RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] "Good luck being a real psychologist without a degree"
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

You think too much.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
07-12-2014 11:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)
Venting Thread

(07-12-2014 11:36 PM)Efs Wrote:  You think too much.

I've been told that before. This is a much better way to learn psychology than college, in my experience.

What would you say is the right amount to think?

I'm curious... did you appreciate anything in my analysis, or disagree with any of it?

Interacting on the forums has a lot more value when people actually interact, rather than issue one-line responses that basically imply, "I'm not going to participate in a conversation about this."

Care to add anything?

Feeling: Confused

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2014 11:53 PM by xcriteria.)
07-12-2014 11:40 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

RE: Venting Thread

(07-12-2014 11:40 PM)xcriteria Wrote:  

I've been told that before. This is a much better way to learn psychology than college, in my experience.

I'm curious... did you appreciate anything in my analysis, or disagree with any of it?

Interacting on the forums has a lot more value when people actually interact, rather than issue one-line responses that basically imply, "I'm not going to participate in a conversation about this."

Care to add anything?

Good luck being a real psychologist without a degree.

07-13-2014 12:01 AM
School Offline
Call me Raz

Given 41 thank(s) in 27 post(s)
RE: [split] "Good luck being a real psychologist without a degree"

(07-13-2014 12:01 AM)Efs Wrote:  
(07-12-2014 11:40 PM)xcriteria Wrote:  

Care to add anything?

Good luck being a real psychologist without a degree.

Got my BA in Psych and my MSW. Plenty of people who went through the college are not fit to be psychologists or therapists. It's unreal. I have seen internet armchair Psychologists with no degree that are much better than those that went through the years of school.

Unless you are being very literal meaning the law prevents him from practicing because he lacks a degree...

You can call me Raz

Current Game I'm Playing:
[Image: Eliwood_lord_sword_zps56a7be95.gif]
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2014 12:20 AM by School.)
07-13-2014 12:20 AM
 Thanks given by: xcriteria
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(07-13-2014 12:01 AM)Efs Wrote:  Good luck being a real psychologist without a degree.

Interesting. How would you define a real psychologist?

It's possible to do the equivalent things -- counseling/coaching/consulting -- without traditional credentials.

Quite a few people are questioning the value and benefits of traditional degrees, especially in a world where much of the content and many of the kinds of experiences that college can facilitate, can be obtained elsewhere.

From Harvard Business Review:

The Degree Is Doomed, by Michael Staton.

"Higher education, however, is in the midst of dramatic, disruptive change. It is, to use the language of innovation theorists and practitioners, being unbundled. (Some more of my thoughts on higher-ed unbundling can be found here.) And with that unbundling, the traditional credential is rapidly losing relevance. The value of paper degrees lies in a common agreement to accept them as a proxy for competence and status, and that agreement is less rock solid than the higher education establishment would like to believe."

"The value of paper degrees will inevitably decline when employers or other evaluators avail themselves of more efficient and holistic ways for applicants to demonstrate aptitude and skill. Evaluative information like work samples, personal representations, peer and manager reviews, shared content, and scores and badges are creating new signals of aptitude and different types of credentials."

It's been my experience that traditional mental health professionals are often missing large amounts of insight into what people need, and how to most effectively help them -- just as with traditional education.

This seems especially true for the population School Survival appeals to... that is, "school-averse learners" or what Roz Hussin calls "cognitive refugees."

I suppose one thing it all comes down to is whether I could get anyone to pay me as a coach/consultant/counselor -- and that's certainly easier with a traditional credential. But, I've found a lot of people who are doing different forms of this "getting paid to interact with an expert" thing, regardless of, and even despite any formal credentials they might have.

Also, one thing I have in mind is to collaborate with people who [i]do[i] have traditional credentials, as I've already started to somewhat.

The question is, in the end, how to provide real and perceived value to people, by giving them things they want or helping them with problems.

Thoughts on that?

I've been meaning to post a sort of support request in DoA's thread that explains a bit about my story so far, and my frustration with figuring out next steps and both being discounted for not being a "professional," but also accused of things like over-thinking, paying too much attention to things, or even taking too many people's perspectives into account.

That's how my mind works, that's what I enjoy doing, and I very much want to find a path in life where I can earn a living doing that in productive ways.

I get "good luck" a lot, but maybe the better response is, what's it going to take?

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2014 12:24 AM by xcriteria.)
07-13-2014 12:20 AM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

You're lucky I skimmed through what you just posted because it's all irrelevant.

To practise psychology, to actually be labelled as a psychologist and to work as a psychologist you need not only a bachelors degree, but a post-graduate degree as a minimum.

You can debate all you want about traditional degrees being a waste of time, which are valued nothing more than "a piece of paper" but that piece of paper shows the world you are a psychologist, and without it you aren't.

07-13-2014 12:25 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

To actually use the word "psychologist" to market yourself, in some places, you do need credentials.

But, it's possible to do the same basic kinds of work, and provide value to clients that they're willing to pay for, under other words like coach, consultant, counselor, mentor, mediator, curator, diagnostician, "person who interacts with people and applies their expertise to their situations," and so on.

I want to help people with many of the same problems people go to psychologists for, but do so in a way that's more helpful than traditional psychology paradigms. That means it's possible to do marketing that shows an actual advantage for coming from a different background than the school->college->gradschool->office pathway that leaves many professionals blind to a lot of real-life things.

The question of how you show the world what you can do is a critical one, and it's harder if you're not slipping into a well-defined category, but it's still possible, especially with the Internet.

Does that make sense?

Hidden stuff:
07-13-2014 01:04 AM
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)
RE: [split] "Good luck being a real psychologist without a degree"

xcriteria: shady back alley degreeless pseudo-psychologist

jkjk

He actually brings up a lot of good points. If somebody performs the same role that a psychologist does just as if not more competently than the average psychologist with a degree, shouldn't that person be held in the same regard? Attitudes are changing quickly. That piece of paper might not be so important in the future now that people have the means to educate themselves without it, and more people are waking up to this fact all the time.

Degrees should be set aside in exchange for examining people based on their merits. If somebody demonstrates that they know everything that somebody who acquires a degree would know and that they're able to handle patients just as well, why force them to spend a mind-boggling amount of time and money on school?

Who am I? Who are YOU?
07-13-2014 05:36 AM
 Thanks given by: Ky