RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should be dead
Dead Offline
Goon

Given 288 thank(s) in 176 post(s)
Should be dead

Sorry but this is probably the last time I'll bother you guys anyway.

I don't know what I'm waiting for. Guess I'm just stalling cause I'm a wussy.

All of you think I'm an attention seeking freak and are probably reading this, feeling really happy because I'll be gone.

I don't know man, I talk to suicide chat lines every fucking day, it's time to accept that I have screwed my life over.

I'm so pissed at myself for bothering you guys even more. On the day I'm going to fucking die, I just need to annoy everyone a little bit more, right?

My mom is crying because of me. CRYING. Because I'm an asshole and I started yelling at her when she did nothing wrong.
10-07-2013 08:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
throwaway Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Should be dead

You shouldn't kill yourself. I know this gets tossed around a lot, but it's really not worth it. Can you imagine cutting off your life, forever? EVERYONE you know will be affected, and you should be damn sure that people are going to miss you. Life is a fucking amazing thing if you can deal with all of the bullshit it causes. It's really just not worth it. I know this is short, but I really hope I can help you out in some way.
10-07-2013 08:53 AM
Dead Offline
Goon

Should be dead

I just don't see any other options. There's no way in hell I can keep doing this.
10-07-2013 09:03 AM
Dead Offline
Goon

Should be dead

If I kill myself, my mom can use the money she would've wasted on me towards a better life for her and my sister. I wouldn't be dragging anyone else down anymore. I'm deadweight.
10-07-2013 09:09 AM
Gwedin Offline
dumb shithead

Given 559 thank(s) in 410 post(s)
RE: Should be dead

I won't post my opinion on suicide here because it'd probably get removed or something.

But anyway. If you kill yourself, like Throwaway said, your family will miss you. Even if they don't like you now, they will miss you once you are gone. Plus if you were gone they wouldn't really be saving any money... There's funeral expenses to think of, as well as possible emotional treatment from a therapist or whatever. You've probably heard this response a million times before and I doubt it'll really change anything, but here it is anyway.

My recommendation? Continue to zombie through life. Who knows, maybe shit'll turn out fine eventually.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2013 09:32 AM by Gwedin.)
10-07-2013 09:24 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Should be dead

I'll miss you too. And we don't think you're annoying at all. And if you feel like shit, it's understandable that you would react in weird ways to people for no reason.

Killing yourself would make your mom cry more, not less...

Who do you think you're dragging down, and why?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-07-2013 09:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dead Offline
Goon

(10-07-2013 09:46 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Who do you think you're dragging down, and why?

My girlfriend. She just started getting better, then I got worse and she's wasting her time worrying about me. Well, she was before she figured that out.

And my friends, they were worried about me too, but since they stopped hanging out with me, they've been so much happier.
10-07-2013 09:55 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Should be dead

How do you know they're happier if you're not hanging out with them? I mean, if you're not there to see them as much, how can you be sure?

So has your girlfriend stopped worrying about you? I'm guessing this is the same person you mentioned before... so she has some issues to deal with too, right? I'm pretty sure she'd miss you if you weren't around, and might even blame herself for not doing more to help.

Hug
I'm going to bed now, so I won't be able to reply for a few hours... I hope you're still here when I get back. Hang in there...

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
10-07-2013 10:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)
Should be dead

Are you still here, Dead?

Stay alive, but don't do this for yourself. You're mad at yourself, after all, and you need time to remember your strengths and make peace with your faults.

No, your motivation for staying alive should be your family. Your friends. Your girlfriend. Just think of how happy they'll all be when you recover, how much they will once more enjoy your company. And you will get better, in time. Your troubles might seem overwhelming now, but rest easy knowing that they are transient. Death, after all, is permanent.

Also, you're not bothering us. At least, you aren't bothering me. I'm just glad that what I'm saying even has the slightest chance of ensuring that your desire for self-preservation outweighs your self-hatred, and I hope that we don't lose you.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
10-07-2013 11:02 AM
 Thanks given by: Night , SoulRiser
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

Given 244 thank(s) in 167 post(s)
Should be dead

Don't go. It gets better. I felt just like you did when I was in 5th grade. I like you around. You seem nice. Just be positive, and look up.

City YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/kfcnyancat
City Tumblr: http://kfcnyancat.tumblr.com (no longer operational due to personal issues)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" - Donald Rumsfeld

For anyone who remembers me going on an archive binge: Thank you all. I know I ended it being a drama queen, I don't really agree with the ideology anymore, and I'm really not the same person I was (I went through a neopagan phase!) but still this site was the first online community I was in. I graduated from school and turned 18. Time flies. KFC Nyan Cat, June 20, 2019.
10-07-2013 11:11 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

(10-07-2013 08:50 AM)Dead Wrote:  All of you think I'm an attention seeking freak and are probably reading this, feeling really happy because I'll be gone.

I don't know man, I talk to suicide chat lines every fucking day, it's time to accept that I have screwed my life over.

If the chat lines aren't helping you enough, it's good that you're going somewhere else for help.

This is a support forum, after all... and you've made a substantial contribution as part of this community. It may not feel like it, but sharing your story and situations helps other people. The resulting discussion means something to people. I appreciate what you post here, and I think you have a lot more to give.

(10-07-2013 09:03 AM)Dead Wrote:  I just don't see any other options. There's no way in hell I can keep doing this.

What if you could come up with some other options? One of the reasons many of us don't like school is because it crushes our ability to think creatively, brainstorm, and try new things. It's possible to recover and grow that ability, though. Now is a good time to start. Smile

Kate Bornstein has a book called 101 101 Alternatives to Suicide... have you heard of it? She's one of many people who has made it through very difficult times and found all those alternatives along the way.

Beyond just surviving, though, it's possible to really transform your life from what you're dealing with now... and it's possible to help other people improve their lives as well.

This clip from Dan Siegel, a psychiatrist who understands that schools "imprison the brain" (as he explained in one of his talks), gets into how it's possible to change your brain and your life, by learning to notice and work with your states of mind more effectively:

Watch on YouTube

There's so much more to learn... and so many ways to improve your situation. I can't tell you exactly what, right now, but I can definitely tell you that it's worth looking for them. We're here to help you with that, if you're interested. And like I said, it's not just a matter of people help you... you have a lot to offer as well.

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
10-07-2013 11:18 AM
 Thanks given by: Alistoriv , SoulRiser , HawkbitAlpha
Alistoriv Offline
Sanity Not Included

Given 169 thank(s) in 114 post(s)
Should be dead

As I know from experience, don't live for yourself. Live for other people. Think about anyone that loves you (don't say no one, because there's at least one) and how they'll feel if you die. Pretty fuckin bad I'd imagine. Keep going and try to focus on other people instead of yourself. I'm writing this write now and analyzing every little bit and thinking about how dumb it sounds and how dumb I am. I hate myself, a lot; but I'm still here.

RIP GORE GOROTH
RIP SAINTVICIOUS
(03-20-2013 05:08 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Stand up with pride and say "No! I will not be a McDonalds employee. I WILL BE A GARBAGE MAN!"

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
10-07-2013 12:32 PM
 Thanks given by: vonunov , Ky
Faroven Offline
Revolutionary

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Don't fucking do it, that's my opinion. it's never too fucking late to change things, TALK TO SOMEONE! someone who understands, someone you can trust. Failing that, talk to us. I used to feel the same fucking way. That was close to 4 years ago, but I still remember it. I know that these will look like empty words, that you'll probably disregard them. I don't fucking care, because I have to try. Because 4 years ago, I thought I wouldn't make it to the end of Freshman year. I'm a senior now, and though things are far from perfect, they're a hell of a lot better than they used to be. You can make it, I know you can. Don't fucking give up yet. You may not realize it, but you are worth a lot. Everyone is, but you haven't realized it yet. You CAN break through this bottomless pit. You can, because I did. It took years, but I got out. It wasn't easy, but my friends and family helped me out. You can make it too, you just have to start trying. Take a walk through a forest, go by a beach, get a puppy, JUST DO SOMETHING. I know I'm coming on a bit hard, but I have to. Because I don't want you to die.
10-07-2013 01:57 PM
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

Given 317 thank(s) in 184 post(s)

Shit. I'll miss you, Dead.

If your still there, I have one thing to say. You have been given a beautiful body and a beautiful mind. You have been given the opportunity to wander around this spec in the universe. To watch movies. To read books. To make others happy. To admire nature, or the skyline of a city. To eat, and drink. To look into the eyes of someone who loves you. To have a pet. To learn things. Anyway, It would be a shame to throw that all away.

Sub's Mental Log!
We've had a lot of fun, guys.
Fulltime Member, 2013-2014

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
10-07-2013 02:38 PM
stevehein Offline
Pariah

Given 327 thank(s) in 188 post(s)

i sent u a pm...
10-07-2013 03:44 PM
Dead Offline
Goon

Hey guys, I'm at the hospital right now. I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner but the police showed up at my house right after I posted that and I had to stay in the hosptial overnight. I just got my cellphone back. I'll read what you guys said when I get home Smile
10-08-2013 02:04 AM
 Thanks given by: xcriteria , SoulRiser , Ky , HawkbitAlpha
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Should be dead

Did you call them or who?

Glad to hear you're still alive. Smile

Hidden stuff:
10-08-2013 06:10 AM
Dead Offline
Goon

(10-08-2013 06:10 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Did you call them or who?

Glad to hear you're still alive. Smile

I don't know who called them. The police just said someone read what I wrote then called them, and then they tracked my IP address back to my house.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2013 06:16 AM by Dead.)
10-08-2013 06:15 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Should be dead

Hmm, that's weird. IP's usually aren't that accurate... unless it was someone in your house who called them.

Either way... how are you?

Hidden stuff:
10-08-2013 08:20 AM
vonunov Offline
Badgrr

Given 186 thank(s) in 126 post(s)

IP addresses are totally accurate, if the ISP is subpoenaed for the account info of the customer who's currently assigned that address. This can happen more quickly than you might think. You can get close enough using a reverse DNS lookup to know what jurisdiction to call into, and they can figure out the rest with the service provider.

But the really important thing here is how you're doing, Dead. I really want to hear about it all. Next time you feel like you did when you posted this thread, however trapped you feel elsewhere in life, I want you to be able to come here and tell us about it without worrying that you're bothering us or wasting our time. I won't presume to really understand what you're going through, but I can listen anyway, so at least you'll know you're not ranting into a black hole, for what it's worth.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2013 09:11 AM by vonunov.)
10-08-2013 09:06 AM
 Thanks given by: xcriteria , SoulRiser
Dead Offline
Goon

Should be dead

I'm doing ok. I appreciate you guys responding back to me a lot, but I just don't know what to say. Besides thanks.
10-08-2013 10:27 AM
 Thanks given by: Ky , SoulRiser , Subb
Ky Offline
Shadow

Should be dead

*breathes a sigh of relief*

Dead lives. How are you doing? What happened?

10-08-2013 10:29 AM
Dead Offline
Goon

(10-08-2013 10:29 AM)DoA Wrote:  *breathes a sigh of relief*

Dead lives. How are you doing? What happened?

I'm doing alright. Basically, this is what happened.

I was planning on slitting my wrists. I started to, but the police got to my house before I did much damage. Then an ambulance took me to the hospital. When I got there, they just told me to stay overnight and get some sleep, and that we'd figure out a plan tomorrow.

Next morning, I talked to someone from the crisis center. She said I had "adjustment disorder with depressed and anxious moods". Then I talked to another person, who set me up with seeing someone at my house once a week to check in for the next few weeks, and she said we'd discuss what I should do from here on out.

After that, I went home.
10-08-2013 11:04 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , Ky , Trar
Night Offline
Queen Mod

Given 372 thank(s) in 211 post(s)

I feel so proud of SS today

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
10-08-2013 11:27 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , HawkbitAlpha , Ky
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
Should be dead

We might be a bunch of rag-tag wannabe rebels who are actually stinky trolls, but we do alright when it comes to camaraderie! Smile

Plus if you ever plan on dying, you might as well go out with a bang with your dignity intact. I would personally prefer going on a crazy vigilante spree...or traveling to a war-torn country and leading an army(or just myself) head on against the evil of the realm. That way If I die, I'm considered to be big-balled insane/stupid, and If I live, big-balled insane/hero.

We stinky trolls of insanity welcome back our brethren.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
10-08-2013 01:51 PM
 Thanks given by: Ky
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Should be dead

Quote:I was planning on slitting my wrists. I started to, but the police got to my house before I did much damage. Then an ambulance took me to the hospital.
Epic timing. Smile

Quote:Dead lives.
Giggle
Maybe you should change your username to Alive. Smile

So... how are you feeling now?

Hidden stuff:
10-08-2013 09:06 PM
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

Given 95 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

(10-08-2013 10:29 AM)DoA Wrote:  Dead lives

Seems legit.

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP URITIYOGI (2016-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP WES/THEWAKE (2007-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

"Write me a little report of [my video], so I know you watched it, or you get another warning. One of my other goals is to make this forum a bit of my own class...So, tell me, how you feel about the new rule of having you do homework? Or you get another warning. So, do you want to do this or not?...Please send a PM and tell me if you're willing or not. I will probably give you 24 hours to send the PM. No PM will indicate to me that, no, you don't want to do things in this new way. So, you will be saying goodbye."
-Stevehein, promise-maker and Führer moderator of SJW-Survival, 2017

Hidden stuff:
10-09-2013 04:05 AM
Dead Offline
Goon

(10-08-2013 09:06 PM)SoulRiser Wrote:  So... how are you feeling now?

Good. Had a pretty good day.
10-09-2013 06:46 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

(10-09-2013 06:46 AM)Dead Wrote:  
(10-08-2013 09:06 PM)SoulRiser Wrote:  So... how are you feeling now?

Good. Had a pretty good day.

I had a great day yesterday. It was raining and dark outside, gave me a cold dooming feeling inside that felt great.

So what are your plans now that you're alive? Obviously the following events should have changed your outlook on life no?

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
10-09-2013 08:04 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Should be dead

Good work, team. I'm starting to remember why I like this site and the motley crew of school-haters here. Smile

Glad you're feeling better, Dead. I hope you're planning on staying in the land of the living, because it sure wouldn't be the same without you. Smile

10-09-2013 08:29 AM