RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many of you are nihilists and what do you think of nihilism?
..V.. Offline
Party Rebel

Given 40 thank(s) in 29 post(s)

The title.

09-26-2013 10:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
coffee Offline
not at all awkward

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I used to be a self proclaimed nihilist when I was about 14-ish, was very depressed and shit.
Not as much anymore, if my understanding of nihilism is correct.
I don't know what I think of it, maybe it's, enlightening almost Razz
at least I found it to be, pardon my edgy
09-28-2013 07:01 PM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

I reject that principle and replace it with reality.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
09-29-2013 01:07 AM
 Thanks given by: xcriteria
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I am a person... not a whatever-ist.

Other than that...
* SoulRiser Googles nihilism

.. that's depressing, count me out. Plenty of things matter to me and have value, so no... not for me.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-29-2013 02:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: no , Ky , James Comey , xcriteria
..V.. Offline
Party Rebel

Denying morals, religion and meaning sounds pretty good most times.

09-29-2013 01:34 PM
KFC Nyan Cat Away
suck 360 blazeit hooks

Given 244 thank(s) in 167 post(s)

I was....AND THEN I TOOK A PONIES TO THE BRAIN!

City YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/kfcnyancat
City Tumblr: http://kfcnyancat.tumblr.com (no longer operational due to personal issues)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" - Donald Rumsfeld

For anyone who remembers me going on an archive binge: Thank you all. I know I ended it being a drama queen, I don't really agree with the ideology anymore, and I'm really not the same person I was (I went through a neopagan phase!) but still this site was the first online community I was in. I graduated from school and turned 18. Time flies. KFC Nyan Cat, June 20, 2019.
09-29-2013 02:10 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
RE: How many of you are nihilists and what do you think of nihilism?

(09-29-2013 01:34 PM)..V.. Wrote:  Denying morals, religion and meaning sounds pretty good most times.

Very primitive and emotionally-based. It's totally against logic and enlightenment. I personally prefer that humanity try to advance itself morally and logically, to step beyond it's boundaries and re-define itself a species. Course if you look upon our history, you'll see that such a thing rarely really happens and we always aim for the easier hedonism of life than to strive for self-improvement.

But if some existed before, than it's something possible.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
09-29-2013 02:29 PM
 Thanks given by: Miller0700
..V.. Offline
Party Rebel

Why waste your time in creating illogical morals and conforming than just living?

09-30-2013 12:38 AM
 Thanks given by: no
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(09-30-2013 12:38 AM)..V.. Wrote:  Why waste your time in creating illogical morals and conforming than just living?

Not illogical if you think about. The process of doing immoral things have logical consequences that can have unwanted effects on you. And you're just as likely to conform by abandoning morals as you are to conform by upholding them.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
09-30-2013 03:54 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
..V.. Offline
Party Rebel

Morals are, however, just a subjective rule that someone follows
Trying to create morals does nothing but waste valuable time.
You spend your life following morals, you cease to exist, then what?
Do you plan on making rules for everyone? That is not only acting as some religious prophet, creating rules for all, or creating more morals that people would be obligated to follow, which is controlling.
It is fine if you have a way of life, but I personally don't want to follow religious-influenced, indoctrine rules that has been made into laws and that everyone is expected to follow.
I am my own person and plan on not getting shunned by indoctrinated, close-minded moral robots (not calling anyone here one, but society) for being an individual and not conforming.

09-30-2013 02:14 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

But does that mean letting yourself become some immoral hedonist outcast?

Even philosophers who are against religion know that being an enlightened and civilized being means being in control of yourself. You suggest that because everyone is in control of their behaviors, individualists should piss where they want and disregard others. How do you know that religion formed morals and morals didnt form religion? One can not believe a religion and still have morals. Your making the assumption morals derive from religion and becuase of that you should abandon morals.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
09-30-2013 11:16 PM
..V.. Offline
Party Rebel

I abandon morals because I dislike being told what I can and can not do.
I have my own morals.
I look at society and see everybody following the same morals because they were indoctrinated by them, or because they aren't really individuals but products of society and the government.
I do not want to be like that.
I don't think that is healthy.

10-01-2013 02:49 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

Morality can have an ovjectiveness to it. Humans have evolutionary purpose to get along and work together. Otherwise we would have wiped ourselves out a long time ago. Religion was created because of morals and to manipulate a person's innate sense of morality. All that being said many "morals" are complete bullshit. Don't curse? Don't fap? Don't have sex before marriage? Etc. etc. Complete BS.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
10-01-2013 02:56 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

I'd rather people not curse. It's such a vulgar usage of language, and blatantly degrades intelligence.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-01-2013 01:34 PM
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)

(10-01-2013 01:34 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  I'd rather people not curse. It's such a vulgar usage of language, and blatantly degrades intelligence.

Fuck you then Razz

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
10-01-2013 08:26 PM
 Thanks given by: Ky
Fanatic

(10-01-2013 01:34 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  I'd rather people not curse. It's such a vulgar usage of language, and blatantly degrades intelligence.

That's a very illogical opinion.

Live until you die
10-02-2013 12:28 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

There's logic behind the use of profanity when more intelligent forms of insult exist?

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-02-2013 12:33 AM
Fanatic

(10-02-2013 12:33 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  There's logic behind the use of profanity when more intelligent forms of insult exist?

Subjective. Not to mention, profanity is not only used for insult. It is also used to express pleasure, frustration, anger, etc.

Live until you die
10-02-2013 12:35 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

"So when that fucking bitch of a motherfucker got his bastard fucking ass kicked like the fucking prick he is, we all had a fucking great time at the bar with some fucking whores and fucked them all fucking night"-Would come off as sounding intelligent?

Profanity used correctly isn't a problem, profanity used in daily vocabulary is. It can be used to express frustration,pleasure and anger, but if the every other word coming out of your word is "fuck" when another suitable word exists, we've got a problem. Subjective or not, you sound stupid using strong words unnecessarily.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-02-2013 12:53 AM
Smudge Offline
piss baby

Given 11 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Lotsa edgy in this thread.

Anyway, death to objectivism and rationalism.
10-02-2013 01:07 AM
Fanatic

(10-02-2013 12:53 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  "So when that fucking bitch of a motherfucker got his bastard fucking ass kicked like the fucking prick he is, we all had a fucking great time at the bar with some fucking whores and fucked them all fucking night"-Would come off as sounding intelligent?

Profanity used correctly isn't a problem, profanity used in daily vocabulary is. It can be used to express frustration,pleasure and anger, but if the every other word coming out of your word is "fuck" when another suitable word exists, we've got a problem. Subjective or not, you sound stupid using strong words unnecessarily.

You just strawmanned me.

I never said we should use profanity every other word. Though to be honest using long "smart" sounding or Latin words every other word to sound intelligent often has the opposite effect than intended. It is about... well moderation.

My point was that people get mad if a kid says "aw fuck I just broke my leg it hurts like a bitch". People will literally address the cursing before the broken leg, especially if a preteen kid said it. There is no moral reason to say people shouldn't curse.

Some people should curse less, sure... however that's the exception not the rule.

Live until you die
10-02-2013 01:41 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(10-02-2013 01:41 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  
(10-02-2013 12:53 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  "So when that fucking bitch of a motherfucker got his bastard fucking ass kicked like the fucking prick he is, we all had a fucking great time at the bar with some fucking whores and fucked them all fucking night"-Would come off as sounding intelligent?

You just strawmanned me.

I never said we should use profanity every other word. Though to be honest using long "smart" sounding or Latin words every other word to sound intelligent often has the opposite effect than intended. It is about... well moderation.

My point was that people get mad if a kid says "aw fuck I just broke my leg it hurts like a bitch". People will literally address the cursing before the broken leg, especially if a preteen kid said it. There is no moral reason to say people shouldn't curse.

Some people should curse less, sure... however that's the exception not the rule.

I never said we should act like we're reciting words from a Shakespeare play either. And there are alternatives for the word fuck. There is shit,crap,damn and goddamn that works fine. Fuck is reserved more for "Aw Fuck, I just stepped on a mine" or "Aw fuck, is that a Space Marine?". Fuck is the ultimate word.

But I'm not against profanity in the sense "OOH BAD WORD BAD BOY!". I'm more "Stop exaggerating fool". Do you really need to say "Fuck, I dropped my hot dog!" when you could say "Shit/Damn/Crap/Goddamn, I dropped my hot dog!".

Stop deflating the value of the English vocab you bums! One day I'll be using the word fuck as casually as hello, then we'll need to invent a new word to express strong sentences.

It's funny when preteens curse though. Mostly because I don't think they understand the full meaning and value of the word(well, most people who seem to toss them around like a McDonald's salad tend to not understand the language value of profanity either).

I'm not really basing it on morals here, I'm basing it on linguistics.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-02-2013 03:32 AM
Fanatic

It seems we might agree and we are arguing based on mis-reading each others posts. I don't agree necessarily about replacing "fuck" because it is a "powerful" word but that seems to be more preference than anything. I'm more of the opinion, "who cares?". Unless if someone is actually using fuck every other sentence I don't care. Then again there was this kid who said "nah mean?" every fucking sentence and it annoyed the hell out of me too.

Live until you die
10-03-2013 01:01 AM
RashedMohamed Offline
Spambot

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Nihilism (/ˈnaɪ.ɨlɪzəm/ or /ˈniː.ɨlɪzəm/; from the Latin nihil, nothing) is the philosophical doctrine suggesting the negation of one or more putatively meaningful aspects of life. Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism, which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value. Moral nihilists assert that morality does not inherently exist, and that any established moral values are abstractly contrived. Nihilism can also take epistemological or ontological/metaphysical forms, meaning respectively that, in some aspect, knowledge is not possible, or that reality does not actually exist.

Read more >>> Nihilism
10-03-2013 02:33 AM
..V.. Offline
Party Rebel

Reality may not exist. It could all be a virtual world.

10-03-2013 02:43 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(10-03-2013 01:01 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  It seems we might agree and we are arguing based on mis-reading each others posts. I don't agree necessarily about replacing "fuck" because it is a "powerful" word but that seems to be more preference than anything. I'm more of the opinion, "who cares?". Unless if someone is actually using fuck every other sentence I don't care. Then again there was this kid who said "nah mean?" every fucking sentence and it annoyed the hell out of me too.

Awesome. It takes skills to agree with one another and manage to argue the same issue. Laugh

And yes. This might be the Matrix. We may be hooked up to a computer in a pod where our bioelectric energy is harvested to feed them because we nearly destroyed actual reality in a war with them.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-03-2013 04:48 AM
Fanatic

(10-03-2013 04:48 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  
(10-03-2013 01:01 AM)UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:  It seems we might agree and we are arguing based on mis-reading each others posts. I don't agree necessarily about replacing "fuck" because it is a "powerful" word but that seems to be more preference than anything. I'm more of the opinion, "who cares?". Unless if someone is actually using fuck every other sentence I don't care. Then again there was this kid who said "nah mean?" every fucking sentence and it annoyed the hell out of me too.

Awesome. It takes skills to agree with one another and manage to argue the same issue. Laugh

And yes. This might be the Matrix. We may be hooked up to a computer in a pod where our bioelectric energy is harvested to feed them because we nearly destroyed actual reality in a war with them.

Aka we are The One of Thug Life. No that doesn't make sense. lol

Live until you die
10-05-2013 12:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What do you think of nihilism? ..V.. 3 2,230 05-06-2013 02:31 PM
Last Post: ..V..
  Nihilism Efs 16 4,880 07-26-2010 08:37 PM
Last Post: Efs
  Nihilism is pointless..so.... randyhart 6 2,505 01-04-2008 09:29 AM