RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Only School Equipment Allowed"
SeReNiTY Offline
Champion Of The Oppressed

Given 42 thank(s) in 26 post(s)

First, Happy Easter to those who celebrate.

This upcoming week is the hockey unit in gym. Gym usually contains sports I am picked last in (and don't care about) so this is a consolation. I played hockey for three years outside of school before its introduction in gym last year.

Subsequently, I kick ass. But the equipment the school has is the exact opposite of kick ass. The sticks are plastic and bend way too much, the nets are sub-par (net wont hold up) and the pucks are airy inside.

So, to rectify the problem partially, I am bringing my own stick (the school sticks and my own are both too small) which is a Nike-Bauer Supreme One50, which is an incredible stick. But here's the issue. The school is probably gonna give me shit for not using equipment they provide. They'll claim it is an unfair advantage. But when their equipment is not desirable for the sport, it is really not.

What do I do if they tell me to 'use school equipment' when I bring in my hockey stick?

"Thou shalt not be an asshole"
-The one commandment of atheism.

SubCulture said
"If you call xcriteria a shithead, he will write a ten page essay on why he is not a shithead, link you to a tedtalk on bullying and the tvtropes page on insults. After reading and watching all that you would evaluate your life and decide to never call anyone a shithead ever again."
04-21-2014 01:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
RE: "Only School Equipment Allowed"

Ask them to take a bus to school and eat crap cafeteria food and restrict themselves from going to the bathroom and limit their breaks to 3-5 minutes.

It's only fair.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
04-21-2014 01:11 AM
 Thanks given by: no
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

Given 109 thank(s) in 93 post(s)

I honestly think you're making too big a deal out of this. if the nets are sub-par and not that strong, then what would using your stick, which you could put more power behind, do to help not break those nets?

Most importantly, the equipment they use at school is designed to last, not designed to be good. Good equipment gets destroyed by the hundreds of teenagers, usually boys, that use it and think things like "fuck everyone else, I want to see how far this thing can bend." And then they break it, get in trouble, and nobody gets to have anything nice anymore.

I guarantee you the school will not care that you use your own stick. The gym teacher might, but that is their individual choice and they make it more for the "safety" (for lack of a better word) of everyone else. In the case of hockey sticks, wood can cause a lot more damage than plastic, so just imagine a bunch of teenage boys using actual hockey sticks when they have adrenaline pumping through their system. No doubt there would be at least 1 person on the ground cupping their shin because of some jerk that got a little carried away.

The less you try to control things, the less you need to.

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

"Bodies fucking fuck."~Night.Artist

[Image: 41433.png][Image: 14362714_1336391025.png]

Hidden stuff:
[Image: asschart.jpg]
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

Thanks for the diploma… can I have my childhood back?

I’d love to have a battle of wits with you… but I hate to fight the unarmed.
04-21-2014 01:29 AM
 Thanks given by: Trar
SeReNiTY Offline
Champion Of The Oppressed

Given 42 thank(s) in 26 post(s)

Heil, my stick is composite carbon fibre, not wood.

The nets aren't bad, just light cheap and easy to move with a shot off the post.

"Thou shalt not be an asshole"
-The one commandment of atheism.

SubCulture said
"If you call xcriteria a shithead, he will write a ten page essay on why he is not a shithead, link you to a tedtalk on bullying and the tvtropes page on insults. After reading and watching all that you would evaluate your life and decide to never call anyone a shithead ever again."
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2014 01:37 AM by SeReNiTY.)
04-21-2014 01:36 AM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

Given 244 thank(s) in 167 post(s)

Well, my school makes boys use paddles and girls get to use racquets when we play badminton. I doubt they'll care, because school is all about unfair advantages.

City YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/kfcnyancat
City Tumblr: http://kfcnyancat.tumblr.com (no longer operational due to personal issues)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" - Donald Rumsfeld

For anyone who remembers me going on an archive binge: Thank you all. I know I ended it being a drama queen, I don't really agree with the ideology anymore, and I'm really not the same person I was (I went through a neopagan phase!) but still this site was the first online community I was in. I graduated from school and turned 18. Time flies. KFC Nyan Cat, June 20, 2019.
04-21-2014 02:05 AM
Dead Offline
Goon

Given 288 thank(s) in 176 post(s)

My school uses aluminum ones.
04-21-2014 02:40 AM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

(04-21-2014 01:36 AM)SeReNiTY Wrote:  Heil, my stick is composite carbon fibre, not wood.

The nets aren't bad, just light cheap and easy to move with a shot off the post.

My point still stands though.

Let me put it this way...(imagine you have a swimming pool and there is a swimming unit in gym on the chance that you don't have these things) Would you get in trouble for bringing your own swimming goggles to swim class? No. The teacher would happily let you use them, and all the kids that don't have any would be jelly.

As for nets. It's not surprising when you consider the fact that they need to be able to pack things up fairly quickly. Nobody wants to spend 3 hours after school packing things away so that the team practices can begin like they should have 2 hours ago.

Boredom is the #1 enemy of learning. Therefore, school is the #1 enemy of learning.

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

"free speech under the constitution only guarantees the government won't stop him saying it and does not guarantee his right to say things and have no consequences at all as a result. also i completely doubt that he is motivated solely by "i'm saying it because i can" and is probably motivated by a more shitheady motive like "i think it's funny to annoy people and Rustle Le Jimmies™ and is just hiding behind the first amendment to try to deflect any consequences or make you realize that being allowed to annoy people is a superior moral right. you can still disdain someone for doing things for dumbarse wankery purposes and you have evne more right to ban and insult them for it" ~Trar's friend about Potato.

04-21-2014 12:52 PM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

(04-21-2014 02:05 AM)kfcnyancat Wrote:  Well, my school makes boys use paddles and girls get to use racquets when we play badminton. I doubt they'll care, because school is all about unfair advantages.

Two reasons for this:

1) Not enough racquets to go around for everyone in class.

2) Boys aren't trustworthy with nice things when in school (or just things they didn't buy/own)

Men are at a severe disadvantage in life when you consider the things that people pick women for 9.9/10 times. Babysitting, cooking in the kitchen (excluding 3-5 star restaraunts though for some odd reason), ballet (men are immediately considered gay if they are into ballet), and so many other things that I just don't know about right now and other people should add.

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

04-21-2014 12:55 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

In my HS we had a ping-pong(table tennis) table. The school provided paddle things were crap. After a week or two of use(and thus easy destruction), everybody began to bring their own equipment. $50 dollar paddles, extra ping-pong balls, even a new net or two. Soon either everybody had bought some fancy paddle of their own, or would take turns sharing with those who didn't make such investments.

Course the table broke after a few months...I guess nobody wanted to go so far as to buy a new table.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
04-21-2014 01:15 PM
Heil_Kaiba8921 Offline
It's also a gun.

(04-21-2014 01:15 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  In my HS we had a ping-pong(table tennis) table. The school provided paddle things were crap. After a week or two of use(and thus easy destruction), everybody began to bring their own equipment. $50 dollar paddles, extra ping-pong balls, even a new net or two. Soon either everybody had bought some fancy paddle of their own, or would take turns sharing with those who didn't make such investments.

Course the table broke after a few months...I guess nobody wanted to go so far as to buy a new table.

Quote:[11:35:37] <xcriteria> "I guarantee you the school will not care that you use your own stick."
[11:35:40] <xcriteria> I can imagine they might
[11:35:50] <xcriteria> they might classify it as dangerous, or a weapon
[11:35:58] <xcriteria> or unfair advantage

I think this falls under "unfair advantage" and therefore, xcriteria thinks you should get detention. Saturday detention most likely.

Hidden stuff:
Hidden stuff:

04-21-2014 02:17 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

I got Saturday detention once. Walked into the school on said Saturday and saw the vice-principal who had given it to me. He saw me, I saw him. We locked eyes in some sort of deadly gaze as I did not deserve it. I tensed, holding my anger down. Then before I could say I was here for detention, he smiled and said "What are you doing here on a Saturday?"

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
04-21-2014 02:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  so....school fights....not allowed to fight back.... Asder Miller The Second 10 6,644 08-23-2013 10:20 AM
Last Post: Miab419
  At my school, you aren't allowed to defend yourself Christian Hellhound 30 21,461 08-04-2013 01:02 AM
Last Post: 154bmag
  I don't know what I will be allowed to wear to school in the summer тωιѕтє∂ 9 7,229 03-24-2013 03:57 PM
Last Post: thewake