RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I hate my parents, not school
Rule_BreakerXVIII Offline
Revolutionary

Given 271 thank(s) in 168 post(s)

I just realized this....school is pretty easy for someone like me to get through (since i just don't give a fuck) but it's my parents who have been making things hard for me these past 10 or so years. Seriously, it's all thanks to the lack of emotional support at home that i'm who i am today- untrusting and defiant. Both of them are verbally abusive and it was clear that i couldn't trust them in anything. Noo Moreover, it was clear that they-and the rest of my relatives were trying to create problems between me and my sister by showing partiality and favoritism to her, comparing our heights, looks,etc. etc. etc. The last 17 years have been full of nothing but stupid, childish and petty insults-stuff like telling me i am nothing, worthless and stupid; it's the exact same behavior a playground bully would show. And to think i grew up with two of those- who were much more harmful since i couldn't avoid them for long.. They have been poisoning my friendships since i was a kid by manipulating my friends to spy on me for them, and i hate them both for it. i can't wait till i can legally GTFO here and start my own life.Pirate

Don't play chess with pigeons-they'll just knock over the pieces, shit on the board and strut about like they won anyway.
-the Internet

Quote:May the days and months of flowing bitterness be rewarded...
To forget!?

Unforgivable!!
11-23-2013 09:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

The parents dilemma. On one hand I like my parents as parents, albeit they had some flaws and things I disagreed with. On the other hand, I don't think I'm a fan of my parents as people.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
11-24-2013 01:23 AM
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)
RE: I hate my parents, not school

One of the roles of education, broadly conceived, is to help people experience life beyond their parents.

Ideally, educators can take the form of mentors who actually can fill in various gaps in one's home life. But, how common is that?

Of course, there are various other ways to find mentors, friends, and relationships of all kinds. But it can be tough... that's why building communities of support, like this one and beyond, is key to changing things.

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
11-24-2013 02:18 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

What are your plans as you "start your own life?"

What's your vision for how you'd like life to be?

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog

Hidden stuff:
11-24-2013 02:19 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(11-24-2013 01:23 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  The parents dilemma. On one hand I like my parents as parents, albeit they had some flaws and things I disagreed with. On the other hand, I don't think I'm a fan of my parents as people.

That's an interesting distinction, and analysis. What do you like about them as parents?

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2013 02:21 AM by xcriteria.)
11-24-2013 02:20 AM
Asder Miller The Second Offline
Anonymous Supporter

Given 17 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

omg dude ur life is just like me! my parents scream at me, and hate everything i do, and when i talk they say "oh jesus"

School isnt as bad as you think
11-25-2013 12:33 PM
Revolutionary

wRE: I hate my parents, not school

(11-24-2013 02:19 AM)xcriteria Wrote:  What are your plans as you "start your own life?"

What's your vision for how you'd like life to be?

Same old, really- get a job, go to uni and move out. I want people who are not asshats with multiple complexes in my life, and i want to be free of the "my house, my rules" shit that my parents use to justify themselves when i try to talk to them.

Don't play chess with pigeons-they'll just knock over the pieces, shit on the board and strut about like they won anyway.
-the Internet

To forget!?

Unforgivable!!
11-26-2013 12:28 PM
Revolutionary

(11-24-2013 02:20 AM)xcriteria Wrote:  
(11-24-2013 01:23 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  The parents dilemma. On one hand I like my parents as parents, albeit they had some flaws and things I disagreed with. On the other hand, I don't think I'm a fan of my parents as people.

That's an interesting distinction, and analysis. What do you like about them as parents?

I can understand them as people, but that does not negate the hurt they routinely cause with their words and actions. Oh-and by understanding i do not mean that i agree with them. Me and my parents are fundamentally different (maybe that is one of the causes of my rift with them, but they as the adults should've understood that different isn't wrong ) and i am not a big fan of them as people either.

-the Internet

To forget!?

Unforgivable!!
11-26-2013 12:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I can't hate school enough Sunflower 7 6,865 06-24-2017 08:53 PM
Last Post: stevehein
  i hate school so much.. lonelypanda 3 2,579 03-02-2017 12:26 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  My parents think im selling pills at school. L0KI 8 2,947 02-22-2017 01:19 AM
Last Post: L0KI
  I Hate School Guest 13 4,370 01-21-2017 08:54 AM
Last Post: Marlena403
  Parents wanting school to be demolished. DrGordonFreeman 4 2,614 01-14-2017 06:43 AM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  Is it OK that kids hate school? lisafromjackson 12 7,154 01-03-2017 08:11 AM
  [Quiz] How much do you hate school? SoulRiser 16 9,840 12-19-2016 12:16 PM
  What to do if you hate school [WIP] SoulRiser 5 4,469 12-11-2016 06:32 PM
Last Post: xcriteria
  Question: Why, in particular, do you hate school? xcriteria 27 12,582 07-31-2016 09:56 AM
Last Post: DreamRebel
  I HATE SCHOOL SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!! >:( fish20 6 9,997 07-17-2016 12:56 AM
Last Post: Lucas Gallindo