RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homecoming?
Faroven Offline
Revolutionary

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
Homecoming?

Well, it's senior year, and I haven't attended a homecoming before, so this year I figured what the hell, why not? So I straight up asked a girl who's been in my classes for most of highschool. She said sure, and that's great, but I'm kinda half-terrified. I, I don't really know how to dance, and I've never been in a date before. Had some lit crushes, but that was it. I don't mean to do anything serious, I just want to have fun at homecoming. I've just never really asked a girl out before.
10-03-2013 02:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Faroven Offline
Revolutionary

RE: Homecoming?

Also, am I supposed to take her out to dinner before or after the dance?
10-03-2013 02:04 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
Homecoming?

After. Dinner is more a closer, unless the dinner is already part of an event. Plus it'll be more relaxed if things go right during the dance(or to dispel some awkwardness created during the dance)

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
10-03-2013 04:53 AM
Faroven Offline
Revolutionary

Good, still need to figure out the dance part.
10-03-2013 11:12 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Homecoming?

What sort of dancing is expected? Or what type of dancing do you want to expect?

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
10-03-2013 12:43 PM
Username Offline
Drunkard

Given 228 thank(s) in 166 post(s)

Just go and have a good time man, don't plan anything out or give yourself any expectations for what will happen. Go with the flow, pay attention to your date, and it should be a good time. Don't think too much about it or worry about it.

If you really feel uncomfortable about dancing just tell your date that you don't dance too often and ask her to show you the ropes, not only is that an easy way to ask her to dance but she'll probably say yes.

As far as dinner goes, do that last.
10-03-2013 02:57 PM
Faroven Offline
Revolutionary

Thanks guys, it's this Saturday so I have a bit of time to prepare. Also technically my birthday week-end as I turn 18 on Monday
10-03-2013 03:03 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Hope for the best, plan for the worst. I often create a variety of plans based on a variety of scenarios. Then I "go with the flow" while mixing matching scenarios and plans.

If it sounds too complicated, then dont even bother and just act(as said above, dont think too much or worry). My system has been done by me so long, its just something I do quick and natural(almost instinctively)

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-03-2013 03:05 PM
Username Offline
Drunkard

Given 228 thank(s) in 166 post(s)

(10-03-2013 03:03 PM)Faroven Wrote:  Thanks guys, it's this Saturday so I have a bit of time to prepare. Also technically my birthday week-end as I turn 18 on Monday

If you need any more advice then PM me.

Just remember to relax; it's homecoming, not rocket science. It's nothing to worry about. Tell us how it goes!
10-03-2013 03:25 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Pfft. Rocket science is so much easier.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-04-2013 01:10 AM
Faroven Offline
Revolutionary

Well, I went. I met her there. She seems a bit awkward, but I'm feeling similar because I can't dance well. I ask her, she tells me she doesn't really dance much either. She tells me she's going to the bathroom. Alright, I'll wait. So I wait, and wait, and eventually notice her at a different part of the building, just standing there and not where shed left me. I go up to her, and she tells me she's also waiting for another thread. I say alright, and we wait. Eventually her friend (another girl) shows up. She goes to talk to her. I'm fine with all this, until they both walk out. Without telling me. I have to almost run to catch up to her, have to ask what she's doing. She said she promised she would do something for her friend. I asked if she'd be back. She said ok. Which was odd, considering that you cannot re-enter the building after you give them your ticket. I only got back in because I knew the guy at the door, and I waited for her. And waited. And waited. I waited 40 minutes until it was 9:00pm, when they wouldn't admit anymore people. She left. She just left. I'd bought her a ticket, I bought her a rose, and she leaves. I gave her my number, she never texted or called me. I should've known this wasn't going to end well, should've asked someone else. The only homecoming I've gone to in my high school career, and this is how I get to remember it. My parents bought me a fucking Calvin Klein suit, and I was going to take her out to dinner. I even tried to learn a little bit how to dance. All for this shit. Just. Fucking. great.
10-07-2013 02:50 PM
Gwedin Offline
dumb shithead

Given 559 thank(s) in 410 post(s)

Shiiiit man. Tough break. High school dances are overrated IMO. Also did she text/call/say anything the next day? If not you should ask and see what bullshit excuse she makes up.
10-07-2013 06:13 PM
Faroven Offline
Revolutionary

Shit got more complicated. I confronted her, she said she never actually agreed to "go" with me, just that "we'd meet there". Kind of fucking weird considering I bought her a damn ticket. She said "she got bored and left". I don't know what to make of that. Apparently something else was actually going on, something important. I think she actually started to cry. I don't know what to make of that either, she does look really worn out. I'm, unfortunately, empathetic so I stopped pressing her. She said that she'd try to pay me back, and that some things were more important than homecoming. Well, yeah but you never fucking told me what. I feel angry, and a bit sorry for her, it's just all fucked up.
10-08-2013 01:23 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Simple!

You bored the shit out of her. And you failed to be assertive. I consider myself a nics guy but have been very observant of female behavior(its slowly making sense, though explaining is difficult). It sounds like the initial meet was charisma lacking. She then ditched you. To have repaired this, you would have to assert your manliness and gush confidence. Pass that? you could entertain her friend too(this strategy requires an adamantium like gut of self confidence).

(wait a minute. I didnt read that last post of yours of how she said she was bored. Woot, I was dead on)

Well, there are always others. Thus let this be a lesson.(I know this because I had my own lesson)

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-08-2013 03:30 AM
Faroven Offline
Revolutionary

... I highly doubt it. Our argument today was more based on how she insisted that there was an important thing to do. I will say, she looked really worn out, she was crying.
10-08-2013 03:45 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Women arent that simple. Plus if there was something more impotant why did she bother going to homecoming and waiting so lobg to leave? That doesnt sound like "Something Important" because Important things dont just happen(unless its death or war).

Its an excuse. Unless someone died(though whoever died would have obviously died later the day of homecoming).

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-08-2013 03:50 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I hate homecoming!! >n< Xalainu 18 3,651 10-13-2010 07:33 PM
Last Post: TheOmegaJuggalo