RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Connected Learning Infographic
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

What is Connected Learning?

"There is wide agreement that we need new models of education, and not simply new models of schooling, but entirely new visions of learning better suited to the increasing complexity, connectivity, and velocity of our new knowledge society. We now have the capability to reimagine where, when, and how learning takes place. This six-part short film series by Nic Askew speaks to that need for a connected learning vision: learning that is powerful, relevant, and engaging."

(See the link above and scroll down for the videos.)

[Image: DG_Macarthur_r03-960_0.jpeg?itok=-lfe4eUy]

This often takes the form of Personal Learning Networks (PLNs), and what are called "connectivist MOOCs" (or cMOOCs, vs. so-called xMOOCs like Coursera that are like scaled traditional courses.)

If you haven't heard of MOOCs, they are Massively Open Online Courses. There have been a range of variations on that term (some aren't so massive... others are more like communities than courses.)

I'm looking to really bring these concepts to life over the summer, especially as the networks of people I (and various others from here) are connecting with in the broader world of transforming education. Things are happening so fast...

What are your thoughts and experiences on connected learning.... learning beyond classrooms, and beyond just watching/viewing learning content?

And what would you like to see?

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2014 09:52 PM by xcriteria.)
05-10-2014 09:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)
RE: Connected Learning Infographic

I don't know if I should respect you for trying to offer solutions or disrespect you for always coming off like you got something to sell.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
05-10-2014 11:29 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(05-10-2014 11:29 PM)TheCancer Wrote:  I don't know if I should respect you for trying to offer solutions or disrespect you for always coming off like you got something to sell.

Hmm... well, I am trying to sell the idea that there are solutions, and that it's worth taking the time to look for them. Smile

Do you have suggestions for a different way to come across, or find a way to solutions?

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog

Hidden stuff:
05-10-2014 11:47 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

At this point, the only thing worth being dogmatic about is that nothing should be compulsory. I don't think it's time for improvement; I think it's time for deconstruction.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
05-11-2014 12:15 AM
 Thanks given by: Ky
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1468 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

Indeed. There's a reason why I campaign for the separation of school and state. While this concept of connected learning is slowly coming into play, I don't think it can be fully realized until the current system has been deconstructed.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
05-11-2014 12:53 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

I agree that "improvement" by itself isn't enough, at least within school-as-people-know it.

Many people can and do opt out of school... whether dropping out, homeschool/unschooling, or being truant. And many others would if they were offered a viable alternative.

So, why not explore, discuss, and try approaches to learning and teaching that those who dislike school-as-usual would like?

Quite a few people agree on the need to transform "factory-model" classroom management into an approach to learning that involves teachers/mentors/guides getting to know individual learners, and helping them explore interests, learn life-relevant things, and discover what life can consist of.

And... I realize I'm coming across as trying to sell that kind of thing. I think there's something to it.

But, neutrally, I'm interested in understanding what's actually happening and what actually works.

On that note, do you think there's anything to all that? Or there's literally nothing that can be done for learners who don't like school-as-usaul?

Hidden stuff:
05-11-2014 01:08 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Learning Creative Learning 2 (LCL2) - MIT open course xcriteria 5 8,257 03-14-2014 08:06 AM
Last Post: xcriteria