Ideally, we shouldn't need rules. In a perfect world, people will treat each other with respect, disagree without being hostile, try to accommodate everyone's personal preferences, and all that good stuff. Someday, we hope this list will no longer be necessary... but until that day, here it is:
Global Rules (applies to all forums)
- No personal attacks (intentionally insulting people or things that are important to them). Keep all criticism constructive.
- Keep all personal arguments in private or anywhere off the forums. We don't need that stuff in public.
- No porn or disturbing images (gore or similar).
- Don't talk about or encourage illegal activities.
- Don't post any information that can be used to identify or harm others.
- No trolling (deliberately trying to cause conflict or drama).
Subforums can have their own specific rules/guidelines in addition to the above, and this will be specified in the forum itself.
Starting a Topic
- Be patient with others - everyone makes mistakes, and different people think in different ways.
- Try to encourage people to be their best.
- Avoid bumping old topics without adding insightful, original input or providing new information.
- Please do the best you can to follow proper English conventions. By using correct spelling and grammar, your posts will be easier to read, and more people will be likely to reply.
People starting a topic are allowed to specify loose guidelines and rules for their own topic, as long as they don't breach the global or forum-specific rules.
Other posters should then follow these rules as best they can. Deliberately breaking topic guidelines will result in warnings.
Warnings and Banning
Reaching a 100% warning level will result in an inability to post in most forums.
Repeated warnings for the same thing may result in you being temporarily or permanently banned from these forums (This is up to the discretion of the moderators, but you may appeal your ban if you believe you were banned unjustly).
If you are permanently banned and you come back with a new account you will be banned again.
- The only posts that should be deleted are spambot posts. Split and/or move everything else.
- Follow the same rules that everyone else must follow.
- Issue informal warnings for a first offence or for very minor issues (Only PM them asking them to stop).
- Banning should only be a last resort when everything else has failed (except for spambots).
We may amend these rules from time to time if we deem it necessary.
Thanks to everyone for their feedback on the rough draft thread