Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moderation Suggestions Thread
SwiftEscudo Offline
Actually Duelix

Given 99 thank(s) in 57 post(s)

Disclaimer: This is in no way an official place to decide shit nor are the suggestions of the users in this thread some kind of aggressive demand against the mods or SoulRiser

This thread is designed for users to provide suggestions relating to the moderation of SS.

You may post a list of your preferred moderators, with or without stating reasons why. You may also list your suggestions for moderating philosophy and conduct.

My suggestions:

Moderators should always do their best to act impartial and try to avoid picking favourites or targeting specific users. This also goes with people's personal views, the rules stay the same regardless of whether they are being broken by some sunshine and rainbows pacifist or a guy who support chemical warfare experimentation on the untermensch.

Moderators should also be well-known and respected members of the SS community. They don't have to be universally liked or respected, but they should have some prominence.

Finally, moderators should be known by their user title and their position being stated in an official thread. They should not be known because they constantly flaunt their position around and threaten users in individual threads.

Suggested moderator list (Regardless of whether they're in or want the position or not, this is my preferred list of SS mods):

Weswammy - Wes has been around for ages and is pretty well-known. He's also fairly well liked and respected. Wes also has a thing for free speech and definitely has the right character to be a responsible moderator.

Sharpie - Been around for ages, well-known, respected etc. Also has good character and generally is able to act in an impartial manner.

Desu - Been around for a long time and is well-known. Respectable dude that still jokes around a lot, which is good. The moderation team shouldn't exclude people who spend a lot of time in random just because 'silly immature people' Also seems like he'd be impartial, though I don't know too much about him.

Xcriteria - Already a good mod, keep 'em.

Neue - Same goes for him.

Night - *LE CONTROVERSIAL CHOICE* But no, Night seems to have been a pretty good mod recently. Although she does occasionally act cautious when it comes to stuff like Ramm's site, that's not necessarily a bad thing. I think she's able to stand back and try to act impartial these days. Besides, she's well-known and generally liked among most members with the exception of some DnE'ers and oldfafs (But I think she's actually building a better reputation with those guys, too.)

There are other good potential mods, but I don't think we'd need any more than that.

Post your suggestions below.

RIP GORE GOROTH
RIP SAINTVICIOUS
[Image: fuckinghell_zpsb0150fd5.png]
07-16-2014 10:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Ky
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1447 thank(s) in 960 post(s)

This is actually a good thread idea. I wish I'd thought of it.

"Moderators should always do their best to act impartial and try to avoid picking favourites or targeting specific users. This also goes with people's personal views, the rules stay the same regardless of whether they are being broken by some sunshine and rainbows pacifist or a guy who support chemical warfare experimentation on the untermensch."

Yeah, I hear what you're saying here, and I agree, for the most part - no matter what our views are, we're all people, and no one is superior to anyone else. But if those views (either kind, really, but we're naturally going to be more sympathetic to the sensitive) alienate other users, spark unhealthy arguments, and/or make Soul angry somehow, action of some kind is going to have to be taken.

"Moderators should also be well-known and respected members of the SS community. They don't have to be universally liked or respected, but they should have some prominence."

Each moderator we have today is well-known among the present-day community; I believe Soul chose us for a reason. I agree with this as well.

"Finally, moderators should be known by their user title and their position being stated in an official thread. They should not be known because they constantly flaunt their position around and threaten users in individual threads."

Duly noted. (Don't we have an official thread for that already? I kinda forgot where it was.)

Truth be told, I wouldn't mind Wes joining the current moderation team; the things you have to say about him are true. It's a shame I don't know much about Desu; he rarely posts outside of Random, and I don't have a good understanding of his character yet. Sharpie would certainly know what to do if he received the extra responsibilities, and I would vouch for him, but there would be a definite conflict of interest with most, if not all, established moderators, and the fact that he's been trying to backseat mod is concerning.

I also agree that xcriteria and Neue are the most sensible, and I can understand why you wouldn't consider me for that list. But, in the end, it's Soul's choice, of course.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
07-17-2014 02:22 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 25 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

While I agree with portions of your post I disagree with some of the people that you listed for moderators. Mainly Desu, Sharpie, and Wes. I have no issue with Desu(excluding the fact that he rarely posts outside of Random and hasn't really posted anything good). Also just because someone is well known does not equal a good moderator. I prefer the moderators we have now over those because we have a good mix of moderators. Plus we are the first moderation team since the shutdown and we are doing things differently. So yes we WILL mess up a lot, but we are still learning. Also might I add that Wes isn't very respected due to a few posts he has made in my opinion, and Sharpie is less than liked and respected(I tolerate him, and preferably, I try and limit my interactions with him.)

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
07-17-2014 02:46 AM
Sharpie Offline
Banned

Given 168 thank(s) in 112 post(s)
RE: Moderation Suggestions Thread

Quote:but there would be a definite conflict of interest with most, if not all, established moderators

I disagree here. I'm fairly certain that i have the same interests as all of the current mods; i want to see things improved on the forums, as well as avoid any future issues. Me having a different method of doing so doesn't equate to having conflicting interests.

Quote:and the fact that he's been trying to backseat mod is concerning.

What do you mean by "backseat mod"? Trying to tell you guys what to do and such? No; i've made suggestions, sure, but I don't remember ever demanding that you do what i say or trying to control what you or any other mod does. If I've come off as such, that wasn't my intention.

Quote: Also just because someone is well known does not equal a good moderator.

Well, similarly, NOT being well known/liked/respected doesn't equate to a bad moderator(:

Anyways enough of that shit, here's my choices:

Xcriteria
Neue
Night
DoA if he could learn to not be so condescending about it
Wes

Being a mod shouldn't be a position of power or something to be bragged about and held over someone else's head and used to threaten them. It's like the real-world equivalent of volunteer work; you willingly do it for the sake of improving something, and expect no special treatment or recognition in return.

Mods should be capable of enforcing the rules in a kind but firm way. Simply tell the user what they did wrong and give them the respective temp/perma bans and warnings, depending on which rule they broke and the severity. It's not only unnecessary to insult and threaten rule offenders, but destructive because it tends to worsen the situation and provoke more rule breaking and trolling.

Mods should also be capable of doing their jobs without allowing any personal aspect of an offender to factor into the response to said offense; only their actions. And pretty much everything else swift said.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2014 03:33 AM by Sharpie.)
07-17-2014 03:30 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

(07-17-2014 03:30 AM)Sharpie Wrote:  Mods should also be capable of doing their jobs without allowing any personal aspect of an offender to factor into the response to said offense; only their actions. And pretty much everything else swift said.
This is impossible. Whether you realize it or not, you CAN NOT separate your feelings from what you do, It's impossible. No matter how hard you try you can not separate your feelings, your personality, who you are from your decisions. While you can do it unconsciously, you can't separate your feelings from what you do.

Also the backseat modding is probably about you bitching every time we do our fucking job and it's not xcriteria, or those that have your favor. Although I do agree with some of what you said, and I disagree with the backseat modding claims. There are parts that I won't refute because either:
  • I agree with them
  • Refuting them would be pointless as they are your opinion.
Which is why I ignored a good portion of your post.

Also I think the moderators are fine as is, although some could use some more learning than others.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

07-17-2014 05:15 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1907 thank(s) in 1374 post(s)

I obviously nominate myself like a true pirate.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
07-17-2014 06:13 AM
 Thanks given by: Alistoriv
Ky Offline
Shadow

I don't see Chanku on any of those lists, nor Hansgrohe. They're both underrated moderators who certainly do a better job with their responsibilities than I do, even if they don't use their extra buttons that often. In fact, I think their restraint is a good thing.

Also, brainiac, I'll bite: What qualities of yours do you believe would make you an effective moderator?

07-17-2014 06:48 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 160 thank(s) in 109 post(s)

If you can't tell the difference between an emotional response and a reasoned response, consider not being in a position where your emotional fits effect others, even if that effect is small. If you can't step back and calmly act after careful consideration in a given situation, let someone else handle it. This has always worked for me just fine, maybe it's just you...

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
07-17-2014 06:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Ky , Alistoriv
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

I don't have a horse and/or a stick(pole or rod)?

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2014 07:58 AM by brainiac3397.)
07-17-2014 07:57 AM
Sharpie Offline
Banned

Quote:If you can't tell the difference between an emotional response and a reasoned response, consider not being in a position where your emotional fits effect others, even if that effect is small. If you can't step back and calmly act after careful consideration in a given situation, let someone else handle it. This has always worked for me just fine, maybe it's just you...

THIS is exactly what i was trying to say when i said mods should be able to do their jobs without allowing emotions to affect bans or warnings. Keep your shit in check if you're going to be in that position.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2014 08:22 AM by Sharpie.)
07-17-2014 08:20 AM
NiteRaidah Offline
hmmm

Given 36 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

If Vo or fist (or magikarp or whatever the hell her username is nowadays) stuck around some (dunno when they last posted, might be I should keep closer tabs on such things...) I think they'd do solid jobs. The rest of the team is pretty good too, I s'pose. Yeah...not much here...keep it below about 50 mods/admins and I think we'd be good to go. Razz

"All these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-Prince

07-17-2014 11:12 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

49 mods then?

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
07-17-2014 11:31 AM
NiteRaidah Offline
hmmm

Given 36 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

(07-17-2014 11:31 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  49 mods then?

My preferred number was 41, but I suppose if we move some numbers around.....

"All these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-Prince

07-17-2014 11:35 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 896 thank(s) in 592 post(s)

Do we even have 49 or 41 active users now?

How times have changed...

I do think it makes sense to have a set of active/interested/trusted users, equivalent to the old definition of mods... with a name, subforum, and set of responsibilities that differ from the more specific "site mod" job that a small number of people would have.

Maybe call the larger group an "advisory council" (or something... I'm sure there's a better term.)

I would specifically like to include older members in that... as well as some people who are specifically tasked with representing the interests of the larger population of people that SS and related sites may be able to help... but who haven't found the site, or haven't become active contributors.

Their interests matter to me, even though they're often forgotten about relative to the needs of the (at times, quite insular) active userbase.

And, if we really make the most of social media platforms, YouTube, etc., there's a lot more to do than just moderate forum posts and users.

That gets into aspects of community management that go beyond what a "mod" can do with their extra buttons. Things like helping people figure out the site, getting to know people, scheduling and facilitating events like chats, hangouts, etc.... these are all things that go far beyond the traditional scope of "being a forum mod."

Thoughts on that?

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
07-17-2014 02:11 PM
 Thanks given by: Ky , SoulRiser
SwiftEscudo Offline
Actually Duelix

(07-17-2014 02:22 AM)DoA Wrote:  I also agree that xcriteria and Neue are the most sensible, and I can understand why you wouldn't consider me for that list. But, in the end, it's Soul's choice, of course.

I actually did consider you a choice, I just decided to limit it to a small amount. Both you, Chanku and Hansgrohe are good choices and I certainly wouldn't consider it a bad idea to keep you guys.

RIP GORE GOROTH
RIP SAINTVICIOUS
07-17-2014 10:03 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 160 thank(s) in 109 post(s)

I think remove everyone including soulriser and me Sharpie and lunatic get admin and baron gets honorary mod even though he doesn't come on anymore.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2014 05:15 AM by Absnt.)
07-18-2014 05:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Alistoriv , SwiftEscudo
Sharpie Offline
Banned

I second that
07-18-2014 07:22 AM
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

Given 223 thank(s) in 153 post(s)

I would like to nominate myself as a moderator if possible, but only be sworn in once this site grows and shows constant activity and a growing userbase. Really, as Soul told me back in March or April, this forum only needs her to manage things at the moment.

Unless I've missed some things... Razz

Seven crappy hours of our lives.
07-22-2014 08:06 PM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

(07-22-2014 08:06 PM)SirMarty Wrote:  I would like to nominate myself as a moderator if possible, but only be sworn in once this site grows and shows constant activity and a growing userbase. Really, as Soul told me back in March or April, this forum only needs her to manage things at the moment.

You have there are moderators now(Night, DoA, Chanku(me), and Neue) and a new admin(xcriteria)

07-23-2014 02:57 AM
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

(07-23-2014 02:57 AM)Chanku Wrote:  
(07-22-2014 08:06 PM)SirMarty Wrote:  I would like to nominate myself as a moderator if possible, but only be sworn in once this site grows and shows constant activity and a growing userbase. Really, as Soul told me back in March or April, this forum only needs her to manage things at the moment.

You have there are moderators now(Night, DoA, Chanku(me), and Neue) and a new admin(xcriteria)
I know that, but by "Unless I missed somethings..." I meant if the userbase did grow to enough a size and activity increased enough that Night, DoA, you, etc. were promoted to mods.

07-23-2014 04:06 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

We've lost a few in fact.

And we shouldn't count defectors from DnE as userbase. They're more like exiles.

But then what does that make me? Confused

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
07-23-2014 04:14 PM
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

(07-23-2014 04:14 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  We've lost a few in fact.

And we shouldn't count defectors from DnE as userbase. They're more like exiles.

But then what does that make me? Confused
They're the pro-Russian separatists every major news network is talking about. Razz

07-23-2014 06:48 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(07-16-2014 10:42 PM)SwiftEscudo Wrote:  Disclaimer: This is in no way an official place to decide shit nor are the suggestions of the users in this thread some kind of aggressive demand against the mods or SoulRiser

I just noticed.

I refuse to agree with this disclaimer. Let's decide shit and ma suggestions are always aggressive demands against EVERYONE! Pirate

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
07-24-2014 05:46 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(07-24-2014 05:46 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  
(07-16-2014 10:42 PM)SwiftEscudo Wrote:  Disclaimer: This is in no way an official place to decide shit nor are the suggestions of the users in this thread some kind of aggressive demand against the mods or SoulRiser

I just noticed.

I refuse to agree with this disclaimer. Let's decide shit and ma suggestions are always aggressive demands against EVERYONE! Pirate

Well, in that case I'll have to direct you to our HR department. *points to a pool of hungry warnsharks*

07-24-2014 10:50 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

I'll take em all on! Smile

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
07-24-2014 12:06 PM
Sharpie Offline
Banned

I now suggest we have mods that don't mass-ban users at random. Who those people are, I do not care.
07-24-2014 01:06 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

We should vote for our mods. We all have experience with most users here over time.

And put a little more regulation in banning...like maybe consulting other mods and perhaps an admin before smashing the ban button.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
07-24-2014 01:07 PM
SwiftEscudo Offline
Actually Duelix

(07-24-2014 01:06 PM)Sharpie Wrote:  I now suggest we have mods that don't mass-ban users at random. Who those people are, I do not care.

RIP GORE GOROTH
RIP SAINTVICIOUS
07-24-2014 04:29 PM
Sharpie Offline
Banned

(07-24-2014 01:07 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  And put a little more regulation in banning...like maybe consulting other mods and perhaps an admin before smashing the ban button.

This is something DoA himself said was going to be done. I can't be fucked to find the post and quote it, but he said something along the lines of "bans will be discussed among all the moderators before a decision is made"

Also IIRC all bans, aside from obvious spambots and duelix/trolls, should be passed through soulriser first. Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe soul herself said that.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2014 07:04 PM by Sharpie.)
07-24-2014 07:04 PM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Actually SR is willing to let mods do their own thing so she can focus on other things.

Anywho we have the mod channel for a reason, and that's to discuss certain things. We discuss these things before hand, and usually with at least 3 present. However DoA did jump the gun on this one, and I do believe that DoA acted in good faith, as do all moderators, however he did mess up and I do disagree with his actions.

07-25-2014 03:51 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Forum Management Suggestions Thread Ky 29 3,101 08-21-2014 10:33 AM
Last Post: SwiftEscudo
  Moderation SwiftEscudo 9 1,386 06-23-2014 02:57 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  suggestions Potato 6 1,316 11-21-2012 11:21 AM
Last Post: Potato
  A couple of suggestions Bob Dole 10 1,780 09-02-2009 05:04 AM