RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What part of my computer should I upgrade next?
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Given 31 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

After I upgrade the PSU, which part should I upgrade and why.
Should I upgrade:

- MOBO/RAM/CPU (along with an SATA DVD/CD player thingy and a new case)

- Graphics Card

- Just get a bigger case for now

- Get a new HDD

- Get an SSD.

the CPU on the computer is an Intel Core 2 Duo(one of the earlier ones too). The mobo is one that comes with the MPC Clientpro 385. I have 4 GB of DDR2 RAM. The HDD is 160 GB SATA, the graphics card itself is an Nvidia Series 8 (8400) GS edition.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
04-30-2014 10:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

160 GB only?

MOAR!

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
04-30-2014 10:06 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

It servers my purposes at the moment. Hell I'm on a 60 GB HDD right now.

Pretty Much my only signature...I'm mainly a lurker....you can find me on the IRC (or on DnE and their IRC).

04-30-2014 10:10 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Believe me, it won't last long.

Unless you don't aim to figure out how to squeeze 40 video games onto it along with other stuff like I tried.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
04-30-2014 10:12 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Well then again my laptop(which I am using) only has 512 MB RAM, Onboard Graphics, a firewire port, is an HP, runs windows XP, and has a Pentium M processor. So I can't play many games, but at the same time I don't plan on playing many games.

Edit: also I do plan on using RAID (either 1, 5, 6, or 1+0 (1+0 has both features of 1 and 0, but if a drive fails it becomes RAID 1)), and, at least, one External Hard-drive at some point.

04-30-2014 10:23 AM
(´・ω・`) Offline
Pariah

Given 100 thank(s) in 72 post(s)

I don't know. I'd spring for a new mobo if I were you, but that's just me.

Hidden stuff:

Quote:<sug> i dont think ive ever been an atheist
<sug> i worship the superplayer

Returned after years hiatus.
04-30-2014 11:45 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Yeah I was thinking to spring for a new Mobo so I can get an i3(at the very least I kinda want an i7 if possible) CPU. Also I want to move away from DDR2 RAM ASAP.

04-30-2014 11:48 AM
Gwedin Offline
dumb shithead

Given 559 thank(s) in 410 post(s)

Yeah, MOBO. Foundation for better upgrades in the future.
04-30-2014 03:59 PM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

Given 244 thank(s) in 167 post(s)

HDD. My 2005 PC has more space!

City YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/kfcnyancat
City Tumblr: http://kfcnyancat.tumblr.com (no longer operational due to personal issues)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" - Donald Rumsfeld

For anyone who remembers me going on an archive binge: Thank you all. I know I ended it being a drama queen, I don't really agree with the ideology anymore, and I'm really not the same person I was (I went through a neopagan phase!) but still this site was the first online community I was in. I graduated from school and turned 18. Time flies. KFC Nyan Cat, June 20, 2019.
05-06-2014 09:07 AM
Chanku Offline
Fanatic

Meh I got the HDD for cheap(and it's a seagate), however I don't care that much about space.

05-06-2014 09:52 AM
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)
RE: What part of my computer should I upgrade next?

Download more RAM.

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
05-06-2014 10:00 AM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

Given 244 thank(s) in 167 post(s)
RE: What part of my computer should I upgrade next?

(05-06-2014 10:00 AM)no Wrote:  Download more RAM.
Why waste time with that? You can just find more in your PC by deleting System32! Sadly, it doesn't work on Windows 9x, MS-DOS, Linux, Mac OSX, or Mac OS.

City YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/kfcnyancat
City Tumblr: http://kfcnyancat.tumblr.com (no longer operational due to personal issues)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" - Donald Rumsfeld

For anyone who remembers me going on an archive binge: Thank you all. I know I ended it being a drama queen, I don't really agree with the ideology anymore, and I'm really not the same person I was (I went through a neopagan phase!) but still this site was the first online community I was in. I graduated from school and turned 18. Time flies. KFC Nyan Cat, June 20, 2019.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2014 10:54 AM by KFC Nyan Cat.)
05-09-2014 10:52 AM