RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pep rallies.
Jordbaer Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Pep rallies.

Who else hates them as much as I do?

Today, my school had one. They've always been mandatory, and the middle school comes to them too, so it's crowded in there. The gym also has never had an air conditioner, so it's pretty miserable.

This year, however, they've instated what is quite honestly the stupidest policy yet. After the pep rally, they are now making you go back to the class you were in before the pep rally so that the teachers can count the students and make sure no one ditched that shit since pep rallies are serious business.

My school's pep rallies are, like everything else there, incredibly lame. They do the same cheers over and over, and being picked for the game is quite possibly the most horrifying thing that could happen to you since your entire grade will hate you if you lose. The games are never entertaining, either.

I managed to skip it. I told my mom about the whole thing, and she agrees that they are a waste of time. She came to school and told them I had a doctor's appointment, so they let me out. Unfortunately, I think they'll start to notice a pattern if I leave every time there's a pep rally.

Oh, and the only sport that they have pep rallies for is (American) football. They used to do basketball ones occasionally, but they stopped that. American football overshadows everything. For example, I never even know what times my friend's soccer games are because that sport isn't considered important.

What are your thoughts and experiences? Discuss.
09-04-2010 12:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
Re: Pep rallies.

I always hated the fact that it was only football. Honestly, for the most part, I enjoy them, since it's time I'm NOT in class. And honestly, this year's pep rallies are going to be a COMPLETE lulz mine... COMPLETELY. Since we have this Performing Arts Academy, people from all the other schools come here for half a day. So the other High Schools are going have to sit through another High School's pep rally.

Stupid as they are, it's nice to get out of class. Smile And, like I said, I'll give my left arm to see the other kids make a scene yelling "GO [insert school that isn't ours here]"

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
09-04-2010 01:26 PM
NowhereWoman Offline
Pariah

Given 11 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

We had one today - but it was fun because it was blacklight, they played music catchy enough to be listenable, and we have AC in our gym. There were way too many people though, even though they split up the school and had two rallies to make it easier. And it was too long. My ears still hurt.

An it Harm None, Do What Ye Will
An it Harm, Do Only What Ye Must

Lighten up! This life was made for experimenting, making mistakes, falling on our faces, and standing up to do it all over again.
Live for Learning.

Carla Franklin may be a whore. She may be a wonderful, kind, moral woman. Seeing as I don't know her personally, I cannot know for sure. However, I find her actions (suing Google, requesting the personal info of her critics, getting angry over random internet idiocy that she should ignore and be bigger than, trying to get this site in trouble because of a few users' commentary on the situation, etc.) pretty ridiculous and unwarranted. If she didn't want people to to be talking about/judging her, well 1. that's impossible, she's a human, and 2. she shouldn't have been a model or agreed to be on film. AND 3. she DEFINITELY shouldn't have sued Google and made all this fuss over a few random idiots whom she probably won't ever know expressing their opinion. Mmkay? MMKAY.
09-04-2010 01:40 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Yeah, pep rallies were nearly always mandatory at my schools, but I do remember once in 9th grade I got to stay in the classroom with a few others who didn't want to go and the teacher left me in charge lol.

Pep rallies can be fun, ignoring the fact that you are forced to go. It's like a crappier version of going to a basketball game. I had fun at one pep rally once, ever. In 7th grade, I was trying not to be so shy, trying to enjoy things again (after some shit that happened when I was 10...). So I screamed and pretended to care about the school and I did all the cheers (we did these cheers where the whole school would participate). Then I'd had enough of that and every pep rally after that, I sat in the very back and read a book and didn't look up till it was over.

I hate how much I just did what they said without ever thinking if I really wanted to.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
09-04-2010 06:08 PM
DragonDusk Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

I'm glad I'll never see a pep rally in my life. They sound so stupid.

[Image: bender%20swag.gif]
[Image: dragonanimated_326089.gif] <-----
09-05-2010 09:36 AM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

We always have ours on the football field. The stadium gets packed which is pretty crazy, It's a big ass stadium I twas built in the 70's fucking mammoth of a structure It's hot as fuck and you better hope you got there early enough to get a spot at the top so you can sit behind the advertisements, They are big pieces of plywood that offer pretty good shade from the sun. Our pep rallies are alright I suppose. Last year the band played this is halloween form nightmare before christmas and then all the jocks and cheerleaders dance to some shitty compilation of music.
09-05-2010 10:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Thought Criminal Wrote:We always have ours on the football field. The stadium gets packed which is pretty crazy, It's a big ass stadium I twas built in the 70's fucking mammoth of a structure It's hot as fuck and you better hope you got there early enough to get a spot at the top so you can sit behind the advertisements, They are big pieces of plywood that offer pretty good shade from the sun. Our pep rallies are alright I suppose. Last year the band played this is halloween form nightmare before christmas and then all the jocks and cheerleaders dance to some shitty compilation of music.
Ah, our football team danced to single ladies last pep rally. Which was ear rape, but lulzy as fuck at the same time.

This year, we actually get to watch. They have this tradition, they exclude Freshmen out of everything. At the pep rally, we would sit and stare at their backs as the pep rally was going on. Which is bullshit. Seriously, everyone is complaining that the upperclassmen mistreat freshmen, and that we need to "stop bullying" But then the school basically gives everyone the OK. What the hell?

Faith o' Meter
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
09-05-2010 10:32 AM
యూజర్ పేరు Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Pep rallies are a pretty good waste of time. The main reason people like them is because our football team is fucking awesome and doesn't lose.

Generally you're allowed to sit wherever you want, and at any given time either half of the people will be facing one side and half will be facing the other, or they will be facing the area in between both sets of bleachers. So there's no real exclusion of anyone.
09-05-2010 11:01 AM
MorikoMisa Offline
Fanatic

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

CrayolaColours Wrote:Ah, our football team danced to single ladies last pep rally.
You have no idea how jealous I am right now...no idea.

*SPARKLING* *DOUCHEBUCKETS.*
09-06-2010 05:51 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

MorikoMisa Wrote:
CrayolaColours Wrote:Ah, our football team danced to single ladies last pep rally.
It was fricken great. I lol'd heartily.

Faith o' Meter
09-06-2010 05:58 AM
MorikoMisa Offline
Fanatic

CrayolaColours Wrote:
MorikoMisa Wrote:
Is there anyone named 'Kurt' on your football team? *Hopeful face*

09-06-2010 06:24 AM
Jordbaer Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

My school's football team is sucking this year, though. Razz They've played about 4 games so far and haven't won a single one yet.

At least they aren't after school like last year, though. (And they were still mandatory!) At my school, you can't sit wherever you want. You have to sit with your grade, and all except two of my friends are in different grades than me. It's crowded and hot and just... unpleasant.
09-06-2010 08:59 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

MorikoMisa Wrote:
CrayolaColours Wrote:
MorikoMisa Wrote:You have no idea how jealous I am right now...no idea.
Not that I know of.

Jordbaer Wrote:At least they aren't after school like last year, though. (And they were still mandatory!)
That's bullshit!

Faith o' Meter
09-06-2010 09:37 AM
MorikoMisa Offline
Fanatic

CrayolaColours Wrote:
MorikoMisa Wrote:
CrayolaColours Wrote:It was fricken great. I lol'd heartily.
Not that I know of.
I am ever so slightly less jealous now.

09-06-2010 10:17 AM
genuine anarchist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

I fucking hate my pep rallies. The first one of the school year is coming up, and our uniform is even stricter than usual. Seniors have to wear blue polos (it used to be black), juniors get black, sophomores get red, and freshmen wear white. With khakis. And belt and close-toed shoes. Fucking principal; what is his deal with dress code? We had a reasonable one before, but he fucks it all up instead of focusing on what's actually wrong with the school, like the asshole kids and the teachers that really don't teach shit and use their students for their own gain.

Anyway, the pep rallies used to be during 8th period, the last class of the day. They were usually mandatory, but most seniors with that period off just ditched. You know, because apparently it's wrong to use your off period to go off campus and shit. So now they're during 7th period, so no one can ditch. Plus, we get to go back to our class after that...

Like the OP said, my pep rallies have lame games, shitty cheerleaders, asshole jocks who get more funding than the arts department, and annoying nuns who force you to pray and participate, even if you don't feel like screaming. I usually text discreetly in the back, but I don't know if I can do that this year considering I'm not following dress code and they've banned hoodies...
09-07-2010 02:29 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Wow, your dress code sounds like mine... but moar stupid. We can wear white, or any shade of blue polo (It used to be only navy and light blue, but since the states about to bitch slap their asses for caring more about the dress code than they care about grades, they're kinda like "FIEN, YOU WIN!" So they don't lose their jobs.

Faith o' Meter
09-07-2010 02:44 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Pep Rallies/Spirit Assemblies PlagueMeister 13 10,575 04-18-2017 06:21 AM
Last Post: James Comey