RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talk to your kids about drugs!
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
Talk to your kids about drugs!

Talk to your kids about drugs, and other likely phrases have recently came up in commercials again. With the campaign being lead by timetotalk.org Now these adds have always been around but this new campaign has brought my attention to the subject.

timetotalk.org and there add campaign urges parents to talk to their kids about the risk of drugs and alcohol as you already gathered from the title. The standard "Hey so and so family member you need to talk" Because apparently parents are being pussies and can't manage to muster the courage to talk to a child without the guidance of a website. Which is pretty pitiful, but thats besides my main point Im getting to.

If someone takes ritalin every day to manage his ADHD every day is it ok? Well sure he needs that. If someone buys ritalin from a dealer and uses it to get high is that ok? No, Because he's a drug user and is going to die etc etc. The thing is guess what, the person with ADHD (Which I don't personally believe is a real condition but bear with me) doesn't need the ritalin It's just a luxury to them. Another thing that makes life a little easier like bottled water or a cellphone. And obviously the person without ADHD that gets high off ritalin doesn't need it either, it's just their luxury to fell good and get high. Their in the same boat. Like it or not, even if one use is a little more justified it's a luxury for both of them.

But what about so and so person in the hospital that needs this so and so medicine to live? Well guess what. That medicine is a luxury to. Granted they need that luxury and can't live without it. I will leave this situation as the most highly justified use of a luxury.

But in todays society. Over the counter and on the shelf drugs aren't just used to save lives anymore. There used to stop your heartburn. Fix your aches and pains. Reduce your fever. Make you lose weight. Promise you better skin. Make your hair grow longer. Make your penis bigger and everything else you can think of. But when it comes down to it. There drugs. No more or no less drugs then anything you can buy off the street or abuse. When you use your luxury drugs and change things you don't like your fucking with nature. And in the long run it will fuck your body up. Not as much as the stuff that you buy from a dealer that the FDA wouldn't dare allow. But it will more likely then not.

But somehow if you get a man called a doctor to give you something over the counter in a bottle with a pretty name it's okay. Or a multi million dollar company with commercials on the television and multi colored tablet it's okay. But a guy called dealer giving you something rapped in a plastic bag is different? Yes. It is different in the fact that most drugs on the street are dangerous and that the stuff you get in nice packages is tested rigorously and is proven to be safe. (That is IF it's approved by the fda which thousands of common supplements and medicines are not, Just watch for commercials about law suit claims for so and so weight loss pill causes birth defects or so and so condition. ) But when you get down to it there all drugs. Crack cocaine and prilosec OTC are sure as hell different but thet both drugs.

So if you plan on "Talking to your kids about drugs!" Don't leave out the drugs you take every single day. And the risks they carry. And even if legal drugs these days aren't that dangerous compared to those illegal drugs. Don't leave a one sided warning about drugs for your kids.

Had to move on. Account is dead.
08-09-2010 09:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)
Re: Talk to your kids about drugs!

[Image: clap.gif]

This war on drugs is less about black and white and more about companies feeling threatened because people may be able to get drugs cheaper and easier from other sources.

As usual its bought the money bitches!

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
08-09-2010 10:45 AM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

I'd rather tell them about the risks, but let them know that drug dangers are typically blown way out of proportion, however it is easy to cause serious harm with them.
monkey Wrote:ADHD (Which I don't personally believe is a real condition but bear with me)
ADHD is certainly a real condition, it's just horribly overdiagnosed.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
08-09-2010 11:18 AM
Squittle Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

The Desert Fox Wrote:I'd rather tell them about the risks, but let them know that drug dangers are typically blown way out of proportion, however it is easy to cause serious harm with them.
This. I've noticed both sides of the discussion tend to either minimize or exaggerate the dangers of drug use, which makes it very hard for kids to get accurate information. Kids should be skeptical about the claims of either side, and understand that some drug use is warranted, while overuse is obviously dangerous.

Because I dig you, like Aussies dig pies, like Born-Agains dig Jesus, like Jesus dug guys.
08-09-2010 01:34 PM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m64cy1MMPg
08-09-2010 05:20 PM
Psychoqueen Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

As a person who takes several different types of medication each day, I think that people need to stop seeing drug issues in black and white. Getting drugs from a doctor doesn't suddenly elimate danger, and neither does getting them from a dealer mean that you are going to die or become diseased.

If my medication wasn't prescribed by a doctor, then I'm pretty sure I would be considered something along the lines of an addict.
08-11-2010 07:01 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Psychoqueen Wrote:As a person who takes several different types of medication each day, I think that people need to stop seeing drug issues in black and white. Getting drugs from a doctor doesn't suddenly elimate danger, and neither does getting them from a dealer mean that you are going to die or become diseased.

If my medication wasn't prescribed by a doctor, then I'm pretty sure I would be considered something along the lines of an addict.

Yeah but if they stopped then the medicine company would lose their monopoly and they can't let that happen. Rolleyes

image hosting jpg
08-12-2010 05:08 AM
Squittle Offline
Revolutionary

Given 4 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

HeartofShadows Wrote:Yeah but if they stopped then the medicine company would lose their monopoly and they can't let that happen. Rolleyes

YOU NO DISRESPECT HONORABLE CAPTIAN PFIZER. PFIZER GOOD TO CITIZEN. PFIZER LOVE COUNTRY. YOU QUESTION PFIZER, YOU GO TROO ME.

Because I dig you, like Aussies dig pies, like Born-Agains dig Jesus, like Jesus dug guys.
08-12-2010 05:25 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Squittle Wrote:
HeartofShadows Wrote:Yeah but if they stopped then the medicine company would lose their monopoly and they can't let that happen. Rolleyes

YOU NO DISRESPECT HONORABLE CAPTIAN PFIZER. PFIZER GOOD TO CITIZEN. PFIZER LOVE COUNTRY. YOU QUESTION PFIZER, YOU GO TROO ME.

Cool Story Bro!

image hosting jpg
08-12-2010 06:25 AM