RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kids deserve better than this
G1996pw Offline
Rebel

Given 6 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

In the all i hear is oh your here to learn annd get your education ..blah blah ..liars. We sit in class five days a week being told to work from bell to bell. What are we exactly doing that can help us be truely educated. We go to school many hous doing nothing but copy notes, and work mostly all the time. Why can we just sit home and enjoy our childhood not sitting in a worthplace working with no purpose. Kids deserve better than this other than being a slave to the system.:( WE ARE NOT STUDENTS WE ARE HUMAN BEING WHO DESERVE BETTER! Anybody else feel this way?
05-04-2014 05:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: xcriteria
DeadorAlive Offline
The Other DOA

Given 23 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

It also makes no sense that people who are aren't going to college have to learn crap like Civics and DNA replication, unless McDonalds invents a way to clone hamburgers, or declares its self a sovereign nation.

[Image: eat_my_train_shit__animated__by_leonartisan-d7px68f.gif]
I missed my old username
05-05-2014 12:28 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
RE: Kids deserve better than this

(05-05-2014 12:28 AM)DeadorAlive Wrote:  It also makes no sense that people who are aren't going to college have to learn crap like Civics and DNA replication, unless McDonalds invents a way to clone hamburgers, or declares its self a sovereign nation.
The future is closer than you think Evillaugh

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
05-05-2014 12:50 AM
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

Given 233 thank(s) in 157 post(s)

I getcha OP. During the time I was going to high school I would have rather been playing video games. Playing video games got me to meet someone and made me realize what I wanted to do in life. Been out of school for almost a 1½ and I'm still not doing what I want to do because I refuse to open up to my parents about it since they were against homeschooling.

Speaking of homeschooling, I was talking to a friend of mine who thinks unschooling – a subset of homeschooling – isn't a proper way to be educated. He also said that he thought if you're going to have to learn something you don't want to learn (e.g. Algebra), then you're gonna have to be forced because if you had a choice of whether or not you didn't have to go then no one would.

He goes to school because he believes working on school, getting into a good college to get a good degree so that people will accept you for a high paying job, and learning your passions and meeting great people – that's all what keeps him in. The money and the people, and when he told me by people he mainly meant girls.

He also thinks that if he would have stayed with his parents the whole time instead of forcing himself to get involved, he would have been a really awkward child, and that school is all about talking to many other kinds of people, getting into fights, and making fun of the teacher.

He's a hipster and he has his group of friends. He's pretty outgoing too. Him and I had a discussion about schooling just for a few minutes (it got off-topic) and he just noted that him and I had differing opinions about school and life in general (not sure where the latter came from because I don't really talk about life and philosophy with him Razz).

Me? I'm more introverted. I don't really like being around people who don't share my interests or viewpoints because I guess you could say it intimidates me. I'm just a really shy person, but if you're into something I'm into then I'll most likely be your best friend.

I would like to be involved with professional cosplaying, professional gaming and machinima directing. Those are my big 3 hobbies that I'd like to make into careers. I refer to myself as a Gaming Legend because one day I want to be known as one who can get paid and highly recognized for at least one of those things one day. The other things I'd like to dabble in are SFX artistry and voice acting.

Seven crappy hours of our lives.
05-05-2014 10:24 AM
 Thanks given by: Trar
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Quote:you didn't have to go then no one would.

It's better there are few of those who know and want to know and thus know well, then many of those who don't want to know, and thus are unreliable in their enthusiasm and thus knowledge of said field.

Would you rather be treated by a doctor who was forced to learn medicine, or a doctor who eagerly sought to learn medicine?(thus implying that the latter would spend more of his time on his area of interest).

Typical fractured logic of some people. They speed across to a conclusion without taking note of the direction they're heading in.

If I go across a river and fall in, it's not because there's no bridge. It's because I'm a dumb idiot who turned at a location the bridge was not.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2014 11:05 AM by brainiac3397.)
05-05-2014 11:04 AM
 Thanks given by: Trar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Half my last high school class didn't even deserve to graduate J.D. 10 8,230 05-24-2013 06:30 AM
Last Post: HawkbitAlpha