RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School is creepy.
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Given 340 thank(s) in 182 post(s)
School is creepy.

The government mandates that you must send your child to a designated government facility from child to young adult, where they will be required to sit down, shut up, and listen to government tailored knowledge, eat government tailored food, (possibly) wear government tailored clothing, and follow a huge list of rules.

If your child attempts to leave this facility during operational hours, the police will be notified and the child will be picked up and forced back into the facility where they will receive punishment.

If the parent wishes to spend more time with their child, they could possibly be taken to court for excessive truancy. In some places, it is illegal to homeschool your child. The government literally fucking tells parents they're not allowed to be with their children.

How the fuck does anyone, anywhere, find this okay? How the fuck are parents okay with this?

I always found this utterly mind-boggling. Like... holy shit.

People argue a lot about the pros and cons of school. But those are just minor details, at the end of the day... holy fuck. The government separates children from their parents and places them in a semi-comfortable prison (a building they are not allowed to leave and many basic rights afforded to citizens are revoked), and it's illegal if the child doesn't spend enough time in this building. <<< HOW THE FUCK DOES ANYONE AGREE WITH THIS?

RIP GORE GOROTH

He was an hero. He will always be remembered.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2014 04:08 PM by Desu.)
01-12-2014 04:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: no , Ky , The man , sswbm
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

Given 317 thank(s) in 184 post(s)
RE: School is creepy.

Easy. They've been raised to. It's an integeral part of society, which many things are connected to. It's the law of the land.

Sub's Mental Log!
We've had a lot of fun, guys.
Fulltime Member, 2013-2014

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
01-12-2014 04:11 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Did you know that current military training is intended to make troops less hesitant in killing their fellow man by making the act of shooting another human being a mechanical response(via conditioning during training)? Yep. Humans are actually resistant to killing each other. When training with bullseye targets or drills, soldiers often never shot to kill another human being(when not imminently necessary). However, when trained with human shaped targets, their body instinctly remembers there training and shoots to kill even if the mind did not intend it.

Makes you wonder what other types of conditioning the government is up to...

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
01-12-2014 04:59 PM
 Thanks given by: The man
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

If parents want to homeschool/unschool, they can (in the US.)

Millions do.

It's also worth noting that there are a variety of kinds of schools. Saying "school is bad" overlooks that point.

So, school can be creepy, but, when it's done well, and it's a good fit for a learner, it's not necessarily creepy.

And, honestly, having a place to go away from one's parents is not necessarily a bad thing... it tends to be desirable as people grow up.

So, the question is, how can steps be taken to transition away from unpleasant, factory-model schools, to new forms of learning environments? How can parents and educators change their thinking from the traditional factory-model approach? How can teachers earn a living supporting new kinds of learning environments, instead of being classroom managers?

Lots of people are talking about all this, writing about it, and taking steps to bring about change. Some are actually living this new reality already. This New School Creation MOOC is one example, as have a number of other edu-MOOCs, talks, books,and articles. Anyone stuck in the factory-model paradigm, and not happy there, is better off learning about all this transformation, and taking part in it, rather than just conceptualizing school as a creepy, government-imposed legality. There's a lot more to it than that, and there are -- or can be -- options, like founding schools that work in different ways, unschooling, and simply learning outside of school.

Thoughts?

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
01-13-2014 02:08 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(01-12-2014 04:04 PM)Desu Wrote:  How the fuck does anyone, anywhere, find this okay? How the fuck are parents okay with this?

I always found this utterly mind-boggling. Like... holy shit.

Part of the answer here is, a good number of people like or tolerate school-as-usual. Not everyone's minds work the same. Many of them probably find it mind-boggling that anyone would call school a prison!

That's where perspective-taking is a useful skill to employ, as well as learning about how people's minds and preferences differ.

Another explanation is that many people think school, good or bad, is just a requirement for making it in the world. Others think the misery is is an actual step in preparing for adult life. So, there are a variety of explanations.

The question is then, beyond understanding those perspectives in more depth, what do do about it all.

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 02:17 AM by xcriteria.)
01-13-2014 02:17 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

One way to explore these questions is to look at the High School Survey of Student Engagement (HSSSE.)

Here's one relevant section:

[Image: why_go_to_school.png]
[Image: why_go_to_school_2.png]

(From pages 5-6 of http://ceep.indiana.edu/hssse/images/HSS...Report.pdf)

So, a key reason people go to school (and parents send their kids to school) is the perceived benefits in terms of a pathway to college, a career, and the like. So, even though many students cite boredom or lack of learning in school, they see an overall benefit for being there (and/or their parents do, and make them go.)

One critical factor there is people's perception (and, somewhat the reality) of the value of formal credentials when it comes to finding work. But, this "school-degree-job" narrative isn't working out for everyone, and there are a number of other paths in life as well. There are also, potentially, other ways to get the same credentials than suffering through (or spending all that time in) factory-model, spoon-fed classes.

This article by venture capitalist Michael Staton explains some of that: The Degree is Doomed.

There are also starting to be alternative paths to actual degrees, like this: College Degree, No Class Time Required

And, there are simply other paths to earning a living, though it certainly depends what career track you have in mind.

It's long past time to change things for people who can't stand school, that's for sure.

Hidden stuff:
01-13-2014 02:34 AM
Lime Offline
Revolutionary

Given 84 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
School is creepy.

Quote:Did you know that current military training is intended to make troops less hesitant in killing their fellow man by making the act of shooting another human being a mechanical response(via conditioning during training)? Yep. Humans are actually resistant to killing each other. When training with bullseye targets or drills, soldiers often never shot to kill another human being(when not imminently necessary). However, when trained with human shaped targets, their body instinctly remembers there training and shoots to kill even if the mind did not intend it.

Makes you wonder what other types of conditioning the government is up to...
I'd rather teach them that the people they're shooting are human beings, and that they need to be morally comfortable with pulling the trigger because of an honest reason. ("This guy is doing bad, even if he's not inherently evil, this is the only way he can be prevented from doing more harm" rather than "He's not human" or "Well, I don't really know much but the government tells me they're bad".) Course, I'm not sure how well that would work out-certainly the military could have more trouble getting its soldiers to follow orders.

It's not really a problem for front-line soldiers though because most anybody will shoot to stop a threat. It's more important for snipers, who may need to take out seemingly innocuous targets who aren't targeting them or visibly harming anything.

As for school, I think we have some priorities:
-Preservation of human rights and freedom (not some trivial crap that doesn't help the average student at all)
-Useful learning
-Right to quit or stay home for any amount of time, provided they accept the consequences-namely, missing out on learning, and not anything else
-Reduced involuntary unpaid child labor mandatory schoolwork
-If you set up a system like this, then actually give teachers a decent salary

Funny thing is how pretty much everyone knows that people don't like school, and yet they think it's all good for them and they've got some mental issues if they hate it. I guess most of the student population is insane.

Those that do try to help almost always avoid, as Peter Gray describes it, the elephant in the room. The improvements from school reformers and such are a start, but frankly many students probably couldn't care less about them. They want to be treated as Homo Sapiens rather than a factory product, and more of a different kind of forced work is not helping.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 04:36 AM by Lime.)
01-13-2014 04:24 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

No specie is ever comfortable killing its own for any idea or belief. You cant really ever justify killing a fellow human no matter how wrong or evil they are. Hell, people have long-lasting psychological harm when they justifiable kill someone. Killing in self-defense is still hard to accept.

Its why training the body to kill is more effective. Training the mind is not as easy task. Sure, they have propaganda and all, but when looking into the face of your enemy and seeing another human being, killing doesnt come as easily.(at least to the new guys or psychologically healthy. Psychopaths and wary veterans might grow accustom to the fact they have to kill. And maybe the idealist would kill, though how they feel after is another quesfion)

I think the public has been pretty much "conditioned" to school. Like said, people might know whats wrong with the current system, yet still think its right because of how such a thought has been instilled into them.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
01-13-2014 06:13 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(01-13-2014 06:13 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  I think the public has been pretty much "conditioned" to school. Like said, people might know whats wrong with the current system, yet still think its right because of how such a thought has been instilled into them.

I think it's also the case that people don't see immediate practical steps they could take to do things differently. (Many people don't want to homeschool, they want some professionals managing their kids' education, and most professionals have been trained in classroom management, and most teaching jobs are defined and paid for by factory model schools.)

It's a thorny, complex puzzle. And it's painfully complicated to make sense of even for those who spend a huge amount of time trying to make sense of it.

See The principles that school REALLY tries to teach for some thoughts on how to make sense of it.

Hidden stuff:
01-13-2014 07:32 AM
 Thanks given by: Ky
154bmag Offline
One in a million

Given 93 thank(s) in 55 post(s)
School is creepy.

People just tolerate school, they assume it's for the best.

"When will the world listen to reason? I have a feeling it'll be a long time." --Dexter Holland

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows as government grows, liberty decreases. " --Thomas Jefferson
01-13-2014 01:12 PM
Lime Offline
Revolutionary

Given 84 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
School is creepy.

Quote:No specie is ever comfortable killing its own for any idea or belief.
Plenty are, I'd say.
Quote:You cant really ever justify killing a fellow human no matter how wrong or evil they are.
You all will excuse me for digging into philosophy, but I find unwavering pacifism naive. I don't think there is any unconditional rule that killing people is wrong no matter what; it just doesn't make sense morally or logically.
Quote:Killing in self-defense is still hard to accept.
Not at the moment, I wouldn't think. It seems to be more of a "Shoot first and ask questions later" sort of thing.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2014 09:02 AM by Lime.)
01-14-2014 09:01 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

Nice try, derailers.

(01-13-2014 07:32 AM)xcriteria Wrote:  
(01-13-2014 06:13 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  I think the public has been pretty much "conditioned" to school. Like said, people might know whats wrong with the current system, yet still think its right because of how such a thought has been instilled into them.

I think it's also the case that people don't see immediate practical steps they could take to do things differently. (Many people don't want to homeschool, they want some professionals managing their kids' education, and most professionals have been trained in classroom management, and most teaching jobs are defined and paid for by factory model schools.)

It's a thorny, complex puzzle. And it's painfully complicated to make sense of even for those who spend a huge amount of time trying to make sense of it.

See The principles that school REALLY tries to teach for some thoughts on how to make sense of it.

Indeed. I wonder why society finds the path of least resistance to be the path that gives students and teachers a hell of a lot of resistance.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
01-14-2014 09:07 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(01-14-2014 09:01 AM)Lime Wrote:  
Quote:No specie is ever comfortable killing its own for any idea or belief.
Plenty are, I'd say.
Quote:You cant really ever justify killing a fellow human no matter how wrong or evil they are.
You all will excuse me for digging into philosophy, but I find unwavering pacifism naive. I don't think there is any unconditional rule that killing people is wrong no matter what; it just doesn't make sense morally or logically.
Quote:Killing in self-defense is still hard to accept.
Not at the moment, I wouldn't think. It seems to be more of a "Shoot first and ask questions later" sort of thing.

Im not saying humans cant kill humans.

Im saying humans cant kill humans and continue about their day like nothing ever happened. Wonder why police have to go through counseling after killing someone? You cant disregard the data collected. Psychologically we cant really handle killing another human, so we try to appease ourselves with excuses and reasons. If we could handle it, we wouldnt need to remind ourselves why we did what we did. We'd kill when necessary, and move on with our lives like nothing ever happened.

So Im not talking about pacifism, nor morals nor logic. Im talking about the psychology of killing another human being. Generally, only a psychopath without empathy will kill another human and actually feel comfortable doing it. Soldiers might seem comfortable doing it but that's mostly the training and displine. They still arent exactly keen on killing but consider it part of the job. Also might explain why some just snap about seeing too much killing and death.

And this ties in with schooling because people end up considering it another part of life, a part of the job/duty/responsibility. Who cares if it makes sense or not, whether it works or not, because I went through it, you're going through it, and they'll go through it. Obviously this is a case of applying present thought to the future.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
01-14-2014 03:30 PM
James Comey Away
Banished Oldfaf in Exile

Given 2293 thank(s) in 1517 post(s)

I probably should've replied to this thread, but hey, why not now?

I agree. When you're able to free yourself from the mind prison that is school, you start to look at it in a completely different way. You can't help but think of all the negative things that school does that completely overtakes the positives. Desu, not only is school creepy in the points you made, but school is creepier in other ways as well.

I find school to be seriously creepy because it teaches not only obey and survive, but herd mentality. Basically, follow the leader, because the leader is right. I think the fact that school is pretty much based on herd mentality, of following, the reason why bullying is such a problem. School pretty much makes it whenever one person is getting made fun of or acting weird, to universally pan that person and make their life a living hell. School doesn't teach you to experience what others have gone through, to learn that their life is as vivid as your's. That's another reason why I find school to be very creepy.

And another good reason I find school to be creepy is because it stresses, in spite of everything, school is the right way to learn, that school is for your own good, and that the benefits of school will outweigh the negatives. I find that to be very creepy, that I have to turn into a drone in order to please everyone.

That, alongside with Desu's original reasons, is why school is motherfucking creepy.

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP VONUNOV
RIP WES/THEWAKE
RIP USERNAME

[Image: Nas-One-Love.jpg]

Stop jerking off to porn and whining and do something about it

Make School Survival Great Again - MSSGA

Hidden stuff:

[Image: BallsofSteel2.png]
[Image: mg_michelle_2020.png]
03-05-2014 01:40 PM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

You guys barely have the tip of the icaberg as far has why public school is morally reprehensible and detrimental to humanity as a whole. The more you read into it's history, the worse it gets. Public school wasn't conceived to make us smarter, or more successful. Quite the opposite in fact. It's all bullshit. The founders of public school such as John Dewey, Horace Mann, etc... even outright admit this. This isn't even a conspiracy theory. It's basic history (which your textbooks conveniently left out). And yet a such tiny percent of the American population actually knows this very basic piece of history. Even worse, we all pretend like public education is some kind of Godsend and it helps us.

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
03-05-2014 08:32 PM
craxyguy562 Offline
Pariah

Given 133 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

If school is suppose to train you to like school and be a drone how come I'm not a drone who likes school? I've been in school for a while now.

[Image: gUJMoO7.png]

Hidden stuff:
Homework brings the hell of school home.

Gwedin Wrote:  Dat feel when you get home, realise it's Friday, and itch your buttcrack.
03-06-2014 01:19 AM
darkmind15 Offline
cynic

Given 17 thank(s) in 15 post(s)
School is creepy.

schools are just another form of a corrupted system they want to keep us in line while trying to make it seem like we are free
03-06-2014 01:22 AM
James Comey Away
Banished Oldfaf in Exile

School is creepy.

School is also creepy in the fact that it actively tries to manipulate your thoughts and actions.

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP VONUNOV
RIP WES/THEWAKE
RIP USERNAME

Hidden stuff:

05-16-2017 03:38 AM
Depression101 Offline
Freedom Fighter

Given 273 thank(s) in 172 post(s)
School is creepy.

And the fact that it succeeds with most people is fucking horrifying.

"Then it was straight to the 40 ouncers/ slapping teachers and jacking off in front of my counselors." As the World Turns - Eminem.

"A man is a success if gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between does whatever he does what he wants to do." - Bob Dylan.

"A good artist should be isolated. If he isn't isolated, something is wrong." - Orson Welles.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons, even death may die." - H.P. Lovecraft.

"I became insane, with long intervals of painful sanity." Edgar Allan Poe.
05-16-2017 06:10 AM
James Comey Away
Banished Oldfaf in Exile

School is creepy.

It's the greatest brainwashing program out there.

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP VONUNOV
RIP WES/THEWAKE
RIP USERNAME

Hidden stuff:

05-16-2017 07:09 AM
Depression101 Offline
Freedom Fighter

School is creepy.

MK Ultra looks like Dora the Explora in comparison with school.

Fun fact: Ken Kesey, author of 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", voluntary partook in project MK Ultra and worked as a night janitor in a sanitarium. But, when reading the novel or watching the movie, you might as well swap the nut-house with school. The connection is somewhere there, but I'm too lazy to find it. I only had four hours sleep in the last day, and I'm planning on an all-nighter.

"Then it was straight to the 40 ouncers/ slapping teachers and jacking off in front of my counselors." As the World Turns - Eminem.

"A man is a success if gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between does whatever he does what he wants to do." - Bob Dylan.

"A good artist should be isolated. If he isn't isolated, something is wrong." - Orson Welles.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons, even death may die." - H.P. Lovecraft.

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2017 07:15 AM by Depression101.)
05-16-2017 07:11 AM
James Comey Away
Banished Oldfaf in Exile

School is creepy.

School might as well be the fucking Matrix.

I really need to buy that Inglis book.

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP VONUNOV
RIP WES/THEWAKE
RIP USERNAME

Hidden stuff:

05-16-2017 07:14 AM
The man Offline
Resistance Leader

Given 104 thank(s) in 92 post(s)

(05-16-2017 07:11 AM)Depression101 Wrote:  MK Ultra looks like Dora the Explora in comparison with school.

Fun fact: Ken Kesey, author of 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", voluntary partook in project MK Ultra and worked as a night janitor in a sanitarium. But, when reading the novel or watching the movie, you might as well swap the nut-house with school. The connection is somewhere there, but I'm too lazy to find it. I only had four hours sleep in the last day, and I'm planning on an all-nighter.

their pee should hv been shot out like a ki blast breaking the rocks

oh and also No one has any rights. We're free, rights create invisible restrictions. But we live in a society where the majority accepts rights to be true.
05-16-2017 07:15 AM
James Comey Away
Banished Oldfaf in Exile

School is creepy.

DAMN IT DEPRESSION101 YOU NEED MORE COFFEE TO THINK

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP VONUNOV
RIP WES/THEWAKE
RIP USERNAME

Hidden stuff:

05-16-2017 07:15 AM
Depression101 Offline
Freedom Fighter

School is creepy.

Alexander Inglis? The guy who wrote the Principals of Secondary Education?

More coffee to drink? I just got myself these coffee pills. Basically coffee frozen into a candy thing that melts in your mouth. It has some Russian brand name. And it kicks like a fucking mule.

(This post was last modified: 05-16-2017 07:23 AM by Depression101.)
05-16-2017 07:19 AM
James Comey Away
Banished Oldfaf in Exile

School is creepy.

Yeah that guy. I really want to get that book now.

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP VONUNOV
RIP WES/THEWAKE
RIP USERNAME

Hidden stuff: