RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brother progress log (formerly: My brother just tried to commit suicide)
(´・ω・`) Offline
Pariah

Given 100 thank(s) in 72 post(s)
My brother just tried to commit suicide

Fifth post starting..., now.

Quote:One criticism people sometimes give homeschooling is that people don't necessarily get the same socialization as in school. However, there generally are many ways to go about socializing, from various programs and classes in your community to the Internet. (Of course, be careful online and all that, but the world also has a lot of interesting people to connect with.)

Socialization is definitely his troublespot, so much as being around women is mine. As for programs and classes, I don't know of much in Elkhart right now, and we have no money, so that has to be taken into consideration as well. As for the Internet, there is plenty of communities I'd want him on. Google+, various forums, Diaspora (potentially). BUT NO FACEBOOK! I hate that stinking place.

Hidden stuff:

Quote:<sug> i dont think ive ever been an atheist
<sug> i worship the superplayer

Returned after years hiatus.
10-17-2013 01:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
(´・ω・`) Offline
Pariah

Sixth post now resting on a waffle iron.

Quote:How about some kind of remote school or coaching? There are a few ways to set that up.

Unless it was for absolutely free, I don't see that happening for him. I could coach him though, if he doesn't retract into his hermit crab shell first.

Hidden stuff:

10-17-2013 01:31 PM
(´・ω・`) Offline
Pariah

Seventh post receding into the mists of time.

Quote:"quite annoying" -- so, what would the scenario be if he did unschool? You'd be at home with him? Could you be his teacher or coach? Smile

Yes, he's rather annoying if you're confined with him for long periods of time. Yes, I'd be at home with him. ALWAYS. Since I don't have a drivers license and don't know how to ride a bike. You might say I could walk, but I live in the literal middle of nowhere. I could definitely be either of those things, although I don't have quite the willpower to withstand him for 6 hours straight. Troll songs and all of that stuff. Smile

Hidden stuff:

10-17-2013 01:35 PM
(´・ω・`) Offline
Pariah

Eighth post, into the phantom rhapsody of your mind, spirit, and soul.

Quote:Maybe he could discover some new interests.

Yes, he could develop some new interests. Granted that his current ones suck, I practically guarantee this is going to happen, since I have so much sway over him emotionally and mentally. Remember, it's because of me he's trying to do this whole thing.

Hidden stuff:

10-17-2013 01:38 PM
(´・ω・`) Offline
Pariah

Finally, the ninth post.

Quote:And, what about you? What are your interests, and plans for the future? How do you use your time?

My interests. Well, I have rather heavy interests in politics, religion, and education. Also a passing interest and comphrehensive knowledge of psychology and the human mind. Plans for the future, get my brother out of school, complete my education, work at Daimler-Benz AG, and do some other stuff I won't care to enumerate here. As for how I use my time, most of it is either spent, communicating with my online friends on subjects of interest, lurking on YouTube, using MAME to play DoDonPachi, or avoiding my mother. Amazingly, I tend to do all of those things at the same time! Biggrin

Hidden stuff:

10-17-2013 01:41 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)
RE: My brother just tried to commit suicide

That all sounds interesting. I have substantial overlap of interests. I guess the biggest challenge, aside from your brother unschooling, is how to manage it. If he's engaged in things, maybe it wouldn't be so bad?

Do you have more than one computer, so he could do his thing while you do yours?

And... is there anything like a library or cafe you could go to at times? Or... in warmer months, just go outside?

I've found some great education-related discussion on G+... check out the School Survival community there (not much there yet, but the Learning 2030 video there might have some good bits to show your parents.)

Have you found your way to sites like Coursera, edX, and NovoEd? I'm experimenting with making a course on Udemy right now, and collaborating with some people on some others. I want to make something more like a game than a traditional "course." Something that uses conversations, questions, and scenarios as a way to facilitate learning.

We should definitely talk if you want to brainstorm and all that. Smile

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
10-17-2013 02:11 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(10-17-2013 12:16 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Divine confirmation?

A little "magic" in the middle of the night could help. You'll need some REALLY white robes, the robes need to be lined(in the inside) with REALLY bright-but-soft white light(it could get hot in there, so you may want some wide robe).

Check out this Film Riot video... they're siblings that do film effects how-to videos. This scene goes right along with what you're suggesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...FW50ep-REs

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2013 02:14 PM by xcriteria.)
10-17-2013 02:14 PM
(´・ω・`) Offline
Pariah

Quote:Do you have more than one computer, so he could do his thing while you do yours?

We both have our own computers, but neither of us have headphones.

Quote:And... is there anything like a library or cafe you could go to at times? Or... in warmer months, just go outside?

There's the Edwardsburg Public Library, but school personnel are known to hang out there. As for cafes, there are none in Edwardsburg. There are some in Elkhart, but that's INCREDIBLY far by bicycle. And remember the part where we said we had no money?

Quote:I've found some great education-related discussion on G+... check out the School Survival community there (not much there yet, but the Learning 2030 video there might have some good bits to show your parents.)

Yeah, I'll probably watch the video, but really, there is no convincing my mother. As for my father, he's already convinced.

Quote:Have you found your way to sites like Coursera, edX, and NovoEd? I'm experimenting with making a course on Udemy right now, and collaborating with some people on some others. I want to make something more like a game than a traditional "course." Something that uses conversations, questions, and scenarios as a way to facilitate learning.

I've heard of the MIT Open University, Coursera, and Khan Academy, but not the others. We need a comphrehensive index of these things. I'm rather skilled at programming and manipulation of the human mind, but yeah, we should brainstorm.

Hidden stuff:

10-17-2013 02:20 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Get some headphones? If you have some coding skills, maybe we can collaborate and make some money. I know some coding, but it's really not my thing... I'd rather design and strategize.

We definitely need a comprehensive index to what's out there. I've spent a lot of time digging through all the sites and content... and when you included YouTube, it's a LOT. I want to build better maps and guides, and combined them with coaching services, for people looking to build their own learning journey.

I have a bunch of walls of content on here and on G+, but they need a better presentation.

Check out this thread for a good run-through of some of what I've found and what I'm working on... and some links to various other threads, articles, and sites.

Hidden stuff:
10-17-2013 02:35 PM
(´・ω・`) Offline
Pariah

As for a collaboration, I think that would be likely, although I'm not sure I could recieve the money. Just to let you know, I'm only 14 years old. If we can find web hosting space, maybe we could start a wiki dedicated just to all of this alternative education stuff, without any of the getting out of school materials tainting the mix. What do you have in mind by coaching services? Because if it's an online service, I'll most likely be able to help you with it.

Just a warning though, if we're going to be collaborating. I use Linux as my platform of choice, and ALL of my tools are dependent on Linux, or at least a UNIX-type operating system (so OSX could possibly be acceptable too).

Hidden stuff:

10-17-2013 05:44 PM
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

Given 95 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

What's with all the cases of suicide on here recently anyway?

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP URITIYOGI (2016-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP WES/THEWAKE (2007-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

"Write me a little report of [my video], so I know you watched it, or you get another warning. One of my other goals is to make this forum a bit of my own class...So, tell me, how you feel about the new rule of having you do homework? Or you get another warning. So, do you want to do this or not?...Please send a PM and tell me if you're willing or not. I will probably give you 24 hours to send the PM. No PM will indicate to me that, no, you don't want to do things in this new way. So, you will be saying goodbye."
-Stevehein, promise-maker and Führer moderator of SJW-Survival, 2017

Hidden stuff:
10-18-2013 01:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(I'll try segmenting my response into parts. Here's part 1.)

I have web hosting space. I'm thinking of more than a wiki, but that might be a useful part of it. There are also various useful tools like Prezi for making big interactive maps of content, and Rizzoma, which allows for real-time, interactive threaded document editing. And I've been playing (and working) with Udemy, which anyone can use to make their own courses just by adding items into a sequence.

The point is that there are many tools to learn and play with... but the challenge is still getting people to engage with them, and use them, hopefully beyond just surfing.

(There's already a School Survival wiki. But, yes, something that's more parent/teacher-friendly, and just more learning-focused, could help a lot.)

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2013 06:32 AM by xcriteria.)
10-18-2013 01:07 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(Part 2)

By coaching service, yes I mean something mostly online. Part of what I have in mind is, take some of the scenarios people bring to these forums, and work to figure out alternatives. This could include finding related resources, talking through problems, providing challenges ("assignments" or "quests"), or even talking to parents or schools and seeing what might change. In short, the idea is to work with learners to design better learning sequences and environments based on their learning styles, interests, situations, and goals.

I'm thinking not only one-on-one coaching and consulting, but also use tools like Google Hangouts, YouTube, and other collaboration platforms that gets people talking, getting to know each other, brainstorming, and learning about real-world problems and opportunities.

Another part of the plan is a documentary series about people's process of going from "stuck and unhappy" or "lost in a sea of content" to actively engaged in a learning process that rivals the experience of games, while providing quality "education" that can lead to real-world skills, knowledge, and in growth that we often don't see enough of of in "one-size-fits-all" schools.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2013 03:06 AM by xcriteria.)
10-18-2013 01:16 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(Part 3a, examples of in-person learner-centric learning environments)

This explanation of Big Picture Schools is a good outline for some of the kinds of things I think are important in a learning environment A Simple Ed Reform Solution - Connect School Life to Real Life, for example. Or this program in Austrialia, iLearn is based on helping learners work on their own projects and goals.

There are a growing number of these unusual, learner-centric programs and spaces around, but a lot of people don't have access to them or know about them. There are also various programs like that which focus more on college-age learners, like Black Mountain SOLE.

Regardless of focus, they're basically all alternatives to traditional one-size-fits-all classes. The idea is to build a learning program from scratch for each participant, using existing building blocks or by finding new ones.

And, there's no reason this has to be limited to programs in a few specific locations.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2013 01:35 AM by xcriteria.)
10-18-2013 01:34 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(Part 3b, examples of online learning environments about learning)

Alongside those new in-person learning environments, there have been a number of free, open, learner-centric courses about creating better learning environments and solutions... run by some of the more innovative people who teach educators in college graduate programs and elsewhere. They all find themselves learning a lot themselves as they adapt their courses to teaching online. And I've learned a lot, and met some interesting people, by taking them. But they're just one step toward building something even better.

For example, Designing a New Learning Environment (DNLE) from Stanford, and Learning Creative Learning from MIT, both really opened up conversations about how to transform education for the 21st century. The basic materials from those courses are still available... but so far, just linking to them, even in threads on School Survival, hasn't led to the same kind of "magic" I saw in those courses or in conversations I've been having on G+ in parallel.

So, I'm asking, what's missing? Lots of us like games, so why not discover the best parts about games, and apply them to learning, interacting, and making things happen? And, why not look at stories of people's learning, and ask which scenes to try to reproduce, and which to say "that was a waste of time" instead of repeating what clearly doesn't work?
10-18-2013 01:36 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(Part 4, reflection)

Did you check out the SS thread I linked in my last post? It's long... but it shows the problem: how do you translate a bunch of videos, text, and links, into an experience people will engage with and respond to?

Many readings go unread, even in classes people pay for... and online, it's hard to hold people's attention with so many distractions... and it's even harder to entice people to respond. This is one of the challenges of playing "teacher" or "coach," especially with people who have been so alienated from being told to do meaningless items.

But, game designers somehow get people to interact... interesting, isn't it?
10-18-2013 01:39 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(Part 5, still going...)

(10-17-2013 05:44 PM)IvoTheMagnificent Wrote:  As for a collaboration, I think that would be likely, although I'm not sure I could recieve the money. Just to let you know, I'm only 14 years old.

There are ways, though I think it'll take a while for money to start flowing in. Then there's always the question of how to spend, save, or invest it.

I'm in a rather tight financial situation myself as I've been spending much of my time scouring the web, having conversations, and building walls of content rather than taking on gigs or getting a traditional job. But, I see people spending a lot of money on entertainment and education and mental health care, and I think all three can be done better.

How?

(10-18-2013 01:02 AM)Hawkbit Wrote:  What's with all the cases of suicide on here recently anyway?

Good question. They aren't just on here. They're in the news. There was another high-profile suicide in a high school that made the headlines recently... and when I went to find a link, I found another article on this topic, particularly about pre-teens, that's even more recent: A Florida Tragedy Illustrates Rising Concern About Cyber-Bullying Suicides

Why are so many young people so desperate to and their lives... and why are so many so mean to each other?

There has to be a better way to do things.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2013 03:07 AM by xcriteria.)
10-18-2013 02:31 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(Part 6, college... and poverty)

For many people, school is still a problem even at the college level, where people spend large amounts of time and money. But, college has its own problems with student disengagement and limited learning... as I've experienced more than once. I joined these forums back in 2005, when I was last in college, so I'm quite a bit older than the average person here. Lately, though, I've been finding people even older than me, who all understand that school needs to change, and that learning is done best when people are actually interested in it.

Many colleges now print "distressed student guides" because so many students are miserable. Of course, school isn't the only problem people have, but being subject to years of "shut up and comply" institutions is likely to be a major contributing factor for a lot of that unhappiness.

Meanwhile, lots of people around the world don't have any access to modern education, even while the world is filling up with internet-connected devices and free learning materials. And yet that discrepancy is often used as a justification for why people have to go to schools that they can't stand. (See Hansgrohe's thread, "You could be in China making cheap toys!")

Why? Why not have people who don't like school develop and share better ways to learn (and navigate choice-filled world) than school-as-usual?
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2013 06:33 AM by xcriteria.)
10-18-2013 02:32 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(Part 7, the silver lining)

Fortunately, things are changing

Over the past few years, I've seen significant changes in the conversations that are going on. Some people have predicted more learner-directed education for years, but lately a lot more people are embracing these ideas. And, I've finally I've met a bigger circle of people to collaborate with on bringing about change... including some who are in education and academia, and who also see what's wrong with the one-size-fits-all 19th and 20th century model of education.

If you poke around the forums, you'll see more of these walls of text... but I'm still looking for a better way to present this information. Breaking things up into smaller segments is a good move. One way people learn is to see things modeled.

Some people (here and on G+) have suggested I break walls of text into smaller chunks, but it's useful to see that actually done, as you did above, Ivo.

Otherwise, I might not have thought to try this multi-part approach here. And it does help to think through the material I'm trying to present, rather than just dumping it all out or including big link-dumps.

But this is an example of how people can learn from each other, regardless of age or position, as long as they're open to learning.

Hopefully this is a step toward an even better presentation of some of these ideas and issues. Of course, one of the biggest challenges is still getting people to want to listen. And a key step toward doing that is, learning to understand what they're about... which is often more than a single, unified thing.

This gets to a key lesson from Robert Mnookin, Harvard negotiator and author of the book Bargaining with the Devil: When to Negotiate, When to Fight

Watch on YouTube

This is relevant to conversations with parents, teachers, bullies, anyone. Who are they? It's likely more complex than they may appear on the surface. Exploring backstories can be a good way to learn more, and possible find ways to negotiate win-win situations rather than everyone playing tug-of-war.
10-18-2013 02:46 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(Part 8, Linux)

(10-17-2013 05:44 PM)IvoTheMagnificent Wrote:  Just a warning though, if we're going to be collaborating. I use Linux as my platform of choice, and ALL of my tools are dependent on Linux, or at least a UNIX-type operating system (so OSX could possibly be acceptable too).

That's fine. I've used Linux a lot, even though I'm on OSX now. Most of these tools are browser-based, so most any modern OS is fine.
10-18-2013 02:55 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(Part 9, conclusion)

Okay, enough replies... for more, check out the (current) last reply on the thread I linked earlier,
Ken Robinson: How to escape education's death valley (new TED talk) -- post #10

(...and as much of the rest as you can stand, including DoA's linked thread, School and the Allegory of the Cave)

I'm still working on the book chapter I referenced there, which is actually due this weekend. But, as much as I can dump out text, what makes sense to put in a chapter about designing new learning environments in a world with the all the stories people share on School Survival and elsewhere?

What's the next step? Another wiki, another course, flyers, more speeches and talks and events? Maybe there are many next steps to take.

Meanwhile, DoA announced work on another book: I'm Writing For NaNoWriMo

What's clear is that something needs to change. And, things already are changing. So it's not like there's going to be one big change. But... what will each of us do in a world of text, images, videos, games, conversations, and links?
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2013 06:57 AM by xcriteria.)
10-18-2013 03:05 AM
(´・ω・`) Offline
Pariah

Damn, xcriteria. These are some of the best posts I've ever read, ANYWHERE on the Internet. It'll take me days to absorb all of this and make adequate replies. Well, at least you don't use Windows, so that's a relief. Our workflows can easily fit together, and in fact, if you want me to use OSX, I have several PowerPC Macintoshes, and I might be able to improvise a Hackintosh given enough time. But enough about that.

On another, unrelated note, it's now all-but-guaranteed that my father will take my brother out of school. Now the only thing I have to get past is mother's orders and rules disallowing true unschooling for him. Biggrin

That's all for now.

Hidden stuff:

10-18-2013 03:47 AM
(´・ω・`) Offline
Pariah

You're a Troper, xcriteria? Because if you want to see me on TV Tropes, particularly the forums, I'm SapphireDensetsu there. Actually, on YouTube, I'm Sapphire Densetsu, and I'm SapphireDensetsu practically everywhere else online too.

Hidden stuff:

10-18-2013 03:54 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(10-18-2013 03:54 AM)IvoTheMagnificent Wrote:  You're a Troper, xcriteria? Because if you want to see me on TV Tropes, particularly the forums, I'm SapphireDensetsu there. Actually, on YouTube, I'm Sapphire Densetsu, and I'm SapphireDensetsu practically everywhere else online too.

Hah, yeah... I'm way into tropes. Did you happen to encounter the TV Tropes ARG last year, "The Wall Will Fall?"?

TV Tropes Brought to Life Through Interactive Narrative

That's one of the kinds of things that I'm thinking of as a way to combine games, story, writing, and learning in some new kind of way. Basically, the creators/puppetmasters wrote up a storyline, invented characters, and then acted in character in YouTube, Twitter, forums, and elsewhere, So players interacted with the fictional characters, who were basically the puppetmasters/game-designers dynamically interacting with the players. It was pretty wild... but I've had this idea of building something even more reality-based. For example, rather than totally fictional characters, have people just sort of put on different hats (like a "coach/GM" hat) and provide prompts and quests that promote learning as well as just entertainment.

It's a pretty jumbled idea, still, but I think it has promise. After the several-month run of The Wall Will Fall in late 2012, the creators did a post-mortem Q&A... this thread has some interesting bits: http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtop...f=26&t=892 (I went by screenstorming there.)

That whole game spun off of a trope-based web series two of the creators, Tom and Dana, started in 2011, "Echo Chamber": http://www.youtube.com/user/tvtropesorg

Even more to get lost in. Smile

But all great inspiration for learning-by-doing... and learning from the reflections of people who jumped into insane projects and lived to tell about it.

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2013 04:26 AM by xcriteria.)
10-18-2013 04:26 AM
(´・ω・`) Offline
Pariah

I only got into TV Tropes mid-2013, so no, I don't remember it. But on an unrelated note, my mother is now making doctors calls for my brother, and they'll likely diagnose him with ADHD. But my father will have QUITE the scolding for her.

Hidden stuff:

10-18-2013 04:32 AM
(´・ω・`) Offline
Pariah

Never mind, she was just making a house call to my paternal grandmother.

Hidden stuff:

(This post was last modified: 10-18-2013 04:53 AM by (´・ω・`).)
10-18-2013 04:53 AM
(´・ω・`) Offline
Pariah

As another update, yes, my prior suspicions were confirmed. My father woke my brother up, and gave him a wager. School or no school. I'm sure you already know what he went with. Biggrin

However, my mother is trying to get over the initial shock and force a type of "school-at-home" situation.

Hidden stuff:

10-18-2013 06:35 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

What's her idea of school-at-home?

If he's already using things like Khan Academy, maybe set up a plan to document some kind of learning each day, with a learning journal of some kind (notes, visuals, video, and/or use a site like Accredible or Degreed)

Accredible is nice because you can upload a variety of content (screenshots, photos, text, documents) to document various kinds of learning. Degreed is more oriented around tracking courses, videos, articles, and events. Both have advantages, though... and these are just the beginning of replacing the "report card" and "transcript" and "GPA" with something that really tracks specific moments of learning.

I think Degreed needs to add "conversations," but you can track things like that on Accredible. And Accredible also has the ability to track endorsements from others like coaches or just co-leaners.

David Blake, founder of Degreed, is one of a number of people promoting a different way of tracking learning and doing credentialing than traditional degrees. This spot from them sums up the idea of "jailbreaking the degree," with a great clip from Ken Robinson's second TED talk, and some bits from Michael Horn, who studies "disruptive innovation" theory.

Watch on YouTube

Writing a daily blog or G+ thread would be another way to track things, and get practice writing as well. I've used a lot of video journals and screencap layouts to track things I've found and show connections between them. Without that, it's easy to get lost in all the content that's out there. And a lot of moments of learning are about more than memorizing a fact, but about new insights or mental connections.

Maybe various things like that could be formulated into an "official"-style plan that your mom would feel better about. It could still allow for flexibility and all that.

This simple guide/course from P2PU might be useful as wel:
DIY U: Build a Personal Learning Plan

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2013 08:22 AM by xcriteria.)
10-18-2013 08:20 AM
(´・ω・`) Offline
Pariah

Hmm, interesting. Well, at the moment all he's interested in is video games, and in particular Minecraft. So we should let him take a vacation or sabbatical from education, until he feels he's ready to return to this wide, risky, and open world we've made available to him.

Quote:If he's already using things like Khan Academy, maybe set up a plan to document some kind of learning each day, with a learning journal of some kind (notes, visuals, video, and/or use a site like Accredible or Degreed)

Yeah, we should do something like that. He needs to hone his writing and communication skills online, as he has the typical keyboard proficiency, writing skill, and lack of grammar you'd expect a public schooled 11-year-old to have. Now, I know he's already using Khan Academy, but that's all he knows. He dislikes structure and authority, but once we can get past that, we'll be able to get him learning even faster and more thoroughly than I am. (Although as a side note, being confined in your room 24/7/365 like I am does have it's advantages, learning-wise.)

Quote:Writing a daily blog or G+ thread would be another way to track things, and get practice writing as well. I've used a lot of video journals and screencap layouts to track things I've found and show connections between them. Without that, it's easy to get lost in all the content that's out there. And a lot of moments of learning are about more than memorizing a fact, but about new insights or mental connections.

That sounds like it could be done. I could have some difficulty parsing what he writes, but after all that I've been through, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Quote:Maybe various things like that could be formulated into an "official"-style plan that your mom would feel better about. It could still allow for flexibility and all that.

The only problem with that approach would be that she'd only accept HER plans, which are essentially public school at home. She believes anything else will set you up for ruin, failure, and disaster. Like I've touched upon before, the best approach, would be to wear her down until she loses the capability for emotion, and the reasoning parts of her brain are activated. Until then, we won't have a chance.

Hidden stuff:

10-18-2013 08:42 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

(10-18-2013 08:42 AM)IvoTheMagnificent Wrote:  Hmm, interesting. Well, at the moment all he's interested in is video games, and in particular Minecraft. So we should let him take a vacation or sabbatical from education, until he feels he's ready to return to this wide, risky, and open world we've made available to him.

Yeah, that's a common unschooling approach. Even Minecraft can be a source of learning, though. Maybe interview him about why he likes it... or invite him to document some of what he's doing even doing free exploration in that world.

There's this whole concept of "strewing," as well, basically finding things a learning might be interested in and make them available to explore. For example, Unschooling Ideas: Strewing

"Over time I’ve gotten better at guessing what might grab his interest, but that doesn’t stop me from trying something totally crazy once in a while. As an example, four weeks ago on a total whim I asked him if he’d heard of Leonardo da Vinci. When he said no, I got out my laptop and showed him some sketches, specifically da Vinci’s machines. The interest was instant and led my son to a deep fascination with the world of architecture that is still going strong."

The basic idea... which I'm searching for ways to do better... is basically to create menus of options and see what sparks an interest.

(10-18-2013 08:42 AM)IvoTheMagnificent Wrote:  Yeah, we should do something like that. He needs to hone his writing and communication skills online, as he has the typical keyboard proficiency, writing skill, and lack of grammar you'd expect a public schooled 11-year-old to have. Now, I know he's already using Khan Academy, but that's all he knows. He dislikes structure and authority, but once we can get past that, we'll be able to get him learning even faster and more thoroughly than I am. (Although as a side note, being confined in your room 24/7/365 like I am does have it's advantages, learning-wise.)

Do you know how he uses it? KA provides a lot of tools for tracking progress. You might want to set up a "class" and set yourself up as a coach, and then you can monitor progress and maybe strike up conversations based on it.

Just remember, "Coaches have access to all of your Khan Academy data"

Some of us shared our class codes here: So... I created a 'class' on Khan Academy

(Basically, people can join each other's classes, and then monitor each other's progress. But... it kind of requires some additional communication to really make the most of the data.)

Hidden stuff:
10-18-2013 09:51 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Story recount: on my brother's breaking point HawkbitAlpha 5 3,510 02-02-2017 11:52 AM
Last Post: HawkbitAlpha
  Everyone hates me, should I commit suicide? 1312 13 4,628 06-28-2014 04:06 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  I would rather kill myself than commit suicide WhatEvenIsThis 12 7,276 06-24-2014 02:53 AM
Last Post: WhatEvenIsThis
  Progress Reports G1996pw 2 1,472 05-02-2014 08:51 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  Ok, forget this shit immediately (formerly: I want to commit suicide now) WhatEvenIsThis 13 8,299 04-29-2014 09:13 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  Rant: My brother is disorganized..... James Comey 18 5,803 04-16-2014 07:46 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  UGHHHHHHH MY FUCKING BROTHER tootsie_turtle 4 2,971 04-10-2014 08:08 AM
Last Post: Ky
  On my brother. (Or, Unschooling isn't all roses as it seems.) (´・ω・`) 37 26,896 03-19-2014 01:48 PM
Last Post: GamerGurl
  Progress Report Dead 6 3,719 05-13-2013 03:18 AM
Last Post: Sunbourn
  The best way to rebel against school (in progress( zagix 1 5,548 11-03-2012 09:00 AM
Last Post: AtheistLGBTQAnarchist