RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't think we should end school.
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)
I don't think we should end school.

I think we should severely change it. Upon ending it, some would have issues finding a way to become educated. Some parents wouldn't have enough time to home-school their children, and would rather hand them over to a school which would do a better job. Of course, school should not be mandatory, and children should be able to make these decision for themselves.

So how do we ensure people are educated? My solution would be to make school fun, interesting and an overall good place to be for the students. I would go to school if I could spend a few hours a day learning, researching, going to classes I choose, and socializing. I honestly think this is the best way to go.

The reason students hate school is the tyranny of it all. I'm pretty sure they would willingly go if given the choice, and if the place was free. Even if it was compulsory, but free, I probably wouldn't have a huge disdain for the place due to it letting me take my own direction in my education. Not saying it would be right to be forced, but it would certainly be better if it was less restrictive.

Edit: Free as in freedom.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
09-02-2010 08:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)
Re: I don't think we should end school.

With respect, I disagree. The fact that it's compulsive is the reason for the mistreatment of students. Since the students can't leave if they feel that the environment is unjust, there's no reason for them not to fix the injustices.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
09-02-2010 09:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Rebelnerd Wrote:With respect, I disagree. The fact that it's compulsive is the reason for the mistreatment of students. Since the students can't leave if they feel that the environment is unjust, there's no reason for them not to fix the injustices.
Agreed, it should definitely not be compulsory, but it should probably still be an option.

Blog I post to now:

09-02-2010 10:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

I wouldn't mind going if the work was decent and the kids weren't playing around in the muck.
09-03-2010 12:39 AM
Psychoqueen Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I wouldn't mind school if they cut out the bullshit.
09-03-2010 10:47 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Alright, say we were allowed to pick our own classes, and research and learn what we wanted. I'm playing devils advocate here, but it is a pretty good question that is bound to come up.

What will ensure these students are learning and not just fucking around?

I realize there is an intrinsic desire to learn, but that probably won't satisfy anyone opposing this type of change. Should the state be able to mandate a base amount of education that the person must learn, that is testable?

Blog I post to now:

09-04-2010 09:58 AM
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Given 11 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Psychoqueen Wrote:I wouldn't mind school if they cut out the bullshit.

This, and if the teachers stopped yelling at us like we're cattle just because they can, and treating us like idiots, etc.
If it wasn't compulsory and they treated us like humans and not babies, and we could choose our schedule, yeah. I'd go.

Like College- Only for all ages, non compulsory, and paid for by the govt. for a certain amount of time/number of classes.

Absentinsomniac Wrote:Alright, say we were allowed to pick our own classes, and research and learn what we wanted. I'm playing devils advocate here, but it is a pretty good question that is bound to come up.

What will ensure these students are learning and not just fucking around?

I realize there is an intrinsic desire to learn, but that probably won't satisfy anyone opposing this type of change. Should the state be able to mandate a base amount of education that the person must learn, that is testable?

No.
But you have a good point. My opinion is that if school ended, nobody would do shit because we're all sick of it. The whole hierarchy of college admissions and the high standards would have to end.
Parents would be distraught, because hey, school was free babysitting! Now they'll have to PARENT their CHILD! Maybe even TEACH them some things, like morals and how to be a decent human, instead of expecting the schools to teach it, which isn't and should NEVER be their job.
That's the main problem with things right now, is that people have kids not realizing what it will entail. Some of my friends' divorced and remarried parents, who yell at their kids every fucking day, are still having more kids. Seriously, people need to have one kid, decide how they're going to raise it, see if they could handle another, and then have another child if they absolutely can, not just because they want to! So parents have kids without knowing what they want their kids to get out of life, not considering anything other than the rat race of public school...
If people thought hard about what was best for their kids, and did some research, I think there'd be a lot more homeschoolers and unschoolers.

But anyway, after a vacation, I think people'd start going back, adults AND teens, to learn and get an education. Hopefully the schools would become a more knowledge and discovery based system instead of Going Through the Movements to Go To College/Get Rich.

I don't know. It would never happen. All I know is, unless my future kid(s) WANT to go to school, I'm not letting them get involved in that shitty rat race.

An it Harm None, Do What Ye Will
An it Harm, Do Only What Ye Must

Lighten up! This life was made for experimenting, making mistakes, falling on our faces, and standing up to do it all over again.
Live for Learning.

Carla Franklin may be a whore. She may be a wonderful, kind, moral woman. Seeing as I don't know her personally, I cannot know for sure. However, I find her actions (suing Google, requesting the personal info of her critics, getting angry over random internet idiocy that she should ignore and be bigger than, trying to get this site in trouble because of a few users' commentary on the situation, etc.) pretty ridiculous and unwarranted. If she didn't want people to to be talking about/judging her, well 1. that's impossible, she's a human, and 2. she shouldn't have been a model or agreed to be on film. AND 3. she DEFINITELY shouldn't have sued Google and made all this fuss over a few random idiots whom she probably won't ever know expressing their opinion. Mmkay? MMKAY.
09-04-2010 01:53 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

It would still be a problem if the public schools are funded by money taken from people who don't even use the schools. If the funding is also voluntary (I mean, if you use it, then you have to pay, but if you don't use it, you don't have to pay), and it's for people of all ages, then I'm on board.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
09-04-2010 05:52 PM
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Prince Rilian Wrote:It would still be a problem if the public schools are funded by money taken from people who don't even use the schools. If the funding is also voluntary (I mean, if you use it, then you have to pay, but if you don't use it, you don't have to pay), and it's for people of all ages, then I'm on board.

True, I'm just worried that it'll get too expensive like college (50000 dollars a year? And they STILL can't pay the teachers?)
But true, we shouldn't be taxed for something we don't use (even though we are all the time, but whether we should and it happens are two different things...)

Lighten up! This life was made for experimenting, making mistakes, falling on our faces, and standing up to do it all over again.
Live for Learning.

Carla Franklin may be a whore. She may be a wonderful, kind, moral woman. Seeing as I don't know her personally, I cannot know for sure. However, I find her actions (suing Google, requesting the personal info of her critics, getting angry over random internet idiocy that she should ignore and be bigger than, trying to get this site in trouble because of a few users' commentary on the situation, etc.) pretty ridiculous and unwarranted. If she didn't want people to to be talking about/judging her, well 1. that's impossible, she's a human, and 2. she shouldn't have been a model or agreed to be on film. AND 3. she DEFINITELY shouldn't have sued Google and made all this fuss over a few random idiots whom she probably won't ever know expressing their opinion. Mmkay? MMKAY.
09-05-2010 11:15 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

I know, about college, I wonder what they do with all the money, and then I see they painting the walls again and putting in new benches and trashcans and remodeling this old stupid house for the president to live in. And giving the "athletes" gobs of scholarship.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

09-05-2010 04:28 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

No one ever said anything about destroying school, just making it optional.
09-05-2010 04:47 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

Absentinsomniac Wrote:So how do we ensure people are educated?

We don't need to "make sure" of anything. That is a myth. People learn what they need to learn.
09-05-2010 04:50 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

psychopath Wrote:
Absentinsomniac Wrote:So how do we ensure people are educated?

We don't need to "make sure" of anything. That is a myth. People learn what they need to learn.
Or they die. natural selection.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

09-05-2010 04:51 PM
username01462781 Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

I kinda agree with this.

While I would love to see school finally be rid of, it simply won't work and won't happen in the worlds current state. Our best bet would be to establish our (by our I mean SS, NYRA etc) goal as trying to improve school, then people would take us seriously.
09-05-2010 05:35 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Linki Wrote:I kinda agree with this.

While I would love to see school finally be rid of, it simply won't work and won't happen in the worlds current state. Our best bet would be to establish our (by our I mean SS, NYRA etc) goal as trying to improve school, then people would take us seriously.

Pretty much yea. I doubt we will be able to make school optional without a whole lot of other shit changing first. Although I agree, people would learn what they need to learn regardless of school.

Blog I post to now:

09-06-2010 04:13 PM
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Exactly, same reason Anarchy can't work.

Live for Learning.

09-07-2010 04:38 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

NowhereWoman Wrote:

Right. You can't expect people to engage in mutually beneficial exchanges. You have to force them to take care of themselves, or else everyone would just lay down and starve to death.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

09-07-2010 10:42 AM
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Prince Rilian Wrote:
NowhereWoman Wrote:

Right. You can't expect people to engage in mutually beneficial exchanges. You have to force them to take care of themselves, or else everyone would just lay down and starve to death.

Well, it's just the fact that you can't change millions of mindsets to the point where these huge changes would work.

Live for Learning.

09-08-2010 07:53 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

Of course we should change the school system, the question is what direction we want to take it. Do we want to focus on giving students more of a voice in school policy, or just making living conditions better? I say the former. If students have greater political power in the education system, we can achieve our other goals in due time. But if all we do is make school nicer and more comfortable, students still won't have the freedom to make themselves heard and won't be able to do anything if things start to slide back into the way they were.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
09-08-2010 11:35 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

NowhereWoman Wrote:Well, it's just the fact that you can't change millions of mindsets to the point where these huge changes would work.

Yes, changing people's minds is what you have to do. But you shouldn't just say it's impossible and give up.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

09-08-2010 02:42 PM
booshpower Offline
Rebel

i wouldn't mind school as much if it wasn't full of dickheads
10-11-2010 06:59 AM
Raikuron Offline
Fanatic

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

booshpower Wrote:i wouldn't mind school as much if it wasn't full of dickheads

Thank you for this trip down memory lane, Captain Obvious.
10-11-2010 07:04 AM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

Raikuron Wrote:

Another quality post from Raikuron, being oh so kind to our members.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
10-13-2010 06:11 AM
booshpower Offline
Rebel

Raikuron Wrote:

yea, i hope those memories are bad ones, mate

Smile
10-13-2010 07:41 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Raikuron Wrote:

You fucked up again. Do you know what THAT means?

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
10-13-2010 07:46 AM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

CrayolaColours Wrote:
Raikuron Wrote:

I don't think he does, but I know Moriko does. Fire it up Mori, we'll bring him down to ya in half an hour.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
10-14-2010 02:40 AM
Raikuron Offline
Fanatic

Uh, no. It means people are gonna start bitching about me again.
10-14-2010 10:19 AM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Given 160 thank(s) in 104 post(s)

CrayolaColours Wrote:
Raikuron Wrote:

Don't be like that, Raikuron Is eh pretty cool guy.

Hidden stuff:
TRIGGER WARNING: THIS TRIGGER WARNING CONTAINS TRIGGER WARNINGS!

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

[Image: violator_blackbg_110x32.gif]
Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
Charles Manson Wrote:“Look down at me and you see a fool;
look up at me and you see a god;
look straight at me and you see yourself”
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
 Pirate Join the crew!Pirate
10-14-2010 10:24 AM
Raikuron Offline
Fanatic

Sociopath Wrote:Don't be like that, Raikuron Is eh pretty cool guy.
Coming from you, this makes me want to constantly insult myself and denounce myself as the absolute worst member of the forums.
10-14-2010 10:33 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Laugh

The only reason I brought it up is because Rai takes it as a personal attack if a warn a new member of him beforehand, and will always say "At least let me fuck up first".

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
10-14-2010 11:17 AM