RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Schools Actually Taught Us Something We Wouldn't Get Homework
EntityCubed Offline
Back In Black

Given 39 thank(s) in 27 post(s)

True story.

"It does a fool no good to spend money on an education. Why? Because he has no common sense."-George Bush
07-11-2013 03:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BadCode Offline
Rebel

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

False.

While I agree that in most cases homework is obsolete, some of the.. less brighter students might actually benefit of it. This, of course, is entirely reliant on the course.
Also, whether or not school teaches you anything is irrelevant, homework can be handed out in both cases. Sadly, not all schools- assuming that at least one has -have realised that it would be far easier for students to focus on relevant details, if they were not continuously distracted by streams of extraneous data.
07-11-2013 04:33 AM
EntityCubed Offline
Back In Black

RE: If Schools Actually Taught Us Something We Wouldn't Get Homework

(07-11-2013 04:33 AM)BadCode Wrote:  True.

While I agree that in most cases homework is obsolete, some of the.. less brighter students might actually benefit of it. This, of course, is entirely reliant on the course.
Also, whether or not school teaches you anything is irrelevant, homework can be handed out in both cases. Sadly, not all schools- assuming that at least one has -have realised that it would be far easier for students to focus on relevant details, if they were not continuously distracted by streams of extraneous data.
Sir, if we actually fully learned a subject, homework would be not be needed considering the student fully understands said subject.

"It does a fool no good to spend money on an education. Why? Because he has no common sense."-George Bush
07-11-2013 04:42 AM
BadCode Offline
Rebel

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

[quote='Eintity' pid='492551' dateline='1373481737']
[quote]
Sir, if we actually fully learned a subject, homework would be not be needed considering the student fully understands said subject.
[/quote]
Hm, changing your words a bit, aren't you? If schools actually taught us something, we wouldn't get homework, is what I was replying to. This is not the same as: Sir, if we actually fully learned a subject, homework would be not be needed .

The difference lies in the use of the words 'get' and 'need', which do not have the same meaning, in case you weren't aware.
07-11-2013 07:23 AM
 Thanks given by: Potato
EntityCubed Offline
Back In Black

I require whoever replies to agree.

07-11-2013 08:34 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , HawkbitAlpha
Potato Offline
Pariah

Given 64 thank(s) in 50 post(s)

i'm replying and i don't agree. what u gona do bro??

"I never said half the shit people say i did." -Albert Einstein

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail, there is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers. That is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."-Stephen Hawking

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
07-11-2013 09:45 PM
Potato Offline
Pariah

no offense but "I require whoever replies to agree" is the most pathetic and retarded thread post i've ever seen.

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail, there is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers. That is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."-Stephen Hawking

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
07-11-2013 09:48 PM
EntityCubed Offline
Back In Black

(07-11-2013 09:48 PM)Potato Wrote:  no offense but "I require whoever replies to agree" is the most pathetic and retarded thread post i've ever seen.
Why is everyone on this thread a faggot?
Go be fags on the Frag Arena.

07-11-2013 10:51 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Am I the only one who understood what Eintity meant just by reading the subject line?

Seems unnecessary to go all grammar nazi over a couple of word choices.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
07-12-2013 12:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: no , HawkbitAlpha , EntityCubed , Lime
Potato Offline
Pariah

^wow soul, what is it about "I require whoever replies to agree" that made you find it deserving of a thank? is it the arrogance of making rules that he can't enforce or the shameless close-mindedness towards anyone who doesn't agree with him?

07-12-2013 01:52 AM
Potato Offline
Pariah

Quote:Am I the only one who understood what Eintity meant just by reading the subject line?

no, it's very simple and easy to understand. here's a complete translation: "hurr. i don't like homework. hhuuuur"

07-12-2013 02:04 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:^wow soul, what is it about "I require whoever replies to agree" that made you find it deserving of a thank? is it the arrogance of making rules that he can't enforce or the shameless close-mindedness towards anyone who doesn't agree with him?
I found it amusing.

Quote:no, it's very simple and easy to understand. here's a complete translation: "hurr. i don't like homework. hhuuuur"
lol hurrrr i dunno how to reeed lol durrrr

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
07-12-2013 02:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: HawkbitAlpha
Potato Offline
Pariah

Quote:lol hurrrr i dunno how to reeed lol durrrr
sucks for you. hurhurrr

07-12-2013 03:23 AM
Thade_Chan Offline
Revolutionary

Given 13 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

(07-12-2013 12:24 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Am I the only one who understood what Eintity meant just by reading the subject line?

Seems unnecessary to go all grammar nazi over a couple of word choices.
I'm just going to replace this on the table and leave it there. *pushes it closer* There.

I'm back~
07-12-2013 11:46 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

ACHTUNG! VATZ GOING UN HEIR? DAS FUHRER ORDERZ YOUVALL TO SIEG HEIL GRAMATICA OR BE EXECUTED. SCHNELL!

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
07-12-2013 05:06 PM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , HawkbitAlpha , Lime
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

I do find it amazing that 7 hours or whatever it is isn't considered enough. Parents complain when there isn't enough homework because they want something that'll shut the kids up and free up the TV.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
07-19-2013 01:39 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

All honesty, homework was never a problem for me...when I actually bothered to do it.

1-I finish work fast...any work. I always finished my tests 5-15 minutes before anyone else. My homework took have the time. Hell, I did a report in 5 hours AND got the highest grade on it(A report with a 2 week deadline and a 600 page book ).

2-Homework for classes I lost interest in thanks to the teacher(Math was the only one, and I stopped caring for it in 10th grade), I set up something with my group of friends. One kid would do all the math work, who was the "best" according to the teacher but also in my group of best friends(my best friends were all the males of the class who I've been with for some years, seeing that our class was pretty small), and I'd supply homework answers in return for his math work(like our history or science classes). It was good enough to get me through the year with a B(between B- and B+) by the end of the year in pre-calculus.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
07-19-2013 03:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  16 Things I Wish They Had Taught Me in School Miller0700 5 8,845 06-24-2016 11:20 PM
Last Post: gone
  Homework sucks! Homework is a WASTE OF TIME! Barricade 27 10,508 07-15-2015 03:27 AM
Last Post: sswbm
  Has High School taught you any real world stuff? scorchededge243 31 13,946 04-05-2014 05:25 AM
Last Post: WhatEvenIsThis
  I wouldn't be surprised if all schools were run by Zim craxyguy562 8 2,155 01-14-2014 12:30 PM
Last Post: craxyguy562
  Subjects thatvshould be taught in school IamNoone 30 8,918 03-14-2012 04:51 AM
Last Post: aCol
  Who was the meanest teacher who ever taught you? Ozone51 13 6,377 05-10-2011 12:24 PM
Last Post: Phrozen_Soul
  Taught nothing Tasty Waffles 4 1,289 05-22-2008 01:03 PM
Last Post: Tasty Waffles
  The only things School taught me Specter 18 3,465 12-11-2007 02:42 PM
Last Post: happy fool called Nigel
  When You Are Taught In School Darthmat 6 2,111 11-02-2007 02:55 AM
Last Post: Aya