RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Lets Get Started Now
VERevolution Offline
Defiant

Given 8 thank(s) in 3 post(s)
Lets Get Started Now

For ever a Lurker, never a Poster.
Might be even more said for. "Always watching, yet doing nothing about it."

Reading the Title of a previous thread, "Maybe we should start something" made me want to answer.

Lets start something.

My Username Identifies me as VERevolution, in short, "Voice of Educational Reform." This is what we hope to achieve, a Voice that empowers others to "do something about it" and that something is Revolution; to change, to Transform.
More Specifically, lets Change Public Education.

A bit about us, We started as an Idea running through 2012-13 by 3 High School Students who were tired of the institution that held us in their grasps.

A firm believe was set, A change must be made with Students, by Students, and for Students.
This doesn't mean others can't help, but instead this emphasizes the need for recognition of Students. Students can make a direct impact on their schools personally.

We believe it's time to step up to the plate and make this change.
And so we are.
We have documentation written on organization and guidelines that allow us to go in prepare rather than plunging in the dark.

Right now we're looking to open up a Think-Tank, and with this comes the need for the Voices themselves. This is where You come in.
Students, Teachers, Parents, Anyone with a interest in changing Public Education for the Students by the Students.

We're hoping to engage through Voice via Skype
If you're interested, Please PM your Skype Username, or
E-mail: VERpowered@gmail.com

If you wish to inquire more by other means, Post below and We'll be happy to respond.

Regards and Good Luck,
- Justin (On behalf of VERevolution)

Want to make a Change?
http://forums.school-survival.net/showth...?tid=29307
[Image: signature%20trans.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2013 01:33 PM by VERevolution.)
07-04-2013 01:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Night , no , SoulRiser , LedoS , HawkbitAlpha
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

Given 317 thank(s) in 184 post(s)
RE: Lets Get Started Now

I like your optimism. That's a bit of a rare trait here.

I do have skype, but I reserve it for my family and friends. Don't be offended by this, but I don't want to give it out to someone I don't know on the internet.

Despite this, I would love to be a part of this "think-tank". It's a great idea. We need people to stop moping and start thinking of solutions.

Again, I don't want to add you on skype, but I'll be happy to communicate with you another way.

Sub's Mental Log!
We've had a lot of fun, guys.
Fulltime Member, 2013-2014

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
07-04-2013 04:28 PM
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)
Lets Get Started Now

Oh look, another EFO.

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
07-05-2013 12:37 AM
VERevolution Offline
Defiant

(07-05-2013 12:37 AM)planetfall666 Wrote:  Oh look, another EFO.
Not sure what you mean by EFO... but alright then.

Want to make a Change?
07-05-2013 05:45 AM
Thade_Chan Offline
Revolutionary

Given 13 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

(07-04-2013 04:28 PM)SubCulture Wrote:  "think-tank".

I thought of Psych when I read that.... //Nerdy moment

But, yeah, sounds great in theory. But let's be honest. Who's going to listen to us?

I'm back~
07-05-2013 09:09 AM
 Thanks given by: HawkbitAlpha
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)

(07-05-2013 05:45 AM)VERevolution Wrote:  
(07-05-2013 12:37 AM)planetfall666 Wrote:  Oh look, another EFO.
Not sure what you mean by EFO... but alright then.

http://edfreedom.org

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
07-05-2013 10:12 AM
VERevolution Offline
Defiant

(07-05-2013 09:09 AM)Thade_Chan Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 04:28 PM)SubCulture Wrote:  "think-tank".

I thought of Psych when I read that.... //Nerdy moment

But, yeah, sounds great in theory. But let's be honest. Who's going to listen to us?

If you're willing to listen, that's truly the answer to your question.
There are a lot of Students out there who Feel exactly the same as you do, this forum is particular example.

Everyone is listening, whether or not they choose to do anything about it is a different story.
It's not about the who, it's about the how. And the how is Word of mouth.

As the Thread I mentioned previously so strongly expressed, an idea or notion can spread like wildfire given the opportunity and strength behind it.
VERevolution believes in a "change your education" ideology. We don't fall behind false pretenses, but rather admit and acknowledge every school is different. With different students, and different problems, you cannot tackle the issue with one swoop of a net.

It's the practice of getting on the local level and make a change there.
Let's be honest here, Education to a Student is usually the school that they're in.

They often don't know what's going on behind the doors of a school that's a mile away, the problems they face are those that are presented to them at that very moment.

This is why we firmly believe in offering a platform to ally those who have similar ideals and challenges, In the effort to bring that school a mile away to their very fingertips; Helping others solve their local problems, while simultaneously helping their own.

I think this is what sets us apart from most Reform Groups out there right now, they offer idealistic solutions for an broken system. The only way to solve an issue is by tackling the problem at it's roots. Convincing yourself to make a Change, and convincing other too.

As for EDO, I don't believe we are have much similarities to them, other than the agreement that the Infrastructure of what exists now is no longer working (or wasn't working in the first place).

Their Goals seem very far in the future, something unobtainable by our abilities in the here and now.
But! before I make any serious observations or opinions, I will have to look into what precisely they wish to accomplish, and how.

Want to make a Change?
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2013 10:44 AM by VERevolution.)
07-05-2013 10:43 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lets All Take a Vow of Silence SeReNiTY 3 1,679 02-26-2014 08:07 AM
Last Post: Ky
  Lets get with the program Almosthere 7 1,234 03-06-2008 06:15 AM
Last Post: Aya