RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forums back up (and on shiny new VPS)
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Pretty much what the title says. I also updated MyBB to the latest version.

As for changes... we now have a Forum Helpers group. They're kind of like moderators, but they can only move & split threads. No deleting or banning or warning or anything potentially destructive. So pretty much anyone can be a Forum Helper as long as they're not blatantly malicious (or very bad with computers). Razz

I'm also disabling the warning system entirely... it was never very well-implemented anyway, and seems to have done more harm than good overall.

Any discussion about disagreements or whatever should be done in PM and not in public forums.

Also, I enjoyed my break from the forums so much that I've decided I'm going to be mostly inactive here. I'll pretty much only really care about the psychology and emotional support sections, and ignore mostly everything else. I'll still get rid of spambots though.

xcriteria, Chanku and Night will be the people you can contact if you need something done on the forums that the Forum Helpers can't do. I've disabled my PM's.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
08-18-2014 04:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: GamerGurl , Ky , vonunov , Alistoriv
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

Given 233 thank(s) in 157 post(s)
RE: Forums back up (and on shiny new VPS)

Will there be a point in time where you decide to become more active on SS then? I feel as if what discouraged you (and still discourages you) to be active is the whole drama and moderation which, for the most part, I think is behind us. At least our lead admin won't be inactive entirely, but I hope you reconsider sooner rather than later. SS needs you or I think forum morale might plummet. I believe our movement needs one of the people who started it all.

I don't think the warning system was any issue. I remember someone (who shall go unnamed to avoid call-outs) specifically mentioned that some former members were coming back just for the sake of trolling and baiting. Those people DO deserve warnings and infractions for disrupting community discussion and for potentially trying to creating a toxic atmosphere.

Remember you said that this forum isn't for everyone, and if they don't want to adhere to basic forum etiquette then they should face the consequences or deserve permanent sanctions against their account.

As with any forum I think we should create a community team when SS gets bigger. A team of forum mods who handle reports on a case by case basis who issue warnings, infractions, and bans. I believe people have a right to chances, but if they continually break their chances harsher sanctions should be imposed if they continue with their forum riff-raff.

I say that there should be a system of temporary warnings and infractions. These could last for as little as a week but as long as a month. However, alongside those would be serious warnings and infractions. Only under extreme circumstances would these be handed out, and these would be handed out to those who've continually been given temporary warnings and infractions.

I don't think that suspensions should exist, but only perma bans. Permanent bans would only be handed out in the utmost extreme cases; i.e. Duelix.

When warnings, infractions, or bans are handed out the user would be sent a PM by a moderator account (ex. SS Community Team) detailing what the user is in violation of and what post(s) lead to that warning, infraction, or ban. In the final part of the PM, the user would be told to send a new PM to the Community Team account in order to contest the warning or infraction.

That is just an idea but with us being such a different forum (anti-schooling, extremely unconventional) I highly doubt we'd ever have to hand out warnings or infractions or bans (except with trolls such as Duelix Razz). I just think we need a system in place in the event that SS grows dramatically since forums occasionally have a period of time every year where forum activity and registration increases.

If you want me to I'd be happy to handle such a system (since I created it and all, and yes when it comes to being a leader or "on top" I'm certainly not as modest as I appear to be), but if Chanku and Night will be the only moderators that's fine too. This is for in the event that SS grows unexpectedly or if we have former members returning for payback.

I'm also going to touch on one more point.

The forum that shall go unnamed thinks that there should be "freedom of speech." You know what? I call bullshit on that.

You know why? I honestly think that that's just an excuse to justify their riff-raff. You can offer criticism without sounding crass, disrespectful, and toxic. You know what they call that? Constructive criticism. It's being mature. This is a forum to offer support to those who're going through a shitty time in their life because of school. They do NOT need to deal with more personal attacks and harassment because they're not going to school and/or "disobeying" their elders, especially here.

Forum rules and moderation are needed in order for the users to understand what IS and what is NOT okay. If you don't have that you're going to have chaos just like what happened throughout most of the summer here on SS. Someone I talked to admitted that some people were coming back here only to cause chaos – and guess what – it fucking worked! Brickwall

Also, there is a derogatory term that those who boast the "freedom of speech" card use to describe this forum but we're a support group. In case you didn't know, that means being compassionate. Wink

I have no idea why these people want to use the "freedom of speech" card to get their point across in the way they do when they fully realize (unless they don't and are that stupid) that many adults do the exact same thing to us IRL and guess what: it doesn't fucking work. What makes you think it'll work here... in a support group... for those against compulsory schooling? Talk about aiding the pro-school doctrine. Rolleyes They remind me of what someone explained here of the people who used to be against compulsory schooling but forget about it, don't mind about it or happen to encourage it later in life.

Seven crappy hours of our lives.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2014 07:42 AM by GamerGurl.)
08-18-2014 07:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Wow, even just skimming through your post made me get all agitated again. So I'm not gonna read it properly.. hope you don't mind. I need to take care of my own sanity first and foremost. Everyone else is just gonna have to deal with it.

So yeah, I'll be mainly in the background for a while. Could definitely use help running SS. I think you'd do great. I also think people should be a Forum Helper for a while before getting upgraded to anything else. So I'll get you in there now...

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
08-18-2014 09:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

(08-18-2014 09:21 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Wow, even just skimming through your post made me get all agitated again. So I'm not gonna read it properly.. hope you don't mind. I need to take care of my own sanity first and foremost. Everyone else is just gonna have to deal with it.

So yeah, I'll be mainly in the background for a while. Could definitely use help running SS. I think you'd do great. I also think people should be a Forum Helper for a while before getting upgraded to anything else. So I'll get you in there now...
I apologize if it got you mad. That wasn't my intention at all. Sadhug It was just an idea for mod-ship and that a forum DOES need guidelines so things don't get all chaotic and non-constructive. And that maybe we could also incorporate a School Survival Community Team that would be comprised of the mods/admins who would be in charge of executing and interpreting the forum rules.

Then I kinda took a shot (that didn't miss Wink) of the community that shall go unnamed. I dislike people who most likely knowingly use the "freedom of speech" card so they can justify whatever riff-raff they want to say to avoid any penalty for doing so.

08-18-2014 09:56 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

I know you didn't mean to. It's just that I was sooooo happy without having forums to worry about... pretty much anything that requires my input annoys me now. I haven't yet recovered, and it will probably take a long time.

Hidden stuff:
08-18-2014 09:58 AM
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

(08-18-2014 09:58 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  I know you didn't mean to. It's just that I was sooooo happy without having forums to worry about... pretty much anything that requires my input annoys me now. I haven't yet recovered, and it will probably take a long time.
If you feel as if the forums are becoming a burden on you, maybe you should consider "retiring." Laugh

Haha sorry, felt like saying that. Reminded me of a leader who was cheekily told by one of her colleagues to consider retiring since she was getting older. You'd still be lead admin, but maybe elect someone who can do what you don't like handling while, at the same time, your input won't be needed as much if at all. Smile

08-18-2014 10:40 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

I don't know what VPS is...but I'll go along with your belief that it's shiny.

Now I shall enjoy the shine.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
08-18-2014 01:32 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:If you feel as if the forums are becoming a burden on you, maybe you should consider "retiring."
That's actually kind of what I'm doing.

Hidden stuff:
08-18-2014 10:12 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

Damn, the one day I didn't log on was the day we returned to normalcy.

Still, it's good to finally be able to post again.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
08-19-2014 02:29 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(08-18-2014 10:12 PM)SoulRiser Wrote:  
Quote:If you feel as if the forums are becoming a burden on you, maybe you should consider "retiring."
That's actually kind of what I'm doing.

I'm not paying your socials security benefits...

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
08-19-2014 10:29 AM
Gwedin Offline
dumb shithead

Given 559 thank(s) in 410 post(s)

But I hate glossy finishes. :| They catch fingerprints easily...
08-19-2014 05:07 PM
vonunov Offline
Badgrr

Given 186 thank(s) in 126 post(s)

(08-19-2014 05:07 PM)Gwedin Wrote:  But I hate glossy finishes. :| They catch fingerprints easily...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31hhHEDIlj8
08-20-2014 01:19 AM
Gwedin Offline
dumb shithead

Given 559 thank(s) in 410 post(s)

(08-20-2014 01:19 AM)vonunov Wrote:  
(08-19-2014 05:07 PM)Gwedin Wrote:  But I hate glossy finishes. :| They catch fingerprints easily...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31hhHEDIlj8

I honestly love you.
08-20-2014 06:50 PM
 Thanks given by: vonunov
Sharpie Offline
Banned

Given 169 thank(s) in 113 post(s)

Wear gloves you fucking amateurs
08-20-2014 07:06 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

fingerless gloves

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
08-21-2014 11:49 AM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

Is this place doing OK now? Is everyone all right?

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
09-15-2014 06:30 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Who were you again?

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
09-15-2014 12:14 PM
Username Offline
Drunkard

Given 228 thank(s) in 166 post(s)

(09-15-2014 06:30 AM)Faby Wrote:  Is this place doing OK now? Is everyone all right?

It is certainly dead, ya Skyrim lovin' f**
09-15-2014 10:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forums back up SoulRiser 50 38,823 10-11-2012 08:53 AM
Last Post: Ky