RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
boredom
chained to desk Offline
Renegade

Given 88 thank(s) in 34 post(s)
boredom

Recently i've had a hard time really wanting to do anything...
Idk why, usually i always find something to do but more and more a day goes by and i am just really bored.

What do you guys do when you are bored?
07-09-2014 11:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rebag102 Offline
ARAISE

Given 22 thank(s) in 18 post(s)
boredom

Play video games and watch livestreams

Come and say hi to me here http://www.twitch.tv/rebag102/profile
07-09-2014 11:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
boredom

videogames, movies, books, wikipedia...

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
07-09-2014 11:33 AM
chained to desk Offline
Renegade

Given 88 thank(s) in 34 post(s)
boredom

Thanks guys, I just remembered this one game that
I liked to watch but forgot about for a bit.
07-09-2014 12:01 PM
Night Offline
Queen Mod

Given 372 thank(s) in 211 post(s)
RE: boredom

I play a game on my phone. when I'm in a particularly bored mood i start with the other team. Thing is this is largely a bad idea because i'm still new and they're all well established players.

They started attacking all my bases because i called their leader a dish rag..

Call someone a dish rag. It's fun.

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
07-09-2014 12:42 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)
boredom

Find something productive to do... find ways to go beyond your known world... reflect on the past and make sense of it... think about the future... meditate... create something... write... have a real conversation... pick up a past conversation...

Games, videos, and reading things all have their place... but these things can be huge time-sinks, and it's worth thinking about whether you're even going to remember, reflect on, or apply what you consume. Keeping a journal or log can help, especially if you reflect back from time to time... and so can explaining what you've learned or done to someone else.

Find ways to inspire yourself.

Connect in new ways...

Discover allies and other things that might help you later on your journey.

Above all, think about what really matters to you, and consider your priorities.

Most of us here take issue with how ineffective school-as-usual is at facilitating learning, providing meaningful challenges, and helping you develop as a person. Instead of sitting around bored, or focusing too much time on video games, consider what you might do to give yourself the things that school is failing to give you.

How will you earn a living in the future? What would you like to produce, or get better at? What might you want to be and do in the future, in general?

I'd say that boredom is a sign that something's missing in your life. If you step back and think about it, and even brainstorm, you can probably coming up with a lot of possible things to do. Once you do that, you'll have a better sense of possibilities.

One thing to at least push up against is the opposite of boredom: it's overwhelm. When you are overwhelmed with too much to do, too many possibilities, and too much to consider, you can then learn to step back, breathe, and realize you don't have to do it all.

You can be selective.

But, when your default state is boredom... and you're just looking for temporary boredom relief... you're likely not making the most of your potential.

Think about how your present scene, and sequence of scenes in your life might connect to the ones that follow... even years or decades later. Will you look back and say "what was I doing?" Or, will you say "that
was a good use of my time?"

There's certainly a place in life for just relaxing or having fun... but these things can be done in relatively low-quality, superficial ways, or much more substantial and fulfilling ways. Looking for the latter can lead you to much better ways of coping with boredom than reaching for the easiest apparent solution.

So, what would you like to do with yourself? Smile

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
07-09-2014 04:45 PM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
Ario Offline
Banned

Given 30 thank(s) in 7 post(s)
boredom

Typical day:
Wake up, realize I've slept for 11-13 hours, try to eat breakfast, end up not eating breakfast, brush teeth, try to read book, neck starts hurting so I go outside, "play" basketball, get bored of that, do chores, try to read book again, work out with the light 5kg weights even though they are weak as shit, could get better ones if I do 2 sets of 35 push-ups in front of my brother, do push-ups but only manage to do 13... in total, try to do pull-ups, still only manage to do 3, no improvement whatsoever, eat because am fat fuck, go to computer, get bored, watch my favorite TV show, see last three episodes of season, get sad even though the show isn't as good as it used to be, go running, fail, smash music player into the ground, be disappointed, go on 4chan, listen to favorite band's new album, realize album's theme is "live life to the fullest," cry, eat, take shower, see myself in mirror, brush teeth, go to bed wishing for no dreams.

tl;dr: Eat, Sleep, Feel, Repeat

I used to have hobbies that I now suck at, but getting new ones is even more difficult because of the barrier of entry and the money you have to invest, so I'm just left with pacing around in my room like a moron, waving my arms together.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2014 06:35 AM by Ario.)
07-10-2014 06:30 AM
NiteRaidah Offline
hmmm

Given 44 thank(s) in 31 post(s)
RE: boredom

I...I don't really do much.

I mean, I want to...really, I do...but getting past that "eh, I don't feel like it because of [excuses]" stage is a bitch and a half. It's like starting your run when you're stiff and feel like crap...your legs weight a ton each and it's a drag just to get going. And it's not as though the cork pops out and all these ideas come spilling out...some days that bottle's empty.

Metaphors/analogies aside, it's a process to shake that rust off. Sometimes I feel as though forcing myself to do something, be it some sort of learning or reading, is the solution...until it isn't. More often than not I get tired of what I'm trying to do, or there's just no doing, my interest level is just non-existent. Then other days, it's easy to get in a groove, get a nice productive thing going...and when I look up, all that time I was looking to kill is long gone.

Other times, I try to challenge myself...try "newish" things. Even minor things like taking a new route for my manly run, or trying my hand at Manual Labor. Even if the result isn't the desired one, hey, I got the boredom out of the way and can carry on with anything else. Maybe it'll lead to something new down the line. Who knows.

One of the traps I fall into when bored is to automatically go towards something I'm used to doing. Reading the same books I've read dozens of times over, trying the same physical activities that I've done dozens of times over. Not to say that doesn't work, but if it did, then why would I be bored in the first place?

I guess, at the end of the day, it's all a matter of just getting yourself going on something. Once you get over that first hump, it gets significantly easier...at least, for me. 'Course, it isn't very fun to get over that hump, but it's not very fun to be bored and aimless, either.

I should find some way to tattoo that last line onto my mind, somehow.....

"All these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-Prince

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
07-11-2014 12:13 PM