RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Poll: What religion are you?
Christian
Atheist
Muslim
Pagan
Hindu
Buddhist
Jewish
Don't Know
Other
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion Thread
Cianna200 Offline
Pariah

Given 366 thank(s) in 210 post(s)
RE: Religion Thread

Lilith appears only once in the book of Isaiah.
06-21-2014 09:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
(´・ω・`) Offline
Pariah

Given 100 thank(s) in 72 post(s)
Religion Thread

But she is a prominent figure in Jewish mythology, directly tracing her origins to older polytheistic fables

Hidden stuff:

Quote:<sug> i dont think ive ever been an atheist
<sug> i worship the superplayer

Returned after years hiatus.
06-22-2014 04:59 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)
Religion Thread

Here's a good page on Hebrew mythology and a lot of interesting connections between it and modern Abrahamic religions: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Ma...wMythology

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
06-22-2014 06:41 AM
 Thanks given by: (´・ω・`)
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

Given 317 thank(s) in 184 post(s)

One interesting thought...

Hebrew is a big part of Judaism, because it's what the Torah was written in. Arabic is a big part of Islam, because the Qur'an was written in Arabic. The Bible was written in Greek and Hebrew. Why does Christianity not involve those two languages, or even Latin, what the Bible was first translated into?

Sub's Mental Log!
We've had a lot of fun, guys.
Fulltime Member, 2013-2014

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
08-20-2014 04:59 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Religion Thread

Good question... even in ninjutsu training, we use Japanese words and Japanese customs... so why not? Maybe because they wanted it to appeal to as many people from different cultures as possible? Shrug

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
08-21-2014 06:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vonunov Offline
Badgrr

Given 186 thank(s) in 126 post(s)

I would say atheism isn't a "religion", especially presented as a mutually exclusive choice with religions that aren't necessarily theistic. I'm an atheist (weak/negative) but I didn't choose that option as it has no actual religious implications. "Irreligious" might be a relevant choice but atheism seems not to say much about whether you're into any religion or similar thing, other than ruling out certain necessarily theistic ones. It's just one aspect that may or may not make up a total religious position.

Of course, looking at parts of the internet, some people sure try to make it a religion in its own right.

Hail Sagan.

Any LaVeyan Satanists? I do love hearing about that.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2014 07:31 AM by vonunov.)
08-21-2014 07:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NiteRaidah Offline
hmmm

Given 44 thank(s) in 31 post(s)
Religion Thread

No option for agnosticism outside of 'Other'? Much disappoint. ;_;

I guess that's what I would identify myself as these days, anyway. In all honesty, though, I don't really feel all that strongly one way or another re religion/lack of. I usually think that I hold strong convictions about things, but on this...well, perhaps not so much. I don't know. Wasn't raised in a religious household, never went to church. That might come across to some as irrelevant in terms of figuring out where you stand, but maybe not. As far as I can remember I've gone from radical atheist (or as much as one can be when you're like 9/10) to Buddhist/curious (I don't even know what went on there for a while) to some vague form of Christianity. I guess this is where I'll settle for now. :-P

"All these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-Prince

08-21-2014 10:52 AM
vonunov Offline
Badgrr

That also isn't a religion, and doesn't mean you're indifferent. That's one of my pet peeves, really, people saying that agnostics are just afraid to take up a position. They have: that we cannot know whether a god exists. This is a legitimate position in itself and can very well exist in the same person alongside negative atheism (lack of belief in a god as opposed to positive disbelief in a god). It's different from atheism, apatheism, and irreligiosity and is as valid as each. Not that you say it isn't, but now that we're on it, here it is. :>
08-21-2014 12:16 PM
NiteRaidah Offline
hmmm

Given 44 thank(s) in 31 post(s)
Religion Thread

Well, I know it isn't a religion, and my indifference I guess is towards whatever I would theoretically believe/not believe. Maybe there's a better or comparable word/phrase, like saying that one way or another it just isn't a huge part of my life, at least for now.

Probably missed the point, but wanted to get one thing in before I hit the sack.

"All these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-Prince

08-21-2014 01:12 PM
Username Offline
Drunkard

Given 228 thank(s) in 166 post(s)

I see the appeal in religion and wouldn't try to take it away from anyone, but I'd never, ever stand in line for it.

Quote:people saying that agnostics are just afraid to take up a position.

People really say that? Usually people just call me a lazy atheist when they hear that I am agnostic.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2014 09:47 PM by Username.)
08-21-2014 09:45 PM
vonunov Offline
Badgrr

Yeah. I've heard that mostly from Christians for some reason, though I've heard it from a few irreligious friends as well. They think agnostics are just wishy-washy, somehow reluctant to stake their belief in something. They think that agnosticism is some kind of cop-out middle ground between atheism and theism, and that it isn't a valid belief because you either believe or don't believe in a god. Sometimes I try to explain, but I've had limited success.
08-22-2014 01:47 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
Religion Thread

I don't get the agnostic hate. For one, it's the most rational not to take a position in terms of religion, which many atheists (and antitheists) really don't seem to get. Another thing is that I would have considered myself this before I recognized God's existence. (Such a weird thing to say, really. "Oh, hey, Creator of the Universe, I would like to inform You that You exist. Congratulations.")

Seriously, props to the people who admit they don't know, even if it is because they don't care (though that would be apatheism, which is similar but different.)

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
08-22-2014 02:40 AM
Username Offline
Drunkard

(08-22-2014 02:40 AM)DoA Wrote:  ...even if it is because they don't care (though that would be apatheism, which is similar but different.)

That term would even suit me better but its easier to just to say agnostic in most cases.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2014 04:17 AM by Username.)
08-22-2014 04:15 AM
Alistoriv Offline
Sanity Not Included

Given 169 thank(s) in 114 post(s)
Religion Thread

I love it when people call Atheism a religion. "They believe that god doesn't exist!"
That's called Antitheism or Strong Atheism. The a-prefix implies "without" or "not". Atheists aren't denying the existence of a supreme being, they simply have no beliefs regarding a god.

RIP GORE GOROTH
RIP SAINTVICIOUS
(03-20-2013 05:08 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Stand up with pride and say "No! I will not be a McDonalds employee. I WILL BE A GARBAGE MAN!"

08-22-2014 11:09 AM
 Thanks given by: Gwedin
vonunov Offline
Badgrr

Yeah. This tends to be hard to explain a lot of the time because of the way it's laid out in English. "I believe there is no god" and "I don't believe there is a god" sound like exactly the same thing to a lot of people, especially with the prevalence of negative raising.
08-22-2014 12:33 PM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

Given 244 thank(s) in 167 post(s)

(08-22-2014 11:09 AM)Alistoriv Wrote:  I love it when people call Atheism a religion. "They believe that god doesn't exist!"
That's called Antitheism or Strong Atheism. The a-prefix implies "without" or "not". Atheists aren't denying the existence of a supreme being, they simply have no beliefs regarding a god.

So 99% of athiests are actually antithiests?

City YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/kfcnyancat
City Tumblr: http://kfcnyancat.tumblr.com (no longer operational due to personal issues)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" - Donald Rumsfeld

For anyone who remembers me going on an archive binge: Thank you all. I know I ended it being a drama queen, I don't really agree with the ideology anymore, and I'm really not the same person I was (I went through a neopagan phase!) but still this site was the first online community I was in. I graduated from school and turned 18. Time flies. KFC Nyan Cat, June 20, 2019.
08-24-2014 04:06 AM
Username Offline
Drunkard

(08-24-2014 04:06 AM)KFC Nyan Cat Wrote:  So 99% of athiests are actually antithiests?

dat ridiculously made up statistic
08-24-2014 04:27 AM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

Given 244 thank(s) in 167 post(s)

(08-24-2014 04:27 AM)Username Wrote:  
(08-24-2014 04:06 AM)KFC Nyan Cat Wrote:  So 99% of athiests are actually antithiests?

dat ridiculously made up statistic

Take a fucking joke.

City YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/kfcnyancat
City Tumblr: http://kfcnyancat.tumblr.com (no longer operational due to personal issues)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" - Donald Rumsfeld

For anyone who remembers me going on an archive binge: Thank you all. I know I ended it being a drama queen, I don't really agree with the ideology anymore, and I'm really not the same person I was (I went through a neopagan phase!) but still this site was the first online community I was in. I graduated from school and turned 18. Time flies. KFC Nyan Cat, June 20, 2019.
08-24-2014 06:12 AM
Alistoriv Offline
Sanity Not Included

Given 169 thank(s) in 114 post(s)
Religion Thread

When you say something semi-sarcastically that seems like it's supposed to be taken semi-seriously, it's not a joke

EDIT: knock knock

RIP GORE GOROTH
RIP SAINTVICIOUS
(03-20-2013 05:08 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Stand up with pride and say "No! I will not be a McDonalds employee. I WILL BE A GARBAGE MAN!"

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2014 12:17 PM by Alistoriv.)
08-24-2014 12:16 PM
SwiftEscudo Offline
Actually Duelix

Given 102 thank(s) in 57 post(s)
Religion Thread

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion

RIP GORE GOROTH
RIP SAINTVICIOUS
[Image: fuckinghell_zpsb0150fd5.png]
08-24-2014 07:12 PM
Username Offline
Drunkard

(08-24-2014 06:12 AM)KFC Nyan Cat Wrote:  Take a fucking joke.

?

Ali said it all and did it better than I would have.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2014 04:09 AM by Username.)
08-25-2014 04:08 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Yet another religion thread LOON_ATTIC 4 2,464 05-04-2011 06:33 AM
Last Post: .Manicrose.