RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the Subject of Pokemon
Illuzion Offline
Christoph

Given 42 thank(s) in 21 post(s)

OH MY FUCKING GOD HOENN REMAKES HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED AND I'M SO FUCKING EXCITED BECAUSE I GREW UP PLAYING RUBY ON MY GAMEBOY SP!!! I'M GOING TO GO REPLAY RUBY NOW AND CELEBRATE!!! THIS IS THE BEST SICK DAY EVER!!!

-Christoph

Have your regrets, but always stay strong from yours truly, Illuzion.
05-08-2014 07:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

What? Hoenn remakes? Where? Where did you hear about this? I have to see this for myself!

...Oh wait, shit. I don't have a 3DS.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
05-08-2014 08:29 AM
Illuzion Offline
Christoph

RE: On the Subject of Pokemon

(05-08-2014 08:29 AM)DoA Wrote:  What? Hoenn remakes? Where? Where did you hear about this? I have to see this for myself!

...Oh wait, shit. I don't have a 3DS.
I suggest investing in one.

05-08-2014 08:47 AM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

Given 244 thank(s) in 167 post(s)

YEAH HOENN! X WAS MY 1ST POKEMON GAME BUT YEAH HOENN!

City YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/kfcnyancat
City Tumblr: http://kfcnyancat.tumblr.com (no longer operational due to personal issues)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" - Donald Rumsfeld

For anyone who remembers me going on an archive binge: Thank you all. I know I ended it being a drama queen, I don't really agree with the ideology anymore, and I'm really not the same person I was (I went through a neopagan phase!) but still this site was the first online community I was in. I graduated from school and turned 18. Time flies. KFC Nyan Cat, June 20, 2019.
05-08-2014 10:28 AM
NiteRaidah Offline
hmmm

Given 44 thank(s) in 31 post(s)

I wish they'd remake Yellow. :(

I didn't think they were going to re-do the Gen III stuff, so this is a nice surprise. Might be worth investing in a 3DS/the past 2 'mon generations (once funds get more...existent).
05-08-2014 10:32 AM
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)

I have yet to understand the appeal of pokemon.

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
05-08-2014 10:33 AM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

(05-08-2014 10:33 AM)no Wrote:  I have yet to understand the appeal of pokemon.

You catch creatures and make them fight so you can level up said creatures and catch more creatures. You do this to win championships and defeat badguys by using the aforementioned creatures to battle their creatures. All this may sound heartless, but it feels a bit less heartless when you consider the Friendship system introduced in Pokemon Gold and Silver, as well as the Pokemon Amore system introduced in Pokemon X and Y.

Pokemon isn't for everybody; Some may not like it; others might just play it when they are bored; and if you are like me, you get attached to your Pokemon (yep, I'm a creeper.)

City Tumblr: http://kfcnyancat.tumblr.com (no longer operational due to personal issues)

For anyone who remembers me going on an archive binge: Thank you all. I know I ended it being a drama queen, I don't really agree with the ideology anymore, and I'm really not the same person I was (I went through a neopagan phase!) but still this site was the first online community I was in. I graduated from school and turned 18. Time flies. KFC Nyan Cat, June 20, 2019.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2014 11:00 AM by KFC Nyan Cat.)
05-08-2014 10:57 AM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

(05-08-2014 10:32 AM)NiteRaidah Wrote:  I wish they'd remake Yellow. :(

Nah, Yellow wasn't much more than Red and Blue with Pikachu as your starter, and all G1 Pokemon.

05-08-2014 10:58 AM
Illuzion Offline
Christoph

I suggest you play it.

05-08-2014 12:09 PM
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)

(05-08-2014 12:09 PM)Illuzion Wrote:  
I suggest you play it.

I played the old Pokemon Crater in the fourth grade, but I didn't really like it, I was pseudo addicted I guess... (pseudo because I could get by fine without it, and realized it was stupid, but played anyway.) When a new version was created I didn't touch it...

I also played the card game a bit, but always with someone else's deck. I didn't exactly get it that the point was to buy a bazillion cards and only use a few of them. Several years later I did realize it and was rather disgusted by the moneygrubbyness of the whole affair, and so decided to promptly forget all the rules.

Beyond that I can't tell the difference between the different pokemon games in much the same way I can't tell the difference between the different mario games. (Though I never much cared for handhelds.) I guess I'm just horribly prejudiced against nintendo and should be burned at the stake for daring to have any game-designing ambitions with such an outlook.

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
05-08-2014 12:27 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Crater? Card game? You've been dabbling in the spin-offs without touching the main series of games.

In order of generations, from oldest to newest, the main games are as follows:
1. Red/Blue/Yellow (GB/GBC, the originals, crappy graphics, 150 available Pokemon - Yellow is the special edition, in which you start with a voiced Pikachu that follows you around)
2. Gold/Silver/Crystal (GBC, intended to be the last main series games, actual color graphics, 251 available Pokemon - Crystal is the special edition, in which you can select a female protagonist for the first time)
3. Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and FireRed/LeafGreen (GBA, all with decent (Crater-style?) graphics, 386 available Pokemon - FR and LG are remakes of R/B/Y)
4. Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and HeartGold/SoulSilver (NDS, all with blah graphics, 493 available Pokemon - HG and SS are remakes of G/S/C)
5. Black/White and Black/White 2 (NDS, all incredible graphics, 649 available Pokemon - probably the best all around in the series)
6. X and Y (and R/S/E remakes in the future) (3DS, all uncanny valley 3D graphics, an ungodly number of Pokemon, getting pretty crazy)

Generations 3, 4, and 5 were released from 2002 to 2012, and in my opinion are the best games in the series. (1 and 2 are too dated, but have a large following, and 6 has gone a bit crazy with changes) I recommend Emerald, Platinum, and Black/White 2 above all.

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2014 03:48 AM by Ky.)
05-09-2014 03:46 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 31 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

I started with Yellow, and I have a red cartridge laying around somewhere. I've played the main games, almost in order, with me skipping Gen 4, and Gen 6.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
05-09-2014 06:54 AM
Illuzion Offline
Christoph

(05-08-2014 12:27 PM)no Wrote:  
(05-08-2014 12:09 PM)Illuzion Wrote:  
I suggest you play it.

I played the old Pokemon Crater in the fourth grade, but I didn't really like it, I was pseudo addicted I guess... (pseudo because I could get by fine without it, and realized it was stupid, but played anyway.) When a new version was created I didn't touch it...

I also played the card game a bit, but always with someone else's deck. I didn't exactly get it that the point was to buy a bazillion cards and only use a few of them. Several years later I did realize it and was rather disgusted by the moneygrubbyness of the whole affair, and so decided to promptly forget all the rules.

Beyond that I can't tell the difference between the different pokemon games in much the same way I can't tell the difference between the different mario games. (Though I never much cared for handhelds.) I guess I'm just horribly prejudiced against nintendo and should be burned at the stake for daring to have any game-designing ambitions with such an outlook.
Prejudice and assumptions make us assholes mmkay? I meant play main series games not the online stuff.

05-09-2014 08:47 AM
Illuzion Offline
Christoph

(05-09-2014 03:46 AM)DoA Wrote:  Crater? Card game? You've been dabbling in the spin-offs without touching the main series of games.

In order of generations, from oldest to newest, the main games are as follows:
1. Red/Blue/Yellow (GB/GBC, the originals, crappy graphics, 150 available Pokemon - Yellow is the special edition, in which you start with a voiced Pikachu that follows you around)
2. Gold/Silver/Crystal (GBC, intended to be the last main series games, actual color graphics, 251 available Pokemon - Crystal is the special edition, in which you can select a female protagonist for the first time)
3. Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and FireRed/LeafGreen (GBA, all with decent (Crater-style?) graphics, 386 available Pokemon - FR and LG are remakes of R/B/Y)
4. Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and HeartGold/SoulSilver (NDS, all with blah graphics, 493 available Pokemon - HG and SS are remakes of G/S/C)
5. Black/White and Black/White 2 (NDS, all incredible graphics, 649 available Pokemon - probably the best all around in the series)
6. X and Y (and R/S/E remakes in the future) (3DS, all uncanny valley 3D graphics, an ungodly number of Pokemon, getting pretty crazy)

Generations 3, 4, and 5 were released from 2002 to 2012, and in my opinion are the best games in the series. (1 and 2 are too dated, but have a large following, and 6 has gone a bit crazy with changes) I recommend Emerald, Platinum, and Black/White 2 above all.
Glad to see some love going to generation 5, but the uncanny valley in X and Y Chromosome versions? Sorry, but it's cel shaded no uncanny valley effect here.

05-09-2014 08:52 AM
Illuzion Offline
Christoph

I don't want to argue about which generation is the best, but I'm tempted. I grew up with the lovely generations four and three so I'm completely bias.

05-09-2014 08:54 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Gens 4 and 3 were amazing, and 5 did really well for games that weren't in true 3D. (Although 4 was a bit bland, but the story alone made it my favorite generation)

05-09-2014 08:58 AM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

(05-09-2014 03:46 AM)DoA Wrote:  probably the best all around in the series

AW HELL NO! G5 was the least good (B/W, not sure about B2/W2) in the series in my opinion. To me, that one already seems dated! G6 was the best because the changes made Pokemon X and Y the first Pokemon game that didn't remotely feel like the same game!

Note: I have never played a Pokemon game outside of Pokemon X and a hacked Pokemon FireRed. This is all bias based on the fact that I find G5's enviroments butt-ugly, B1/W1's lack of non-G5 Pokemon, and how much I hate every G5 Pokemon design I can remember except Emolga.

05-09-2014 09:18 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

When I first started B/W, I felt the same way, but it grew on me. B2/W2 are super-impressive, though, and bring back elements from all of the previous generations.

05-09-2014 09:50 AM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

My order for which Pokemon games I'm going to buy next:

1. OmegaRuby
2. HeartGold
3. White 2
4. Platinum
5. FireRed
6. Pokemon XD
7. Black

And I'll have every Pokemon generation (or a remake.)

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2014 11:04 AM by KFC Nyan Cat.)
05-09-2014 11:00 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

I'd put XD higher (that game is so underrated and I wish I'd gotten the chance to play it for myself) and HeartGold lower, but that's just me.

05-09-2014 11:06 AM
Dikont5 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 54 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

(05-09-2014 11:00 AM)kfcnyancat Wrote:  My order for which Pokemon games I'm going to buy next:

1. OmegaRuby
2. HeartGold
3. White 2
4. Platinum
5. FireRed
6. Pokemon XD
7. Black

Pokemon Games I will play later
1) OmegaRuby or OmegaSapphire can't choose yet :(
2) Pokemon Red
3) Pokemon Yellow

By the Way, which Pokemon game is your favorite out of all time?
Mine will always be Emerald. The story line, Pokemon, and people in the game were generally bad-ass in my opinion.

[Image: ninetales.gif]
[Image: poly12e.php?p1=74&p2=64&...amp;p12=49]
05-09-2014 11:20 AM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

(05-09-2014 11:20 AM)Dikont5 Wrote:  
(05-09-2014 11:00 AM)kfcnyancat Wrote:  My order for which Pokemon games I'm going to buy next:

1. OmegaRuby
2. HeartGold
3. White 2
4. Platinum
5. FireRed
6. Pokemon XD
7. Black

Pokemon Games I will play later
1) OmegaRuby or OmegaSapphire can't choose yet :(
2) Pokemon Red
3) Pokemon Yellow

By the Way, which Pokemon game is your favorite out of all time?
Mine will always be Emerald. The story line, Pokemon, and people in the game were generally bad-ass in my opinion.

I've only played X and a LeafGreen hack (you can probably see that from my list.) But X was the superior game.

05-09-2014 11:32 AM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

(05-09-2014 11:06 AM)DoA Wrote:  I'd put XD higher (that game is so underrated and I wish I'd gotten the chance to play it for myself) and HeartGold lower, but that's just me.

I actually wanted HeartGold when I got X. I got X because HeartGold was WAY to expensive. I'm glad I did, because HeartGold doesn't have Delphox (my favorite Pokemon,) and DS online service is dying.

05-09-2014 11:34 AM
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

Given 233 thank(s) in 157 post(s)

As for me, I have yet to understand the appeal of Minecraft. I think Minecraft blows. I'm more of a Sims guy anyways. Razz

I'm absolutely stoked for Gen III remakes. My first Pokémon game was Emerald and I can't wait to get both. Time to relive my childhood with Blaziken and Rayquaza!

Seven crappy hours of our lives.
05-09-2014 07:31 PM
Gwedin Offline
dumb shithead

Given 559 thank(s) in 410 post(s)

(05-09-2014 07:31 PM)SirMarty Wrote:  
As for me, I have yet to understand the appeal of Minecraft. I think Minecraft blows. I'm more of a Sims guy anyways. Razz

I'm yet to understand the appeal in Pokemon, Minecraft, TF2 or any MOBA game.
05-09-2014 07:47 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

I like both Pokemon and Minecraft. They're both lighthearted videogames with insanely creepy elements submerged deep underneath Smile

05-10-2014 02:18 AM
Illuzion Offline
Christoph

(05-10-2014 02:18 AM)DoA Wrote:  I like both Pokemon and Minecraft. They're both lighthearted videogames with insanely creepy elements submerged deep underneath Smile
Speculation by fans can reveal many things.

05-10-2014 06:53 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

I haven't had fun playing Pokemon since Gen III.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
05-10-2014 06:55 AM
NiteRaidah Offline
hmmm

Given 44 thank(s) in 31 post(s)

(05-08-2014 10:58 AM)kfcnyancat Wrote:  

Nah, Yellow wasn't much more than Red and Blue with Pikachu as your starter, and all G1 Pokemon.

Nostalgia factor...it was my favorite game growing up (plus I would need a way to play it again without an emulator if I so desired).
05-10-2014 11:58 AM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

(05-10-2014 11:58 AM)NiteRaidah Wrote:  
(05-08-2014 10:58 AM)kfcnyancat Wrote:  

Nostalgia factor...it was my favorite game growing up (plus I would need a way to play it again without an emulator if I so desired).

Used Game Boys are pretty cheap on Amazon and Pokemon Yellow isn't too expensive either.

05-10-2014 11:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pokemon is important! [split from morals/ethics game] thewake 67 27,348 05-18-2012 06:02 AM
Last Post: Sociopath
  POKEMON FOUND AND KILLED IN PANAMA psychopath 15 2,966 09-23-2009 11:44 AM
Last Post: John Tuttle
  What's your faviorite subject? monkey 43 5,028 02-13-2008 03:42 AM
Last Post: fragile_esteem
  pokemon mind control: it's really happening! cheesenomore 11 5,045 10-20-2005 03:35 PM
Last Post: Nicopole