RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ugh The Nagging!
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
Ugh The Nagging!

Goingcrazy

All this nagging, I go psychotic. My mother again spent an entire portion of the night nagging about how I need to find a job, how I have to find a job, why I shouldn't have left my old job and why I need to find a job.

I'm getting so tired of having this discussion that I've begun to lean towards just living like a hobo because I'm tired of hearing about "Job! Job! JOB! JOB! JOOOOBBB!!!!"

She doesn't seem to grasp the fundemental idea behind a capitalistic societies job market. One being mobility. I have no mobility. I'm at the limit of my usage of public transportation already(to college and back), and am in no mood of spending every day of every week taking buses and trains and walking and vice-versa. I don't have a license, my mother is at work, my father is at work. There's no way I could get anywhere without a car, especially in a state like NJ where people need to get in their cars to get to the nearby deli -_-

And I'll be honest, while I can understand the plight of the working class at minimum wage, I can't do menial labor. It just gets on my nerves. I start getting pissed off. The bakery I worked at was good, the environment was good, all I did was work as cashier/put bread through slicer than bag and tie, stacking orders if any. But it was repetitive. It was boring. It was the same. And I fucking hate most of the customers(I hate people somewhat, and hate what you would know as "the general public" with great hate).

I mean seriously, can't she wait just 5 more months till I get my license? Then I can actually find a great paying job that I'll like, and it'll be fine. But no, I need to work like a slave groveling for minimum wage AND go to college. Not to mention all the shit I have to handle because of my parents stupid separation, which further complicated shit.

I have to do most of the stuff my father handled, the things my mother can't handle, the things my sister can't handle, handle my college work, plan for my future AND get a job I don't want to work at? Fuck that...

Hell, I'm already swamped and somewhat screwed over in paying for college, because one state grant was retracted thanks to the first letter not making it to me.

Well, at least I solved one thing. Going to spend 5 months getting into shape so I can apply to the national guard(and ROTC program simultaneously, hopefully). If I get in, it'll help pay for college(though it will also sort of mean that I can't really transfer since the program pays for state schools, not private, and in the state of the national guard) and ease me into the military career I always wanted(Even though my mother is likely to throw a fit)

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
10-08-2013 02:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Ky
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)
RE: Ugh The Nagging!

Suggest some stress-releief methods for your mom. Meditation or something like that. Or, in the moment, just remind her to breathe. Then take that advice yourself.

Some people have an easier time doing menial labor than others. My brother, who has a college degree, delivers newspapers and food. And he seems totally fine with living like that, with no other plans for his life. I don't totally get it, but there are definitely people who require novelty and variety to remain sane. (I'm one of them.)

How's college going, so far? Are you learning a lot?

You might want to check out alternative ways to get credits, like CLEP exams.

You might also want to inquire about being a tutor at your college. I've done that before. You'd have to interact with people, but who knows? Maybe you'll develop some useful skills. The advantage is that you can work right on campus.

What do you see your future looking like? What kind of jobs would you like to do? (Even the military has a lot of jobs in it.)

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2013 03:16 PM by xcriteria.)
10-08-2013 03:15 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
RE: Ugh The Nagging!

Id love to educate my mother but there lies a great problem. The cultural difference is one, her preference for ignorance is two. While I love my mother, I sometimes consider her thoughts narrow and her beliefs "primitive"...unenlightened and dislikes enlightenment. A simplistic human being.

Wen I work, I work. Even if I dont like it, I give it my best effort. However, I just cant possibly put myself into that position of work. I do things either because I like it or Im feeling generous/kind(in case of things I do for free) but that also means I personally choose it, otherwise it isnt of my own preference and thus not enjoyable and thus menial.

College is going good. Im actually working pretty hard since I feel college directly affecting my life and also it veing part of my plans. I do plan on taking CLEPs to cover certain areas Im deficient in thanks to a crappy teacher that ruined my learning of math(Im taking college algebra. Then up to precalc then calc so I can study physics. And maybe some more advanced math courses.). Im hoping to get precalc, bio, chem or another CLEP done(not all, unless possible,but precalc definitely so I can move to calc without losing a semester)

If I can get into nat guard, Ill probably take a summer semester of just one course as well(2014). They have some jobs available on campus, but like I said I neither dorm there nor can I drove there. Im slaved to the public transportation and school shuttle which sometimes dont match at times I need them. I only go 3 days a week(2 days morning to night with a large break between morning to evening) then 1 class on wednesday for 3 hours(most difficult transportation wise).

Im hoping to do infantry first(maybe into spec ops), get some good ol combat skills. Then I hope to move up, getting education in strategic policy(like the war college) and also a higher degree in my preferred engineering branch(maybe already have masters while in combat skills phase). Then obviously hope to get high enough for command position(preferablly stratcom or socom). Highest "ambition" is Chairman of Joint Chiefs of Staff(though vice chairman,director of joint staff is fine. Also just being one of the chiefs is fine. So highest aim is really becoming head of a command and dream is JCS chairman).

So combat(mix of infantry,spec ops and/or military intel)-research(like scientist)-strategy/admin/policy-command-and finally the chairman if possible.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2013 04:22 PM by brainiac3397.)
10-08-2013 04:20 PM
Asder Miller The Second Offline
Anonymous Supporter

Given 17 thank(s) in 15 post(s)
Ugh The Nagging!

im 14, trying to get a job, i wanna help my parents,we have lots of debt,so im getting a job to help them pay the bills

School isnt as bad as you think
10-08-2013 09:12 PM