RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] My views on the Cultures of SS
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

Given 233 thank(s) in 157 post(s)

Haha you had the huevos of saying "hugbox" and "edgy." I've been trying to avoid using that ever since the forums were brought back up. They're rather badgering and using them in arguments don't really get anything done but cause more arguing.

IMO the "New Order" of SS is what's currently dominant. After the latest shutdown it appears that most of the "Old Guard" couldn't care less of SS now but the thing is we need to have an aftermath in all this. After that shutdown we can't stop getting rid of the rest of the "Old Guard."

The reason I want to more or less get rid of the "Old Guard" is because they're basically stomping on the grounds of what used to be their stomping grounds. I refuse to find a middle ground with these guys. I've talked with xcriteria and he wants to find a way to cooperate with these trolls but not all trolls can be reasoned with. It's like oil and water, we're just not going to mix. I want to avoid a "Cold War" because if we try to reach out to them we'll eventually recreate this past summer's events.

Although DoA didn't do this in a very professional manner at least he had the huevos to carry out and interpret the forum rules, something that the rest of the forum team highly lacks in doing. I get that xcriteria wants to learn from these guys and find a way to coexist with them but he's asking for the impossible. I doubt they even care about the anti-school movement anymore so what justification is there for them being allowed to be here?

Even though xcriteria wants us to learn from the "Old Order" I've viewed their new environment and there's nothing I've learned from it. It's almost like asking me to learn in school.

This makes me wonder if the current shell of the forum team has even ever had any experience whatsoever in moderation. You don't always need experience to start something as you mostly learn by doing, but the way current things have been handled has been rather slow and without much progress of ousting the previous gen.

I'm sorry if I sound rather blunt towards you Chanku as you're pretty neutral, but I want to make it known that I don't welcome their kind here because I don't condone in their behavior whatsoever.

Their behavior, in summation, is a compilation of basically telling new(er) users to "leave while they still can," repeatedly slandering their former stomping grounds for being too "carebearish," badgering the forum team and even the forum owner herself, and asking what good is this forum for with others saying "for the lulz."

Yeah, I'd love to continue that behavior here. The very behavior that exacerbated SS's issues, and some people still welcome that here. Rolleyes

Seven crappy hours of our lives.
08-22-2014 08:26 AM
Find all posts by this user
 Thanks given by: Ky , SoulRiser
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 31 thank(s) in 18 post(s)
My views on the Cultures of SS

(08-22-2014 08:26 AM)SirMarty Wrote:  Haha you had the huevos of saying "hugbox" and "edgy." I've been trying to avoid using that ever since the forums were brought back up. They're rather badgering and using them in arguments don't really get anything done but cause more arguing.
True, however I used them only a few times(mainly explaining where I believe the terms came from, and then to use them in the end, mainly for users who come in in the future and happen to see the fights and stuff). That and the fact that it gives a bit of a sense of what the cultures are.
Quote:IMO the "New Order" of SS is what's currently dominant. After the latest shutdown it appears that most of the "Old Guard" couldn't care less of SS now but the thing is we need to have an aftermath in all this. After that shutdown we can't stop getting rid of the rest of the "Old Guard."
To be honest I view neither as dominant atm. While yes a lot of the Old Guard that was here, have seemed to leave, both are still somewhat dominant. Also the Old Guard also contains people like xcriteria, soul, and people we should keep around. Although it should be noted that not all Old Guards are apart of Old Guard Culture, and prefer the New Guard Culture.
Quote:The reason I want to more or less get rid of the "Old Guard" is because they're basically stomping on the grounds of what used to be their stomping grounds. I refuse to find a middle ground with these guys. I've talked with xcriteria and he wants to find a way to cooperate with these trolls but not all trolls can be reasoned with. It's like oil and water, we're just not going to mix. I want to avoid a "Cold War" because if we try to reach out to them we'll eventually recreate this past summer's events.
I see where you are coming from, however the thing is is that as I mentioned the xcriteria subculture of the New Guard Culture, wants both to exist peacefully, and form a middle ground where both cultures will mix. Technically the xcrit subculture is what the New Guard Culture is, at least in some 'pure form' IMO.
Quote:Although DoA didn't do this in a very professional manner at least he had the huevos to carry out and interpret the forum rules, something that the rest of the forum team highly lacks in doing. I get that xcriteria wants to learn from these guys and find a way to coexist with them but he's asking for the impossible. I doubt they even care about the anti-school movement anymore so what justification is there for them being allowed to be here?
To be honest I really don't know. You would have to talk to the others.
Quote:Even though xcriteria wants us to learn from the "Old Order" I've viewed their new environment and there's nothing I've learned from it. It's almost like asking me to learn in school.
To be honest I think he wants us to learn from their mistakes and their ideas and try and figure out how not to repeat the mistakes and try and adapt their ideas to work better.
Quote:This makes me wonder if the current shell of the forum team has even ever had any experience whatsoever in moderation. You don't always need experience to start something as you mostly learn by doing, but the way current things have been handled has been rather slow and without much progress of ousting the previous gen.
Well to be honest though, we have a procedure, and that procedure is to be followed in order to allow us to make the best decisions for SS, to the best of our abilties. Yes this does come at the cost of being slow, especially since we have several different moderation styles and as such cause us to be slow to act at times.

Also a lot of the moderation team doesn't want more drama, and we just want this shit to end.
Quote:I'm sorry if I sound rather blunt towards you Chanku as you're pretty neutral, but I want to make it known that I don't welcome their kind here because I don't condone in their behavior whatsoever.
Nor do I,(in condoning their actions) however this is simply taking a look at the two cultures that have emerged in School-Survival, and trying to explain the actions of both sides in a neutral way, at least to the best of my abilities. Although there will be people that highly disagree with the statement that I am neutral.
Quote:Their behavior, in summation, is a compilation of basically telling new(er) users to "leave while they still can," repeatedly slandering their former stomping grounds for being too "carebearish," badgering the forum team and even the forum owner herself, and asking what good is this forum for with others saying "for the lulz."
Well technically the ex-forum owner(from what I have gathered Me, xcriteria, and Night all now 'own' the forums, so we don't really need to report to her anymore, as long as it's nothing to major(like deleting the forums). And yes I agree that some people need to leave, but again this is because that is what they view SS as, it's their culture. Do I agree with what they do? No, I don't. However sometimes we need to look at different perspectives.
Quote:Yeah, I'd love to continue that behavior here. The very behavior that exacerbated SS's issues, and some people still welcome that here. Rolleyes
Again I never stated that I enjoyed that behavior, nor did I ever state I wanted it to continue, I merely stated my observations of the two Cultures, and my theories on things, along with my own beliefs.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
08-22-2014 08:42 AM
 Thanks given by: Ky , SoulRiser
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

Given 233 thank(s) in 157 post(s)

Chanku, you split this same post into General Talk but I think you did it accidentally. I ended up moving it into the Frag Arena due to derailment and no more constructive discussion.

I will be locking this thread so the same doesn't happen here.

Seven crappy hours of our lives.
08-23-2014 09:21 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 31 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

I meant to put it in General Talk, because some people might have wanted to respond. I split this here because I had my response left and I couldn't move it by itself.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
08-23-2014 10:02 AM
Thread Closed