RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reddit
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 31 thank(s) in 18 post(s)
Reddit

Reddit is kinda awesome, I finally got around to using my account that I made several years ago. :/

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
05-12-2014 09:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

Given 244 thank(s) in 167 post(s)
Reddit

I hear it's 4Chan minus the copious amount of pedos, pervs, murderers, and R34. Is that true?

City YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/kfcnyancat
City Tumblr: http://kfcnyancat.tumblr.com (no longer operational due to personal issues)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" - Donald Rumsfeld

For anyone who remembers me going on an archive binge: Thank you all. I know I ended it being a drama queen, I don't really agree with the ideology anymore, and I'm really not the same person I was (I went through a neopagan phase!) but still this site was the first online community I was in. I graduated from school and turned 18. Time flies. KFC Nyan Cat, June 20, 2019.
05-12-2014 10:18 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Reddit

Depends on where you go. There are a bunch of assholes(ex: The moderators of /r/minecraft) but other than that I see no similarity. However keep in mind that reddit consists of it's own areas, called subreddits, that users create and moderate themselves, so that might be the case in some areas but not all.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

05-12-2014 10:26 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
Reddit

I've found Reddit pretty decent. Lots of interesting stuff in the serious topics, and the non-serious topics are still amusing without the troll immature stupidity being very prevalent.

It's like real raw information you can easily access.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
05-12-2014 12:04 PM
 Thanks given by: Trar , Ky
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Given 340 thank(s) in 182 post(s)
Reddit

I hate the vote system. I had to download an extension for Chrome in order to browse the site without seeing votes.

RIP GORE GOROTH

He was an hero. He will always be remembered.
05-12-2014 12:16 PM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Reddit

I actually like it. Lets you see more quality things.

Edit: That and things that the Reddit Hivemind likes

05-12-2014 12:55 PM
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Given 340 thank(s) in 182 post(s)
Reddit

The problem with votes is that it heavily influences what people say, even otherwise very intelligent people. People will often alter their message because they're seeking approval with upvotes.

The vote system is completely cancer when it comes to comments. It's completely cancer for a lot of front page material (the threads themselves). It's better on well moderated boards and smaller boards, but the voting system still fucks up comments, even in small subreddits.

Browse Reddit enough, and you will eventually see this problem. Quality on Reddit often means what everyone else agrees with. Often if you have an unpopular opinion, despite being well-written, you will get downvoted. Even simply questioning a popular opinion will get you downvoted.

If you browse Reddit, you should keep this flaw in mind when you read and post. Don't just read the upvoted things, and if you do, actively try to find errors in thinking and false "facts".

Oh and btw, A LOT of people on Reddit just make shit up and pretend to be things they aren't to simply get approval with upvotes or win arguments. Don't take ANYTHING seriously on some of the shittier subs. You'll figure out the shit subs from the good ones quickly. You'll be surprised at the lengths people go to make shit up that sounds true, but it's all complete nonsense.

Reddiquette is a pipe-dream, and hardly anyone practices it because we're all human and bound by the flaws of human psychology.

upvotes does not necessarily mean quality.

There's many alternatives and different kinds of communities, and they all have their various flaws. I'm pointing out Reddit's flaw.

RIP GORE GOROTH

He was an hero. He will always be remembered.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 01:08 PM by Desu.)
05-12-2014 01:08 PM
 Thanks given by: Trar , vonunov , Sociopath
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Reddit

Obviously there's many things on the web that should be taken very lightly, but it's not often you find places that will discuss certain things without beating around the bush.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
05-12-2014 01:15 PM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

Given 109 thank(s) in 93 post(s)
RE: Reddit

(05-12-2014 01:08 PM)Desu Wrote:  The problem with votes is that it heavily influences what people say, even otherwise very intelligent people. People will often alter their message because they're seeking approval with upvotes.

The vote system is completely cancer when it comes to comments. It's completely cancer for a lot of front page material (the threads themselves). It's better on well moderated boards and smaller boards, but the voting system still fucks up comments, even in small subreddits.

Browse Reddit enough, and you will eventually see this problem. Quality on Reddit often means what everyone else agrees with. Often if you have an unpopular opinion, despite being well-written, you will get downvoted. Even simply questioning a popular opinion will get you downvoted.

If you browse Reddit, you should keep this flaw in mind when you read and post. Don't just read the upvoted things, and if you do, actively try to find errors in thinking and false "facts".

Oh and btw, A LOT of people on Reddit just make shit up and pretend to be things they aren't to simply get approval with upvotes or win arguments. Don't take ANYTHING seriously on some of the shittier subs. You'll figure out the shit subs from the good ones quickly. You'll be surprised at the lengths people go to make shit up that sounds true, but it's all complete nonsense.

Reddiquette is a pipe-dream, and hardly anyone practices it because we're all human and bound by the flaws of human psychology.

upvotes does not necessarily mean quality.

There's many alternatives and different kinds of communities, and they all have their various flaws. I'm pointing out Reddit's flaw.

If you want higher quality, then don't subscribe to /r/funny

I personally like the upvoting and downvoting, it means that you can go to a sub and sort by highest votes of all time and see some awesome stuff.

The less you try to control things, the less you need to.

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

"Bodies fucking fuck."~Night.Artist

[Image: 41433.png][Image: 14362714_1336391025.png]

Hidden stuff:
[Image: asschart.jpg]
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

Thanks for the diploma… can I have my childhood back?

I’d love to have a battle of wits with you… but I hate to fight the unarmed.
05-13-2014 04:13 AM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

(05-12-2014 10:26 AM)Chanku Wrote:  Depends on where you go. There are a bunch of assholes(ex: The moderators of /r/minecraft) but other than that I see no similarity. However keep in mind that reddit consists of it's own areas, called subreddits, that users create and moderate themselves, so that might be the case in some areas but not all.

Does /r/minecraft have any ties with Planet Minecraft (besides being Minecraft related?) Planet Minecraft is full of asshole moderators, and everyone worships the damn moderators, and the site is essentially a cluster of groupthink of what the DAMN MODERATORS think. Does /r/minecraft sound anything like that.

I was aware that Reddit is cut-up into subreddits, but I didn't know they were created by users. Would it be against the rules to create a new Minecraft subreddit to combat the asshole moderaters (something like /r/betterminecraftsubreddit?)

City Tumblr: http://kfcnyancat.tumblr.com (no longer operational due to personal issues)

For anyone who remembers me going on an archive binge: Thank you all. I know I ended it being a drama queen, I don't really agree with the ideology anymore, and I'm really not the same person I was (I went through a neopagan phase!) but still this site was the first online community I was in. I graduated from school and turned 18. Time flies. KFC Nyan Cat, June 20, 2019.
05-13-2014 08:09 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
Reddit

/r/skyrim isn't that bad. I love reading the posts and comments there.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
05-13-2014 08:13 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Reddit

(05-13-2014 08:09 AM)KFC Nyan Cat Wrote:  
(05-12-2014 10:26 AM)Chanku Wrote:  Depends on where you go. There are a bunch of assholes(ex: The moderators of /r/minecraft) but other than that I see no similarity. However keep in mind that reddit consists of it's own areas, called subreddits, that users create and moderate themselves, so that might be the case in some areas but not all.

Does /r/minecraft have any ties with Planet Minecraft (besides being Minecraft related?) Planet Minecraft is full of asshole moderators, and everyone worships the damn moderators, and the site is essentially a cluster of groupthink of what the DAMN MODERATORS think. Does /r/minecraft sound anything like that.

I was aware that Reddit is cut-up into subreddits, but I didn't know they were created by users. Would it be against the rules to create a new Minecraft subreddit to combat the asshole moderaters (something like /r/betterminecraftsubreddit?)
1) It's not as bad as PMC, but I do think most of the moderator team are dicks.
2) No, in fact it's somewhat encouraged to an extent, if moderators are being dickbags, then people will make a new one and then if people like it, it will catch on. there is also /r/trueminecraft which is another MC subreddit although against the /r/minecraft moderators IIRC.

05-13-2014 09:07 AM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

(05-13-2014 09:07 AM)Chanku Wrote:  
(05-13-2014 08:09 AM)KFC Nyan Cat Wrote:  

1) It's not as bad as PMC, but I do think most of the moderator team are dicks.
2) No, in fact it's somewhat encouraged to an extent, if moderators are being dickbags, then people will make a new one and then if people like it, it will catch on. there is also /r/trueminecraft which is another MC subreddit although against the /r/minecraft moderators IIRC.

LOL, I'm not he only person who hates that putrid website?

I'm gonna join Reddit tomorrow.

05-13-2014 11:36 AM
vonunov Offline
Badgrr

Given 186 thank(s) in 126 post(s)

Reddit voting is badly broken. The significance of an upvote falls drastically as time from posting increases, so bite-sized, easily understood content like cat photos and image macros shoots to the top while in-depth content that takes people longer to finish and then vote on never gains nearly as high a position, even from the same number of votes, because they mean less by the time they're put in.

Also downvote brigading used to be super effective:

http://technotes.iangreenleaf.com/posts/...rithm.html

http://www.outofscope.com/reddits-empire...algorithm/
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 07:43 AM by vonunov.)
05-13-2014 11:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Trar , Desu , Sociopath
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

Reddit

Only thing I don't like is the one-comment-per-10-minutes thing.

05-22-2014 07:06 AM
 Thanks given by: Sociopath
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Reddit

(05-22-2014 07:06 AM)KFC Nyan Cat Wrote:  Only thing I don't like is the one-comment-per-10-minutes thing.

I've never had that problem

05-22-2014 07:10 AM
Alistoriv Offline
Sanity Not Included

Given 169 thank(s) in 114 post(s)
Reddit

Fuck Reddit
Seriously, fucking cancer.

RIP GORE GOROTH
RIP SAINTVICIOUS
(03-20-2013 05:08 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Stand up with pride and say "No! I will not be a McDonalds employee. I WILL BE A GARBAGE MAN!"

05-24-2014 12:38 PM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

I like reddit.

I think that in being somewhat anonymous and allowing for more than a bit of self-indulgence. It brings out the best in people.

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
05-25-2014 06:10 PM
 Thanks given by: Trar
Alistoriv Offline
Sanity Not Included

Given 169 thank(s) in 114 post(s)
Reddit

To be a bit more specific, fuck the main part of reddit. All of the main subreddits are shit and reddit for the most part is shit. There are, however, smaller subreddits that are good. /r/Dota2 is pretty much the only reason I still have a reddit app.

RIP GORE GOROTH
RIP SAINTVICIOUS
(03-20-2013 05:08 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Stand up with pride and say "No! I will not be a McDonalds employee. I WILL BE A GARBAGE MAN!"

(This post was last modified: 05-26-2014 01:00 PM by Alistoriv.)
05-26-2014 01:00 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Reddit

I dive in and out when it comes to reddit. It depends on how interested I am and what the topic is.

Of course I only go through the first 5 pages. After that I've probably lost my interest.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
05-26-2014 01:27 PM
Trar Away
R.I.P.

Given 189 thank(s) in 125 post(s)
Reddit

Reddit is hit and miss. There's obviously good posts and good users; the more popular subreddits in my experience are fairly decent as well, if not quite in depth/my thing. I'm also not disagreeing with vonuvov's observation of the voting system. And, of course, there's the shitty subreddits like the former r/jailbait, r/RedPill, and others I can't remember tight now.
05-27-2014 05:24 PM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Reddit

actually I think r/jailbait was taken down o. I read that on Wikipedia when doing some research on Reddit.

05-27-2014 05:46 PM
Trar Away
R.I.P.

Given 189 thank(s) in 125 post(s)

(05-27-2014 05:24 PM)Trar Wrote:  the former r/jailbait

Eh, maybe I could have worded it better.
05-27-2014 06:08 PM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Reddit

Sorry I'm tired....my mind skipped over the former part...heh...sorry

05-27-2014 06:11 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Reddit

redpill was an awful read. Entertaining...but awful.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
05-28-2014 07:53 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ageism on reddit!!!!!! MoFuckinBananas 25 6,604 05-08-2017 07:44 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  How to get into Reddit Chanku 5 2,096 05-28-2014 04:36 PM
Last Post: Heil_Kaiba8921
  Reddit Heil_Kaiba8921 11 3,843 01-13-2014 01:35 PM
Last Post: Falsalm
  TAA describes people on reddit. Also resembles SS too. gore goroth 16 7,525 02-09-2012 04:15 AM
Last Post: Levio_Sah
  Meanwhile on reddit... gore goroth 6 2,688 02-01-2012 09:05 AM
Last Post: Efs