RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi...
SchoolKillsMe Offline
Rebel

Given 5 thank(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi...

Hi... You can call me Nick. I really like this site. It has confirmed the things I hate about school and parents and has taught me more. The reason I've signed up for the forums is because I really need help... I need emotional support, advice, and maybe a friend (though I desperately need a friend since I don't have one). At this very second, I am crying. I got into an argument with my mom about passing algebra and school all together. She stresses me into getting my high school diploma, but I don't want to put up with school anymore. I can't do algebra to save my life. And algebra is something I don't need to know or learn. I aspire to be a writer and/or a musician. My main passions are anime, video games, comedy, music, reading, writing. What I would like most from this site and these forums is the emotional support when I'm really struggling and advice on how to be successful without school and how to work around the system and the establishment. Thank you for taking the time to read this... I appreciate it.
07-16-2013 11:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
Dead Offline
Goon

Given 288 thank(s) in 176 post(s)
Hi...

Welcome to SS.

Sorry about your mom btw. It really sucks when parents blame their kids for not wanting to do something as pointless as algebra.
07-16-2013 11:40 AM
SchoolKillsMe Offline
Rebel

Hi...

She says that she did algebra and school, so I can do it too. I told her that I am not her nor do I want to be her. I told her that she may be able to pass algebra, but it's not as easy for me. She brought up that I used to be in gifted classes and get straight A's. I did, but the math has gotten more complicated, hard for me to understand, and more psychologically destroying. I fear about my future... If I can't live like this and assimilate to the way other people do, then I'm not even acceptable and not allowed to have a job or a career. She and the school makes it seem like that precious high school diploma is the most important thing in my life and that it will save my life. It just doesn't seem like that to me...
07-16-2013 11:52 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
Hi...

Nickelodeon?

Welcome to our merry band of ragtag merry-men(and women). We will support you emotionally, because we still can't physically shove our fists through the screen of our electronic devices(without destroying the device).

Success without school isn't a question another can answer, it's a question another can simply guide you to the answer you must find yourself. Working around the system is difficult, and success depends on so many factors that I am unable to calculate(lacking a positronic brain Smile ).

But what I can say is that your mother needs to be told, and needs to understand, that you seek to become a writer/musician. Of course, you will need to solidly choose a specific aspiration to strongly support else people will simply assume you're being a typical "child".

Outline your goals. Outline why you don't need a high school diploma. Outline why you don't need algebra. You need concrete evidence(or almost concrete) and facts and data and a whole bunch of that stuff to persuade people to your ideas.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
07-16-2013 12:10 PM
 Thanks given by: SchoolKillsMe
SchoolKillsMe Offline
Rebel

Hi...

I guess motivation and self-esteem are my biggest problems. I have the passion for writing and creating, but for some reason my body just won't let me do it. It's even more frustrating when I hear tales of famous musicians who went through shit and still succeeded and honed their musical skills. I would like to sing, play bass guitar, and write lyrics. Everything I want to do is being held back by my body or some part of my mind. I know you're not a therapist, but I'm just throwing it out there.
07-16-2013 12:18 PM
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

Given 317 thank(s) in 184 post(s)
RE: Hi...

(07-16-2013 12:18 PM)SchoolKillsMe Wrote:  I guess motivation and self-esteem are my biggest problems. I have the passion for writing and creating, but for some reason my body just won't let me do it. It's even more frustrating when I hear tales of famous musicians who went through shit and still succeeded and honed their musical skills. I would like to sing, play bass guitar, and write lyrics. Everything I want to do is being held back by my body or some part of my mind. I know you're not a therapist, but I'm just throwing it out there.

..... That's me. Right down to the details. Scary.

Sub's Mental Log!
We've had a lot of fun, guys.
Fulltime Member, 2013-2014

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
07-16-2013 12:36 PM
SchoolKillsMe Offline
Rebel

(07-16-2013 12:36 PM)SubCulture Wrote:  
(07-16-2013 12:18 PM)SchoolKillsMe Wrote:  I guess motivation and self-esteem are my biggest problems. I have the passion for writing and creating, but for some reason my body just won't let me do it. It's even more frustrating when I hear tales of famous musicians who went through shit and still succeeded and honed their musical skills. I would like to sing, play bass guitar, and write lyrics. Everything I want to do is being held back by my body or some part of my mind. I know you're not a therapist, but I'm just throwing it out there.

..... That's me. Right down to the details. Scary.

I am aware of the creative ideas and thoughts going through my mind. That also worries me...
07-16-2013 12:48 PM
Miab419 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 38 thank(s) in 28 post(s)

Lately, I've been kinda lazy with my "interests" or just things that I'd like to pursue. Which doesn't seem to make sense... People who know me say I think too much and in a way, I do. Except at my core, I feel I am more emotional than logical and I end up subjectively thinking more or less than what is deemed healthy. I end up never getting to the things I wanted to do and doubting everything.
07-16-2013 01:35 PM
Miab419 Offline
Revolutionary

Given 38 thank(s) in 28 post(s)

Don't really know where I was going with this... Just thought I'd pitch in cuz it sounded similar to me, except I am probably not as creative as you x)
07-16-2013 01:40 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Hi...

I have so many interests that I would be unable to truly indulge in them all in my mere human lifespan. Damn, hopefully they'll invent something in the future to extend lifespan while allowing one to retain a fair amount of physical strength and mental agility.

I'm pretty creative, but all I can do to draw my designs. Unfortunately, I did not possess a lab like Dexter, secretly hidden behind a bookshelf in my room. Evidence of my creativity lays in the few hundred sheets of paper I've drawn on over the past 3 years(front and back).

I'm held back sometimes, but it's not from a lack of motivation or self-esteem. It's because there's always some obstacle preventing me from getting started, or I know that once I get started, I'll get stuck up on some obstacles and be unable to circumvent them due to limited capabilities at the current moment. Hopefully, once I achieve my financial independence during college, I will be better able to enjoy my interests without really having obstacles.

Think of it as trying to reach some destination for a reward, but having to first cautiously cross some rocky terrain because you know if you try to progress any quicker you'll just delay or even give up. However, once you hit suitable terrain, you can take off at whatever pace you want.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
07-16-2013 03:23 PM
SchoolKillsMe Offline
Rebel

Right now I'm typing this in summer school. I was forced to come here because I failed the stupid algebra EOC test. The test was freaking difficult and I couldn't understand anything on it. I hated it too and didn't care about.
07-17-2013 12:08 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Hi...

Hug

Have you ever tried talking to your mom about alternatives? There should be a bunch of links in my signature below this post.

What you can do depends on where in the world you are, though.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
07-17-2013 05:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SchoolKillsMe Offline
Rebel

(07-17-2013 05:42 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Hug

Have you ever tried talking to your mom about alternatives? There should be a bunch of links in my signature below this post.

I'm interested in that Teenage Liberation Handbook. Is that book available at any ol' library or book store?
07-17-2013 06:29 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Hi...

You can try, I guess it might be if you're lucky.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
07-17-2013 06:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

Given 317 thank(s) in 184 post(s)

(07-17-2013 06:29 AM)SchoolKillsMe Wrote:  
(07-17-2013 05:42 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Hug

I'm interested in that Teenage Liberation Handbook. Is that book available at any ol' library or book store?

I think so. That's where I found it.

Sub's Mental Log!
We've had a lot of fun, guys.
Fulltime Member, 2013-2014

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
07-17-2013 06:41 AM
SchoolKillsMe Offline
Rebel

Hi...

Maybe I shouldn't take life so seriously. Maybe I should look as school as just a joke and not take it seriously.
07-17-2013 06:52 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Hi...

I didn't take school seriously, I turned out okay. Razz

Well, I didn't take the grades/etc seriously. Took the people seriously though... the ones that mattered to me anyway. For too long I took the bullies seriously too... but I didn't know better back then.

Hidden stuff:
07-17-2013 08:29 AM
SchoolKillsMe Offline
Rebel

Hi...

Is it even worth it to always be angry about school? I think I should treat going to school as some kind of sitcom.
07-17-2013 08:34 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Hi...

Being angry makes you feel bad, and doesn't actually solve the problem. Might even make the problem worse, because it makes people react to you in more negative ways.

So, if you can try not to be angry, by all means do that. But that doesn't mean you should stop trying to get into some kind of alternative if that's possible for you.

Hidden stuff:
07-17-2013 09:05 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Hi...

Getting mad is illogical and self-defeating. It's a fully emotional response and clouds logical judgement. Course, I've mastered using my anger to produce better results, so I work faster, better and more efficiently while also processing a whole lot quicker when mad. My mind actually becomes a whole lot clearer when I get enraged and goes into overdrive.

Example:My mother threw all the books on the bookshelf on the floor and made a massive mess(she said my shelf was a mess and wanted me to clean it and in her mind, making a massive mess somehow justified that extreme behavior), and to top it treated my books pretty harshly, kicking them out of the way and all. I obviously blew my top at the disrespect of my property(I'm very protective of what I know...). Instead of getting mad, doing nothing and starting a fight, I simply shut my mouth and replaced the books, by height order as usual. Course, with the energy of my rage, I finished the job in 3/4th the time it usually took me.

It was the same when I got mad and had to do the dishes or clean the house. With my anger I worked a whole lot faster and with a greater level of efficiency.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
07-17-2013 03:15 PM
SchoolKillsMe Offline
Rebel

Hi...

Well, now my summer school teacher told my mom that I was sleeping in class and writing in my personal journal. So my mom is taking away computer and video games just like always. I'm not gonna take anything seriously. I think I'll still have my phone. If not, I can go to the library. They're punishing me and judging me because I am not interested in algebra... *shrug*
07-18-2013 02:13 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Hi...

o noes! How dare you not be interested in the things they think you should be interested in! What is this sacrilege?!

I guess they're scared? Maybe worried that not liking algebra will make you turn out to be a hobo, or not have a good life. Irrational fear or something.

Hidden stuff:
07-18-2013 04:08 AM
Thade_Chan Offline
Revolutionary

Given 13 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

The whole "you used to get straight a's" argument pisses me off. I personally don't hate math of any sorts, but it's probably because it's easy for me. Give me science or history though....

Anyway, HI!!! Did anyone offer you a straight jacket yet? I kind of just skimmed through...

I'm back~
07-18-2013 10:42 AM
SchoolKillsMe Offline
Rebel

My mom does always call me mentally ill, crazy, and a sociopath. She's got some issues and she's horribly misguided. And just now, she blocked access to the computer because she thinks the videos I watch are "fostering negativity and hatred". I watch comedians and people who make fun of stuff. It's funny and cures a little bit of boredom. I get angry because something pisses me off, not some video that tells me to get angry. But the majority of the videos I watch are people playing video games. Even when I had the computer, I had very few things to do. And I also have school to deal with. Now, I'll have even fewer things to do and fewer things to help me cope with the bullshit in life.
07-19-2013 04:08 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Hi...

Quote:she thinks the videos I watch are "fostering negativity and hatred". I watch comedians and people who make fun of stuff.
Laugh
Oh, the irony.

What does she think you watch, exactly? Don't suppose you could explain to her that it makes you feel better instead of worse? Worth a try? >_>

Hidden stuff:
07-19-2013 10:04 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Hi...

My mother always bothered me about using the PC. She always thought I did nothing but play video games.

Sure, I did(and still do Razz ) but not all the time. I more often studied history,science,militaria or researched my college more, perhaps planned a little for my future, took a bit of time taking a practice AFOQT or just read the news. Sometimes, I just look at pictures of tanks,aircraft,firearms etc.

And the videogames I do play have some of form of lessons. A lot I play are strategies(grand strategies), or simulations. Some RPG helps blow off steam or appease my boredom.

I also like the creativity burst I get when playing RPGs.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
07-19-2013 03:08 PM
SchoolKillsMe Offline
Rebel

She doesn't want me watching videos about atheist-related things, funny rants, well-argued points, and things that say school is bad... I understand that she means well and she wants me to be happier, but this is not going to change anything. She has listened to only one or two of the stuff I watch and they were Nostalgia Critic and The Amazing Atheist. She didn't even want to listen to them because she hated them because she thinks the Nostalgia Critic should get a life. She didn't like that he was putting down a Thomas the Tank Engine movie...
07-19-2013 09:31 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Hi...

My mother got annoyed when I was reading Das Kapital.

Seriously...I mean very little people bother to read books anyway, and how many would actually read Das Kapital for leisure reading(since most would read it for some reason like research or homework).

Sure, it's written by a communist hating on capitalism, but it doesn't hurt to see things from both sides. I did intend to read Mein Kampf, borrowing it from the library, but some creepy old lady was just standing in the aisle staring at the book(and I don't mean bad stare. It was like some respectful stare). I decided that attempting to grab a copy would involve initiating communication(asking her to move over), then as I grabbed the book she'd most likely make a comment and force me into further social interaction.

I just grabbed a book about Fascism in general that day.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
07-20-2013 03:29 PM