let him believe what he wants.

instead of forcing your beliefs on your kids, why not just tell them about god instead of making them do everything they don't want to do? besides, when i was little, i didn't understand what the priest was saying so church didn't teach me anything.

democracy died when compulsory schooling was born.

[Image: ubd5511.png]
08-02-2010 10:08 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Given 160 thank(s) in 104 post(s)

Ok, I may be willing to favor this, under some conditions:

All religions should be taught (or most of them, there are over 4,200 religions in the world None ) from a neutral point of view. No saying "this is what happened, deal with it." Instead, say "this is what MAY have happened, also, we no proof that it happened." Remind people time and time again about the absence of proof that religion has to offer. Too many people believe things without proof. Also, teach evolution as an alternative as well.

Hidden stuff:
TRIGGER WARNING: THIS TRIGGER WARNING CONTAINS TRIGGER WARNINGS!

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

[Image: violator_blackbg_110x32.gif]
Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
Charles Manson Wrote:“Look down at me and you see a fool;
look up at me and you see a god;
look straight at me and you see yourself”
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
 Pirate Join the crew!Pirate
08-02-2010 10:37 AM
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Given 11 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

psychopath Wrote:

The difficulty is that we want parents to have the power to teach their kids to be anything the kids want, to be able to homeschool/unschool them, to allow the kids to form unconventional ideas.
At the same time, we don't want parents having the power to degrade their kids, indoctrinate them, or the like....

I want more power to parents and more power to kids. So the parent can teach the kid whatever they want, but if the kid wants outta the bullshit they can get out.

It's hard cuz it's kind of contradictory to say "The government shouldn't let parents do _____" when we are also saying "The government should let parents do _____"
In any case, if I were a parent, I wouldn't want the government encroaching on my parenting. I wanna raise my kids outside of the bs that public school teaches and that society deems normal. But what if that was considered 'indoctrination,' or CPS thought it was 'unhealthy?'

We have to change society not give the gov more power.

An it Harm None, Do What Ye Will
An it Harm, Do Only What Ye Must

Lighten up! This life was made for experimenting, making mistakes, falling on our faces, and standing up to do it all over again.
Live for Learning.

Carla Franklin may be a whore. She may be a wonderful, kind, moral woman. Seeing as I don't know her personally, I cannot know for sure. However, I find her actions (suing Google, requesting the personal info of her critics, getting angry over random internet idiocy that she should ignore and be bigger than, trying to get this site in trouble because of a few users' commentary on the situation, etc.) pretty ridiculous and unwarranted. If she didn't want people to to be talking about/judging her, well 1. that's impossible, she's a human, and 2. she shouldn't have been a model or agreed to be on film. AND 3. she DEFINITELY shouldn't have sued Google and made all this fuss over a few random idiots whom she probably won't ever know expressing their opinion. Mmkay? MMKAY.
08-02-2010 01:23 PM
Squittle Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

How would you judge which religions to ban, and evaluate the extremity of the parent's beliefs, and decide just how extreme parents had to be in their religious indoctrination to have consequence brought unto them?

Teaching your son that he'll burn forever in an imaginary afterlife for kissing another boy, or how to stone his future wife for speaking in church, or how to repress sexual urges until his blue balls explode like two very sticky supernovas are all awful, disgusting, and abusive. I concede that much. Indoctrinating your child into your religion, especially if it's one of the major monotheistic doctrines, is just molestation. But I don't think it's practical to ban it. There are infinite complications and subjective judgments that would have to be made by the authorities evaluating the case, such that it becomes pretty much impossible to have a fair trial regarding the situation.

Whether its right to ban parents teaching their kids mainstream religion, however, is a different issue. If there were some method of objectively and fairly judging the effects on the child's mind, monitoring the parent's teaching, and examining the various mental problems that arise from it, then yes, it would be perfectly fine to ban it because the right of the disempowered children who can't speak for themselves to be free from brainwashing takes precedence over the right of the empowered parents (or schoolteachers, fuck forbid) to brainwash. It's impractical and would pretty much be a drain on funds and manpower, but if it were possible, then by all means.

This reminds me of the question about whether freedom of religion entails allowing Christians to sell their daughters into sex slavery, or oppress their wives or something, but there's more consensus on that.

Because I dig you, like Aussies dig pies, like Born-Agains dig Jesus, like Jesus dug guys.
08-09-2010 09:14 AM
Squittle Offline
Revolutionary

V.R. Wrote:Religion should be the parent's job.
Religion should be the kid's job.

Because I dig you, like Aussies dig pies, like Born-Agains dig Jesus, like Jesus dug guys.
08-09-2010 09:17 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

I try to be open minded sometimes but I just can't see any lasting good from religion.

Sure it makes some people nicer because it gives them hope in life but that can easily be replaced by something else.

Everything else religion gives us is shit and restriction.

image hosting jpg
08-09-2010 10:29 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Depends on your definition of 'teaching'. Giving them information and letting them make up their own minds about it is fine. Trying to manipulate them into thinking and behaving a certain way "or else you'll go to hell!" is not fine.

EDIT: With that said, good luck trying to ban it in people's homes though. If you're going to do that, you'd be better off taking a wider approach and banning any forms of manipulation. Basically anything where a parent tries to make a kid believe something without letting them make up their own mind about it. But once again, that's gonna be hard to prove.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
08-09-2010 10:58 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

SoulRiser Wrote:Depends on your definition of 'teaching'. Giving them information and letting them make up their own minds about it is fine. Trying to manipulate them into thinking and behaving a certain way "or else you'll go to hell!" is not fine.

EDIT: With that said, good luck trying to ban it in people's homes though. If you're going to do that, you'd be better off taking a wider approach and banning any forms of manipulation. Basically anything where a parent tries to make a kid believe something without letting them make up their own mind about it. But once again, that's gonna be hard to prove.

at least until we reach that enlightenment stage before we die out.

image hosting jpg
08-09-2010 11:05 AM
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Given 11 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Squittle Wrote:
V.R. Wrote:Religion should be the parent's job.
Religion should be the kid's job.
This.

An it Harm None, Do What Ye Will
An it Harm, Do Only What Ye Must

Lighten up! This life was made for experimenting, making mistakes, falling on our faces, and standing up to do it all over again.
Live for Learning.

Carla Franklin may be a whore. She may be a wonderful, kind, moral woman. Seeing as I don't know her personally, I cannot know for sure. However, I find her actions (suing Google, requesting the personal info of her critics, getting angry over random internet idiocy that she should ignore and be bigger than, trying to get this site in trouble because of a few users' commentary on the situation, etc.) pretty ridiculous and unwarranted. If she didn't want people to to be talking about/judging her, well 1. that's impossible, she's a human, and 2. she shouldn't have been a model or agreed to be on film. AND 3. she DEFINITELY shouldn't have sued Google and made all this fuss over a few random idiots whom she probably won't ever know expressing their opinion. Mmkay? MMKAY.
08-09-2010 11:50 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Who would ban it and on what authority?

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
08-09-2010 12:47 PM
Squittle Offline
Revolutionary

Prince Rilian Wrote:Who would ban it and on what authority?

Authority is really a silly concept, but when it is the only pragmatic option for ridding the world of an unnecessary evil like indoctrination, you generally seek the authority of the government or, in lieu of that, whatever institution the people organize to protect civil liberties (where they need protecting). I know it's sort of a bitter idea to most of us here, myself included, but I see expanding the power of the law, in this case specifically, as the moral option over allowing abuse and indoctrination to go on. That is to say that the power that parents exercise over children is more dangerous than the power that the law exercises over abusive parents, and the rights of powerless children take precedence over the rights of manipulative parents.

TLBiggrinR - the law, or whatever other entity happens to preserve order and protect the rights of the oppressed in the society in question, because the freedoms of abusive parents matter less than those of malleable children.

08-09-2010 12:56 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

NowhereWoman Wrote:
psychopath Wrote:

The difficulty is that we want parents to have the power to teach their kids to be anything the kids want, to be able to homeschool/unschool them, to allow the kids to form unconventional ideas.
At the same time, we don't want parents having the power to degrade their kids, indoctrinate them, or the like....

I want more power to parents and more power to kids. So the parent can teach the kid whatever they want, but if the kid wants outta the bullshit they can get out.

It's hard cuz it's kind of contradictory to say "The government shouldn't let parents do _____" when we are also saying "The government should let parents do _____"
In any case, if I were a parent, I wouldn't want the government encroaching on my parenting. I wanna raise my kids outside of the bs that public school teaches and that society deems normal. But what if that was considered 'indoctrination,' or CPS thought it was 'unhealthy?'

We have to change society not give the gov more power.

This right here squittle.

image hosting jpg
08-09-2010 01:04 PM
Squittle Offline
Revolutionary

And is there some other institution that can protect the right of those kids to think for themselves? Changing society sounds great and all, and we certainly wouldn't need this sort of ban if indoctrination no longer existed. Problem is, we live in a society where indoctrination is rampant. If there's some means by which abusive and brainwashing parents can be stopped and the freedoms of children can be protected other than the law, I'm glad to hear it.

(Bear in mind, I don't necessarily think banning religious indoctrination would be very practical with the current bureaucracy, even if it is the right thing to do.)

08-09-2010 01:09 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Squittle Wrote:And is there some other institution that can protect the right of those kids to think for themselves? Changing society sounds great and all, and we certainly wouldn't need this sort of ban if indoctrination no longer existed. Problem is, we live in a society where indoctrination is rampant. If there's some means by which abusive and brainwashing parents can be stopped and the freedoms of children can be protected other than the law, I'm glad to hear it.

Whats so different than indoctrination by the government and indoctrination by religion?

Even if religion were banned kids would still be brainwashed and manipulated in another way.

Its human bias and that won't change unless we got like a massive recall of society which some silly ban on religion isn't going to help.

image hosting jpg
08-09-2010 01:15 PM
Squittle Offline
Revolutionary

HeartofShadows Wrote:Whats so different than indoctrination by the government and indoctrination by religion?

Even if religion were banned kids would still be brainwashed and manipulated in another way.

Its human bias and that won't change unless we got like a massive recall of society which some silly ban on religion isn't going to help.

Banning parents from indoctrinating their children implies no external indoctrination on the part of the government. Though I agree that, in practice, there would be some further oppressive expansion of state influence accompanying this decision, which is why it's not really realistic to ban this stuff.

08-09-2010 01:21 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

How 'bout... let parents do anything. But make sure it's common knowledge that if kids really want to get away from their parents, there's a legal option for them to do so relatively easily and stress-free.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
08-10-2010 04:51 PM