RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Poll: Will you join?
yes
no
maybe
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SS Minecraft Server?
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
SS Minecraft Server?

Would you join if I made one?

Also discuss plugins and mods/whatever.

Last time I really played MC was version 1.4.something, so I'm a bit out of the loop.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
05-07-2014 01:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Username Offline
Drunkard

Given 228 thank(s) in 166 post(s)
RE: SS Minecraft Server?

Yeah, I'd play.

Mods? I suggest industrialcraft.
05-07-2014 05:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Night Offline
Queen Mod

Given 372 thank(s) in 211 post(s)

i should've put maybe, but I'll join if I can.

I've had problems with minecraft in the past. Where I needed to update a driver, but it caused stuff to be kind of glitchy in firefox at the time. Might be different now.

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
05-07-2014 05:53 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
SS Minecraft Server?

I'd absolutely join as long as there are no mods required. IndustrialCraft is overrated, and I don't want to install any mods anyway.

I recommend the full slew of basic plugins, though; teleportation is important, as is the ability to set homes and warps. Just in case any members of the community (or strangers who know the server IP) get any ideas, some anti-grief plugins might also help.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
05-07-2014 06:34 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

SS Minecraft Server?

I liked the setup they had on the old South African server I used to play on. Teleportation/home/lift/shop plugins, multiple worlds (safe farm world and seperate one with monsters/etc). No mods required.

They were too trigger-happy about deleting entire worlds though. I actually installed a mod on my MC to download backups of my own builds from their server. I would be tempted to restore some of them on the new one xD

I heard good things about Tekkit back then, but never tried it. I like the idea of automating some stuff.

I have an idea for making a sort of underground railway type system in the Nether for shortcutting long distances. Like, a long rail going in each direction, with stations & portals every few hundred blocks.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
05-07-2014 07:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

SS Minecraft Server?

Quote:I've had problems with minecraft in the past. Where I needed to update a driver, but it caused stuff to be kind of glitchy in firefox at the time. Might be different now.
Sounds like possibly a Java thing. What kind of glitchy?

Hidden stuff:
05-07-2014 07:59 AM
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)

Tekkit is pretty good, but feed the beast is better. EE in particular is just superop and can destroy the fun of the game.

EDIT: the old EE. The new one is just kind of stupid :/

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2014 08:09 AM by no.)
05-07-2014 08:09 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 31 thank(s) in 18 post(s)
SS Minecraft Server?

FTB sucks in my opinion, first off it's not very optimized I can get better FPS with the same mods active on Tekkit than on ANY FTB PACK. Although the new EE is not complete yet. Although if we do a server with mods: Tekkit, Plugins, Attack of the B-Team, or a custom modpack on the technic platform is fine with me.

Edit: If we do FTB I will NOT play on it

Edit 2: Also I'm great with running servers, I ran my own for a short period of time(it was modded though)

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
05-07-2014 08:14 AM
no Offline
True Scotsman

Thing is the new technic launcher is really glitchy for me, it displays this weird translucent background on any transparent sprites and the mouse lags in it. Old tekkit works right, but that only has access to "old" tekkit (1.2) and doesn't seem to login properly - it only works for me because I set remember password on it about a year ago.

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
05-07-2014 09:06 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(05-07-2014 07:57 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  I have an idea for making a sort of underground railway type system in the Nether for shortcutting long distances. Like, a long rail going in each direction, with stations & portals every few hundred blocks.

Which would then allow one to traverse the overworld at more than eight times the speed. I had an idea like this too, though it's really hard to implement in single-player.

05-07-2014 09:15 AM
I Must Enter a Username Away
DoApocalypse Survivor

Given 69 thank(s) in 59 post(s)
SS Minecraft Server?

I am an honest poll voter.
05-07-2014 09:18 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

SS Minecraft Server?

No, have you tried updating java and/or your graphics card drivers(if you use them).

Edit: Besides I do not like slowpoke and disagree with what he has done with FTB, while it was his choice, I choose to ignore FTB and not play it due to the fact I don't agree with his decision.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

05-07-2014 09:28 AM
no Offline
True Scotsman

I can't, as my dad does not trust me enough to have control of very much on this stupid computer, and does not trust me enough to let me buy one with my own money.

Before you ask, it's a mac, and thus inherently sucks.

Hello, traveler.

05-07-2014 09:44 AM
Trar Away
R.I.P.

Given 189 thank(s) in 125 post(s)
SS Minecraft Server?

I bought MC a long time ago and only played it a little bit. I might play again on an SS server, but only if the mods are picked via community consensus.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2014 11:38 AM by Trar.)
05-07-2014 11:38 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

SS Minecraft Server?

ah...

05-07-2014 11:47 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(05-07-2014 11:38 AM)Trar Wrote:  I bought MC a long time ago and only played it a little bit. I might play again on an SS server, but only if the mods are picked via community consensus.

A laughable concept. Just as the forum host should get pick of their team of mods, should the server host choose their team of Minecraft moderators.

05-07-2014 12:00 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

SS Minecraft Server?

Quote:I bought MC a long time ago and only played it a little bit. I might play again on an SS server, but only if the mods are picked via community consensus.
Mods as in moderators, or add-on like things?

Hidden stuff:
05-07-2014 11:34 PM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

SS Minecraft Server?

Actually I think a democratic server would work well, at least in theory.

05-08-2014 07:01 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

SS Minecraft Server?

That reminds me, the server I was on had a plugin that allowed moderators to revert entire areas to how they were in the past (like before being griefed or whatever).

There were a lot of moderators... having so many people able to use creative mode kind of ruined the survival aspect a bit.

Hidden stuff:
05-08-2014 09:49 AM
 Thanks given by: Ky
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

SS Minecraft Server?

I've used a plugin like that before. Also Soul if you want I can create a custom modpack for us.

05-08-2014 10:04 AM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

Given 244 thank(s) in 167 post(s)
SS Minecraft Server?

I'd play. As for mods....maybe, but nothing to drastic. The largest game-changing mod I'd use is Biomes O' Plenty.

City YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/kfcnyancat
City Tumblr: http://kfcnyancat.tumblr.com (no longer operational due to personal issues)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" - Donald Rumsfeld

For anyone who remembers me going on an archive binge: Thank you all. I know I ended it being a drama queen, I don't really agree with the ideology anymore, and I'm really not the same person I was (I went through a neopagan phase!) but still this site was the first online community I was in. I graduated from school and turned 18. Time flies. KFC Nyan Cat, June 20, 2019.
05-08-2014 10:45 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

SS Minecraft Server?

I like tech and science mods, with a bit of magic.

05-08-2014 11:18 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

SS Minecraft Server?

But with custom mods, wouldn't you have to update the mods every time we update Minecraft?

Hidden stuff:
05-12-2014 06:03 AM
Sharpie Offline
Banned

Given 169 thank(s) in 113 post(s)

Yeah, and mods don't update along with the game.. also im pretty sure anybody who wants to play on the server needs to install the mods and any required plugins as well.

I'd say no mods, just some plugins for wrap and anti grief functions and such.
05-12-2014 06:07 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

SS Minecraft Server?

I'm for mods, why? Because there are mod packs that we can use, for example Tekkit, which are pre-made by a team for our enjoyment, it's designed to be something you can download and run. Also you may need a special program for plugins though(although installation is not that hard)

05-12-2014 06:23 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

SS Minecraft Server?

Isn't it kind of a pain in the ass keeping stuff updated though?

Note to everyone: I'm terrible at keeping stuff up to date... so if I'm to be the admin, the less stuff to update, the better. xD

Unless someone else does it... Wasntme

On the SA server I was on, people kept accidentally updating their Minecraft and then people had to explain to them how to go back to an older version so that they can join the server before it updated (waiting for plugins to update and all that).

Hidden stuff:
05-12-2014 06:53 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
SS Minecraft Server?

so complicated.

And I don't even have minecraft.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
05-12-2014 06:59 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

SS Minecraft Server?

I could help Run it soul, I do have experience in the field so I could run it and you could be the owner, but not really have to do much.

05-12-2014 07:07 AM
Sharpie Offline
Banned

Given 169 thank(s) in 113 post(s)

I could help run it as well
05-12-2014 07:39 AM
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

Given 192 thank(s) in 120 post(s)
SS Minecraft Server?

I have a LOT of experience with Minecraft servers. I have even written my own Bukkit plugins. Has been years ago though.

I'd love to try out making a Pocket Edition server, would anybody join? First we build schools and then we blow them up Razz
01-27-2017 08:38 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A working Game Boy playing Pokemon Red...in Minecraft? HawkbitAlpha 3 2,621 04-25-2017 12:01 AM
Last Post: Username
  New Minecraft Server HSHARK 2 2,291 10-09-2016 10:42 AM
Last Post: HSHARK
  Review of Minecraft...curious about opinions! lisafromjackson 13 6,526 04-02-2016 11:35 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  A Civcraft like server. Chanku 5 2,615 05-15-2014 10:35 AM
Last Post: Sharpie
  The Community on a server Chanku 17 4,779 05-08-2014 10:49 AM
Last Post: KFC Nyan Cat
  SS minecraft server? gore goroth 33 19,179 10-27-2012 05:26 PM
Last Post: Heil_Kaiba8921
  Minecraft/Tekkit guts12 26 13,513 10-25-2012 02:21 AM
Last Post: djskidd
  Minecraft server is up Sharpie 17 6,945 10-20-2012 06:29 PM
Last Post: LiptomaticMate
  Minecraft యూజర్ పేరు 63 18,503 11-24-2011 09:23 AM
Last Post: LOON_ATTIC
  Video game hotline: Minecraft and other games thewake 11 7,177 08-02-2011 12:12 AM
Last Post: IllusoryDeath