RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Can somebody fucking tell me how the FUCK do you get a FUCKING JOB!?!?!?
Night Offline
Queen Mod

Given 372 thank(s) in 211 post(s)

I. AM. SO. PISSED.

I'm tired. I'm so sick and so tired and so pissed off. And I'm so close to being done. Just saying fuck it.

Lets get some background here. In 2012, Connecticut's youth unemployment rate was 17.1%. That's for 16 to 24 year olds. For 25 to 54 year olds... 7.4%. But that doesn't take into account the people are employed, but have shitty jobs because that's literally all there fucking is. I have a friend, 27, works part time cleaning and some cooking and bussing at a restaurant for minimum wage ($8.25). My brother, 31, graduated from a technical highschool for automotive, a part time cook, don't know pay. I have one other friend who has a job working at Dunkin donuts and she's 18. Oh, and none of these people live in my town. And all of these people at least know how to drive and at least 2 of them have their own car (not sure if my youngest friend has one, but i think she might).

I've literally got everything stacked against me. It's like a brick wall with a cemented shut door and sign saying "Jobs here" I'm stuck and I've got no where to go.

And you know, it might help if I at least know how to look for a fucking job. But nobody fucking helps me. They literally ALL say the exact same thing. "Just look for one" "you have to call" "keep looking" "look" "look" "look" "call" "call" "call" "fill an application" Blah blah blah. Same old bullshit.
I don't know how to look
I don't know how to call
and I don't fucking know how to fill an application

"Oh try looking online or in the classifieds!"
Ok I'll try that.
must have 3 years experience. Must have a valid drivers license. Must have a car. Must be 18 or older. Must have this degree that literally does nothing to help you with this job.
How do you fill an application? Wut? "Oh just put what it says to" What the fuck do you mean put what it says to?
"If hired, can you provide proof that you are legally entitled to work in the U.S.?" Dafuq does this mean!?
"If no, earned GED?" Dafuq do i put if i'm about to!?

And then with calling. Like Oh my god. Why do people say "apply and call" "call" Like what do you fucking mean call!? How do I call? When do I call? How often do I call? What do i say? How do i not sound like a complete fucking idiot? How do i prevent myself from having a panic attack? I mean, I can't even order a fucking pizza! Let alone be like "hey, so like.. do you wanna hire me?"

Agghhhhh

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
11-30-2013 09:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: xcriteria , no , kaylankonnor
Gwedin Offline
dumb shithead

Given 559 thank(s) in 410 post(s)

This is why I fucking dread the day when I graduate from high school.
11-30-2013 10:02 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I don't know jack shit, but maybe something in here will help?

http://www.school-survival.net/alternati...amples.php

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
11-30-2013 11:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

"Why?" is easy:
[Image: make-it-rain-guys.gif]

It's just that in these days, good jobs are almost impossible to get for entry level people(aka the younger folk). It's all just shitty cashier/waiter/service-to-other jobs. Or it's some form of back-breaking manual labor. They also have security officer but that market depends on your location, and you need some cash on hand to get a license. And that's a bit dangerous for the pay they give(between 9-12 an hour for new guys), even though you could say it's not as back-breaking or service oriented.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
11-30-2013 12:23 PM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)
RE: Can somebody fucking tell me how the FUCK do you get a FUCKING JOB!?!?!?

If you have no experience then it makes it hard for employers to want to hire you. They see the time needed to train you is far more costly and time consuming for them than to hire someone who is already experienced. As for me, I'd go for volunteer work first. Volunteer work looks good on a resume and it shows future employers that you have served the community in the past.

http://www.volunteermatch.org/ (Found this, though you can look up "volunteer" or "volunteer work" on Google maps and take it from there.)

Once you feel certain that you've done enough volunteer work you can move on to finding and securing an actual job (whether that is part time, full, temporary, etc) I've founds some sites to help you get started:

Job Searching

* http://www.indeed.com

* http://www.reddit.com/r/forhire/

* http://www.monster.com

* http://www.reddit.com/r/YoungJobs

* http://jobsearch.about.com/

* http://www.reddit.com/r/workonline

Monster's a bit more complicated,since you have to build a profile, but you can get attracted faster if you have tons of experience and education.

Resume/Cover Letter Building

* http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Resume

* http://www.livecareer.com/resume-builder#.UpmfPCdCjJc

* http://jobsearch.about.com/od/coverletters/

* http://jobsearch.about.com/od/resumes/

* http://www.reddit.com/r/resumes

* http://jobsearch.about.com/od/resumes/a/resumeguide.htm

* http://www.school-survival.net/alternati...amples.php (Made by Aya)

Interviews

* http://jobsearch.about.com/od/interviewsnetworking/

Interviews are important and making sure you're ready and determined to be a asset to the company in question is essential. Employers pick up on everything you say and do during an interview and it's best to leave a good impression so the odds that they want to hire you goes up. Make them want you, not the other way around.

These are only suggestions though. Since unemployment for youth is high and jobs themselves seem shitty, these sites may only a bit helpful for you. Good luck anyways.

Previously known as Derchin.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2013 06:45 PM by Miller0700.)
11-30-2013 06:37 PM
 Thanks given by: xcriteria , kaylankonnor , Lady A
vonunov Offline
Badgrr

Given 186 thank(s) in 126 post(s)

(11-30-2013 09:51 AM)Night Wrote:  And you know, it might help if I at least know how to look for a fucking job. But nobody fucking helps me. They literally ALL say the exact same thing. "Just look for one" "you have to call" "keep looking" "look" "look" "look" "call" "call" "call" "fill an application" Blah blah blah. Same old bullshit.
I don't know how to look
I don't know how to call
and I don't fucking know how to fill an application

The Craigslist jobs and gigs sections for your area are good places to start. Most times they just want you to e-mail or fill out the online application form. If they want phone calls they'll provide the number there. Most fields on an application will be self-explanatory, but if not, just Google what it says and someone else will probably have asked what it means already.

Writing a good cover letter and resume is a bit more involved but still no big deal. See http://www.reddit.com/r/jobs for that. There's lots of good info in the sidebar there. It also helps to just leisurely Google things like "How to write a cover letter", "how to act at an interview", "what not to put on your resume", etc., as people in the know write about these things all the time.

You might also consider joining a course at the nearest college, or whatever it is you have to do to be eligible for the work study program.

Quote: must have 3 years experience. Must have a valid drivers license. Must have a car. Must be 18 or older. Must have this degree that literally does nothing to help you with this job.

That's their wishful thinking, but they'll often have to settle. It's like haggling in the East. There's no way you're going to pay that much for a knockoff shirt, and there's no way this employer is going to get exactly the skill set they're demanding at the pay rate they're offering, but in both cases you start at the ideal and let yourself get worked down as far as it's still acceptable. You have no chance of getting the job if you don't apply, so you have to find what you have out of what they want and accentuate it, and fudge or ignore the rest for now. Sometimes you can either tell the truth or get the job. Can I make it to the group interview at this specific date and time only? Absolutely! Haha, I don't fucking know. But the only option was to say yes and figure it out from there. Shifts could be anywhere from 0600 to midnight and it's a two-hour bus ride away? Fantastic! [Image: jUBltdo.gif]

If you take everything in the job posting seriously, you'll never manage to apply, so find something that looks like a good time and apply anyway. What's the worst case scenario? You won't get the job, which is what was already happening before you applied. I'm not saying you should spend your time applying to jobs you're obviously unqualified for; rather, find ones you could do and disregard the HR fluff in the ad. Maybe you'll get the job and it'll turn out that no one ever asked you about any of the stuff you were worried about.

Quote:How do you fill an application? Wut? "Oh just put what it says to" What the fuck do you mean put what it says to?
"If hired, can you provide proof that you are legally entitled to work in the U.S.?" Dafuq does this mean!?

Yes, it's mostly self-explanatory, but some parts can be confusing or provide you with a way to stop yourself getting the job.
For that question, the answer would be yes if you were born here, legally immigrated, etc., and the proof would be your social security and state ID cards, green card, whatever you have of that sort.

For an entry-level position in retail, food service, and so on, you'll usually see the same parts in every application: Personal and contact info, education and employment histories, and references—besides the mandatory stuff like the questions of whether you can perform the job duties and are allowed to work in this country, EEOC surveys, etc. For jobs like these, you'll probably not be asked for a resume, but it happens sometimes. There may also be a questionnaire about your morality and social skills and such.

When describing your job history, it's often not obvious that you should use this section to list any experience you've had that's relevant to the position, including volunteer work, personal projects, and freelancing. Just give it a little fluffing and "professional" language and do what you have to do to make it fit into the application form. You "Provided lawn care services, maintained a large customer base, and assisted the co-owner in managing company finances," not "Mowed lawns with my brother every summer and had plenty of work because we were the only ones around who were offering."

The references are another potentially tricky part that I was getting wrong for quite some time. Some application forms will ask for work references, which does clarify the important part: These should all be people you've worked with, not your mother or friend. Unless he'll lie and say he worked with you and talk about how punctual and hard-working you were. He'd just better be good at it though. The trouble is that a lot of the people who talk about how they're good at lying aren't.

If there's a questionnaire about things like whether you enjoy being in crowds or would report a coworker for petty theft, the answers will be used directly to determine whether the manager is allowed to hire you, and the preference for you relative to other applicants. This is no time for honest introspection; you'll most likely have to lie on this part as well. I think they've changed it now, but if you'd applied to Walmart a few years back, you would have found that theirs was provided by Unicru, the answers to which can be found here. Even if the place you're applying to doesn't use the same material, you can use your knowledge of the general principles of these tests, or search that page for similar questions to what you get.

Quote:"If no, earned GED?" Dafuq do i put if i'm about to!?

Don't do anything that will get your application filtered out by automated systems or tossed by hiring managers. In this case, I would recommend checking "yes" and explaining it later if you get an interview.

Quote:And then with calling. Like Oh my god. Why do people say "apply and call" "call" Like what do you fucking mean call!? How do I call? When do I call? How often do I call? What do i say? How do i not sound like a complete fucking idiot? How do i prevent myself from having a panic attack? I mean, I can't even order a fucking pizza! Let alone be like "hey, so like.. do you wanna hire me?"

Most of the time, when you apply for a job online, they'll tell you if they want you to call and give you the number. Sometimes they positively don't want you to place a follow-up call; if they say so in the job posting, avoid calling anyway because then they won't consider you. If it doesn't say not to call, it probably can't hurt to try. It looks like it may be best to call in the morning. There's also some info about which day is best for job applications but it seems a bit inconsistent.

If you're applying to a chain, you should be able to find a phone number on Google Maps or using the store finder on the company's website.

The conversation might go something like this:

[Image: jUBltdo.gif] Wally World, how can I help you?
[Image: cbuVE3V.gif] Good morning, is the hiring manager available?
[Image: jUBltdo.gif]Sure, just a moment.
[Image: jUBltdo.gif]Hi, this is Manny Gerr.
[Image: cbuVE3V.gif]Hello, Mr. Gerr. This is Joe Blow. I recently sent in an application, and I just wanted to make sure you received that okay and see if you're looking for any help at the moment.

That's how you start it off, but at this point it could go anywhere. He might say the position has been filled or he needs more time to review your application, or he might ask you some questions and schedule an interview. Again, try to answer less like an honest person and more like a person who's getting that job. I'm not saying you should tell some wild lies that will surely be noticed later, but if they ask you something like whether you can get there to work whatever shift you're scheduled for, and you're not sure, that's 100% the wrong answer, even if it's true. You say yes and figure it out later, day by day if you have to.

How often? One time. Once you have that conversation with the manager, you'll have been told no, invited for an interview, or asked to wait for them. If you're waiting for them to review your application, it'll do no good to call again and potentially annoy them. I'd call again after a good couple of weeks if I were left hanging with no time estimate and I really wanted that job, but you have to judge whether the situation calls for it.

Smile on the phone. It makes an audible difference. I don't know about the panic attack, but if you have any as-needed meds for that, now's the time. I get nervous and talk too fast if I make the mistake of walking around while on the phone instead of sitting, so if you're doing that, it could help to change it. Looking for a job can be a pretty tense affair, so it's no big deal if you're a little anxious when you call. Just take some deep breaths before you dial, slow down, and remember it's not a life or death situation.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2013 07:40 PM by vonunov.)
11-30-2013 07:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: kaylankonnor
Night Offline
Queen Mod

I love you guys

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
12-01-2013 02:03 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Volunteer is good to but theres sort of a dilemma there. If your looking for a jjob because you need the money, working for free isnt exactly something you really plan to settle for.

Its why Ive got a problem with unpaid internships. Sure you get training, but is training now go to pay for all the stuff I need money for right now?

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
12-01-2013 04:13 AM
James Comey Away
Banished Oldfaf in Exile

Given 2293 thank(s) in 1517 post(s)

Someone please pin this thread. This is actually useful, unlike most of the crap at school. Smile

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP VONUNOV
RIP WES/THEWAKE
RIP USERNAME

[Image: Nas-One-Love.jpg]

Stop jerking off to porn and whining and do something about it

Make School Survival Great Again - MSSGA

Hidden stuff:

[Image: BallsofSteel2.png]
[Image: mg_michelle_2020.png]
12-01-2013 04:56 AM
 Thanks given by: xcriteria , Zapkido , Avatar Korra
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Schools also want to slave us off with that damn community service requirements they place on you.

I understand volunteer work is all good and nice, but people expect payment or some return for their services. If I work for something, I don't do it for free. Either cash or some return service will be expected. "The good warm feeling you get" is not a useful product. I dont need to drug myself with altruism to feel happy about myself.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
12-01-2013 05:41 AM
Night Offline
Queen Mod

I guess i don't really mind volunteer work. But it's hard to find anything around here. Tiny town, mostly homes and trees. Not very many options.

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
12-01-2013 06:57 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

One interesting thing about jobs is that sometimes the better jobs are not always in the easiest place to find. Most companies(big ones) have career searches on their own websites you could search. What seems to apply for all jobs is that requirements are something like a preference. If you can persuade whoever is hiring that you're more than qualified/capable and/or at least possess the talent/abilities/passion/energy to do the work without having the requirements(like years of experience), then you stand a chance.

Of course that requires communication. Kind of like applying to college. If you get into contact and maintain communication with someone in admissions office, it'll give a face to your application and possibly influence the person going over your application(or have them influence the person going over the application) simply because they have a "connection" with you.

It's how I intend to transfer. My friend goes to that college and knows people there, so he's going to "smooth" out the process and put in a good word for me. Then I'm going to get on the phone with some people there to get some connection set up. Hopefully it'll improve my chances more than simply filling an application and sending it out.

Course you also don't want to be some annoying beggar. You want to limit your connection. Call only when you have a real question or concern you want to discuss. You don't want to harass the person looking over your application with a call everyday.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
12-01-2013 10:08 AM
 Thanks given by: kaylankonnor
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I pinned this thread, if that's ok with you, Night?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
12-01-2013 10:45 AM
James Comey Away
Banished Oldfaf in Exile

Wonder if this is useful:
Connecticut is one of the few states that allow you to deposit your plastic bottles and cans for money. That could be a useful way to make money in the meantime.

Also, you might want to wait for the summer time. Libraries are often looking to hire during this time, and I believe there is some legit pay there. I might be working in a library next summer.

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP VONUNOV
RIP WES/THEWAKE
RIP USERNAME

Hidden stuff:

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 12:32 PM by James Comey.)
12-01-2013 11:16 AM
Night Offline
Queen Mod

(12-01-2013 10:45 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  I pinned this thread, if that's ok with you, Night?

Yup fine Smile

(12-01-2013 11:16 AM)Hansgrohe Wrote:  Wonder if this is useful:
Connecticut is one of the few states that allow you to deposit your plastic bottles and cans for money. That could be a useful way to make money in the meantime.

Also, you might want to wait for the summer time. Libraries are often looking to hire during this time, and I believe there is some legit pay there. I might be working in a library next summer.

This is true. And I didn't know other states didn't have this?

I could definitly do this.. Actually I think I might. I think like it's $0.05 for cans/bottles/etc.

The only crutch is my dad goes mental whenever someone that's not him turns in the cans. His thought is that he buys them, and it's his house, he should be the one to do it.
Hidden stuff:
He's just lazy and doesn't have a job. Difference is, he's not trying at all even though he could probably find a job easier than me.

Another issue is that the closest store that has the machines is big y, and I'm still banned from big y. Technically I can call and have them lift the ban since it's been over a year (think it's been 2 years actually). That's just time, and I think technically my parents are supposed to be the ones to call.
The next nearest store is stop&shop, and it's twice the distance.
...Could almost be like getting paid to exercise >.>

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
12-01-2013 12:43 PM
david197001 Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I came across these posts and i thought, perhaps i am not alone in finding job hunting a nightmare and it seems that the UK is not the only country that sticks it to the unemployed. I have recently finished 3yrs of university and before that 1yrs college...but i now think i have wasted those years..Have applied for jobs in the field i want to work, "sorry but you need experience comes to mind" how the fuck do you get experience if no one gives you a job...so i decided to aim a bit lower and try shop work which i have a lot of experience in, but there were so many applicants with degrees far greater than mine i was fighting a losing battle, not to mention of the 30 jobs available there were more that 4000 applicants "WTF" Kinda a kick in the balls especially when you consider that the UK Government says their are lots of jobs out there and no one should be unemployed ...so i decided to aim lower once again and try for a cleaning job, well guess what a 10hr a week job on a zero hours contract had over 120 applicants..again "WTF" I am now at the stage of giving up, after all what is the point of fillingin an application form which takes 2hrs for a mediocre job you have no chance of getting...SO FUCK IT
12-05-2013 06:45 AM
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

Given 233 thank(s) in 157 post(s)

(11-30-2013 07:33 PM)Jack Wrote:  This is Joe Blow.
I have a friend who has a character named "Joe-blow". Just felt like putting that out there. Razz

You reminded me of him.

Seven crappy hours of our lives.
12-05-2013 07:27 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

(12-05-2013 06:45 AM)david197001 Wrote:  I came across these posts and i thought, perhaps i am not alone in finding job hunting a nightmare and it seems that the UK is not the only country that sticks it to the unemployed. I have recently finished 3yrs of university and before that 1yrs college...but i now think i have wasted those years..Have applied for jobs in the field i want to work, "sorry but you need experience comes to mind" how the fuck do you get experience if no one gives you a job...so i decided to aim a bit lower and try shop work which i have a lot of experience in, but there were so many applicants with degrees far greater than mine i was fighting a losing battle, not to mention of the 30 jobs available there were more that 4000 applicants "WTF" Kinda a kick in the balls especially when you consider that the UK Government says their are lots of jobs out there and no one should be unemployed ...so i decided to aim lower once again and try for a cleaning job, well guess what a 10hr a week job on a zero hours contract had over 120 applicants..again "WTF" I am now at the stage of giving up, after all what is the point of fillingin an application form which takes 2hrs for a mediocre job you have no chance of getting...SO FUCK IT

That does sound frustrating!

My first-pass reply has two parts:

(1) What would you do if you could do anything? What are your interests, goals, hopes and dreams... what have you studied (in or out of school), and what do you think you're good at?

(2) Check out this TEDx talk from Michael Horn, who addresses a similar problem as you describe in the US... many jobs waiting to be filled, and many people looking for work... and why is it that higher education can't, one way or another, resolve that problem?

Watch on YouTube

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
12-05-2013 01:20 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(12-05-2013 07:27 AM)MrJurgens Wrote:  
(11-30-2013 07:33 PM)Jack Wrote:  This is Joe Blow.
I have a friend who has a character named "Joe-blow". Just felt like putting that out there. Razz

You reminded me of him.

How so?

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog

Hidden stuff:
12-05-2013 01:21 PM
Night Offline
Queen Mod

So.. I've managed to apply to a few places.

Waiting on applying to one other place because their application require a reference (going to try and find someone to be my reference).

The probability of any of these places actually calling me back is slim.

Also.. drug tests. Agh.

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
12-18-2013 07:50 AM
scorchededge243 Away
Revolutionary

Given 20 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

(11-30-2013 10:02 AM)Gwedin Wrote:  This is why I fucking dread the day when I graduate from high school.

I feel the same, but I'm just a wee tired of the brainwashing Wink
02-14-2014 03:43 PM
scorchededge243 Away
Revolutionary

Given 20 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

I know dude, it's really sad the little guy is getting crushed by our oh so loving leaders. What I keep reading is taking charge and starting your own business. Hey, it doesn't have to be super big! Clean houses, wash cars, read to children, fix computers, etc. Or you can apply to something like Praxis or Uncollege and get educated in the right way. So I'm told.
02-14-2014 03:46 PM
queen of evil !!!!!!!!!! Offline
dj master(hates English and dating)

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

getting a job is hard they want to see your grades and all the other not important stuff

Shinigamis love apples !!!!!!!!!FuFuBiggrinBiggrinFu
02-21-2014 09:54 AM
James Comey Away
Banished Oldfaf in Exile

Uh, no. Many jobs don't care about your grades. As long as you have that diploma or the GED, you should be fine.

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP VONUNOV
RIP WES/THEWAKE
RIP USERNAME

Hidden stuff:

02-21-2014 09:56 AM
Night Offline
Queen Mod

(02-21-2014 09:54 AM)Shinigamilover1226 Wrote:  getting a job is hard they want to see your grades and all the other not important stuff

In all of the applications I've filled out, none of them wanted to see my grades.

In all of the people I've known to have a job(s) never mention anything at all about having to provide grades. And I know a lot older people who have had many jobs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure in the past couple months that I've been looking around and asking people for advice someone would've brought that up.

So either you're full of shit, or incredibly ignorant. Probably lied to by your teachers and/or parents.

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
02-21-2014 03:16 PM
 Thanks given by: xcriteria
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

In some cases, corporations will ask about college GPA. These are generally scenarios where companies are being very picky from a selection of hordes of people with high-end degrees.

I've never heard of anyone, anywhere, asking about grades from high school or before. (Except colleges, or to dissect the lie of grades.)

Hidden stuff:
02-21-2014 03:24 PM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

(02-21-2014 03:16 PM)Night Wrote:  
(02-21-2014 09:54 AM)Shinigamilover1226 Wrote:  getting a job is hard they want to see your grades and all the other not important stuff

In all of the applications I've filled out, none of them wanted to see my grades.

In all of the people I've known to have a job(s) never mention anything at all about having to provide grades. And I know a lot older people who have had many jobs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure in the past couple months that I've been looking around and asking people for advice someone would've brought that up.

So either you're full of shit, or incredibly ignorant. Probably lied to by your teachers and/or parents.
If you're applying somewhere that requires a degree and it's your first (maybe second, if the first was a short-term contract or something) job in your field, then they are interested in your grades, relevant awards, whatever. A lot of them want transcripts and everything.

From my [admittedly limited] experience, fast food and retail jobs are much more likely to ask about attendance if you're in or recently graduated high school than grades.

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
02-23-2014 01:10 PM
WalterScottDempsey Offline
Renegade

Given 51 thank(s) in 31 post(s)

Create your own opportunities.
06-02-2014 04:57 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

(06-02-2014 04:57 AM)WalterScottDempsey Wrote:  Create your own opportunities.

This is an old thread, an out-of-the-blue bump, and a near-contentless post. I know you're new here, but we (well, most of us...) try not to do that.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
06-02-2014 05:00 AM
 Thanks given by: xcriteria
WalterScottDempsey Offline
Renegade

Given 51 thank(s) in 31 post(s)

(06-02-2014 05:00 AM)DoA Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 04:57 AM)WalterScottDempsey Wrote:  Create your own opportunities.

This is an old thread, an out-of-the-blue bump, and a near-contentless post. I know you're new here, but we (well, most of us...) try not to do that.
Just saying what I had to do when I couldn't get a job. I fixed computers, mowed yards, did landscaping labor, all sorts of shit. Might not exactly build experience you can put on a resume, but it will build good references and you can discuss what you did in an interview to sell yourself. This is what I had to do in my high-unemployment area in the Detroit area.

I bumped a sticky thread with my own advice.
06-02-2014 05:13 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , Ky

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How much college fucking sucks 18fuckinghoursaday 5 7,403 02-28-2017 12:03 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  Americans are fucking stupid mother fuckers. UnschoolShqiponjë 19 23,088 01-21-2017 05:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornLionWolf
  Math is Fucking Stupid! SchoolRebel 13 28,284 01-11-2017 02:44 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  I'm fucking scared of my Algebra Regents HighSchoolFailure1337 10 7,429 06-03-2016 03:13 PM
Last Post: UnicornLionWolf
  People are so fucking stupid! Stadium 33 37,969 08-05-2015 10:11 PM
Last Post: thesupremeanarchist
  School is fucking over MurkScribe 13 6,541 06-27-2015 02:30 PM
Last Post: schoolsux
  Prison release is so fucking soon James Comey 7 4,039 05-07-2015 09:32 AM
Last Post: lisafromjackson
Exclamation FUCKING NEW RULE rustyspoonaward2000 9 3,198 12-03-2014 12:18 AM
Last Post: xcriteria
  Fucking HATE working out SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT 38 32,834 08-20-2014 10:27 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  You know what, fuck everything. I'm fucking done rockstarjim22 8 4,695 06-30-2014 12:16 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser