RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gen-ed, College And Me.
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
Gen-ed, College And Me.

Is it me, or does every support for the existence of mandatory gen-ed reek of patriotic bullshit? Sutff about being "a good citizen/employee/spouse/teacher/parent" or being "well-rounded" or "open-minded?

Why do I ask? Because why must someone who is quite open-minded, definitely well-rounded, already a good citizen etc. and already aware of what they want to study, be forced to take and pay for these useless classes.

I knew I should have taken that gap year. I told my parents a thousand times that they were rushing it without knowing what they were getting into. I told them I didnt think it was wise when I wasnt ready. Now I've got to think of something.

Its likely I will end up dropping out of college. It would probably surprise almost everyone I know but I can blame the people I know for it. Nobody has understood the logic of stopping for just one second, taking a breath, calming down the rush and giving a focused observation. Ive always been stuck bearing the consequences of others who take actions hurridely and fuck something up, for 18 years of my life. All sorts of mistakes being made when it would have taken one second and a little more effort to get it right.

Im waiting for that last part of freedom. Freedom to travel. A license will give me the chance to hop into a car, and just drive...no destination. Just get away, break the chains, lose the influence. Im confident in my abilities, in my skills, in my quick learning rate and good nature. Im not fearful of the unknown.

Right now Im just trying to knock what whatever classes I can, gathering the credits Ill need for my chosen path. But I dont think I will finish my college years with the rest of my peers. My life has been always riddled with complexity, unnecessary conflict, unwanted actions. Never allowed to find the real me as I was led by everyone who sought to do what they thought was best for me.

Yet during my 2 months away from parents, from friends, from teachers and from school I found me. Sure I also played lots of video games, watched lots of TV, and hiked up a mountain but I often think best doing things people seem to percieve as thoughtless. When Im playing a game or watching TV, it provides added stimulation to my brain. I feel more efficient when my mind is busy even with the unimportant(though sometimes I may dedicate more concentration to topic rather than my thoughts).

And I dont see need of taking Gen-eds. i dont care about the civil right, women rights, social issues or history(I care about history but I think Ive got it covered enough that I dont need to take a class to tell me I know enough. I spent countless hours reading history from prehistoric to now). Im fine qith taking an English to better my writing, but am reluctant on literature(because the often read 18-19th century books are stuffy crap that is far too over-analyzed and overrated).

Right now...Il just live the present.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
10-20-2013 03:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Gwedin , no , xcriteria , James Comey , mpoole
WhatEvenIsThis Offline
Someone Else

Given 99 thank(s) in 49 post(s)
RE: Gen-ed, College And Me.

This is exactly the way I am: Always determined and enough genuine courage to defy the mainstream bullshit "everyone" does. I am just afraid to let open of that feeling.

Everyone has their abilities, and there are even people that have the ability to defy and throw the shit away and live life the way they want it.
I will never, and I mean NEVER, let a motherfucking piece of shit assfuck exam decide my fate... NEVER

I am totally with you on this. Never let a shitty class (Where you will not have anything interesting saved in your mind anyway) being forced on you, and never listen to the people that tell you "Well, it is just like that", NO, we ALL have enough strength to BREAK through this shit, we just need to find it ourselves... and not from something like a "school"
10-21-2013 12:24 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Gen-ed, College And Me.

Well. If I do decide to transfer instead of drop out, I will most likely look for someplace not so stringent on Gen-Ed requirements. I'll just use my 2nd semester of my first year to get the fundamentals of other classes done(like chem,physics and math).

I've browsed some FAQs of colleges, pertaining to Gen-Ed, and I have to admit that they make a terribly pathetic argument in every instance. Well-rounded? Productive citizen? Please spare me the bull. The entire argument for Gen-Ed being mandatory is that we, as new adults, don't know what we want or how to behave. Wait...WHAT? They must be aware of the failures of k-12, else why would they think it best to conduct Gen-Ed in college. Oh right. Why fix a problem that'll rake in the cash. You force them to take Gen-Ed which ends up making the college experience last longer than it should. Oh you want to really learn? Be prepared for more than 4 years of college. Why? Because the worthless Gen-Eds nobody cares about took about almost 2 years of your time.

But hey, at least I learned about the civil rights movement. It'll sure come in handy when I'm working on a Nuclear Fusion Reactor. Or how about analyzing the Canterbury Tales, it'll help you design the algorithms for that new OS of yours.

I'm not against liberal studies(which is usually what Gen-Ed is), but in this day, math and science have gone beyond previous years. Once upon a time, you were a philosopher if you knew math and science. Why? Because while the science and math was still substantially informative, it wasn't that great. Now, we've got the sciences with multiple subbranches that delve deeper in that concentration. Materials Engineering(a branch of Mechanical or Civil Engineering) has multiple concentrations like:electrical materials, metallurgy, ceramic and polymer. Each of these further have more information to them.

With the advent of the internet, you could be teaching yourself the basics of everything. Forcing someone to be "well-rounded" doesn't work. I hear what the students think of Gen-Ed classes, and it's always along the lines of "just take it and be done with it". They don't see it as a learning experience, they see it as work to be overcome so they can actually study what's relevant.

When countless students over countless years ask "What's the point of this?" or "How will this help me?", shouldn't this create a question of why they ask? Perhaps it has something to do with the answers given, which are vague, hopeful, lacking in substance. We aren't stupid. We know when someone says something along the lines of "Good for making you well-rounded, a good citizen, make you a responsible adult and/or help you choose your major" that the one answering really has no solid answer. Just a drop of logic and reasoning will reveal how hollow this answer is.

Plus, I don't like being forced to do things when I know what I want to do. If I know where I'm going and how to get there, I don't need you dragging me claiming you know "better".

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
10-21-2013 02:41 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

I know that feeling well - from several forays into college. Having to deliver the bad news to people who think, "at least finish the classes you're in," at times when I couldn't bring myself to continue even going to class... was such an uncomfortable feeling.

But, at those various points, I felt that I wasn't really learning much... or not enough. Not what "college" should be capable of, or some form of further education beyond what I knew.

Going to college can be good, as you get at -- getting away from the world you're used to, having some prompts, experiences, and space to "find yourself" in a way you might not have before.

But, staying in college for 4+ years, or even one year, is a whole different question. Why isn't college open to dynamic redesign based on the needs of students? Why isn't challenging "why do we need to learn this" part of the experience?

Fortunately, you can do that all here, in School Survival University.

(10-20-2013 03:19 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Is it me, or does every support for the existence of mandatory gen-ed reek of patriotic bullshit? Sutff about being "a good citizen/employee/spouse/teacher/parent" or being "well-rounded" or "open-minded?

Why do I ask? Because why must someone who is quite open-minded, definitely well-rounded, already a good citizen etc. and already aware of what they want to study, be forced to take and pay for these useless classes.

I take a bit different approach to this. These goals could probably be accomplished in a better way, but even if you're already set when it comes to your "goodness," you might want to at least be open to further growth or exploration of those areas.

(Whether or not those classes are the path to get you there.)

(10-20-2013 03:19 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Im waiting for that last part of freedom. Freedom to travel. A license will give me the chance to hop into a car, and just drive...no destination. Just get away, break the chains, lose the influence. Im confident in my abilities, in my skills, in my quick learning rate and good nature. Im not fearful of the unknown.

That's an important drive in you to consider. It'd be nice if "higher education" took into account drives like that. Here's an idea: why not set up a plan where you write your book, and do a promotional tour for it? (Think of that as a brainstorming prompt.)

I actually wanted to do that years ago... why not write and promote something, and travel and meet people at the same time? But I didn't have enough to say... and I'm not quite as bold of a person as you are. Razz

Instead, instead of writing a book like some are these days, about "here's why I quit school," I ended up going back to college... because I knew I needed to learn more. But once again, I felt like there must be a better way to do things. And that's when I started posting on here.

(10-20-2013 03:19 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Right now Im just trying to knock what whatever classes I can, gathering the credits Ill need for my chosen path. But I dont think I will finish my college years with the rest of my peers.

If you want to just rack up credits, consider CLEP exams.

But, what is your chosen path? Is college really needed, in its current form? (If you want to be an engineer, maybe, but a number of people interested in engineering opted to quit college and apply for the Thiel Fellowship. I'm not sure what they'll end up doing without a degree, but those contacts and focused learning probably provides something college doesn't.

The lesson for college is that it needs to adapt. Or, try another "college" from a Silicon Valley investor, [url=Draper University of Heroes[/url]:

Watch on YouTube

Even if you question being a "hero," that might be closer to what you want than where you're at.

(10-20-2013 03:19 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  My life has been always riddled with complexity, unnecessary conflict, unwanted actions. Never allowed to find the real me as I was led by everyone who sought to do what they thought was best for me.

Metallica - The Unforgiven

(10-20-2013 03:19 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Yet during my 2 months away from parents, from friends, from teachers and from school I found me. Sure I also played lots of video games, watched lots of TV, and hiked up a mountain but I often think best doing things people seem to percieve as thoughtless. When Im playing a game or watching TV, it provides added stimulation to my brain. I feel more efficient when my mind is busy even with the unimportant(though sometimes I may dedicate more concentration to topic rather than my thoughts).

Exploring is one of the best ways to learn. Paying attention to what works for you -- how your brain responds to things -- how your mind works -- is an important step to learning and figuring out who you are. Unfortunately, it's often neglected in education.

(10-20-2013 03:19 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  And I dont see need of taking Gen-eds. i dont care about the civil right, women rights, social issues or history(I care about history but I think Ive got it covered enough that I dont need to take a class to tell me I know enough. I spent countless hours reading history from prehistoric to now). Im fine qith taking an English to better my writing, but am reluctant on literature(because the often read 18-19th century books are stuffy crap that is far too over-analyzed and overrated).

Much of that is an important part of history, from several angles. If you really want to understand the world, it's all worth building into your schema and making sense of. Writing is important, but I'd suggest looking elsewhere for really building your writing skills (a class could be good, but so can writing here, blogging, writing your book, journaling, and all that. Finding a way to get good feedback is important... I'm always eager to get feedback on the stuff I write so I can get better... and understand how other people think.)

As for literature, a lot can be learned by strategically studying TV Tropes and Sparknotes. At least expose yourself to some of the basic stories, plotlines, characters, and themes. However, once again, the question is how to do that most effectively. Finding a way to discuss the topics and ideas (in writing or speaking) can be one way to augment your reading-based learning.

This video comes to mind as a quick summary of Dostoevsky vs. some "fulfiller" novels, with quick summaries of some of his books. (I've read only parts of them, but there's good material for discussion in them, especially about discussing worldviews and theories of human nature... as well as in various other works. But of course, how do you decide how to go about getting to know all that? (Hint: TV Tropes is a start.)

Watch on YouTube

All that said, incoming wall of text in the next post.

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
10-21-2013 03:38 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Ahh, new reply. Instead of pasting in my wall of text (sitting in a text editor right now), I'll address your last post and see if I can weave it into that.

(10-21-2013 02:41 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  I've browsed some FAQs of colleges, pertaining to Gen-Ed, and I have to admit that they make a terribly pathetic argument in every instance. Well-rounded? Productive citizen? Please spare me the bull. The entire argument for Gen-Ed being mandatory is that we, as new adults, don't know what we want or how to behave. Wait...WHAT? They must be aware of the failures of k-12, else why would they think it best to conduct Gen-Ed in college. Oh right. Why fix a problem that'll rake in the cash. You force them to take Gen-Ed which ends up making the college experience last longer than it should. Oh you want to really learn? Be prepared for more than 4 years of college. Why? Because the worthless Gen-Eds nobody cares about took about almost 2 years of your time.

Part of it is, they know K-12 failed to impart key knowledge, so they're going to go try to impart it. Why not at least offer all those Gen-Eds starting in middle school?

As for making the experience longer than it should, college is generally defined by this "120 credit hour rule." So maybe part of the issue is that they need to add something to fill out the extra hours.

But there's more to it than that. A whole discussion of what you got at in that last paragraph deserves its own thread or conversation. I might even post that to G+ and see what the higher ed people there say.

(10-21-2013 02:41 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  But hey, at least I learned about the civil rights movement. It'll sure come in handy when I'm working on a Nuclear Fusion Reactor. Or how about analyzing the Canterbury Tales, it'll help you design the algorithms for that new OS of yours.

There's value in some of that for understand human beings. There's more to life than just computers and fusion reactors. Besides, you're interested in politics and strategy, right?

As for analyzing literature, I think analyzing and understanding stories and storytelling is a fundamental skill... but how to go about learning that... and writing your own stories... might be better done in a different context.

On that note, this free course is starting in the next week: The Future of Storytelling

I'm taking it... why not check it out?

(10-21-2013 02:41 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  I'm not against liberal studies(which is usually what Gen-Ed is), but in this day, math and science have gone beyond previous years. Once upon a time, you were a philosopher if you knew math and science. Why? Because while the science and math was still substantially informative, it wasn't that great. Now, we've got the sciences with multiple subbranches that delve deeper in that concentration. Materials Engineering(a branch of Mechanical or Civil Engineering) has multiple concentrations like:electrical materials, metallurgy, ceramic and polymer. Each of these further have more information to them.

I'm an advocate of connecting all branches of knowledge together, and thinking holistically. There are more ways to organize knowledge than the ways various sub-disciplines have ended up doing so. Thinking of knowledge only in terms of how university departments and programs present it is a trap.

How to deal with the information-overload is another question... something to bookmark and come back to.

(10-21-2013 02:41 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  With the advent of the internet, you could be teaching yourself the basics of everything. Forcing someone to be "well-rounded" doesn't work. I hear what the students think of Gen-Ed classes, and it's always along the lines of "just take it and be done with it". They don't see it as a learning experience, they see it as work to be overcome so they can actually study what's relevant.

Yes, this a a fundamental problem with how much of education is set up. People don't learn the material anyway, in any level of depth... it's truly sad, and they're wasting time in the process.

(Segmenting this now because it's long, two more paragraphs to respond to.)

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog

Hidden stuff:
10-21-2013 03:52 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(10-21-2013 02:41 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  When countless students over countless years ask "What's the point of this?" or "How will this help me?", shouldn't this create a question of why they ask? Perhaps it has something to do with the answers given, which are vague, hopeful, lacking in substance. We aren't stupid. We know when someone says something along the lines of "Good for making you well-rounded, a good citizen, make you a responsible adult and/or help you choose your major" that the one answering really has no solid answer. Just a drop of logic and reasoning will reveal how hollow this answer is.

This paragraph is gold. Yes, exactly. Why?

Well, people are starting to ask why... and others are starting to get nervous (or excited) about the implications of the answers in a hyper-connected world.

Why School? TED ebook author rethinks education when information is everywhere

Stop Stealing Dreams: What is School For?

Co-founder of Udemy... I'm working on building courses on there right now...part of my idea is to link back to conversations on School Survival (along with all the kinds of texts I link) and get people really thinking about what to do differently.)

Watch on YouTube

(10-21-2013 02:41 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Plus, I don't like being forced to do things when I know what I want to do. If I know where I'm going and how to get there, I don't need you dragging me claiming you know "better".

This is the fundamental problem with school, it's built around a "do what we say, don't ask questions" approach, even as they are trying to get people to think... the result is a big conflict when information is everywhere.

These are things to pull out into the broader course/discussion I'm looking to promote, and maybe quote in this DNLE chapter I'm working on and/or in DoA's book. (Or yours...)

Hidden stuff:
10-21-2013 03:59 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Another thought: piece together your own learning out of some of these edX, Coursera, etc. courses.

Then find a college that will let you get credit for your prior learning. ( College Degree, No Class Time Required "University of Wisconsin to Offer a Bachelor's to Students Who Take Online Competency Tests About What They Know")

You might find this course interesting:

Central Challenges of American National Security, Strategy and the Press: An Introduction (HarvardX)

It's already started, but as with most of these, you don't have to treat them as a traditional course.

Have you explored all these MOOC offerings? Any thoughts on them as a learning tool?
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013 04:19 AM by xcriteria.)
10-21-2013 04:19 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Wonderful. Very much what I sought by posting this thread. Three walls of text, brimming with information. I actually found the Thiel Fellowship to be interesting(and plan to apply, or am already applying to be more accurate). I think I will start the new week off with a good start and get things moving ahead.(Take notes for my planned book and begin attempts at drawing something of a blueprint of a powered armored exoskeleton for military use, and maybe a sketch for cybernetic implants as well).

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-21-2013 01:59 PM
 Thanks given by: mpoole , xcriteria
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

I want to post so much but I still don't have my laptop. I agree though Braniac.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
10-21-2013 02:09 PM
Lieutenant Offline
Rebel

Given 5 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

I've only skimmed this thread, but I can see the main idea of this. I too, feel more "productive" when I'm doing other things besides school work. Now, while I'm not in college (forced high school, stupid USA and No Child Left Behind bullshit), I've told my friends I don't plan on going to college. Of course, they were all surprised at me, thinking I'm wasting my life and whatnot. But I laugh because they're the ones wasting a third of their life on a piece of paper and the rest of it at a desk. Then they'll only have accumulated like, a year total of "vacation" before they retire. Then when they're retired, they can't do shit other then lay in bed and watch TV.

Anyways, it just seems so much more profitable to get a residual income (I currently make websites and monetizing it) and use what I've made at the end of high school to travel and dick around for 2 maybe 3 years. I couldn't care less if I die at 30. That's 30 less years to give a fuck about tax, economy, and other bullshit.
10-21-2013 02:26 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Dont foeget to mention how the value of money is decided by the government. Its basically "we promise that this piece of paper is worth the face value"

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-22-2013 10:50 AM
WhatEvenIsThis Offline
Someone Else

Given 99 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Man... it is always the "higher" people that are the stupidest... But you know what, I am so very thankful that there ARE humanoid creatures in this world that restore my faith in humanity... people like you, and everyone else in this forum for example.

Life is not always the worst thing, we all can do something about it... really
10-23-2013 05:43 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Gen-ed, College And Me.

I have no qualms about life, or the planet Earth, or this universe. I just have a problem with those who think they know how I should lead my own life.

For every "I highly recommend/suggest/beg of you/ask/order you..." statement I get, I return a "I highly recommend/suggest/beg of you/ask/order you to shove it up and GTFO". If it's advice, I have no problems with it. I'll use my own judgement to factor it in. But anything beyond that, we've got a problem.

I'm quite the individualist Razz

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-23-2013 06:13 AM