RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8-Bit Philosophy
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)
8-Bit Philosophy

This new YouTube series on philosophy is pretty damn awesome:

Watch on YouTube

Watch on YouTube

Watch on YouTube

Watch on YouTube

And, do you any of you have some cool philosophy vids to share?

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
05-26-2014 04:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Ky , l1qu1d
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
8-Bit Philosophy

It took me just over ten minutes to process these four episodes that were worth several weeks' worth of study in my Philosophy & Ethics class.

I'm particularly fond of the content in the first episode. Nice find.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
05-27-2014 12:45 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)
RE: 8-Bit Philosophy

I still think Descartes "I think, therefore I am" is a (and the only) capital T Truth.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
05-27-2014 01:59 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

8-Bit Philosophy

That's assuming existence is entirely objective - if it is, then it cannot be called into question: the one existing must exist if it is able to ponder its existence. Therein lies the problem, though; if it isn't...

05-27-2014 02:17 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

We may not exist in this form but you but you can't have a thought without existing in some form. You could a be a millionth of a computer pixel or a fleeting microsecond from a cat's dream. Everything else may be an illusion but the ability to consider that can't be. Something can't come from nothing.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Universe_from_Nothing

I haven't read this yet. And ultimaty whether it's the universe or God or God's creator or so on either something existed forever or something appeared from nothing so... Hmmm...

Captain Beefheart
05-27-2014 03:17 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

8-Bit Philosophy

How do you know something can't come from nothing? Surely it cannot be a capital T Truth.

05-27-2014 03:33 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Yeah

The 2nd half of that post was meant to be an acknowledgment of the fact that I don't know. For I long time I thought Descartes really nailed it but it's been a long time since I've thought about it and now I'm suddenly reconsidering. One thing is for sure, a seemingly impossible paradox is afoot. Our minds can't handle the truth.

Captain Beefheart
05-27-2014 03:57 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

8-Bit Philosophy

Our minds cannot comprehend a rational explanation of the truth, in any case. Indeed, there are alternatives to logic and science - as pointed out in the Nietzsche video, they do a good job of explaining how something is, but simply cannot answer why.

05-27-2014 04:02 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Have you read The Tao of Physics?

Captain Beefheart
05-27-2014 04:10 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

8-Bit Philosophy

I don't think Descartes's idea is without merit. I think it goes a long way towards demonstrating, a priori, the self-evident fact that we exist. Even the evil wizard thought experiment presupposes the existence of your mind (in some form) to put false notions into it.

But why do we exist? Well, that's a different question.

05-27-2014 04:20 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

8-Bit Philosophy

Philosophy is a lot greater than the musings of any one philosopher. Descartes' idea does have merit; not the iconic quote "I think therefore I am", but the existential question that stems from that: How do we know that to be really true? Could reality, or even our own existence, be a dream of some kind?

05-27-2014 06:06 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
8-Bit Philosophy

Cogito ergo sum

/thread

I don't bother really thinking about my own existence. Logically and practically thinking, there is absolutely no benefit to be gained from figuring out whether you exist physically or whether we're in the matrix. I have more pressing questions to answer ya know...

Plus regardless of whether we exist or not, if I stab myself, it's gonna hurt. Chocolate cake tastes damn good and sex will feel good(unless you try it with a tree or something).

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
05-27-2014 07:07 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(05-27-2014 07:07 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Cogito ergo sum

Cannot be proven. Pay attention to what we've been saying.

05-27-2014 07:57 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
8-Bit Philosophy

If it can't be proven why are we spending so much time on it?

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
05-27-2014 09:26 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

8-Bit Philosophy

For something to think, it must first exist to think. We have to, in some form, exist. Even if we're just a magic trick of an evil wizard. It makes no logical sense to say thinking can happen without a thinker. So, we exist. I think that pretty much proves it.

05-27-2014 01:34 PM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 31 thank(s) in 18 post(s)
8-Bit Philosophy

Yeah in order for the evil magician(as the video put it) to be able to control something it must exist in some way, shape, or form. And it must exist somewhere. Because if the thing doesn't exist then it can't be controlled due to the fact that there would be nothing to control.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

05-27-2014 05:19 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

8-Bit Philosophy

That would be assuming that existence is entirely objective; in being so, it would be binary (you either exist or you don't), and it would be immutable (if you exist, you exist, no question about it).

What if existence were a subjective experience? What if there were multiple levels of existence (for instance, non-existence, plain existence, and self-aware existence), and it were possible to both exist and not exist (for instance, as in a dream or an illusion)? For something to think (or pretend to think), it would have to at least have the illusion of existence. But what if it doesn't exist to the degree it "thinks" it does? What if this thing is a person telling you not to wake up from your dream, lest it die forever?

Okay, brain hurts. Maybe we should stop talking about this.

05-28-2014 03:10 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

8-Bit Philosophy

Even if you exist as an illusion or a dream, you exist in some form that has its own awareness. So yes, it is possibly we don't exist to the "degree" we think we exist, but I don't think there's any way to argue we don't exist. Or, that I don't exist. The rest of you could be illusions. Razz But even if you're an illusion, you still exist as an illusion, maybe even some sort of aware illusion that is under the illusion it exists as a flesh-and-blood being,

05-28-2014 03:56 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

8-Bit Philosophy

Perhaps. So perhaps it's not the statement "I think, therefore I am", but the question "I think, therefore I am what, exactly?"

05-28-2014 03:57 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

8-Bit Philosophy

DoA is Descartes II.

05-28-2014 03:58 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 31 thank(s) in 18 post(s)
8-Bit Philosophy

Technically speaking, the phrase, "I think therefor I am" is correct, however how we exist exactly is unknown, along with what we are.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

05-28-2014 04:46 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sith Philosophy (´・ω・`) 1 1,884 06-25-2014 07:32 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  A couple of Philosophy questions? LiptomaticMate 34 14,684 12-21-2012 12:11 PM
Last Post: Ky
  My Own Philosophy: A Rambling thewake 8 4,472 04-02-2012 07:22 AM
Last Post: thewake
  The Winner/Loser Philosophy (Parts 1-2) Asder Miller 17 11,994 01-18-2012 01:10 PM
Last Post: Stadium
  why is FLE taught in school but not philosophy? khoi12 13 3,737 01-18-2010 07:35 AM
Last Post: Loxor
  My life philosophy. Incollegenow 2 2,043 06-28-2009 04:11 AM
Last Post: Incollegenow