RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Positive Experiences
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
Positive Experiences

We too often make posts about all the bad things that happen in school. I want this thread to be a place for us to share the good experiences we've had.

Hidden stuff:
-- My first programming class in high school was really awesome. I actually learned things there. The final project was to make a text-based video game. Apparently, the teacher liked mine so much that he wanted to put me in the International Baccalaureate program for computer science. I did that for a little while, and it was pretty great.

-- I met my best friend in kindergarten. We played with blocks and made them into Super Mario levels.
---- I met another good friend in high school through my best friend. We go to Perkins late at night sometimes.

-- Every day before 1st period class started in high school, my sister and I would find a clear spot in the hallway to sit next to the wall and talk. It didn't take long to notice that there was one boy who kept walking by. Turns out he was making a big circle around the wing over and over and over again until class started. He had perfect posture, and constantly smiled. I had decided to start calling him Captain Carl. He was a cool guy.

-- I discovered School-Survival.

-- There were cute girls everywhere in high school. I so wish I had the guts to talk to some of them back then. Embarrassed

-- I guess if I think of any more I'll put them here. It's kind of sad that I can't think of any more. :(
08-02-2010 01:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
V.R. Offline
Revolutionary

Given 19 thank(s) in 13 post(s)
Re: Positive Experiences

0 replies, haha.
Mostly because the forum is composed of deluded kiddies who have no idea what to do and instead act like wannabe-/b/tards.
Hey, come on, there is SOME truth in that!
08-03-2010 02:23 AM
MorikoMisa Offline
Fanatic

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

I am not deluded, I have an idea on what I want to do (Art, I want to make manga-style comics.) and I'm only a /b/tard on weekends and holidays.

-Got 100% closer to who were my only two friends after joining my shitty grade school in grade 5.
-Met one of my best friends.
-Found school-survival.
-Me and my group claimed this one tree as ours, so many memories on that yard.
-The best teacher I ever had was in grade 7 and she was the best, seriously.
-My grade 8 teacher sucked, but the last term we got a new one and he was actually really fun.
-SWINE FLUUUU! that was amazing, okay.
-got into the enriched art program for high school because my teachers loved me.

*SPARKLING* *DOUCHEBUCKETS.*
08-03-2010 02:46 AM
 Thanks given by: The man
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

V.R. Wrote:0 replies, haha.
Mostly because the forum is composed of deluded kiddies who have no idea what to do and instead act like wannabe-/b/tards.
Uh, probably more because a lot of the bad things are systemic, while a lot of the good things are only incidental.

Hidden stuff:
Anyway.
  • I had a really awesome teacher in grade 3 who didn't really follow the curriculum, read us some awesome blog-type thing about some guys climbing Mount Everest everyday, and let us play on the playground instead of having gym class.
  • I was very very shy as a kid, and my math teacher in grade 7 and 8 encouraged me to do track and field and student council and stuff. Mind, I don't think these things are very important in the long run, and I don't even think they helped me become less shy. But it was nice of her to do.
  • Even though the gifted program was kind of useless in general (it was only once a month at a different school), we did some cool stuff, and I met this girl who I was pretty good friends with. It was nice because everyone was kind of weird so you didn't have to try not to be.
  • We went on a field trip in grade 9 for tech class, and I saw the prettiest girl ever. (Yes, I still remember because I'm that lame.) She was probably 17 or 18 and had bright red dreadlocks that went halfway down her back. That same day, I also saw a guy with a t-shirt that said "Sodomy Road" on a Sesame Street sign. xD
  • Hand-drafting was pretty awesome, even though none of the squares were actually square and some of those plastic triangle things for drawing certain angles had the corners broken off. AutoCAD was less awesome, but still pretty fun.
    [/list:u]

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
08-03-2010 03:32 AM
 Thanks given by: The man
Leon Kinotolian Offline
Admincat

Given 11 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

V.R. Wrote:0 replies, haha.
Hi, troll. My name is Randomcat. If you aren't willing to stay on topic once in a while, bad things will happen to you. ^_^

As per my own positive school experiences back in the day... Well, most stuff was good during elementary, where I actually learned and had fun. In high school... Veeery few positive experiences. Off the top of my head, working at the front desk as an aide. Useful and entertaining shit.

*Tentaclerape*
Hidden stuff:
The Desert Fox Wrote:
Rebelnerd Wrote:Avatar was an inside job.
For $9.11 I'll give you an inside job.
Raikuron Wrote:Okay. I fail. DISREGARD THAT EVERYONE, I SUCK COCKS!
BaronVonStrangle Wrote:fox you should take everything mystery says with a pinch of salt

and by pinch of salt i actually mean you need to build a fucking salt processing plant so you have enough salt to dispell the bullshit
08-03-2010 03:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
V.R. Offline
Revolutionary

yeah that was blatant trolling

seriously though, I can't think of any positive experiences. =| The bad greatly overshadows-OH YEAH, I have a decent music teacher. Not that we actually learn anything useful in that class.
08-03-2010 03:41 AM
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

magikarp Wrote:We went on a field trip in grade 9 for tech class, and I saw the prettiest girl ever. (Yes, I still remember because I'm that lame.) She was probably 17 or 18 and had bright red dreadlocks that went halfway down her back.
It's true, dreadlocks are awesome. Especially on women. You should get dreadlocks, and I should get dreadlocks, and you and Vatman should divorce, and then you and I should hook up and be awesome together. Hug Embarrassed

And I never got to do hand drafting! My school only had AutoCAD! The only reason I joined that class was because I thought we would do hand drafting, but I guess that's an archaic medium and it's time we embraced the future. :(
Hidden stuff:
Oops, I forgot that we were supposed to be talking about positive things here.
Leon Kinotolian Wrote:Off the top of my head, working at the front desk as an aide.
When was this? What sort of work did you have to do?

MorikoMisa Wrote:got into the enriched art program for high school because my teachers loved me.
What's an "enriched art program"? Was it worthwhile?
08-03-2010 03:49 AM
MorikoMisa Offline
Fanatic

Eidolon Wrote:
MorikoMisa Wrote:got into the enriched art program for high school because my teachers loved me.
What's an "enriched art program"? Was it worthwhile?
Well I've yet to technically start it, but I'm really excited to get to do it this coming year. Basically it's a more advanced art class with better supplies, a more fun teacher, and in grade 11 and 12 you can get college credits from some of the projects thanks to a link between the high school and one of the art colleges in the city. I've met the teacher and he looks like a mad scientist, plus there's a mannequin in the middle of the art room with an afro and a tie made of CDs. I'm hoping it will be worthwhile.

08-03-2010 04:08 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Ahh Hey Eidolon(long time no see on the forums).

Ahh now lets see, good moments..

When I called my math teacher in algebra class a bitch and by her words "Undermined her authority." infront of the entire class.

Found SS.

Reading in the library which taught me all sorts of things and gave me a way out of class.

Skipping classes to hang out with random people and learn all sorts of things.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
08-03-2010 07:34 AM
MorikoMisa Offline
Fanatic

Oh I forgot one.
-Have learned a lot about human behavior and how to manipulate people.

08-03-2010 07:37 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

MorikoMisa Wrote:Oh I forgot one.

Aye to that monster lady.

School is Sociopath Heaven.

image hosting jpg
08-03-2010 07:49 AM
MorikoMisa Offline
Fanatic

HeartofShadows Wrote:

Oh how I agree~
You wouldn't believe how well a smile and a compliment can work on some of those people, even if you don't mean either.

08-03-2010 08:07 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

MorikoMisa Wrote:
HeartofShadows Wrote:

Oh how I agree~
You wouldn't believe how well a smile and a compliment can work on some of those people, even if you don't mean either.

In high school I never had to go to in school suspension or detention because I knew people in the offices who would collect the referral and then tear up the little notice to add me to the list because they knew me as a favor(the aides I mean).

Also with the social classes and all that people are so simple to guess and pull in high school that its easy to make allies.

image hosting jpg
08-03-2010 08:30 AM
KittyKatBlack Offline
Resident Brony

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Psychology was an excellent class. It had its moments, but for the most part it was great. The teacher was hilarious.
08-03-2010 08:30 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Playing with the scooters. That was a positive experience.

Eidolon Wrote:And I never got to do hand drafting! My school only had AutoCAD!
I liked autocad! But I never had a dream of doing hand drafting. But we did it in my engineering class in coolige.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
08-03-2010 12:53 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

I don't remember anything positive at all. My computer "programming" class was Microsoft Word, and it WAS really called computer programming. My music classes were pretty much fucking useless, only that I seemed to get interested on piano and shit on my first one. Seems to be the only positive thing I can think of.
I'm supposedly going to an "engineering academy" thing, MAYBE it will be a positive experience.

[Image: glorious666.png]
08-03-2010 04:29 PM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Eidolon Wrote:
magikarp Wrote:We went on a field trip in grade 9 for tech class, and I saw the prettiest girl ever. (Yes, I still remember because I'm that lame.) She was probably 17 or 18 and had bright red dreadlocks that went halfway down her back.
It's true, dreadlocks are awesome. Especially on women. You should get dreadlocks, and I should get dreadlocks, and you and Vatman should divorce, and then you and I should hook up and be awesome together. Hug Embarrassed
Hug

Vatman and I never married! That's why he always has to keep asking.

Quote:And I never got to do hand drafting! My school only had AutoCAD! The only reason I joined that class was because I thought we would do hand drafting, but I guess that's an archaic medium and it's time we embraced the future. :(
Hidden stuff:
Oops, I forgot that we were supposed to be talking about positive things here.
D:

We only got to do it for maybe two weeks before we had to switch. And don't you realize the importance of 21st century skills to keep up with your peers, mister?

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
08-03-2010 04:31 PM
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Lunatic Wrote:I'm supposedly going to an "engineering academy" thing, MAYBE it will be a positive experience.
That sounds like something I would be jealous of. What is it, exactly?

KittyKatBlack Wrote:Psychology was an excellent class. It had its moments, but for the most part it was great. The teacher was hilarious.
It's amazing how much of a difference a fun teacher can make. There were a few I remember that actually made it enjoyable to be in class. Can you believe it? :O

Oh, and a major thing that I left out of my first post was recess. I had such good times on that playground.
08-03-2010 06:15 PM
V.R. Offline
Revolutionary

Lunatic Wrote:My music classes were pretty much fucking useless.

Same. We learn how to sing revolutionary songs, learn the different types of instruments and so-called "musical forms". What the hell?
08-03-2010 07:37 PM
Psychoqueen Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I have one really awesome teacher who treats me well, listens to my opinions, lets me work my own way and actually teaches me stuff that I can use in everyday life. I enjoy her classes.
08-03-2010 07:57 PM
KittyKatBlack Offline
Resident Brony

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Eidolon Wrote:It's amazing how much of a difference a fun teacher can make. There were a few I remember that actually made it enjoyable to be in class. Can you believe it? :O
It was the only time in my life I wanted to go to a class. In fact, some days the only reason I didn't skip school was because I wanted to go to that class.
08-03-2010 09:37 PM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

The only good experience I had when I was in 5th grade and before which was the time that I was completely pro-school. I can't remember any good time that I had in school at all, but I had decent times. Majority of the time is horrible and stressful.

ZZZ...
08-04-2010 11:37 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  my school says im positive for ADHD classclown 25 7,093 02-15-2013 08:49 AM
Last Post: AtheistLGBTQAnarchist
  What's positive about your schools? Blobthe15 33 9,034 01-24-2012 11:43 AM
Last Post: M3116
  My Experiences In The Current Education System Slightlygeeky 2 1,850 01-07-2010 12:34 PM
Last Post: Reptorian
  On the Positive Side... Happy Camper 5 3,199 09-15-2007 10:23 AM
Last Post: Happy Camper