RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.


Post Reply 
 
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
The Finnish Model
Author Message
Evan92 Offline
Revolutionary

Posts: 212
Joined: May 2014
Thanks: 22
Given 69 thank(s) in 42 post(s)
Post: #1
The Finnish Model

Take a look at Finland's school system, no system is perfect but anything is better than what we have at present.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkNK3gY-rxg
07-09-2014 03:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Posts: 3,090
Joined: Oct 2005
Thanks: 814
Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)
Post: #2
The Finnish Model

I'm a bit wary about Finland, especially since it's become a sort of fad to cite it as the model to copy, while for most people nothing changes. It's definitely "better" in various ways, but it's still "school" in many traditional ways.

So, instead of looking to Finland and saying "let's copy this," I think more substantial re-envisioning needs to occur, especially at this point in history, and especially for students who really don't like school-as-usual.

I do want to learn more about Finland and its education system, but a lot of what's written is based on an "ooh, ahh..." kind of premise, since they have such great statistics.

In general, they still have grade levels, subjects, college as a separate level of school... and these are things that I think need to be dissolved, at least for the subset of students who can't learn like that.

Check out my comments here:

https://plus.google.com/1147365459142491...fZVPsDZV6h

In particular, I wondered if Finland's students are really happier with school, and I found this:

On the PISA (international standardized test), they asked 15-year-old test-takers whether they're happy at school. Finland scored near the bottom among surveyed countries, with less than 70% saying "agree" or "strongly agree" to the statement "I feel happy at school."

[Image: screen-shot-2013-12-03-at-8-30-20-am.png]

It's a very simple question... and it doesn't get into the why at all. But, an average of 20% do not feel happy at school, internationally.

Those are the people who are likely to be school-averse students. It'd be very interesting to have more detailed information about why people would express unhappiness, as I'm sure there are a range of reasons... and some number of students would check most or all of the boxes.

Thoughts?

Ken Robinson mentioned the Finnish statistics in his last TED talk, from last year.

I started a thread about it at the time, which turned into one of these threads where I've dumped out a bunch of content, ideas, links, and videos:

Ken Robinson: How to escape education's death valley (new TED talk)

My last post there has some references to some other threads on SS. I'm wondering how to adapt the highlights of all of these months and years of us questioning things into something that can make for a brighter message for those who take issue with school, than "deal with it."

One step is getting parents thinking about these things, and opening more people's minds up to different ways to do education, broadly-conceived, than the limited forms school takes in most parts of the world.

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation


School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2014 05:27 PM by xcriteria.)
07-09-2014 05:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: no
marduck Offline
Banned

Posts: 6
Joined: Jun 2014
Thanks: 1
Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Post: #3
RE: The Finnish Model

Looks pretty good. A little socialistic, but allows for more choosing of what you want to learn.
07-09-2014 05:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Evan92 Offline
Revolutionary

Posts: 212
Joined: May 2014
Thanks: 22
Given 69 thank(s) in 42 post(s)
Post: #4
The Finnish Model

XC, it does make me wonder as well the truth of Finish and this documentary in particular. Who's to say they didn't just pick the best schools to showcase. The methods do seem somewhat better if you will than I have experienced. But I could also pick up the vibe of tension as well coupled with almost a lack of individuality. No system is perfect, to me there are certain aspects of the Finnish model which could be incorporated in a smaller sense. However the factory model of compulsory ed needs to be left on the ash heap of history.
07-09-2014 05:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: xcriteria
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Posts: 18,240
Joined: Aug 2001
Thanks: 2674
Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Post: #5
The Finnish Model

Quote:But, an average of 20% do not feel happy at school, internationally.
I'm actually surprised this isn't higher.

I guess 80% are happy because they have friends to hang out with, and that's probably the main reason... I doubt very many are happy because of schoolwork.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
07-10-2014 02:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Posts: 9,823
Joined: Feb 2013
Thanks: 20
Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
Post: #6
The Finnish Model

Aren't most Scandinavians depressed or suicidal?

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
07-10-2014 07:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
School Offline
Call me Raz

Posts: 51
Joined: Jul 2014
Thanks: 6
Given 41 thank(s) in 27 post(s)
Post: #7
RE: The Finnish Model

(07-10-2014 02:54 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  
Quote:But, an average of 20% do not feel happy at school, internationally.
I'm actually surprised this isn't higher.

I guess 80% are happy because they have friends to hang out with, and that's probably the main reason... I doubt very many are happy because of schoolwork.

Bing bing. A lot of times kids like school because of friends and hanging out with them (or a particularly cool teacher) not because of school itself. They like socialization and school is the only way most kids get to socialize. Even if it is piss poor socialization.

In fact, socialization is one of the main arguments against homeschooling, but that usually comes from people who don't understand that healthier socialization is possible with homeschooling. Much healthier.
07-10-2014 08:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: xcriteria , SoulRiser , schoolsux , The man
Ky Offline
Shadow

Posts: 5,201
Joined: Aug 2012
Thanks: 1798
Given 1468 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
Post: #8
The Finnish Model

If we were to copy this model, it would not be possible for us to Finnish first. Get it? Get it? Ah, forget it.

Anyway, 20% is still a lot of school-averse students, and we do indeed have to keep in mind that the other 80% are being given the educational equivalent of bread and circuses so that they don't have to focus on the antiquity and inefficiency of the system. Only a few, I think, are truly happy.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
07-10-2014 02:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: xcriteria
Evan92 Offline
Revolutionary

Posts: 212
Joined: May 2014
Thanks: 22
Given 69 thank(s) in 42 post(s)
Post: #9
The Finnish Model

(07-10-2014 02:21 PM)DoA Wrote:  If we were to copy this model, it would not be possible for us to Finnish first. Get it? Get it? Ah, forget it.

Anyway, 20% is still a lot of school-averse students, and we do indeed have to keep in mind that the other 80% are being given the educational equivalent of bread and circuses so that they don't have to focus on the antiquity and inefficiency of the system. Only a few, I think, are truly happy.

That's begs another question, what system model, if any can truly please everyone?
07-10-2014 05:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ky Offline
Shadow

Posts: 5,201
Joined: Aug 2012
Thanks: 1798
Given 1468 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
Post: #10
The Finnish Model

The answer is multiple models. One size doesn't fit all.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
07-10-2014 05:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Evan92
Evan92 Offline
Revolutionary

Posts: 212
Joined: May 2014
Thanks: 22
Given 69 thank(s) in 42 post(s)
Post: #11
The Finnish Model

(07-10-2014 05:38 PM)DoA Wrote:  The answer is multiple models. One size doesn't fit all.
Yes that would be the ideal system but what is the realistic solution to the present? Believe me I would love nothing more than to dismantle the present indoctrination system but hold up a sec. The users on this site, most of them anyways are some very intelligent people. They are not the norm of what dwells within the halls of public schools. The counter argument would be if students were more engaged in a educational process more students be more apt to learning.

I think this is partially so, but you still will have a good chunk who will not give two shits either way. The best method would be to make those methods available to those who wish to pursue them and not forcing everyone down an alternate path.

(07-10-2014 07:54 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Aren't most Scandinavians depressed or suicidal?
Quite true actually from the studies I have read.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2014 05:50 PM by Evan92.)
07-10-2014 05:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
School Offline
Call me Raz

Posts: 51
Joined: Jul 2014
Thanks: 6
Given 41 thank(s) in 27 post(s)
Post: #12
The Finnish Model

Evan it's up to the parents. That is their job to work with their kids to find out which system their child enjoys and works best under. The problem these days is that, because of compulsory schooling, parents literally give up their jobs to the state, which is a terrible idea. Thus the state has perpetual customers and very little reason to adapt to the customers desires and instead provide a cheaper one size fits all.

Look at it like this, if everyone was forced to purchase Nintendo systems and games, Nintendo would have less incentive to be innovative and create quality games and more incentive to make easy to make cheap games for maximum profit. Since the law makes sure they don't have to worry about losing customers.

You can call me Raz

Current Game I'm Playing:
[Image: Eliwood_lord_sword_zps56a7be95.gif]
07-10-2014 08:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Posts: 3,090
Joined: Oct 2005
Thanks: 814
Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)
Post: #13
The Finnish Model

(07-10-2014 05:07 PM)Evan92 Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 02:21 PM)DoA Wrote:  Anyway, 20% is still a lot of school-averse students, and we do indeed have to keep in mind that the other 80% are being given the educational equivalent of bread and circuses so that they don't have to focus on the antiquity and inefficiency of the system. Only a few, I think, are truly happy.

That's begs another question, what system model, if any can truly please everyone?

I think the answer is an approach where people get to know each other a lot better than they currently tend to in most "systems."

If more of "professionals of the mind" (teachers, psychologies, counselors, forum moderators [!], etc.) learned how to better get to know people, how their minds work, and what their underlying needs/wants/preferences and interests are, it could go a long way.

Here's Paul Kim talking about the importance of "needs analysis" from the Designing a New Learning Environment MOOC I "took" in late 2012:



Watch on YouTube

That's a key part of what's called "design thinking," an approach to making things that better fit people's needs.

[Image: design_thinking_image2.gif]

If people in schools (or "learning communities" in general) were more focused on looking at needs/preferences/interests, opportunities, available resources, and just the story they're co-authoring, maybe it's less about what "system" is used, then letting "form follow function," as they say?

(07-10-2014 05:45 PM)Evan92 Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 05:38 PM)DoA Wrote:  The answer is multiple models. One size doesn't fit all.
Yes that would be the ideal system but what is the realistic solution to the present? Believe me I would love nothing more than to dismantle the present indoctrination system but hold up a sec. The users on this site, most of them anyways are some very intelligent people. They are not the norm of what dwells within the halls of public schools. The counter argument would be if students were more engaged in a educational process more students be more apt to learning.

Most people here are quite intelligent, and have a lot of potential... but how many of us are really engaged in a thriving process of active learning, creating, playing, and producing?

Even having discovered each other, having the tools to interact, and having access to more and more information and resources, I feel like we're not living a solution even for us, let alone being able to provide a replicable model for everyone.

I think if we changed that, maybe we could accomplish both purposes.

What would it take, for the overall tone to shift to "let's do things," instead of a focus on what's wrong, what we can't do, etc.

I think now is a good time to jumpstart that, especially since it's the summer.

As for "truly pleasing everyone," that's not always possible. But, there's the question of what "pleasing" means... and what people want in the first place. If we can step back from traditional assumptions, and look for "win-win-win" actions, a lot more becomes possible. The idea is to adopt an abundance mindset, but still recognize scarcity and constraints... but, be more conscious about choosing which constraints to anchor to, and set goals around.

(I'm sure I can explain what I have in mind better than that, but I'm tired... so hopefully that makes some sense.... and I wrote a bunch more, but I'm going to try adapting it into a new post, since it's all about the general purposes of education, and what kind of models to build based on that.)

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation


School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2014 11:19 PM by xcriteria.)
07-10-2014 11:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Posts: 1,151
Joined: Jun 2007
Thanks: 6
Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)
Post: #14
RE: The Finnish Model

(07-10-2014 05:07 PM)Evan92 Wrote:  
(07-10-2014 02:21 PM)DoA Wrote:  If we were to copy this model, it would not be possible for us to Finnish first. Get it? Get it? Ah, forget it.

Anyway, 20% is still a lot of school-averse students, and we do indeed have to keep in mind that the other 80% are being given the educational equivalent of bread and circuses so that they don't have to focus on the antiquity and inefficiency of the system. Only a few, I think, are truly happy.

That's begs another question, what system model, if any can truly please everyone?

That's like asking what size of clothing/shoes can fit everyone. If one-size-fits-all truly fit everybody, it would be the norm, wouldn't it? But a size 6 shoe isn't a good fit for either a size 8 foot or a size 4 foot. That's what different sizes are for.

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
04-04-2015 12:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Ky
Post Reply 


Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | School Survival | Return to Top | Return to Content | Mobile Version | RSS Syndication