RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. Send me a message if you'd like to keep in touch with me & Steve.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
In which Night talks about how she doesn't wash her hair.
Night Offline
Queen Mod

Given 373 thank(s) in 211 post(s)

Warning to all those who still dislike me. I don't make my threads for you, I make them for me. Don't care, don't post.

Anyways, I do wash my hair, just not in the conventional sense with regular store bought shampoo and conditioner.

My method is much healthier for you hair. And tons cheaper.

The thing about store bought shampoo is if you check the ingredients there's about a 99.9% chance you'll see the ingredients Sodium Laureth Sulfate. This little devil is evil. Pure evil. It strips your hair of all it's natural oils that keep your hair healthy and looking decent. This is the shit that causes frizziness and split ends and ew. Just ew. Apparnelty most soap also contains this evil ingredient which strips the natural oils off your skin leaving it dry and gross, which for someone with Keratosis Pilaris, is not a good thing. I believe my shampoo alternative can also work as a good soap alternative.

So to compensate for the torture we place upon our lovely hair we use conditioner. And if you have long curly hair like me the ratio for shampoo bottles used to conditioner bottles used is 1:4. And the thing is even this is terrible for your hair. Especially if you have curly hair (again, like me). Becuase most conditioners contain silicone. Basically, it coats your hair in this lovely residue which feigns softness but is really just gross.

So what did I do to fix this problem?

Well there's something called the "no-poo method." Kind of has an awkward name.

Anyways, you replace your shampoo with a mixture of 1 tablespoon baking soda and 1 cup water. Put it in a little squirt bottle, like a mustard bottle or the bottles you get when you buy hair dye. And you apply it to your scalp. Only your scalp. And massage. It feels slippery and weird and unlike shampoo it doesn't foam up. Just wash a bit and rinse out.

Then, as a replacement for conditioner you make a mixture of 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar and 1 cup water. You put it in a spray bottle. And after you rinse your "shampoo" you spray the vinegar mixture in your hair. Leave it for like a minute. And then rinse. If you rinse sufficiently you won't smell like vinegar, trust me.

If you look this up you'll likely come across something saying this is bad for your hair because "omg baking soda isn't pH balanced!" To this i say, you're an idiot. You're diluting the fucking baking soda to the point where it should be pH balanced. But even still 1tbsp baking soda to 1 cup water doesn't work for everyone. You might need 2 tbsp, or half a tbsp. You might even just need a teaspoon. It's all up to you to find what works. If you're using a baking soda paste, you're an idiot and you're doing it wrong, and that will ruin your hair.

And then there are the idiots that are like "Omg i did it for a week and my hair was gross!" You're an idiot and you did it wrong. See, with this method there's a transition period. You've been washing your hair with harsh chemicals for so many years and this is why your hair gets super greasy. It's trying to compensate for the fact that you have been torturing it and stripping it of it's natural loveliness. When you switch it's gonna take a couple of fucking weeks for your hair to say "Ohhh, we're not being tortured anymore! ok guys calm down."

Another thing. This isn't meant to be done everyday like you have to with regular shampoo. This is meant to be done like once a week. Obiously if you lead a very active lifestyle where you sweat a lot and get gross you could do it more often, but I would assume you'd want to dilute the baking soda more.

And yes, it does actually clean your hair. I did it, and it left my hair just as clean as shampoo would except without all the stripped natural oils.

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
02-27-2014 12:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)
RE: In which Night talks about how she doesn't wash her hair.

Where did you find this at?

Do you have any scientific studies, etc... on you're said replacement method and how it works?

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
02-27-2014 01:02 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1984 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

As far as I know, it's becoming more prevalent. All the "don't have to shampoo everytime" and "shampoo/conditioner removes natural oil" points.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
02-27-2014 01:34 PM
Illumanti205 Offline
Renegade

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

I would like to use natural products but I will just get more shit from everybody. I'll have to wait until I can move
02-27-2014 02:46 PM
Night Offline
Queen Mod

There isn't much I could actually find on the subject as far scientific studies. After all, the modern idea of shampoo has only been around for like 100 years. And I'm also just not very good at finding that stuff.

But I did find this study on the safety of sulfates.

Now I don't know about you but I don't want that stuff anywhere near my head. Honestly, I don't want any of those ingredients in shampoo on me. I have very very sensitive skin. This is obvious by the fact that I can't use chapstick. Chapstick gives me a rash, there has only been one type of chapstick that isn't just petroleum jelly (which barely works btw) that didn't give me a rash. And I'm gonna mention my keratosis again. Nothing is gonna change the fact that sulfates are stronger than baking soda, and more drying (I've already noticed this). And that coupled with the fact that i already have drier than normal skin equals ucky bumps all over my arms, legs, and back. Imagine having goosebumps 24/7.

Also I have a thing about scratching my head. It's a coping mechanism or something, I'm not sure. maybe a subconscious attempt at self harm. but I scratch my head a lot, sometimes to the point it bleeds.
And I've had this problem a few times where i get this pain in my scalp. Like itchy and painful.

So all in all, I have sensitive and dry skin. And skin condition that is exacerbated by drying products. And dry hair. And I rather stay away from all these chemicals that might cause me problems.

And besides, this method totally works to completely wash your hair. As explained here by one of my favorite youtubers. Her main thing is corsets/waist training. But she also talks about hair. Plus she has a fancy degree in something like biology I believe. She's also just better at talking than I am.

Watch on YouTube

When it comes right down too it. Whether or not conventional shampoo and conditioner is as bad as they say it is, this is still just a better option. Especially for me personally. I rather reduce the amount of chemicals I use on my body. It's definitely less harsh. And if all else fails, it still works to wash your hair and it's a shitton cheaper!!!

Like how much are you spending on shampoo and conditioner? Most likely a lot more than the couple dollars it takes to buy baking soda and apple cider vinegar which will last you months since you'll only be washing your hair usually once a week with this method.

I'm too lazy to do the actual math since the prices of shampoo varies between brands and the cumulative price will vary depending on how much you wash and how long a bottle lasts each person.

I personally just prefer being natural. I mean, I'm not gonna going to go full blown organic everything since buying organic isn't cost effective and there is literally no difference. But I would love to grow my own food. I have almost completely cut soda out of my life, and they weren't kidding when they said water is good for your skin!!

There are just somethings we don't need to do. Like wash our hair everyday, or even every other day. Or eat meat, we can completely fulfill our nutritional needs with a vegetarian diet, even a vegan diet. But I like Chicken nuggets too much so I'm neither (as of yet at least, might be considered).

I'm going off on a tangent. I'll stop now.

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
02-27-2014 03:22 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Considering the fact people in the past didnt have head and shouldef, its plausible that there are simpler and less harmful methods of cleaning yourself.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
02-27-2014 04:11 PM
Night Offline
Queen Mod

Just saying I haven't washed my hair in over a week and it's still as clean as the day I washed it.

I can run my fingers through my hair all day and not have to worry about my fingers getting greasy.

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
03-19-2014 01:09 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

I have dandruff.

Probably need to moisturize my beard and hair...

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
03-19-2014 04:00 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A cover and my bathrobe just came out of the wash The Desert Fox 2 726 12-12-2010 03:34 AM
Last Post: The Desert Fox