RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My school managed not only enrage all the students but parents as well
Thade_Chan Offline
Revolutionary

Given 13 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

So next year, my school is putting in a uniform next year. It's not so much the uniforms but the way they told us we were going to have one.

So the official date for the final decision was on June 5th. Somewhere early May the junior (my class) council held an assembly where they told us they went out with the superintendent and bought the uniforms saying they weren't so bad. Not only did NONE of them tell us they did this, but say they hate the uniforms to us. So, we kinda got stuck with the because they wouldn't stand up for themselves and actually represent what LITERALLY EVERYONE was thinking. Which is what they're supposed to do.

Not only that but they don't enforce the code they have in place already. Tickets are supposed to be handed out or children any home if clothing is innapropriate. (Personally, I don't like these rules either but the point is its not enforced) they never do any of this. So we asked how they were going to enforce this new uniform and get this: THEY DON'T HAVE A CODE OF CONDUCT YET. The reason were getting it is because "we don't follow the current dress code"

Plus they're ridiculously expensive.

We brought all these reasons up and more at the assembly and what was all they could
say? "That has nothing to do with uniform"
Umm, what?

And HOW IN THE HELL we can afford uniforms with our school logo on them and such, when they're debating whether to shut down art and music, is beyond me.

I'm back~
06-29-2013 06:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lime Offline
Revolutionary

Given 84 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

In a dictated prison, conformity is highly valued.
06-29-2013 12:29 PM
 Thanks given by: HawkbitAlpha
тωιѕтє∂ Offline
Revolutionary

Given 34 thank(s) in 24 post(s)

What do you mean by "ridiculously expensive"? How mush is each one, and how many do you need to buy?

Twisted The Twisted Smiley Belongs To Twisted Twisted

"Treat every problem as a challenge, not a dead end. And treat every question like an obstacle worthy of your effort." -my friend's wise Asian father (Sounds better in Chinese)

OBNOXIOUSLY HUGE AND NOTICEABLE
06-30-2013 06:24 AM
Night Offline
Queen Mod

Given 372 thank(s) in 211 post(s)
RE: My school managed not only enrage all the students but parents as well

Here's what we do. Don't wear the uniform. And get as many people as you possibly can to also just not wear the uniform.

I'm hoping alt ed won't follow this. I mean we don't follow any of the other rules and our teachers really don't care. We wear hats, hoodies. Girls coming in with tight dresses that if you bend down everything shows.

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
06-30-2013 07:22 AM
Christian Hellhound Offline
Hellhound in a human body.

Given 51 thank(s) in 27 post(s)

(06-30-2013 07:22 AM)Night Wrote:  Here's what we do. Don't wear the uniform. And get as many people as you possibly can to also just not wear the uniform.

^ That could work but, pretty I'm sure half of them would back out at the last moment.
06-30-2013 09:14 AM
Night Offline
Queen Mod

Tell them not to back out. If even a third of the school does this, they can't suspend everyone. And it would make a point.

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
06-30-2013 09:33 AM
Thade_Chan Offline
Revolutionary

(06-30-2013 06:24 AM)La la la Wrote:  What do you mean by "ridiculously expensive"? How mush is each one, and how many do you need to buy?
One adult small shirt is 12$, the pants like 30$, if you buy them from the school, if not there then they want you to get them from
H&M and let's be honest no one is going to buy the crappy board stiff pants from the school. And I'm assuming you need enough for a week as most people can't afford to do laundry everyday. Just to be safe let's say two pairs. That's 84$ per kid minimum. My mom works part time at stop and shop and has 4 kids..... Hahaha NO

And that's just two SHORT SLEEVED shirts and two PANTS. Lets not forget about sweaters for the winter and shorts for the summer that again needs to be bought from the school.

I'm back~
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2013 01:34 PM by Thade_Chan.)
07-01-2013 01:31 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

My school had a dress code. It wasn't expensive for me because I wore only the polo and the khaki pants, no matter the season. No jacket, no sweater, no shorts...

But I agree. Uniforms tend not to be cheap. Course there goes another proof that school is nothing like a job, though they always love to compare it. I'm pretty sure certain occupations that actually require a specific dress code provide something known as an allowance?

It also can cause certain problems. My school had the principal changed a few times over my 5-12th grade at the school(5 principals over that span of time). Halfway through the year, the new guy decided to totally "revamp" the uniform, forcing everybody to buy new uniforms because the old one's were no longer accepted. And our uniforms were expensive I tell you. We were the one's who had to pay for the logo, we paid for the uniform and we had to pay for the shipping because you couldn't get them any other way.

I'm not necessarily against uniforms, but when you've got idiots responsible for it, the whole uniform thing becomes some fiasco.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
07-02-2013 10:48 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1468 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

Wear nothing to school; that way you can resist by not wearing the uniform, but at the same time you aren't wearing anything inappropriate

It's the perfect crime

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
07-02-2013 10:50 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

They might consider your skin inappropriate and ask you to take it off.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
07-02-2013 11:01 AM
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)

You dislike my clothing?

I have a simple solution. Don't look at my clothing.

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
07-02-2013 11:56 AM
Thade_Chan Offline
Revolutionary

(07-02-2013 10:50 AM)DoA Wrote:  Wear nothing to school; that way you can resist by not wearing the uniform, but at the same time you aren't wearing anything inappropriate

It's the perfect crime

I suggested this but my boyfriend gave me a look of "I'm a very jealous person an d if you show up naked ima have to kill anyone that looks at you"

I'm back~
07-02-2013 11:16 PM
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

Given 95 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

(07-02-2013 11:01 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  They might consider your skin inappropriate and ask you to take it off.

(07-02-2013 11:01 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  They might consider your skin inappropriate

(07-02-2013 11:01 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  ask you to take it off.

Ahahahaha

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP URITIYOGI (2016-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP WES/THEWAKE (2007-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

"Write me a little report of [my video], so I know you watched it, or you get another warning. One of my other goals is to make this forum a bit of my own class...So, tell me, how you feel about the new rule of having you do homework? Or you get another warning. So, do you want to do this or not?...Please send a PM and tell me if you're willing or not. I will probably give you 24 hours to send the PM. No PM will indicate to me that, no, you don't want to do things in this new way. So, you will be saying goodbye."
-Stevehein, promise-maker and Führer moderator of SJW-Survival, 2017

Hidden stuff:
07-05-2013 10:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thade_Chan Offline
Revolutionary

"Nope, you can't wear that. That fleshy thing on your body. Can't wear that. Remove it pleas."

I'm back~
07-05-2013 12:46 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

And as your tissues and blood and etc. pour out, you get an in-school suspension for damaging school property and endangering the lives of others. Your blood is making a mess and may get others sick!

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
07-05-2013 03:12 PM
Subb Offline
Music Nerd

Given 317 thank(s) in 184 post(s)

And then your parents yell at you when you get to the hospital. "Do you know how much this will cost us? You should be ashamed!"

Sub's Mental Log!
We've had a lot of fun, guys.
Fulltime Member, 2013-2014

RIP GWEDIN
RIP URITIYOGI
RIP NIGHT
RIP HANSGROHE
RIP VON
RIP WES
RIP USERNAME
07-05-2013 03:15 PM
revolution1221 Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

(06-29-2013 06:14 AM)Thade_Chan Wrote:  So next year, my school is putting in a uniform next year. It's not so much the uniforms but the way they told us we were going to have one.

So the official date for the final decision was on June 5th. Somewhere early May the junior (my class) council held an assembly where they told us they went out with the superintendent and bought the uniforms saying they weren't so bad. Not only did NONE of them tell us they did this, but say they hate the uniforms to us. So, we kinda got stuck with the because they wouldn't stand up for themselves and actually represent what LITERALLY EVERYONE was thinking. Which is what they're supposed to do.

Not only that but they don't enforce the code they have in place already. Tickets are supposed to be handed out or children any home if clothing is innapropriate. (Personally, I don't like these rules either but the point is its not enforced) they never do any of this. So we asked how they were going to enforce this new uniform and get this: THEY DON'T HAVE A CODE OF CONDUCT YET. The reason were getting it is because "we don't follow the current dress code"

Plus they're ridiculously expensive.

We brought all these reasons up and more at the assembly and what was all they could
say? "That has nothing to do with uniform"
Umm, what?

And HOW IN THE HELL we can afford uniforms with our school logo on them and such, when they're debating whether to shut down art and music, is beyond me.

Luckily enough my school doesn't have any strict dress code. But we can sure sympathize with you about the spending issue.
"Okay, guys, we can't afford school lunch that doesn't use meat so low in quality that Hebrew National would reject it, but we can afford cable in the teachers' lounge!"

(06-30-2013 07:22 AM)Night Wrote:  Here's what we do. Don't wear the uniform. And get as many people as you possibly can to also just not wear the uniform.

I'm hoping alt ed won't follow this. I mean we don't follow any of the other rules and our teachers really don't care. We wear hats, hoodies. Girls coming in with tight dresses that if you bend down everything shows.

Mass protests rarely work, as AnimeLuxray25 said, half the people would back out. What you need to do is launch a protest that would not violate the dress code and would target those responsible for this decision. I recommend a letter or petition.
07-06-2013 03:23 AM
Thade_Chan Offline
Revolutionary

Those seem desperate like we're pleading. Plus, we already did that. Had an entire website up for an online petition too and they threw the person who did it out claiming they didn't have a right to be there because it was a closed session.

Actually, don't quote me on the last part. I heard that through the grapevine so who knows how untrue that is by now.

But, we did have an online petition, that obviously got disregarded because they went through with it anyways even though SO MANY PARENTS SIGNED IT. they even wrote comments that the person who started it said will be shown to the board of Ed.

I'm back~
07-06-2013 07:52 AM
Night Offline
Queen Mod

Start another petition. We're not going to get rid of this ridiculous uniform bullshit by sitting on our asses. And me being in alt ed. Not much I can do in general. Alt ed students are lucky to even get notification of picture day and the sort.

I'm a girl ffffeck
Hidden stuff:
07-06-2013 08:12 AM
Thade_Chan Offline
Revolutionary

Alt is getting them too I heard

I'm back~
07-06-2013 12:21 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Time to arrest students for skipping school/class, UnschoolShqiponjë 26 8,566 04-27-2017 06:27 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  My parents think im selling pills at school. L0KI 8 2,946 02-22-2017 01:19 AM
Last Post: L0KI
  Parents wanting school to be demolished. DrGordonFreeman 4 2,614 01-14-2017 06:43 AM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  How many students do you think actually dislike school? thy 21 6,321 09-03-2016 10:39 AM
Last Post: HSHARK
  What would your parents do to you if you got in a fight at school? Let's Pretend This Account Never Existed 15 4,396 09-19-2015 02:05 PM
Last Post: James Comey
  Students show up to school to find no room in classrooms sswbm 1 1,763 08-26-2015 08:24 AM
Last Post: TheCancer
  Hangout tonight (Friday, 3/20) @ 7PM: How to talk to your parents about school xcriteria 2 1,689 03-21-2015 09:10 AM
Last Post: xcriteria
  How to talk to your parents about school lisafromjackson 1 1,141 03-05-2015 12:08 PM
Last Post: lisafromjackson
  Michigan students march to end ‘zero tolerance’ approach to school discipline WalterScottDempsey 52 15,906 02-22-2015 04:30 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Students who found an alternative, explaining school vs. North Star xcriteria 0 1,365 02-07-2015 02:59 AM
Last Post: xcriteria